Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Glowy, Dewy Skin with Oil Pulling!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
Mary H. wrote:
Hi ScotsLass! wave

Thank you so much for adding to this thread...your info has been SO helpful! I went right out and got some refined sesame oil and will probably get some OoO also!

Okay...here come the dumb questions! If they were answered somewhere else in this thread, forgive me in advance (I didn't see they were, but I could've missed something)! Embarassed I understand that the saliva is very toxic post-pulling, and thus you need to clean your mouth completely afterward. Is the salt water rinse all you do, or do you brush again afterward? And if you do brush after pulling, do you have to sterilize your brush in some way? Or does the toothpaste kill any remaining toxins?

Mary Smile

Hi Mary!!!

You have asked some EXCELLENT questions that were not discussed at all, so thank you for bringing these issues to every one's attention!!! I immediately rinse my mouth 2-3 times with salt water after I oil pull and then I brush my teeth with toothpaste because I want to remove any lingering oily residue from my teeth in addition to improving the taste in my mouth! Wink I then take half a capful of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (a large bottle can be purchased for a dollar at the drug store), and pour it over the bristles of my toothbrush. I do not rinse this off until I'm ready to use my brush again before bedtime. At that time I run the bristles under warm water then apply my toothpaste and away I go. I personally think it is important to make sure your toothbrush is extra clean if you are using it immediately after you oil pull. As you so wisely pointed out, the toxins you've just pulled could possibly transfer to your toothbrush, so I feel strongly that you should really clean the bristles of your brush thoroughly (even a splash of antibacterial mouthwash over the brush will help!). I also do not trust toothpaste alone as an agent that is strong enough. It may be fine, but I'd rather err on the side of caution and not have to worry about.

Thanks again for asking these great questions Mary and happy pulling!!! wave

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
lefemme wrote:
Hi Ladies... I may have missed something, but how many times a day are you supposed to do the oil pulling???

I am pulling once a day for 10-15 minutes before breakfast. My goal is to reach 20 minutes as this is supposedly the time it takes for your body to pull the most toxins. If you are just starting out, you will likely find that you will pull once a day for 5 minutes and want to stop. That's okay as most people find they have to work up to longer pulls. Those who pull 2X a day may be doing so in an attempt to resolve certain health problems.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
ScotsLass wrote:
Mary H. wrote:
Hi ScotsLass! wave

Thank you so much for adding to this thread...your info has been SO helpful! I went right out and got some refined sesame oil and will probably get some OoO also!

Okay...here come the dumb questions! If they were answered somewhere else in this thread, forgive me in advance (I didn't see they were, but I could've missed something)! Embarassed I understand that the saliva is very toxic post-pulling, and thus you need to clean your mouth completely afterward. Is the salt water rinse all you do, or do you brush again afterward? And if you do brush after pulling, do you have to sterilize your brush in some way? Or does the toothpaste kill any remaining toxins?

Mary Smile

Hi Mary!!!

You have asked some EXCELLENT questions that were not discussed at all, so thank you for bringing these issues to every one's attention!!! I immediately rinse my mouth 2-3 times with salt water after I oil pull and then I brush my teeth with toothpaste because I want to remove any lingering oily residue from my teeth in addition to improving the taste in my mouth! Wink I then take half a capful of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (a large bottle can be purchased for a dollar at the drug store), and pour it over the bristles of my toothbrush. I do not rinse this off until I'm ready to use my brush again before bedtime. At that time I run the bristles under warm water then apply my toothpaste and away I go. I personally think it is important to make sure your toothbrush is extra clean if you are using it immediately after you oil pull. As you so wisely pointed out, the toxins you've just pulled could possibly transfer to your toothbrush, so I feel strongly that you should really clean the bristles of your brush thoroughly (even a splash of antibacterial mouthwash over the brush will help!). I also do not trust toothpaste alone as an agent that is strong enough. It may be fine, but I'd rather err on the side of caution and not have to worry about.

Scott what type of "Salt" do you use to make salt water to rinse after oil pull?

I was told to drink himayalan salt/water/ and lemon for altnernative of HCL (Hydrochloride tablets)

Also, do you know anything about a "neti Pot"

i heard this helps with dark circles alot!!!!

Smile
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
Just out of curiousity, does this not make anyone else's cheek/neck/tongue muscles sore to do for so long? All that pulling/sucking through my teeth really starts to strain the muscles in this area after only a few minutes. I'm not even pulling hard, just enough to slowly pull/suck it back and forth between the teeth. They say this slower method is the best practice, not just swishing it around like you would mouthwash, but I can't do it very long!
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
ScotsLass - I know we keep jumping around from thread to thread but I just post as I think about these things. Laughing Anyway, I just bought some additional Greens+ in the berry flavor off of the site you gave us. It ended up being around $63 USD with shipping for the largest size (2 month supply) which isn't bad at all. They are charging $34 for a one month supply in the stores and that doesn't include sales tax.

I'm already feeling some detox effects and I just started with 1.5 teaspoons yesterday. I was fine until this morning. When it came my usual time to get up, I was SO sleepy I felt like I had been drugged. I'm feeling that way again this afternoon as well and just want to go home and sleep! Oh well, I know it's just another hump I have to get over to start enjoying the real benefits. Thanks for the link!!! Very Happy

Hi TAMgirl!! wave Glad you found the link to the greens+ products helpful! You sound a lot like me in terms of detox sensitivity. I had to go very slowly when I first began taking the greens+ powders or I felt 'off' too! And I know what you mean by that tired feeling - this is all a result of your body working hard to detoxify. I assure you that things will balance out in the next few weeks and you'll notice a definite increase in your energy levels. Another product to consider if you are the type that tires often whether or not you are going through a detox phase, is the Greens+Extra Energy powder or the Extra Energy tablets. This is the powder I recommended to Scally because she suffers from fatigue issues (that are not connected to detoxing) and she has said she really LOVES this powder!!! Her energy levels have significantly improved and for this she is very pleased. In your case, I think I'm leaning more towards the tablets so that you can control how much extra energy you want. Of course you could always try a small bottle of the greens+ powder with the extra boosters rather than a large one to test it out. In the meantime try 1 teaspoon of your green+ tomorrow and see if this makes a difference. Everyone is different and you may be like me who had to start with very small doses and work up slowly during a 30 day period. I hope you're feeling better soon!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
Just out of curiousity, does this not make anyone else's cheek/neck/tongue muscles sore to do for so long? All that pulling/sucking through my teeth really starts to strain the muscles in this area after only a few minutes. I'm not even pulling hard, just enough to slowly pull/suck it back and forth between the teeth. They say this slower method is the best practice, not just swishing it around like you would mouthwash, but I can't do it very long!

what is the green drink called?
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
tasha92337 wrote:
Scott what type of "Salt" do you use to make salt water to rinse after oil pull?

I was told to drink himayalan salt/water/ and lemon for altnernative of HCL (Hydrochloride tablets)

Smile

Hi Tasha!!! wave
I use fine mediterranean sea salt (bought at the supermarket) in my salt water rinse after I oil pull. I have never tried Himalayan salt in a mixture of water and lemon, but it sounds excellent as an adjunct to any cleansing program. I have also heard lots of wonderful things about Neti Pots and have had one on my shopping list for a while now! This simple looking pot is apparently very effective at clearing congestion and pressure in the sinuses and nasal passages by irrigating them with a saline solution. It looks funny and sounds kinda gross, but it is painless and over in a matter of minutes. So what the heck, if it works and you end up clearing out mucous and allergens that get trapped in your sinus and nasal cavities then I am going to give it a shot. I have also heard that this is a good way to reduce dark circles under your eyes if the root cause of this problem is connected to sinus and allergy issues. Are you thinking of trying a neti pot too?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:

I haven't found this to be a problem because I think I use my tongue a lot to push the oil through my teeth, then I gently suck it back. I haven't noticed any straining effect on my facial/neck muscles doing this though. I think I'll pay more attention to what I'm doing tomorrow (I tend to OP while reading posts throughout EDS to help the time fly by quicker! Wink ).

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
ScotsLass wrote:
Mary H. wrote:
Hi ScotsLass! wave

Mary Smile

Hi Mary!!!

Thank you ScotsLass...you're awesome!! This is super helpful info, and I will start tomorrow!!

Have a wonderful weekend!!

Mary Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
Mary H. wrote:
[Thank you ScotsLass...you're awesome!! This is super helpful info, and I will start tomorrow!!

Have a wonderful weekend!!

Mary Very Happy

You are so welcome, Mary!!! Just try to keep in mind that OP'ing takes some time to get used to, so don't be surprised if you find yourself gagging or only pull for 5 minutes in the beginning! These reactions tend to come with the territory! Cool

Have an excellent weekend also!!! wave

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
Well I'm happy to see some other OP'ers here. I've been doing it since maybe March. I swish about 1 tsp of cold pressed, organic sunflower oil at a time; then spit when my mouth feels too full, take another tsp, etc. First thing in the morning, I get my cup with a little oil, put the coffee on and head up to the shower. I swish while showering. (multitasking, that's moi) I lean out & spit into the toilet when I need to, then take more oil. After 20 minutes I rinse well with warm salt water, then brush, and scrape my tongue. I've also given up using flouridated toothpaste; I've been using EcoDent, which is just sea salt/baking soda with a little peppermint flavoring, so when that's gone I'll just make up my own.

I was really hoping for the 'dewy, glowing' skin and deep sleep that some people get from OP'ing. I haven't seen that yet, but my teeth are amazingly clean, and much whiter than they were before. OP'ing is just part of my routine now, and I like it.

Scalawaggirl--thanks for the black seed info, I'd never heard of it before! I'll probably give it a try.
tasha92337
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
ScotsLass wrote:
tasha92337 wrote:

Smile

Hi Tasha!!! wave
I use fine mediterranean sea salt (bought at the supermarket) in my salt water rinse after I oil pull. I have never tried Himalayan salt in a mixture of water and lemon, but it sounds excellent as an adjunct to any cleansing program. I have also heard lots of wonderful things about Neti Pots and have had one on my shopping list for a while now! This simple looking pot is apparently very effective at clearing congestion and pressure in the sinuses and nasal passages by irrigating them with a saline solution. It looks funny and sounds kinda gross, but it is painless and over in a matter of minutes. So what the heck, if it works and you end up clearing out mucous and allergens that get trapped in your sinus and nasal cavities then I am going to give it a shot. I have also heard that this is a good way to reduce dark circles under your eyes if the root cause of this problem is connected to sinus and allergy issues. Are you thinking of trying a neti pot too?

Yes I was thinking about buying a neti pot!

Have you tried one before?
tasha92337
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
ScotsLass-

Yes, I will get into neti pot but i have a question do you think its best that i drink "Kefir". I heard good and bad things about it for candida. Also, i will get into oregano oil like you said. Smile

But i also take a liquid vitamin and trace minerals that contain vitamin b's.

I heard that vitamin b is bad for candida. is this true?

and I do suffer with anxiety and depression and i need something to keep my level at a normal pace.

Please help

thanks

Smile
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
tasha - I'm curious as to what you heard bad about kefir and candida? Kefir is wonderful in the fight against candida!
tasha92337
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
tasha - I'm curious as to what you heard bad about kefir and candida? Kefir is wonderful in the fight against candida!

TAMgirl99-

Ive read some good and bad info on curezone.com about kefir. Some say take it, some say no

Thats why im so confused. But i guess it is an excellent thing!

Thanks alot

Smile
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
tasha92337 wrote:
ScotsLass-

Yes, I will get into neti pot but i have a question do you think its best that i drink "Kefir". I heard good and bad things about it for candida. Also, i will get into oregano oil like you said. Smile

and I do suffer with anxiety and depression and i need something to keep my level at a normal pace.

Please help

thanks

Smile

Hello Tasha!!! I just sent you a PM, okay!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
ScotsLass wrote:
tasha92337 wrote:
ScotsLass-

Please help

thanks

Smile

Hello Tasha!!! I just sent you a PM, okay!

Thanks !!!
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
Gosh Embarassed one thing I noticed since I joined this board; I have been really busy: I am now dermawanding, dermarolling,facial flexing,etc...and now I have to oil pull too! I am so busy trying to stay up on the latest techniques to stay looking good I have little time for anything else! Embarassed
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 12, 2007 6:41 am      Reply with quote
tasha92337 wrote:
TAMgirl99-

Ive read some good and bad info on curezone.com about kefir. Some say take it, some say no

Thanks alot

Smile

Tasha - when I was doing my research on it for my candida fight plan, the only thing I questioned was the fact that it contains a few strains of yeast itself. However, the yeast it contains are NOT the yeast that get out of control and cause problems (candida) but instead are yeast that help us maintain normal balance in our digestive track. Not only are the yeast in kefir good for us, but they are dominant to candida and take them over.

I think the only other thing you want to consider is that the flavored ones have sugar in them (a candida no-no) but at the same time it has enough probiotics/good yeast that I don't think the small amount of sugar really matters. However, this is also why I prefer the plain kefir! HTH! Very Happy
tasha92337
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 12, 2007 6:43 am      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
tasha92337 wrote:
TAMgirl99-

Thanks alot

Smile

Tasha - when I was doing my research on it for my candida fight plan, the only thing I questioned was the fact that it contains a few strains of yeast itself. However, the yeast it contains are NOT the yeast that get out of control and cause problems (candida) but instead are yeast that help us maintain normal balance in our digestive track. Not only are the yeast in kefir good for us, but they are dominant to candida and take them over.

I think the only other thing you want to consider is that the flavored ones have sugar in them (a candida no-no) but at the same time it has enough probiotics/good yeast that I don't think the small amount of sugar really matters. However, this is also why I prefer the plain kefir! HTH! Very Happy

Thank You so much for explaining it .

Stop what im doing, and heading to the store
tasha92337
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 12, 2007 6:44 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone know if oil pulling is excellent to do while you are on your period??
tasha92337
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 13, 2007 6:25 am      Reply with quote
Scott

I have a question, what can I replace Threelac product for?

**What are you taking when it comes to adding extra antioxidants? (multi-vitamin)

I just ordered organo oil and black seeed oil and kefir and Humaworm from curezone.com
Sheens
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 13, 2007 11:57 am      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl wrote:
Mary H. wrote:
Scally, if you don't mind me picking your brain, what are the benefits of black cumin seed oil? I'm intrigued! And can you find it at the health food store?

Mary Very Happy

No problem. I'm not so sure, if you can find it at the HFS but it's worth a shot. I buy mine here:www.blackseedusa.com. Delivery's a bit slow but they are nice people with quality product. Here's a cursory list of benefits:

Black seed regulates too weak or too strong reactions of the immune system and is excellent for treating chronic, allergic and hormonal diseases.It uses are many as well as its benefits. Black seed supports metabolism, improves digestion, and lowers blood sugar levels. It is used to dispel worms and parasites from the intestinal track. It is useful in soothing bronchitis and coughs,increases body tone, stimulates menstrual periods, provides quick energy, calms the nervous system, encourages hair growth and retards hair fall out, prevents skin wrinkling, and much more.

I am taking either 1 tsp. or 3 tabs 3x/day w/meals and have had a 95% reduction in allergy symptoms even with the high pollen counts (zero allergy tabs of late) and my windows have been open. My sugar cravings have diminished to almost zip, my mind has been clearer with more ability to focus, and I've experienced a calm energy that is prolonged throughout the day but I am able to sleep deeply. It is my new favorite supplement up there with MSM and I just ordered another bottle (16 oz. this time), which I will always have on hand. It is wonderful, wonderful stuff. I recommend picking up the book "The Healing Power of Black Cumin" by Sylvia Luetjohann. It's an excellent reference.

Interesting, especialy the part about regulating the immune system.

I have a reactive arthrirtis, which basically means that my immune system is overactive and is attacking my joints!

Would you recommend taking some black seed oil as being better than eating the black cumin itself? Also, would it help the immune system if I used it in the oil pulling method also?

And how long did it take you to feel the benefits?

Apologies for asking so many questions! I'm just desperate to find something that will get rid of the arthritis!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 13, 2007 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
Sheens, I am sure it can help; I noticed the effects almost immediately and I know it does work on the immune system as I do not have any more allergies since I started on the BCSO. Personally, I use both the seeds and oil but I opt to take the oil in liquid (when at home) or caps when on the road as it's more concentrated. JMO, though. Give it a shot, it's wondrous stuff. As for the oil pulling and affecting the immune system, not sure but I enjoy the flavor so figure I'm getting something from it. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 13, 2007 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the info Smile

Im tempted to order some of the oil right away! We have black seed in the house (not the oil), as my mum says its the cure for everything, but I'd dismissed it as being an old wives tale, heh. Its interesting to read that it has helped so much with your allergies.

Right, off to internet shop for some oil!

Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:16 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |