Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Don't Pump Gas on May 15th!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
John C. Hill
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 10:03 am      Reply with quote
I normally don't follow e-mails like this and I just received it a few minutes ago. BUT, considering how the price has skyrocketed in just a couple of weeks for no identifiable reason, I think I'm going to go for it. Here's what it said:

Don't pump gas on May 15th

NO GAS...On May 15th 2007
Don't pump gas on may 15th
...in April 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in protest
of gas prices. Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight.

On May 15th 2007, all internet users are to not go to a gas station in
protest of high gas prices. Gas is now over $3.00 a gallon in most places.

There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the internet network,
and the average car takes about 30 to 50 dollars to fill up.

If all users did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take
$2,292,000,000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION) out of the oil companies
pockets for just one day, so please do not go to the gas station on May
15th and lets try to put a dent in the Middle Eastern oil industry for at
least one day.

If you agree (which I cant see why you wouldn't) resend this to all your
contact list. With it saying, ''Don't pump gas on May 15th"

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 10:17 am      Reply with quote
John, most of our oil and gas comes from outside the Middle east, but I am with you in spirit. There are certainly plenty of other reasons to be conserving gas and oil.
John C. Hill
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 10:24 am      Reply with quote
Good point, although I believe if you can affect the price of a barrel of crude, no matter where it comes from, the ripple effect will hit all of the producers. The only thing I worry about is affecting the livelyhood of independent gas station owners who don't have much control over the gas they sell,and are desperately trying to make a living. May 15th will be damaging to them individually.

John

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 10:25 am      Reply with quote
You'd faint clean away if you saw how much we pay for petrol over here.
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 10:43 am      Reply with quote
They would majorb. They just don't realise how much more we pay in tax & petrol. A friend of mine had a petrol station they made a profit of 1p a gallon. They closed because it wasn't worth the hassle. The government makes the most as usual.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 10:43 am      Reply with quote
All right, John. I will not pump on 5/15.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 11:20 am      Reply with quote
John C. Hill wrote:
If all users did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take
$2,292,000,000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION) out of the oil companies
pockets for just one day

Yes...... and it would add the same amount to their pockets the days leading up May 15th and the days after May 15th. Wink

Unless everyone that does this also reduces their driving the demand for gas will essentially be the same. It doesn't matter what the demand is on any given day-it is overall demand that matters.
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 11:30 am      Reply with quote
true gas prices dropped almost a dollar after the last no gas day! If everyone did this say every 15th of the month, it might work long term. It is def a supply and demand pricing.
alibabka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 11:35 am      Reply with quote
I think Theresa's point is that the demand may well be UP on the 14th and 16th -- but hopefully just the exersize will have people mindful of conservation issues.... AND the downward (and upward) blip(s) reported in the news afterward will be illuminating in themselves, and possibly inspiring for the following year.
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 11:41 am      Reply with quote
MelissaMarie wrote:
true gas prices dropped almost a dollar after the last no gas day! If everyone did this say every 15th of the month, it might work long term. It is def a supply and demand pricing.

it is a lont term work!
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
I'd give anything for our petrol (gas) prices to be the equivalent of $3 a gallon!

About 75% of the price we pay in the UK is tax.
alibabka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
We US Americans owe the rest of the world a huge debt of gratitude for paying high fuel prices, and therefore doing the conserving we ourselves should be doing. Things are bound to catch up with us.
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
I think I was doing that once when I was told by a friend not to pump gas. However, that will mean the gas station will increase the price the day after, so it won't make much difference except we will have to pay more later on. The best way is to be more conservative with driving...
annie313
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
I'm on board, no gas 5/15. Rumor has it that gas may be going to $4.00 a gal. this summer. Sad
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
sarahb wrote:
I'd give anything for our petrol (gas) prices to be the equivalent of $3 a gallon!

I'd give anything for your public transportation systems...

I won't be pumping on the 15th either.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
Sundew wrote:
sarahb wrote:

Believe me, you wouldn't. Not in the UK.

Most of the trains and buses are late and unreliable - that's if they actually bother to run. The prices are excruciatingly expensive, journey times are outrageously long for even the shortest of journeys (45 minutes for me to travel 2 or 3 miles into the nearest city), the train lines are so antiquated that trains are always breaking down, there's no room so you usually have to stand (they decided to "resolve" this situation by making even less trains available Rolling Eyes ), routes and times are limited (no buses to or from our local city centre after about 9.30pm), etc.

They put up petrol tax prices to exorbitant levels in order to force people onto public transport - but they make the public transport almost unusable. That's the good old UK for you.
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
I am all for changing our prices on gas, but lets face it, if we all don't get gas on the 15th we will all have to get it sometime, so they are getting our money and we all have to get to work...so if I need gas on the 15th, I have to fill up.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
bergquis wrote:
I am all for changing our prices on gas, but lets face it, if we all don't get gas on the 15th we will all have to get it sometime, so they are getting our money and we all have to get to work...so if I need gas on the 15th, I have to fill up.

agreed. My tank of gas lasts me two weeks. From today, that is exactly May 15th. That means I WILL BE fueling up that day. There is no way I will be able to get anywhere without a mode of transportation in my city. I do like someones suggestion of if this was a 'regular' thing (i.e. 15th every month, maybe something can be achieved). But honestly, when you need it, you'll go get it. Just the way it works.

And I've heard $5 for summer Sad . Again, nothing compared to other countries such as those in Europe.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
I just marked my calendar and will bicycle that day, not drive!

If we all did this think of how much weight would be lost Surprised

Thanks for informing us!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
It would be better if no driving (single passenger vehicle) on May 15th.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 02, 2007 12:05 am      Reply with quote
Sundew wrote:
sarahb wrote:

That's a joke right??!?! What public transportation systems?? It costs a fortune, is never on time and I wouldn't travel on it on my own!
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 02, 2007 4:47 am      Reply with quote
Ditto Sarahb!

My journey to work from a fairly rural area to a large city is 23miles and takes me about 45mins on average, to drive, unless the traffic is especially bad. I have a newish average 4 seater car and it costs me £48 to fill up with unleaded, which I have to do every week (what with other chores/errands I have to run).

If I take public transport I have to catch a bus to the nearest rural train station (IF it turns up!) which costs just under a £ (no returns before 9am) or walk 2 miles along an unlit country road. Then I wait for the train (which may or may not be on time or even turn up!). Invariably is is full and I have to stand or even wait for the next one - journey to city then takes about the same time as my drive (except you have to add the bus trip on too) - it takes me 20 - 30mins LONGER by public transport and costs me about £10 a DAY just for the train without the bus/parking on top so its more expensive than taking the car which I still need to do the other errands anyway so it ends up costing me way more! The bus to the station only runs morning and evening so if I have the audacity to take a half day I have to walk the 2 miles back home which I don't mind except when its boiling hot or pouring with rain! I could drive to the station and park there (costs £1.20 a day to park) and risk having my car vandalised or take a bicycle and risk having it nicked (no room to get it on board train with me).

The bus is an even bigger joke - cheaper but takes 2 and a half hours as I have to go into the city centre then back out again and 4 changes.

Public Transport here is a joke and the fuel prices are sky high but I'd rather be sat in my car in the aircon with my fav CD on in a traffic jam than stood cramped like a sardine with a close encounter of someone elses sweaty armpit!! I try to be as 'green' as possible (recycle/water conserve etc) but if they want people to stop using their cars they need to make Public transport a realistic, cost effective, reliable alternative rather than an unpleasant, expensive marathon to be endured!!(Sorry rant over!!) Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 02, 2007 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
OK...please don't yell at me, but I work for an oil company. (and no, I don't get a discount either!) About 1/2 of the price we pay at the pump is for taxes (Fed, State, local..). And, gasoline is priced based on the price of a barrel of crude oil (you can look at NYMEX for that). It is really a market economy, based on supply and demand. Prices go up/down based on the availability of crude. Now, this is just my opinion...but the only way to truly reduce the price is to reduce the demand (use less gasoline), then we in the U.S. wouldn't be so dependent on foreign oil and be held hostage to the whims of OPEC, etc. And, I have traveled the world a bit...and the gasoline prices here in the U.S. are much cheaper than anywhere else. So, I'm thankful for that as a consumer.
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
And the oil companies are bringing in a pretty penny and we ALL know it. They need to help us out and "take a hit" on the price a little. I think it was Exxon/Mobile who posted profits in the 10 billion range. THAT meaning posted profits.

Exxon Mobil posts record profit of $10.7 billion
Fourth-quarter earnings top targets for world's largest oil company

Now why do they need to make that much money, when we are barely getting by, selling larger cars, driving less (which yes good for the environment) but we are needing to do all these things just to survive and they are posting earnings like this? I do not give them any kudos.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
I live just 4 miles from work but buy the bus pass so I can take either the bus or train to work. My company subsidizes $20 a month, so I pay $32, which is not a bad deal. However, the MTA is proposing to increase the monthly pass to $75 a month instead of $52 currently to take effect in July this year, and in 2009, the monthly pass will become $99. I will not be taking the bus or train if it gets to be that much. I do have a bike, but I tried riding it once to work and it took me an hour. My knees were sore after that for days. I walked home from work before, too. It took 1 hr 20 mins. Anyway on 5/15, I will make sure I ride my bike to the train station and then ride the train to the station near work, and ride the bike to my office building.

Trying my best to conserve!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:26 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |