Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

ADVICE FOR DRY SKIN USING MMU
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
dalmom
5% products discount

Thu May 24, 2007 11:48 am      Reply with quote
HELP! I love the mineral make up and have only tried Bare Escentuals. The probelm is my face is getting so dry and flaky! What is going on? I have tried a heavy duty moisturizer under the makeup but my forehead and under eyes remain flaky! Any suggestions? Neutral

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2007 11:53 am      Reply with quote
Have you used MMU before?

I am wondering, because you used a heavy duty moisturizer underneath and BE still dried out your skin.

I have found that I am allergic to bismuth oxide (sp?) which makes my skin dry and therefore, flaky.
Bare Escentuals has bismuth in it.

Everyday Minerals is one MMU that I am aware of that does not have bismuth in it.

HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2007 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
Try spritzing throughout the day with a hydrating mist. I like Caudalie Harvest Grape Water.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2007 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
Could be you are also using too much? Perhaps you also need to exfoliate a bit as well.

Failing that, it could be the bismuth as White Lotus suggested

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2007 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not sure if your skin is actually getting dry and flaky from using BE. My skin used to be very dry and flaky and it's a matter of finding the right MMU for me. I tried a few of them and ended up with a UK-based company called Lily Lolo. I find it to accentuate my flakies the least and isn't as drying as other MMUs. Also, I find applying MMU before moisturizer is fully absorbed works best and a light spritz of water/toner/hydrosol really helps as well.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2007 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that not all MMUs are equal - and it just sounds as if the BE does not agree with your skin.

My dd has dry skin & two brands that she can use without problems are Aromaleigh & GeoGrafx.

I don't have dry skin, but I do have problems with MMUs that have a high % of titanium dioxide. They clog my pores, and cause my skin to get dry & flaky. So I have to avoid Cory and some of the others that are mainly TD.

Another possible culprit could be your brush - or the fact that BE requires so much buffing.

Another solution for you, besides changing brands, might be to change your application method. You could try the technique where you get the MMU on your brush & then spritz the brush before applying to your face. Or you could even try putting a dab of moisturizer in your palm & adding some MMU to that, mixing, and applying as a liquid foundation.

Don't give up! There are so many different MMUs out there - and most companies allow you to buy samples. So it's easy to try several without breaking the bank. LOL!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2007 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
It seems to me that there was one brand that had Vitamin E in it ... but I can't recall the name.

Anyone else recall this one?

I don't know if it wss any better than the others ... because dry skin is not a problem with which I have to contend ... but I recall thinking that having Vitamin E in it might make it more moisturizing.

When I first began using MMU, I thought I was using the right amount ... but I was actually using too much. I had been so used to conventional makeups and powders that I had no idea how little MMU you really need to do the job.

Once I mastered the art of using a really light hand with it ... and layering rather than trying to get full coverage from the get-go ... MMU looked better on me.

I've never used BE ... I had read here of the reactions to bismuth ... and I never wanted to take that chance. I also don't really like that glow that BE is so good at creating. That's a younger woman's look ... not at all suitable for the over 55 set ... or at least not me. Laughing

There are lots of smaller MMU companies whose products are great and they are far less expensive than BE. Most of the smaller companies offer sample sizes at very reasonable cost ... and many will help you figure out what foundation colour you need based upon what you're using now.

Just a few thoughts ...

Mary

5% products discount

Thu May 24, 2007 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you all for such great suggestions! I do think I am using too much make up on my brush. I am going to switch to a smaller brush and use less. If that doesn't work, I am going to switch from BE to another brand without bismuth.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2007 5:33 am      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:
It seems to me that there was one brand that had Vitamin E in it ... but I can't recall the name.

Anyone else recall this one?

I don't know if it wss any better than the others ... because dry skin is not a problem with which I have to contend ... but I recall thinking that having Vitamin E in it might make it more moisturizing.

When I first began using MMU, I thought I was using the right amount ... but I was actually using too much. I had been so used to conventional makeups and powders that I had no idea how little MMU you really need to do the job.

Once I mastered the art of using a really light hand with it ... and layering rather than trying to get full coverage from the get-go ... MMU looked better on me.

I've never used BE ... I had read here of the reactions to bismuth ... and I never wanted to take that chance. I also don't really like that glow that BE is so good at creating. That's a younger woman's look ... not at all suitable for the over 55 set ... or at least not me. Laughing

There are lots of smaller MMU companies whose products are great and they are far less expensive than BE. Most of the smaller companies offer sample sizes at very reasonable cost ... and many will help you figure out what foundation colour you need based upon what you're using now.

Just a few thoughts ...

Mary

Hi Mary -

Yes, there are a few companies that offer MMU with added vitamin E. I can attest to the fact that they are all great companies and the owners are great!

Bare Faced Minerals (you can get foundation with or without Vitamin E)
Mineral Boutique

and my favorite....Lumiere - their new Luminesse formula contains Vitamin E and is my favorite of the three formulations (Veena, Flawless and Luminesse).

Maria Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2007 5:37 am      Reply with quote
I have dry skin and, when I used to wear MMU, I always made sure that my skin was exoliated properly and smooth. It really helps with application.

My favourite exfoliator, and the most effective for me, is Epidermx II. It leaves a lovely, smooth canvas.

Obviously, you must always be sure to keep your skin well moisturised too.
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2007 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
i think the most important thing is to keep your skin in a good state, moisture enough!
it is good to makeup.
gottaHAVEitALL
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:28 am      Reply with quote
dalmom wrote:
HELP! I love the mineral make up and have only tried Bare Escentuals. The probelm is my face is getting so dry and flaky! What is going on? I have tried a heavy duty moisturizer under the makeup but my forehead and under eyes remain flaky! Any suggestions? Neutral

I'm in the same situation. I have dry skin and find that powder MMU cakes in my fine lines or makes me even dryer. I've had to stop using my favourite brand of powder MMU (Pur Minerals).

However, if you want to stick with MMU, liquid MMU would be an option. It offers better hydration, all the while providing the coverage and SPF protection. Lots of companies make a liquid MMU (Jane Iredale, Youngblood, Illuminare). I've only tried the Illuminare in Fantastic Finish (moisturizing) and I love it. In fact, I've just ordered a full size of it. What's fun about Illuminare is that you can order samples before you buy the full size.

http://www.illuminarecosmetics.com/

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:58 am      Reply with quote
I have dry skin as well, and I found that PureLuxe MMU works best for me because you don't have to "buff" it in. All the buffing made the mineral make-up settle into my fine lines and made my skin look drier.

Also if I spritz 2-3 time throughout the day my MMU stays fresh looking and my skin feels less dry.

Hope that helps,

Lori

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
Ha, this kills me, I didn't even know what MMU was until I clicked on this thread. Smile But now I know I'll be careful if I do start using one to exfoliate and moisturize well. Thanks!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:25 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |