Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Please Help with Eczema!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2007 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
My bf has really really bad eczema and he's had it for many years now. He says it's like severely dry skin, although I know it's not just dry skin. He flakes like crazy from the face, neck, scalp, everywhere...(sorry if this sounds gross)

So after reading some posts, I bought him a few things:
Baby Bee's Diaper Ointment
Apple Cider Vinegar added to water at 1:1
Aubrey Organic's Primrose and Lavender Shampoo
Jason Natural's Tea Tree Body Wash
Alba Kukui Oil

He thinks Baby Bee's isn't moisturizing enough and is making those really bad patches worse. Perhaps it's the zinc oxide? I read good reviews about it so I was hoping it would work.

Is there anything in this list that I missed? Something that can help with eczema and is extremely moisturizing?
LilLoco
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2007 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
I have occasional bouts with mild eczema, so I'll tell you what has worked for me. Once the eczema erupts, no moisturizer ever fixed it for me. The only thing that got rid of it was hydrocortizone ointment. I use it very sparingly once or twice a day on the spot until the eczema is gone, then I use a strong "moisturizer" -- typically A and D ointment -- spot-treating as needed.

But like I said, I only get a few mild spots from time to time. If your boyfriend has it worse, he should probably see a dermatologist for help.
BBD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2007 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
Does he take any essential fatty acids internally? My eczema got much better after I started taking a combination of omega-3 oils (fish oil, flaxseed oil, and evening primrose oil in a capsule).

Also Triceram cream by Osmotics is great. The Triceram really helped me when I had a bad episode. And Atopalm MLE is good.

Another good idea would be a shower filter. It just attaches to the shower head. If you do a search you will find some posts about the best ones. Hope this helps a bit.
Maria1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2007 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
Kareberry,

I don't know if you are from Canada or the U.S. I'm in Canada so I hope this information is helpful to you.

Avene Trixera really helped my son. Another good product is La Roche Posay Lipikar Balm. I was able to get a sample of each at the drug store.

Good luck. I hope you are able to find a product that helps.
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2007 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
Emu oil might be good for treating eczema. Try to do search on "emu oil eczema" in a search engine like Google, and you will find lots of info including before/after pictures.
BBD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 10:48 am      Reply with quote
I left out something important from my post above...Evening Primrose Oil (EPO) is one of the Omega-3 essential fatty acids that has been suggested as being helpful in eczema. The capsules I took (GNC Multi-Oil) contained EPO as well as fish oil, flaxseed, and borage oil.

These oils are good for your brain and your heart as well...So even if they don't help his eczema they are good to be taking.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 10:51 am      Reply with quote
Burts Bees Evening Primrose Overnight Creme.
I give the creme to my friend (she has eczema) and she loved it. Her skin is so smooth and fresh looking now.

http://www.burtsbees.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10751&storeId=10101&productId=10176&langId=-1&categoryId=&showSubCategory=yes

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 11:26 am      Reply with quote
If you are looking for a natural cream try Derma E's Psorzema Cream. It's about $20 for 4oz but it really works. This is the only cream that works for my baby. This is from the web site:
Quote:
This deeply moisturizing crème safely and effectively relieves scaly, flaky and itchy dry skin associated with Psoriasis and Eczema. It absorbs easily and gently calms, soothes and helps heal hot, inflamed skin. This product is made with a safe and effective blend of herbal extracts and skin vitamins such as Neem, Burdock, Bearberry, Vitamins A and E to help soften and soothe dry, irritated, scaling skin. It penetrates deeply to help reduce redness and inflammation and heal the skin. This pleasant moisturizing formula does not contain steroids nor any coal or pine tars.

You can buy it at most health food stores or atwww.dermae.net Most of the stores probably have samples that you can try first.

Another thing to consider is trying to figure out what is causing the eczema. In my baby's case, we had him tested and found out that he has a milk allergy and when I drank milk, trace amounts of milk protein were getting in my breast milk. I stopped drinking milk and his eczema cleared up.
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 28, 2007 11:26 am      Reply with quote
Thank you guys so much!
I'm making a new list right now. The Omega-3/EPO idea is definitely something I didn't pay much attention to before. I thought EPO was something only women took?

A shower filter is SUCH a great idea! Thanks so much, I never thought about it! But now that you mention it, the water in his apartment is extremely drying, it almost has a calcium film on top of the skin after showering. Definitely weird.

As for the external treatment, I think I'm going to start with the most inexpensive thing first, mainly because my bf has had this for many years and doesn't even have one patch of healthy skin so when we find something that does work, it will probably be something we'll have to get over and over again.

To be honest, we didn't take the dermatologist route because when my mother had eczema on her hand, the only thing the doctor did was prescribe hyrdocortisone. In case anyone else has this problem and can search this up later, my mom got better after drinking Noni. It's a very bad tasting fruit that smells like baby barf, but nowadays they put all these fruit juices in the mix to make it taste better so it is no longer as effective. The new things to be taken internally is Mangosteen , but I haven't done any research on it yet, so it's an option, but I'm not recommending it as of yet.
havana8

Tue May 29, 2007 8:59 am      Reply with quote
Kareberry*, I am not a doctor but it sounds as if it could also be psoriasis...

I was recently reading posts from an excema board that went back as far back as 1993 and long-time sufferers of excema were posting and recommending a supplement called Herpanacine by Dr. Wayne Diamond for successfully dealing with excema as well as other skin conditions such as psoriasis, acne, dermal cysts, extremely dry skin, rosacea, herpes virus outbreaks, etc. They say right up front to be patient as it usually takes up to 3 months of daily usage to work although many found significant progress at around the 1 to 1-1/2 month mark with continual improvement each passing month. (As an aside, the supplement can also be given to pets suffering from itchiness, hot spots and other skin problems.) Delivery was quick for me via USPS, around a week, and I am in Canada.

They also offer targeted homeopathic lotions (i.e. for excema, psoriasis, rosacea, herpes etc.) to provide temporary relief in the interim until the supplement kicks it. Surprising to me when it arrived is that they are from a brand I have been interested in for some time, Sympathetical Formulas, which are chemical-free, paraben-free and water-based homeopathic formulations. I find they really do work!

In case you want to check it out, here is their website: www.diamondformulas.com
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2007 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
emu oil may help as well if you aren't veggie. loads of threads and a very one on it in the library! Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2007 7:04 am      Reply with quote
Hi! My baby has serious eczema and we tried everything from naturopathic products to prescription non-systemic steroids. Finally tried a homeopathic cream which works quite well. The brand is called Derma-E and Derma-E makes a lot of stuff. This particular cream is called Psorzema. It comes in a tub and costs about US$20 - $25. I found it at a couple of upscale homeopathic medicinal stores.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2007 7:24 am      Reply with quote
Just another thought, My friend's daughter had very bad eczema and asthema (sp?) and they used traditional chinese medicine and it was very very effective for both conditions but especially the eczema.

Maybe some of the Chinese members here have some info on TCM?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2007 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Personally I'd steer away from using hydrocortisone esp if your BF has this all over his body. Hydrocortisone will thin the skin over time, damage the skin barrier and make it more vulnerable to infection &Y inflammation, sun damage, etc. For occasional use on small areas it no doubt works great but there's also a down-side. I just am getting over a dry/flaky/red/itchy/irritated episode on my chin and the only thing that really helped was when I used neem oil.
For a more holistic approach generally skin problems are related to liver, kidney or stomach meridians.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:45 am      Reply with quote
I would suggest seeing a doctor so he can recommend an oitment for your bf. I had eczema before from swimming and now it is gone. Don't wait too long because it will get worst...

Kareberry* wrote:
My bf has really really bad eczema and he's had it for many years now. He says it's like severely dry skin, although I know it's not just dry skin. He flakes like crazy from the face, neck, scalp, everywhere...(sorry if this sounds gross)

So after reading some posts, I bought him a few things:
Baby Bee's Diaper Ointment
Apple Cider Vinegar added to water at 1:1
Aubrey Organic's Primrose and Lavender Shampoo
Jason Natural's Tea Tree Body Wash
Alba Kukui Oil

He thinks Baby Bee's isn't moisturizing enough and is making those really bad patches worse. Perhaps it's the zinc oxide? I read good reviews about it so I was hoping it would work.

Is there anything in this list that I missed? Something that can help with eczema and is extremely moisturizing?
SnowWhite
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:10 am      Reply with quote
I would also suggest seeing a doctor or dermatologist for a medication. However, for light patches a gel form of baby oil works well too.
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the posts!

Being that I'm from Canada, some of the creams were not so easily accessible. However we did get trial samples for the Avene Trixera and LRP's Lipikar Baume.

My bf seems to like the Lipikar, so we bought the body wash too! After using it a couple times, he really likes it! He doesn't itch much anymore! I never though anything I bought at a drugstore would work for him! I'm also going to go out and buy that showerhead filter for him and omega-3 supplements.

After researching about fish oils though, I'm not too sure which brand to buy since there's so many problems with fish nowadays.

As for the hydrocortisone and derm, I don't think he's going to go because he went before and the only thing they gave him was steroids. To my belief, it does a bad job of supressing the symptoms because once you stop using it, it comes back worse! I suppose it's good for those extra bad patches though, but nothing he can use long term for sure.
BBD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Flaxseed oil is just as good for the skin as fish oil. If you still want to try a fish oil product, Nordic Naturals products are very pure and thoroughly tested. (My daughter takes one of their products for ADD and I researched it thoroughly.)

Since you are in Canada, you might want to check outwww.seabuckthorn.com for information about their seabuckthorn products (soaps, creams, shampoos, etc.) Also very good for the skin.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:51 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |