Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lightening hyperpigmentation - 6 months on...my experience
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
dips18
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2007 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there everyone.

I have now had quite a few people PM me, about this product in the last month- from this forum and others so I have decided to post this in case anyone else there is contemplating trying Meladerm by Civant Skincare.

So some of you might already know this but last year I got major hyperpigmentation from ipl. I began using the whole civant skincare range in early Dec 06 and heres my results and what I noticed: Please note I was not using any other actives for the the first 6-7 weeks.
After Day one: (used whole range am and pm)
Skin immediately looked less inflamed, irritation calmed down, looking more supple.
Believe it or not but for me my skin looked lighter after one day.
Hyperpigmentation NOT coverable with foundation at this point.

10 days on:
Skin getting a more healthy sheen.
Little cuts in skin from zit popping most completely healed or healing very nicely.
My partner noticed my skin looked lighter

3 weeks on:
Added in emu oil.
Skin feeling so much smoother and definitely on the mend.
Looking lighter and lighter.
Following the regime very religiously.
Emailed Civant and told them about my results - they told me to add a vit c to boost effects. Must be applied 10 minutes after the Melderm complex.

6 weeks on:
Skin is glowing - compliments and comments from everyone. Amazing difference in tone and colour. Several scars and patches now becoming coverable with foundation.
Added in copper peptides.
Its at this point where my skin hit a plateau so I then started doing TCA peels and that kicked the Meladerm back into action.

3 months on:
Think maximum result achieved from Meladerm. Doing regular TCA peels so skin is always improving but now many other actives in play so not sure how much can be attributed to Meladerm. A

May 2007 - 6 and a half months on:
Using last of Meladerm - not sure if I will buy more - ready to try something else.

Hope that helps some of you.
Aries, Jill and Lara - if you girls don't mind please keep me / us posted on your results. Would love to hear how your all getting on.

Dips

**edited by moderator as requested to post author: Please read the entire thread for updates that supersede this review.**
lotus003
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2007 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
Great review Idea Thanks for sharing Very Happy
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2007 11:23 pm      Reply with quote
How did you manage to get hyperpigmentation from IPL? My daughter has IPL to get rid of her hyperpigmentation and it works very well.

Anyway, this product sounds very interesting - does it get rid of age spots? Do you think I could use this along with Retin-A 0.1%?
dips18
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2007 4:32 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
How did you manage to get hyperpigmentation from IPL?

Hi Keliu,
The therapist that did the ipl on me told me I would need to wear sunscreen. I told her that I walked to and from work and she said that was fine as long as I wore sunscreen? Yes not a good picture so here I was two weeks out from ipl walking to and from work in the morning sun, 35mins each way, every day 5 days a week. I had no idea what I was doing - very clueless at the time and just not told the importance of staying out of the sun for several weeks after an ipl session. BTW I must add I am light to medium skinned which makes me a lot more prone to hyperpigmentation from ipl. I know others with fair skin have had no problems.
Not sure how Meladerm would work on age spots -as my purpose was mainly to get rid of the hyperpigmentation and acne scars.

Keliu wrote:
Do you think I could use this along with Retin-A 0.1%?

I am currently using Meladerm with retin-a 0.025% and it works great!
HTH Dips
msaries1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2007 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
After PM-ing Dips last week and reading her response. I decided to purchase the Meladerm and give it a try. It is en route to my house! My only concern is (after reading this post) is that my skin just does not like the vitamin c. I purchased a Vivant spintrap sample to try, and my skin just got really congested. I will post my results from the Meladerm once I start using it. I am really hoping to see some results quickly....I'm so frustrated with the hyperpigmentation, and with more sun as summer approaches, it just seems to get worse.... Crying or Very sad
Ch79
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2007 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
Sounds like excellent results, dips18!

Two questions:

I assume you had the 3.4 oz Cream, as opposed to the 1.7 oz., right? I just want to get an estimate of how long this product lasts. Because the price seems very reasonable given that the product lasts 6 months.

Did you try the eye complex? And, if so, did it have any effect on your undereye circles. While their site says the complex works on undereye circles, they mainly seem to stress its benefits for puffy eyes (which isn't something I need right now). It would be nice to hear their eye complex has the same lightening effects as their products for the face.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 12:38 am      Reply with quote
Hi Ch79
Yes I did order the 3.4oz (although it came as two packs of the 1.7) After I saw the result from the first bottle I ordered another 1.7oz of the complex. And I have to say it does not last that long - I have extended the use by appling a real thin layer. Also because I do TCA peels, I stop actives one week prior to the peel and then another 7-10 days while I'm peeling so it has lasted a lot longer than if I had used it not stop. It is pricey and one bottle WILL NOT last 6 months - I am on my third but for me it was a small price to pay.
I have got the eye complex and used it here and there - it does help and make a difference but one of the ingredients is on my no no list so I don't use it that much. It did have a slight lightening effect. HTH Dips
Thanks for sharing Msaries! Seriously, look up Heliocare.
Dips
msaries

Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I have been using Meladerm for about a month and a half now. It was about two weeks ago that I finally started to notice a difference. To kick it up a notch, I added Tri-Luma (the tube showed that it expired two months ago, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway). I had tried the Tri-Luma a couple of years ago, but leaving it on overnight really irritated my skin.

As a result of reading a lot of short-term contact success stories on the forum, I thought I'd try it also. I worked my way up from five minutes to about fifteen minutes before going to bed; I just rinse with water.

I'm continuing with the Meladerm in the morning also. I have seen a HUGE difference in my skintone finally evening out, especially in the past two weeks. At the beginning of the summer, I thought I'd need to start on Obagi or IPL treatments because the hyperpigmentation was getting so dark. I will probably continue onthe Tri-Luma for another two months or so, and then quit for a while because of the hydroquinone. For maintenance I'll continue with the Meladerm and post my future results.

Thanks for answering all of my questions, Dips! One of these days hopefully I'll get brave enough to try the TCA peels you mentioned...can you walk me through those, too? Smile
dips18
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
msaries wrote:
Thanks for answering all of my questions, Dips! One of these days hopefully I'll get brave enough to try the TCA peels you mentioned...can you walk me through those, too? Smile

Hey Msaries - new login?
No prob - happy to help and yes ABSOLUTELY will talk you through TCA. I just finished my 7th peel - it is evening out the skintone beautifully - it really is one of my HG and once you do one peel...there's no going back so keep me posted when you're ready! So glad your hyperpigmentation is more under control - nice one!
Mine has faded so much in the last couple of months - a lot due to the weather so I am going to be prepared this summer with lots of sunsceen etc. Def going to try Pete Thomas Roth sunscreen or colorescience.
As for Meladerm - I am seriously thinking of buying another tube. I have been using a few products here and there and nothing has really come out trumps - just started a new product this week which is looking hopeful so will decide soon and post if it works. Take care Dips
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
I'm very excited about this product, and plan to purchase some as soon as I can determine best price from a reputable etailer. Any suggestions?

Also, question for dips: what strength TCA did you start with?

Thanks!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:
I'm very excited about this product, and plan to purchase some as soon as I can determine best price from a reputable etailer. Any suggestions?

Also, question for dips: what strength TCA did you start with?

Thanks!

Hi Nadjazz,
I bought my Meladerm from civantskincare.com. Haven't seen it anywhere else so if you find a cheaper site - please post. Also re TCA. I started with 12.5% and progressed to 15% - 18%. I'm experimenting a few things at the moment so I am using the 12.5% at times. HTH Dips
msaries1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Dips! No, not a new log-in, but when I first came to the forum I had MsAries, forgot my password then made a new name. Guess I had the same password for the first as the second, 'cause I accidentally logged in with it a few times! Not too bright, I know.

My hyperpigmentation is more under control, and faded some, but it doesn't like my results are as good as yours! I just purchased another bottle of the Meladerm, and am going to try and refill my TriLuma prescription. I really think the short-term contact with the prescription has made such a big difference.

Now, first of all, where do you purchase your TCA? What is the brand and strength? When you do your peels do you have any downtime? Are you red and peely? Are the TCAs a big reason for the skintone evening out?
msaries1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
nadjazz, sorry...I meant to address your question also. I have purchased one tube/bottle from Civant Skincare. I also just purchased a bottle from Ebay...it was just slightly cheaper w/slightly cheaper shipping, but it all adds up! Smile They must have just recently started carrying it, because I checked a couple of months ago before ordering my first bottle, and it wasn't on Ebay. As I mentioned with Dips, I strongly recommend the short-term contact w/TriLuma also, if possible. HTH!!
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
dips, msaries - thanks for your responses! I have not found a better source than what you have posted. The eBay savings is so miniscule, that it seems safer for a first-time user to buy directly from Civant, since they have the money-back guarantee. Not that I'll need to return it, of course.... Wink

Thanks for the reminder on the Triluma, I will go in for a prescription on that.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
msaries1 wrote:
Now, first of all, where do you purchase your TCA? What is the brand and strength? When you do your peels do you have any downtime? Are you red and peely? Are the TCAs a big reason for the skintone evening out?

I buy my TCA from platinumskincare.com. I intially bought the 12.5% but once I saw how weak and light it was on me I went and ordered the 30% which I dilute to around 15% - 18%.
My results sound good because my hyperpigmentation was soooooooooo bad before so I could have only improved Smile . I get shivers Anxious everytime I think of what my skin was like then.
Anyway so yes the TCA peels are a big reason at the moment for the skintone evening out. There is a bit of downtime involved when you go to the higher strengths. I do mine either on a wednesday or thursday night (lately on a thursday) and that way most of the peeling falls in the weekend so those days I generally don't organise going out. With higher percentages the skin does go a little darker before it starts to peel. Although that looks scary at the time it is a good sign for me that the peel has gone deep - which is what I want at the moment. Sunscreen is of the most importance generally but especially so during this time.
If I do 12.5% then there really is no downtime at all for me anymore as my skin is accustomed to the TCA so it reacts differently (meaning I get light little flakes not sheets) than someone doing a peel for the first time - hence a patch test is the best. It really is like a balancing act but once you get the hang of it - skin glowing city!!. Smile When you're ready I can post you a step by step if you like? The TCA will come with instructions anyway but happy to post my steps. Dips
msaries1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
Alright, Dips, this weekend I am ordering the peel - 12.5% to start. I'll letcha know as soon as I get it. I can't wait!! Smile

Nadjazz, let us know if you have any questions, and PLEASE post your results. I'm curious to know how it will work out for you. And congrats again on winning this week's drawing!
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, msaries! My CC needs to recover from recent purchases from EDS and NCN, plus I need to make an appt with derm for Triluma, so it may be a while before I can start this regimen.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:10 am      Reply with quote
Hi!
I've just caved and ordered a bottle of this to try (although I don't think my celtic freckles will fade much more as I've had them since I was a child and although I have a lot less now and wear Avene SPF 50!!!)but Hey it's worth a shot!

How do I fit in Vit C serum with this (as it seems ideally both shoudl be applied to clean skin?

Thanks!
Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:49 am      Reply with quote
Sorry Lucia, I cannot address the question regarding the Vitamin C....unfortunately I had to stop using it quite a while ago because it made my skin more congested and prone to break-outs.
maximus

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
I was browsing and found this forum about Meladerm and melasma. I just ordered it from Civant and and waiting impatiently for it to arrive. About 3-4 years ago or I started developing dark patches on my face. First on my forehead, then cheeks nose, upper lip and so on. Both my sisters and mom have it also, but not as intense as I do. I've never been pregnant, which causes it from what I hear. Yes, I used to sun, just like everyone else when I was younger, so that is probably the biggest cause. I can't tell you how depressing it was and still is!! Well, I guess some of you already know this! I have tried Obagi, laser treatments, triluma and various other over-the-counter and prescription creams. So, I'm hoping that Meladerm will help. I use Bare Minerals for cover-up, which does a great job, but I will have to re-apply mid-day to keep the darkness from popping through. I noticed several posts regarding TCA peels. What is this? I also want to know if I should get off my birth control pill. I know that it makes it worse! There was a post on another forum that suggested changing to NOR-QD, which is the lowest form of progestin and no estrogen. Any one have any advice??
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
Lucia wrote:
Hi!
I've just caved and ordered a bottle of this to try (although I don't think my celtic freckles will fade much more as I've had them since I was a child and although I have a lot less now and wear Avene SPF 50!!!)but Hey it's worth a shot!

How do I fit in Vit C serum with this (as it seems ideally both shoudl be applied to clean skin?

Thanks!
Very Happy

Lucia, here's what dips said about vit c in her first post above:
Quote:
Emailed Civant and told them about my results - they told me to add a vit c to boost effects. Must be applied 10 minutes after the Melderm complex.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Nadine - missed that! Rolling Eyes Serves me right for browsing EDS when I should have been working!! Laughing (was reading and writing -hence the spelling! - at warp speed in case the Boss spotted me!LOL!). Bad Grin

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
maximus wrote:
I noticed several posts regarding TCA peels. What is this? I also want to know if I should get off my birth control pill. I know that it makes it worse! There was a post on another forum that suggested changing to NOR-QD, which is the lowest form of progestin and no estrogen. Any one have any advice??

Hi Maximus, TCA is a chemical that helps remove the upper layers of your skin - basically makes your skin peel so that the new skin below is revealed. If you do a search you will get a ton of info to read that will help. As for birth control - I'm not an expert but my first thought would be to go off it - I'm no longer on it after trying several brands but I didn't stop taking it just for my skin - it was playing havoc on me - moods, weight gain, bloating, bad skin, etc. Definitely a personal decision. HTH Dips
Clancybug

Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
Sad Hello all. I am new to this forum and hav been reading your posts with appreciation. I have melasma and sunspots and even a few dark spots from pimples. I have been doing my own chemical peels here and there (Glycolic, salicylic, TCA 12.5%). I have only been doing spot peels and the spot lightens up a bit but then a lighter brown "shadow" area is left behind. I am wondering if it is because I only do the spot peeling?? Any suggestions? Thanks so much!
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Clancybug and welcome to EDS!! Very Happy
I have no experience of peels so can't help but I'm sure some of the other ladies will be able to answer you question.

Smile

Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:25 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |