Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Coach bags not American made... being conned?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2007 4:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi

This is a follow-on from Moonstarrs post about her new Coach handbag. I myself have two Coach bags, the first one I bought, I bought thinking it was an American make and American made, it was only shortly afterwards that I saw the little leather tag inside that I realised it was made in China.

Now I have just looked at the Coach website and I'm really mad!! If you read their spiel in the company profile it tells you all about how they first started in Manhattan in 1941 as a family run workshop, nowhere does it mention that the bags aren't actually made in America anymore. Read their FAQ, still no details, read their history, 'An American story', nope still no mention on there. Then if you move on to the mission statement it says.....

The Coach brand represents a unique synthesis of magic and logic that stands for quality, authenticity, value and a truly aspirational, distinctive American style. Everything we make, advocate or engage in reflects the attributes of the brand.

Our responsibility to our internal and external customers calls for impeccable service to ensure that their needs are always met. By treating customers like guests in our own home, we seek to establish long-term relationships based on trust and satisfaction.

Based on trust??? The bags are made in China! You think you're buying a nice leather bag made in America? Check out the small print on the tag inside. Mine says... 'This is a Coach bag, it was handcrafted in China'....

So people are paying several hundred dollars for a nice looking bag that's made in China when you can get EXACTLY the same, a nice looking leather bag made in China from somewhere like JC Pennys for $40+. If you're buying the bag for the prestige of owning a Coach bag, just remember where its actually come from!

If you're visiting a Coach store, ask the SA where the bags come from. It would be interesting to know what their reply is.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2007 8:25 am      Reply with quote
When I am at home, I need to check out my Coach bags to look at the tags.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2007 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
Mine also says China. Perhaps this is the reason the lining on the inside is falling apart after only 6 months. Mad Luckily mine was a gift but still.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2007 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
I took a look at mine and both of them do not have any wording with 'made in china' I've had one for many years and never fell apart.
shanno
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2007 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
I totally agree--I stopped buying Coach bags a few years ago when I noticed that they were being outsourced.

My classic styles (briefcase, Hamptons line, etc.) were all made in the U.S. However, I have a small satchel that was made in Costa Rica, and I've noticed (but never bought) some of the logo bags that were made in China.
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2007 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing I have a friend who just went to China. She bought a Coach bag there, and it says "made in the USA." She realized after getting home that it's just a really good fake.
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2007 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
Tosca wrote:
Laughing I have a friend who just went to China. She bought a Coach bag there, and it says "made in the USA." She realized after getting home that it's just a really good fake.

Laughing Haha! That's kinda funny ... it's like reverse from what it normally would be.

Anyway, I have a few Coach pieces and so far, have never had anything fall apart. I think they seem to be pretty good quality. I would still definitely buy their bags because I like their design and I do appreciate their quality. Plus, they are alot cheaper than Chanel, so I don't feel as guilty buying them. Smile
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2007 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
I acutally like their bags too. I'd still buy them. I just thought it was really funny that the ones here say made in China, and the ones sold there say made here.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:48 am      Reply with quote
Maybe mine is just a fluke then. The one I had several years ago was of great quality, but it was also solid leather. This one is made of their traditional logo fabric so it's not quite as sturdy just in the materials alone. Perhaps someone in China just missed a thread on the lining. Confused
annie313
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:14 am      Reply with quote
I purchased a Coach bag several years ago and noticed it said made in China. I was so mad I e-maid the Coach company. They sent me an e-mail back saying that they were a global company, and they reach all over the world,blah, blah, blah. I don't think I'll purchase a Coach purse again. The bottom line is make as much money as possible. If you look at the high end purses, most of them are made in China.
Anyone know of purses made in the US?
mishie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Louis Vuitton bags purchased in North America generally are made in the US.
There are a few LV lines that are still made in France and sold in the US.
It seems to me that everything now is Made in China, regardless of who the designer is or what price point it is!
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
mishie wrote:
It seems to me that everything now is Made in China, regardless of who the designer is or what price point it is!

My wallet was made in France, my Cabas Piano was made in the U.S. Both were purchased in the States. I know that some models are made in different countries as well.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
Mine also says China. Perhaps this is the reason the lining on the inside is falling apart after only 6 months. Mad Luckily mine was a gift but still.

Coach will repair any of their products for life...I believe there is something like a $20 charge. They repaired my dog's leather coach lead with it came unstitched.

liz

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
mishie wrote:

My wallet was made in France, my Cabas Piano was made in the U.S. Both were purchased in the States. I know that some models are made in different countries as well.

I think LV is moving away from manufacturing in France. Most of their stuff is now made in the US. Every time I buy bags from there, I check...plus there's a lot of literature on it on the net.
luvyourskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:43 pm      Reply with quote
I think all these designer bags are a "crock"...what on earth makes people a slave to "Branding",I will never understand.
Furthermore, my daughter shops in the Coach stores and one pair of her shoes absolutely STINK. She doesn't notice it, but I sure do, and it has not (the smell) dissipated over time. I have come to the conclusion that they must be using recycled material, because I bought some luggage that had that smell, and when I took it back, the store manager said it is from the recycled materials they are now using.
chorally
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:30 am      Reply with quote
Just so you know, Burberry is switching their production to China too.
I used to watch the tag stating the country of origin before buying an item. Rolling Eyes
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:17 am      Reply with quote
luvyourskin wrote:
I think all these designer bags are a "crock"...what on earth makes people a slave to "Branding",I will never understand.
Furthermore, my daughter shops in the Coach stores and one pair of her shoes absolutely STINK. She doesn't notice it, but I sure do, and it has not (the smell) dissipated over time. I have come to the conclusion that they must be using recycled material, because I bought some luggage that had that smell, and when I took it back, the store manager said it is from the recycled materials they are now using.

Fuuny you should mention the 'stink'. I have a fendi (very fake) that started 'stinking' after a few months. Now I know why.
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
what is really made in US? None!
SnowWhite
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
Many upscale handbag companies outsource their work to many of the same places in China. I have a friend who owns her own boutique and has her designs made in China in the same factory where Kate Spade and Michael Kors bags are made. The higher end lines do use better materials though, and that is why they can charge so much.
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
abejita wrote:

Coach will repair any of their products for life...I believe there is something like a $20 charge. They repaired my dog's leather coach lead with it came unstitched.

liz

What about cleaning? I've noticed my bag is getting a bit grungy...if I take it in will they be able to clean it or is this a simple/safe way to clean it myself?
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
This is what coach says about cleaning...

http://www.coach.com/cservice/FaqTemplate.aspx?faq_id=39

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:54 am      Reply with quote
Mine is made in China As well. Shock
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:56 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |