Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Book swapping sites?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2007 10:31 am      Reply with quote
Book swapping sites are my latest obsession. I love that I can browse through them like a good book store, but then get any book I want for free! It's like a library but way better since if I like the book I can keep it or pass it on to my sister or mom. Right now I'm only using two book swapping sites, but I was wondering if there are any others? The two I'm using both have their own pros and cons. The first one I'm using is called paperbackswap.com. I guess I like this one the best because it's the easiest to use, and if a book you want isn't available you can reserve it on your wishlist. You are put in line based on what order you reserved the book in, and when it's your turn you have first dibs on the book. I also like that once you list 9 books you get 3 free tokens, so you can start ordering books right away.

The other site I use is called bookmooch.com. It's not quite as easy to navigate and you don't get 3 free tokens for order books, however, you do get 1/10 of a point for every book you list, so if you list a lot of books you can end up with a lot of points in a hurry. However, when you put a book on you wishlist you don't necessarily have first dibs on it, so it can be harder to get more popular books on this site since it's first come, first serve. Overall though I would recommend both sites to people who like to read. Are there any other book swapping sites I'm missing, ladies?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2007 3:31 am      Reply with quote
i dont swap books, but i have come across some swap sites when i tried to search for some cheap textbooks:
http://www.eswapnow.com/
http://www.readitswapit.co.uk/TheLibrary.aspx
http://www.titletrader.com/

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2007 8:37 am      Reply with quote
Oh, darn! Why didn't I open this thread sooner!
Bookswapping is something I've never heard of and I must buy about 3 books a week. Lucky to get 25 cents when I sell them to the used book store.

It's great to know about book swapping.
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2007 9:52 am      Reply with quote
How does the shipping costs work? Does the person who wants your book pay for the shipping, or do you have to find someone that has a book you want and who also wants one of your books and you each pay the shipping for that book? Does that make sense, I think I just confused myself. Smile
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2007 10:35 am      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
How does the shipping costs work? Does the person who wants your book pay for the shipping, or do you have to find someone that has a book you want and who also wants one of your books and you each pay the shipping for that book? Does that make sense, I think I just confused myself. Smile

On both of the sites I use it works the same way: you pay for shipping when you mail a book to someone, but then when someone mails a book to you they pay for the shipping, so it evens out in the end. If you use Media Mail the shipping cost is not much at all--- much cheaper than buying a new book or even buying from half.com! Paperbackswap.com I think is US only, however, you have the option of swapping internationally at bookmooch.com. What happens then is if someone from another country wants your book and you agree to send it, you get 3 tkoens (in other words, 3 books) instead of 1 to offset the higher shipping cost. I love it when people from other countries request books from me because then I know I can pick out three more books. Does this clear things up a bit?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2007 11:15 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
Diana P wrote:

On both of the sites I use it works the same way: you pay for shipping when you mail a book to someone, but then when someone mails a book to you they pay for the shipping, so it evens out in the end. If you use Media Mail the shipping cost is not much at all--- much cheaper than buying a new book or even buying from half.com! Paperbackswap.com I think is US only, however, you have the option of swapping internationally at bookmooch.com. What happens then is if someone from another country wants your book and you agree to send it, you get 3 tkoens (in other words, 3 books) instead of 1 to offset the higher shipping cost. I love it when people from other countries request books from me because then I know I can pick out three more books. Does this clear things up a bit?

Yes it does, thank you. This is something I am definiety going to look into, as I love to read and spend way too much on books. I do love summer though and all the garage sales, as this is when I stock up for the winter. Smile
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2007 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
i have even not heard books swapping before!
it is interesting! i like this!
michelec
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2007 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
I use paperbackswap.com like crazy and it runs so smoothly. No complaints so far. Their online system is great and they are always improving it.

There is some variability in the books. Some have seemed new and some were fairly worn. So you have to be flexible that way.

But it makes it so you can have a library of just 20 books at your home. Then you just rotate. It's great if your place is small or if you tend to hoard books.

Michele

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2007 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
michelec wrote:
I use paperbackswap.com like crazy and it runs so smoothly. No complaints so far. Their online system is great and they are always improving it.

There is some variability in the books. Some have seemed new and some were fairly worn. So you have to be flexible that way.

But it makes it so you can have a library of just 20 books at your home. Then you just rotate. It's great if your place is small or if you tend to hoard books.

Michele

Michele, like you I've had an awesome experience with paperbackswap.com. I used to be a total book hoarder, but I ran out of space. Still, I didn't want to give my beloved books to a used book store for pennies per book, so sending them to a loving home AND getting another book in exchange is the way to go for me!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2007 11:49 am      Reply with quote
This is a great concept. Thank you for posting. I will have to look in to doing this. I have a lot of books collecting dust in the garage. The only annoying thing would be to have to run to the post office every time someone wanted my books.
michelec
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2007 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
No, you don't have to go to the post office. The paperbackswap site tells you the postage. You just put enough on the package and drop it into any post office box. It's super quick.

It does help to keep extra stamps around but I stock up just for that purpose.

I so believe in this. Someone told me recently she just puts the books in the recycling after reading them. That it's just too much trouble to even donate them. That upset me because I believe in reusing everything until it can't be used anymore.

There is something else about the swap I like. It's a funny kind of connection. You print out the label and there is this name of someone, in another city, who also likes to read and somehow this is a nice feeling. The site also has all sorts of things where you can rate books and write reviews.

Michele

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2007 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
What a GREAT idea! Thanks for sharing! Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:11 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |