Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Vitamin C serum Q related to relax-a-line thread
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
indianT
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:51 am      Reply with quote
From the recent Relax-A-Line thread, there is the mention of how oily the C serum was. Now are the other serums also have the oilness after using the serum. I have oily skin and I want to try the Skinceutical or Viver serum and don't want any oil feel.
Last week i noticed i had a very fine line on my forehead and tody there were two Shock , so should i add anything else with the serum for my late 20's regimen.

am thinking of calling to ask samples of
serums, b5 gel, phyto+,....
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Indian T, I use vit c and although it feels oily on hands and when you put it on,it sinks into skin quickly and I do not find it oily once absorbed. Smile
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
Same here. The C+ is l-ascorbic acid in a butylene glycol base so it is oil-free. Glycol bases increase penetration of l-ascorbic acid into the skin. It feels slippery but I like that cuz it means a little goes a long way. I have found that it disappears once I put it on and I don't have any residue leftover. That said, there are other C's out there that are in water-bases that might feel less slippery. The problem with water-based C's is that the stability of the C can be affected pretty fast once you start opening and closing the bottle and the l-ascorbic acid is exposed to air.
CharlieBaby
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
I use SkinCeuticals vit C 20 Serum. I don't find it oily per say. I had oily skin, I do find that this serum has helped tremendously. I would now call my skin more normal - combo. I don't think that it would cause any more oiliness on your face unless you used something like the C+E, which might be a little rich for your skin.

C.B.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:53 am      Reply with quote
I agree with charlie, skinC vit C serums are not oily except for the C+E, which is only very slightly oily. I haven't tried the cellularskin under make up, but I belive loopy puts it on with a trowel* and if it hasn't slid off her face then it sould be ok Razz

*that's a joke btw!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:10 am      Reply with quote
ok that helps I have read good reviews on skinceuticals C serum and also the viver vitamin C serum and also the cellex -C.
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:12 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
I agree with charlie, skinC vit C serums are not oily except for the C+E, which is only very slightly oily. I haven't tried the cellularskin under make up, but I belive loopy puts it on with a trowel* and if it hasn't slid off her face then it sould be ok Razz

*that's a joke btw!

I have erased you from the list of people I like Sad
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:38 am      Reply with quote
Shock Shock Shock
Crying or Very sad
Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
So guapagirl and loopylori....important question: Which one of you is Pats and which one of you is Edwina? You are sooo funny!

I have to say again though that I do not find the C+ Firming Serum oily at all. I'm an oily t-zoner here but haven't noticed any residue or anything like that. I do think it has a nice slip to it for applying all over your face though. So then I don't have to use so much.
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
I think I am a combo of both of them. I'm not quite as neurotic as Eddie and I have no where near the bone structure of Patsy. Laughing
Guapagirl will have to answer for herself. Rolling Eyes
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:50 am      Reply with quote
I'm more like Bubble actually Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:34 am      Reply with quote
Why does that not suprise me Exclamation Laughing
Mabsy

Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:51 am      Reply with quote
IndianT,

If you have oily skin then I would recommend the Skinceuticals one or a Cellex-C one.

Both the Vivier and the CellularSkinRX one have a more oily feel, with the CellularSkinRx one feeling oilier of the two. The Skinceuticals C+E naturally feels a bit more substantial as well because of the vitamin E in it.

However, both the Cellex-C and the Skinceuticals plain vit C serums feel like water going on. I actually prefer the Vivier serums myself (a nice middle ground between Skinceuticals and CellularSkinRx) but I don't have oily skin.

HTH
Mabsy
Rose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:50 am      Reply with quote
Hello All,

Just saw a good review on SkinMedica's vitamin C. Some one thinks that SkinMedica's C serum is the best. Have any of you used SkinMedica's C serum. I have been using Sinceutical's (SC) C+E for 4 months. I do like it. My complexion is clear, but what I am really trying to get rid of is the hyperpigmentation on both sides of my cheek. It is taking forever. I have been using SkinMedica's TNS complex, SC's C+E and Phyto +, Lancome's Anti-aging cream, and Prescriptives's corrective serum. The progress is so slow. If SkinMedica C's delivery system is better, I am willing to give it a try.

Thank you all,

Rose
indianT
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for the heads up on the serums.
I think I will try skinceuticals, wondering if i should use it in conjuction with the B5 gel. I have oily skin but thanks to decleor it's been normal lately but still sensitive.
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
The only thing about SkinMedica's C that I read was that it is encapsulated in silicone. This is good for stability of the l-ascorbic acid but not good if you are breakout prone due to presence of silicone. Also, the l-ascorbic acid is not freely available as it is when suspended in free form(nonencapsulated). C is tricky. You can suspend in water and have it completely freely available for uptake but then you have stability problems due to oxygen presence in water. You can put it in glycol and keep it free and increase penetration and stability but some find glycol too slippery. I have tried the Cellex-C, the skinceuticals, and the Avon Clearly C. All seemed to give fairly good results except the Avon. Now, I use a very small-name brand (but I like it and get excellent results)called C+ Firming serum from cellularskinrx.com. Best for you (if you can afford it to try various brands - maybe through samples -)and then decide what is best for your skin type.
Mabsy

Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:28 am      Reply with quote
Laughing I have used the Avon Clearly C!!! Man that was crap! Not talking
Medusa
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:04 am      Reply with quote
You ladies are convincing me to use vit C Very Happy but I read somewhere (can't recall where Brick wall ) that Vit C first lightens up the skin but after sometime it will make your skin go darker than before Embarassed .
Now I'm confused if this will happen even if you use sunscreen hmm It doesn't make sense anyway because vit C is supposed to protect you from the sun too Think ?

Since I discovered the sunscreen, I never went out without it. I may forget to breath but I shall not forget to put on my sunscreen Cool ... before I suffocate Rolling Eyes .

Medusa
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:14 am      Reply with quote
I think that the C serums darken your skin slightly by staining it. I noticed that when I used to apply by putting in palm of my hand, the serum would stain cracks in the skin. Maybe it's to do with oxidation?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:28 am      Reply with quote
Yes, Mabsy the Avon Clearly C was awful. It's a silicone-like base and really sticky. Yuck!

Now as for hyperpigmentation due to C. This I have never heard of. C is great for getting rid of hyperpigmentation and dark spots. I think you are thinking of hydroquinone, which if you use for awhile and then do not slather on the sunscreeen, can result in something called "rebound Hyperpigmentation" where the pigmentation comes back even darker than it was before. This I HAVE experienced with a 2% Hydroquinone prescription formula.

Also, retinoids and glycolics (AHA's in general) will make you skin more sun-sensitive so it is imperative to use sunscreen if you are using these products to improve your skin. Without the sunscreen, you could burn more easily and then be right back to square one with sun-damaged, blotchy skin.

As always, the holy grail is sunscreen! Smile
jenny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Indian T
You may also want to consider Skinceutical's Intense Line Defense. My own experience is that it definitely makes my frown lines and laugh lines less pronounced. I spot treat but I do know some use a small amount all over.

HTH
Jenny
Mabsy

Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:28 am      Reply with quote
Hmmm, I can't say that my skin has gotten any darker at all after using the vit C Eh?
Rose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Betterat40,

From your postings, I can tell that you know the hyperpigmentation products very well. I will try CellularRx C + Firming serum. Do you have hyperpigmentation problem? What do you recommend for getting rid of hyperpigmentation?

Thank you,

Rose
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
First, I recommend daily sunscreen use to prevent it from happening. If you are on BCP's, there's not much you can do since the hyperpigmentation is caused by hormones. My best luck with hyperpigmentation has been with using Retin-A 0.025% cream every night and C serum every day. Occasionally, I will sub. an AHA cream or glycolic at-home peel for the Retin-A to brighten my skin a bit more. I had a nasty looking "brown beard" for a while that did not respond too much to Retin-A plus Hydroquinone....I stopped the HQ cuz I thought it was making it worse and breaking me out. Eventually, I found the C and was amazed to watch the "beard" fade out in about 6 weeks time to a tolerable color. It's pretty much gone now but I have to be really careful with the sunscreen. I do NOT want it to come back. They have many new products though that are supposed to help so much with hyperpigmentation now that I have not tried. For example, Tri-Luma and Lustra. It's possible that you could get samples from your derm and test to see how they work for you.

I hope the C works well for you. If you are not using a retinol at night, or an AHA, I would recommend using it night and day to help with collagen synthesis and cell turnover. That may help speed things up a bit.

Good luck, Rose!
Rose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
Betterat40,

Thank you very much for your information. What sun screen do you use? I have been using Skinceuticals (SC) Sunblock with SPF30. Is it good enough? Are there better sunscreens than that. I found that if I am out in the sun with SC, but without my wide-brim hat, my melasm was darker at the end of the day. It makes me think that the sunblock I am using may not be efficient enough. I have been using SC's vitamin C serum for a few months and I will try CelluarSkinRx's vitamin C some time soon.

I would like to try retin A too, but don't know what retin A product is milder. What kind of retin A do you use? Where did you buy it? Fifteen years ago when I was in my late 20's, I used Retin-A on my crow feet area only when it just came out on the market. After I used it for two weeks, I developed terrible reaction. My whole face was swollen and I looked like a tiger. I had to apply hydrocortisone for weeks to calm down my face. It was a nightmare. I suspect that my melasm started from the retin-A use 15 years ago. I saw that you have good result with retin-A and am tempting to use it again, but I don't know if it will give me bad reaction this time. Could you give me some suggestions?

Thank you,

Rose
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:53 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |