Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
OCM users please
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 13, 2007 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry if there is a thread for this. I could not find it.

I have been researching this on a couple of different forums. One person said she needed to do the massage for at least 5 minutes to really start getting out the stuff clogging the pores and then she can feel these hard things rolling out. Is this the experience others have had? I am also interested on having my son and husband try it but know they won't be willing do massage for long. My son is 10 and he will probably let me do it for 1 minuted. Anyone have good results with their kid's skin? Do most of you wash with another cleanser after the oil?

Also what about doing this with the Clarisonic? Anyone try it. I don't want to gunk up the mechanism.
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 13, 2007 9:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Mom - I think it comes down to each persons skin. Both my DH & I use OCM. He has mucher thicker skin, so it seems to take longer to get the appropriate action from the OCM on him, though we found if we steam his face well before hand it shortens the time to get result. I would think on a 10 yr old it probably wouldn't take as long as it would DH.

I don't use a cleanser afterward as I don't feel a need to, my face feels clean afterward.

As far as the Clarisonic I can't comment as I have never used one, sorry.

mommydearest wrote:
Sorry if there is a thread for this. I could not find it.

I have been researching this on a couple of different forums. One person said she needed to do the massage for at least 5 minutes to really start getting out the stuff clogging the pores and then she can feel these hard things rolling out. Is this the experience others have had? I am also interested on having my son and husband try it but know they won't be willing do massage for long. My son is 10 and he will probably let me do it for 1 minuted. Anyone have good results with their kid's skin? Do most of you wash with another cleanser after the oil?

Also what about doing this with the Clarisonic? Anyone try it. I don't want to gunk up the mechanism.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 13, 2007 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Candy -

Thanks for your response. I think if I could get my DH to steam first it would be great for him. Maybe once a week for a deep clean. We could make it a family ritual, lol. I have been doing it a few nights a week and my skin does always feel amazingly smooth. I think I am going to do it more. I just have all these wonderful expensive cleansers and I hate to waste them. But this oil thing is pretty amazing. Is the goal to keep rubbing until you feel those little grainy things come out? At least in the beginning? Does 5 minutes of massage sound like a lot or not very much to you? My son let me do it for close to 2 minutes tonight. Not sure how long I will be able to keep it up but I will try for some consecutive evenings. He has a bunch of overnight parties to go to and I have no idea what to give him for that. I am thinking of some all in one pad or something.
Kyrya
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 13, 2007 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
I've only been doing OCM for a couple of weeks but I've found it takes at least 5 to 10 minutes of massage to get them out, I guess everyone's skin is different. Good Luck Smile
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 13, 2007 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
Kyrya wrote:
I've only been doing OCM for a couple of weeks but I've found it takes at least 5 to 10 minutes of massage to get them out, I guess everyone's skin is different. Good Luck Smile

ok thanks - so the goal is to keep at it each time until you feel those?
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 13, 2007 11:01 pm      Reply with quote
I remember someone saying that you can... I think Mary uses oil with her sonic toothbrush or something.
Kyrya
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 13, 2007 11:19 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah I just keep massaging until I start to feel the little grainy things under my fingertips.
Schnee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2007 1:25 am      Reply with quote
I usually massage a few minutes, take a break and just let the oil sit on the skin (to dissolve dirt), massage a bit again and wash off. Most of the time I use a commercial cleansing oil that washes off easily, so I have no need to use a second cleanser. I love Babor, but I think the important thing is to stay away from mineral oil based oils.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2007 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
What are mineral oil based oils?
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2007 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
I have been doing OCM for close to 2 years now.

When I'm being good ... I massage for about 3 minutes ... and feel stuff coming out. Very Happy When I'm not so good ... I don't massage that long. Shock

When I first started doing OCM, I massaged longer ... because there was more stuff to get out. Smile Now, however, I don't have all the clogged pores ... so it doesn't take as long to work the "new" plugs out. Smile [At least that's my explanation ... Embarassed ]

Steaming definitely helps ... and feels good too. I try to steam at least once a week ... Smile

I never got a Clarsonic ... but I do have a battery operated toothbrush that I use for those "hard to reach" areas [beside my nose ... etc] and while I haven't used it lately, it really did help and it felt good too! [Mmmmmmmmm ... maybe I'll get it out this evening! Smile ]
I never use another cleanser after doing OCM ... my face is always wonderfully clean afterwards. Very Happy

I've never even tried to get my husband to do OCM. Laughing I can't imagine him even trying ... and kudos to all of you whose husbands are willing to do it! Laughing Mine is just too "old school" ... Laughing

My son might be willing ... but he's 30 ... and doesn't live here any more ... Laughing

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2007 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
haha I tried to get my husband to do OCM last night and he wouldn't, I guess he's old school too! Laughing
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 15, 2007 11:29 am      Reply with quote
I got two huge cysts the last time I did it. I have used the same mixture before and was fine and skin looked great. I had only been using it a few times a week though and then I decided to increase. Do you think this is purging or just that I had too much oil left on skin and it clogged? One is so painful I think I have to take an aspirin - or I could see my Derm and she will just inject it I guess. Never had that done but they do somemthing for these. I am concerned now because I have been doing it on my husband and son and don't want them to get this. Is this common?
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 15, 2007 11:33 am      Reply with quote
Do you have to use a specific oil to get the plugs out? I'm currently using GOW's cleansing oil and don't feel any plugs, but I haven't been massaging for more than 1 minute. I just wasn't sure if you have to have a specific oil to get them out (i.e. castor). Thanks!
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 15, 2007 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
NOW I actually am not so sure the cysts were due to the oil. I just did a good cleaning again and noticed how unoily my skin really is after this. I think I will however increase the castor oil now that weather is getting warmer. What is the best way to get this all off? Use a cleanser after? Even with the hot compresses I can't get it all off. Just have the problem with the Castor oil though. Also, should we boil or disinfect the washcloth or muslin every time? I know when I do Castor Oil liver packs they say toxins get pulled out so thought same might happen with this.

I do have to say my skin in never smoother and softer from a very deep deep level than after I do a OCM. Thinking of doing my entire body! Oh, I think the method of massaging and letting it sit for a few minutes and massage again helps get more grainy things out.
Kyrya
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 15, 2007 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, I'll try letting it sit on the skin for a while when I do OCM tonight Smile
skim
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 15, 2007 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
I like OCM but no matter how much I massage, I never get the plugs. Sometimes the flaky dead skin comes off though.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 16, 2007 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
Ok so last night I steamed then let the oil sit on my skin before massaging for 10 minutes, I think it worked better because lots more plugs came out, yay! Smile
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 16, 2007 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
Kyrya wrote:
Ok so last night I steamed then let the oil sit on my skin before massaging for 10 minutes, I think it worked better because lots more plugs came out, yay! Smile

I think the steaming makes a big difference. I am going to try this weekend! With intense sunscreen season coming up I just really want to find a way to clean the gunk out. I know we need to protect from the sun but it always clogs.
Kyrya
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
What sunscreen do you use? I use ASAP which claims to have a 'non-pore clogging formula' but I still feel like it clogs my pores Sad
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
Okay...reallllllllllyyyyy stupid question: How do I know what oils to mix together for mah face?

I'm combo, oily in t-zone but can dry out in my cheeks. I've been doing the balm cleansing thing (BB's orange cleanser in the AM and Organic Pharmacy Carrot Butter cleanser in the PM) but once they run out, I'm contemplating trying OCM...(though how could I give up my beloved orange cleanser?!?!). I've been resistant because it seems like it would be messy compared to a balm but I wanna clear out those darn pores!

But I don't know where to start. I'm DIY deficient. I've been reading lots of OCM threads and my head is spinning...macedamia, olive, jojoba, and castor, oh my!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
Silly Paris!

You have been here forever! I thought you'd be an OCM pro by now. Very Happy

For you: Just start off like we all have: 1/1 using Castor Oil and EVOO.

It is best to use cold pressed oils, but if you are just starting you can pick up castor oil at Walmart in the Pharmacy section and if you don't have EVOO, then regular olive oil will do.

Just mix equal parts and start rubbing like with the Orange cleanser. Go about 5-7 monutes and you should start feel the little grains. At first I didn't really feel anything, but the second time WOW!

After a time or two you will notice if the amount of castor is too much for you (your face will get dry). Adjust until you find a comfort level for you. For me: 1 part CO 2 parts EVOO is the magic mixture.

Once I found out how much Castor Oil worked for me I started changing the Moisturizing oils a bit. I like 1 CO, 1 EVOO, 1 Grapeseed oil.

I think Cold pressed oils deliver a faster and better experience with OCM than the others, but they both worked for me.

I love it and have been doing it for about a year or more now. It has really helped my skin.

There is SO much about OCM here, but the basics are all the same. 1/1 Castor oil to Olive Oil.

Castor Oil is the cleansing oil (and key to OCM) and once you figure out what your skin can take you can adjust using other oils to mix with it.

The best part is you can adjust it to your own skin and results.

I have recently added a microfiber cloth when removing OCM and have to say...COOL! It can be a little messy, but I used to use the orange cleanser in the morning and OCM at night. I didn't care for the Orange Cleanser much as I never got anything out of my pores (it DID smell great). I just bought a JI micro cloth and I have been using that in the morning (no soap) and OCM in the evenings. Just a tweek in my routine.

Hope that helps!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2007 12:04 am      Reply with quote
I was just thinking of the microfiber cloth. Not for myself but for my son. I have started doing it on him a few times a week and it feels like stuff is working it's way out over time and the cloth might help it along. The time before last on him I had him steam first and I had so much roll off. He felt it too and was amazed. I was wondering today though, when I was doing on myself, if what I can be feeling isn't dead skin balling up. There is no doubt the surface texture is beautiful afterwards and I do feel like I have been exfoliated/hydrated and softened all at once. That alone might help create an environment for the clogged pores to release their contents. Wondering if anyone else has thought it was skin rolling off?
deanne123
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2007 3:16 am      Reply with quote
WOW! Your findings sound more like an Epidermix (?) story rather than an OCM one, but results are results, eh?

No, I never had that happen to me (wish it would though Very Happy ). I think a micro fiber cloth is a great addition no matter what, but I just started using mine so a review is a little premature on my part. I do like what I see so far!

There are many on here who have reviewed Micro Fiber cloths (which is why when I saw one I picked it up). Maybe those threads can help you out. I can't see how it would be a bad purchase either way...though it might be lost on a 10 yr old. Very Happy

For me...I've only had small grainy feeling plugs come out. When I first started I could actually see many of them..ick factor was high!

Now I can't really see them, but I can feel them. They remind me of sand. When they come out it is strangely addictive. As long as I feel stuff coming out I'll keep rubbing. I now know I'm not going to break out and I've done OCM for up to 30 minutes before.

If does work on the rest of the body, but very time intensive...plus DH got tired of rubbing my back within a week. Pooh!

I'm glad to see it is working on your son, but no I have never had skin roll off before. Was he burned recently? COme to think of it, I think I had some come off after a bad burn, but other than that I'm stumped! Sorry

I can't really field this one....Ladies, anyone have this happen to them?

5% products discount

Sun May 27, 2007 6:06 am      Reply with quote
skim wrote:
I like OCM but no matter how much I massage, I never get the plugs. Sometimes the flaky dead skin comes off though.

I've been experimenting with OCM for over a month and I have yet to get any plugs out. I've tried various combinations of Castor oil, EVOO, jojoba, and macadamia nut (and a drop of tea tree oil) and massage timing without the pore cleansing payoff.

(Years ago, when the Biore pore strips came out I tried them and they didn't work for me either. They did take off the skin on my nose- ouch.)

Are Skim and I the only ones with this OCM experience?
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2007 11:00 am      Reply with quote
No he did not have a burn recently - he has never had a burn. We are very careful about that and he is a bit on the pale side except the summer when he goes to day camp. But I did steam first and I did not use much oil. Like when I do on my face it is an oil slick. I used less on him so there was more friction maybe. Not sure. Still, it was grainy things. If it were dead skin you would not think it would feel grainy. I think they were from the pores and it was because we steamed. (need to do that again because have not had those results since). But he may not have that result again. I think this method works for the harder dryer clogged pores. I had some of those but most of mine are softer sebum stuff and they might need BHA to get out and if they did come out with OCM not sure they would feel grainy. It is satisfying and addictive to feel these things come out. I can massage for 20 minutes watching TV trying to work some out. Even a few would satisfy me!!! I do love the texture chance I see from this though so it is worth it for that. My skin is looking clearer and cleaner too. So even though I am not feeling the grains like I did in the beginning, I think it is still going good things. Might be that some pores need a more gradual method to clear them out.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:53 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |