Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
help with a shampoo + conditioner
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
alimwj
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2007 6:30 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

can anyone recommend me a good shampoo for sensitive scalp? My scalp gets itchy and i can sometimes feel bumps on my scalp, and some dandruff as well.. not sure if it's because of the shampoo or what.. but i'm assuming it's because i've got sensitive scalp.. i've oily scalp and dry ends. any recommendations? Thanks^^
jagged
5% products discount

Sat May 19, 2007 10:31 am      Reply with quote
I have an extremely sensitive scalp and the majority of hair products I have tried cause itching, lumps, bumps, and sores. I have tried salon brands, specialty brands, and drugstore brands and have usually had negative scalp reactions to them.

I have, however, found what is almost a miracle for me. Perhaps it would help you as well. You might want to research F.A.S.T. shampoo and conditioner. I read about it online and was intrigued. This shampoo and conditioner supposedly helps your hair to grow faster. For a lark I decided to order it online, which considering the number of hair products I have adverse reactions to was rather foolish!

Well … let me tell you how shocked and thrilled I was when this shampoo and conditioner didn’t cause any problems! They have a mild, fresh scent and do the job of cleansing and conditioning well. But more importantly, neither has caused a single itch, bump, or sore! Has my hair grown appreciably faster? Perhaps a little faster, but that is of little consequence considering the lack of adverse reactions.

Good luck, I sympathize with your problem.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2007 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Alimwj,
That F.A.S.T. shamp+cond sounds promising. I have so maaaany shamp and cond that I can't possibly buy another so I use Bumble's Tonic Lotion on my scalp after shamp and cond with whatever and notice my scalp stays clean and fresh longer. It contains Tea Tree Oil but the medicinal smell fades after drying. No more "dirty hair" smell Sad *ugh* halfway thru the day, even in the humid summertime. It's $14 for 8 oz spray bottle and conditions the ends well enough or I sometimes add Thickening Spray to the ends or a Smoothing Creme. HTH. Fawnie

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2007 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah.. Thanks.. the F.A.S.T sounds good.. I'll check them out.. ^^
babybelle
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2007 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
I also have a sensitive scalp and find that ingredients such as Aloe Vera help to calm it down.

I use Aveda Shampure. It doesn't irritate my scalp, and the scent is heavenly!
alimwj
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2007 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I've looked at the ingredients of the F.A.S.T shampoo and conditioner.. but it seems that it's made up of chemical products.. I'm not sure about trying that.. You think it'll help?
babybelle
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2007 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
babybelle wrote:
I also have a sensitive scalp and find that ingredients such as Aloe Vera help helps to calm it down.

I use Aveda Shampure. It doesn't irritate my scalp, and the scent is heavenly!
puregdstuf
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2007 10:54 pm      Reply with quote
I've got oily scalp and dry ends which is prone to itchiness. Am currently using giovanni tea tree triple treat which helps significantly in controling the above. Plus the minty feeling after the hair wash is great!
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2007 1:13 am      Reply with quote
I love John Masters and Avalon Organics
cinnamoroll
5% products discount

Sun May 20, 2007 1:30 am      Reply with quote
John Masters ZINC & SAGE SHAMPOO WITH CONDITIONER/evening primrose shampoo for dry hair
and citrus & Neroli Detangler
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2007 2:31 am      Reply with quote
I have a similar problem, but my scalp isn't oily and I don't have dandruff. Whenever I wash my hair with shampoo my scalp gets so itchy (along with my forehead, ears, neck and chest). I am not sure what exactly causes it, but I think it's the SLS in shampoos as I get the same reaction to shower gels (which also have SLS). I've recently started conditioner washing and it's been great on my scalp. No more itchiness (unless I'm being a slack and don't wash off the conditioner well). Very Happy You might wanna look into it. There are some threads on the method here and also on The Long Hair Community. It took some getting used to for me, but now I'm glad I switched. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2007 5:45 am      Reply with quote
yes.. that's what happened.. but not when i'm washing my hair.. it's more like after that.. it'll sometimes get all tichy and the itchiness sort of spread to the ears, face, neck.. condtioning washing.. i read that thread.. but never really tried that.. maybe i should..
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2007 7:28 am      Reply with quote
I also have a problem with SLS, so I switched to Giovanni brand products. The only product I could find locally was the Magnetic line, which I don't recommend...made my hair too hard to manage. BUT, the absence of SLS made my scalp very happy! I've heard good things about their Tea Tree line, but have not tried it myself.

I've recently switched to Pureology, which I find soothing to my scalp. I really like the Hydrate line, especially the minty conditioner. It's refreshing, but not irritating or drying. It's expensive, but worth it to me! I'm currently trying Nanoworks, but so far I think it's overpriced.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2007 7:56 am      Reply with quote
I've recently (say the last month or two) begun using Dr. Hauschka shampoo and conditioner, and they've been superb on my sensitive scalp.

In the past, I'd had some problems with my scalp becoming very irritated and itchy, particularly in the winter. I'd tried a number of things before I hit upon the system I use now. First, I wash my hair less frequently, say about every third day. I massage my scalp in between washings, which helps distribute the oil and mitigates the need for more frequent washings. Second, I use a very gentle shampoo and conditioner (like the Dr. H line). And, finally, I do an apple cider vinegar rinse about every three weeks or so to prevent oil/product build-up.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2007 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
Shanno, good idea about the apple cider vinegar rinse!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2007 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
apple cider vinegar is really work! i have tried!
alimwj
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2007 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
I've tried apple cider vinegar but doesn't find it helpful.. Thanks for all the opinions..
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2007 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
alimwj wrote:
I've tried apple cider vinegar but doesn't find it helpful.. Thanks for all the opinions..

sorry to hear about that! Sad
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
alimwj wrote:
Hi,

I've looked at the ingredients of the F.A.S.T shampoo and conditioner.. but it seems that it's made up of chemical products.. I'm not sure about trying that.. You think it'll help?

I tried FAST shampoo and conditioner before, not because of my scalp sensitivity, but because I wanted my short hair to grow fast. It didn't seem to help any in that department. It was a few years ago, so I don't remember the details except it didn't seem to help grow my hair out any faster, and it was expensive. Also my hair didn't feel soft after using it. So I concluded there was nothing special about it to make me reorder.
jagged
5% products discount

Mon May 21, 2007 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
It is so interesting that each of us has such different results with products. The FAST shampoo has left my hair very soft and silky. In retrospect, I think it has helped my hair grow a bit faster – I leave the shampoo on my hair for about 4 or 5 minutes whilst in the shower and I more often than not don’t bother with the conditioner. As is written on this forum over and again in one way or another, what works for one will not necessarily work for another.

As an aside, I ordered the shampoo and conditioner package from Zooscape; the price was considerably less.
pele
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
wow, that's the same problem I have and posted about today. I have been using Aveda Shampure shampoo and conditioner, and they are the only thing that does not irritate my scalp. The only thing is, they are very drying to my bleached hair. So today I bought the Aveda Color Conserve shampoo/conditioner and I'm going to try that out for awhile.

I know people are recommending not washing hair every day, but I simply cannot and refuse to do that. The feeling is so gross and I am so miserable when I don't wash my hair, it's not worth it to me. I have hair to the middle of my back and wash it every day. I also do a Rene Furterer hair mask once/twice a week which is AMAZING.

Mon May 21, 2007 10:37 pm      Reply with quote
i have a really sensitive scalp, and very fine hair. i get ezcema so i use a shampoo from the chemist called 'sebotar' its main ingrediant is pine tarsol. it helps with the itching. but quite smelly so you would only use it twice a week if that. the rest of the time i use nioxin which i think is fantastic, smells like peppermint and really does make my hair thicker. its pretty expensive but makes my scalp tingle and feels great. love it

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 11:03 pm      Reply with quote
I've bought some the scalp benefit by AVEDA.. i'll try and see it goes with dealing with my scalp n hair problems.. =)
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2007 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
I've read up on and researched a lot of natural dandruff/scalp issue remedies, but the one I've found to be the most effective is using apple cider vinegar. Wet your hair and scalp, pour it on and massage it in (careful, it stings if it gets in your eyes), and leave it on for as long as you can stand - overnight is great, 10 minutes is better than nothing. Many types of problematic dandruff are actually due to an overgrowth of a certain fungus that's similar to getting a yeast infection of the scalp (I know, ick!) but apple cider vinegar helps kill them and soothe the scalp as well, without being too harsh or drying like many other remedies. Good luck, or feel free to contact me for more remedies, there are others that might work better for you!
Yvetteski
5% products discount

Sun May 27, 2007 5:42 am      Reply with quote
What about a scalp massage with jojoba oil? A friend who has similar scalp issues massages jojoba oil into his scalp at bedtime and shampoos it out in the AM. I'd give that a try as it is inexpensive. (Desert Essence at Trader Joe's is a bargain.) If you were able to tolerate the jojoba oil, I'd add a bit of tea tree oil to the mix. Tea tree is to me what Vicks vaporub was to my grandmother- a possible solution to every ill!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:03 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |