Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

what do y'all suggest 2 get rid of 5'o clock shadow?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Sweet_Angel
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:13 pm      Reply with quote
Although I remove the "mush" regularly, the shadow remains. Its a perfect dark line on either side (just like a man's) Smile and wont go away with concealer or lightening creams duhhhh Rolling Eyes

maybe there's a magic cream out there that I dunno yet?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:03 am      Reply with quote
I think applying powders and/or concealer may actually draw attention to it. Is it actually around your mouth? Just asking because I think the dark downy hair some women get on their cheeks near their ears is quite sexy.

You could try bleaching or waxing maybe, but for long term I would think you are looking at electrolysis or that laser treatment. Actually I think the laser thing is supposed to be really effective for very dark hair. God knows how much it costs though Confused

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
A friend had laser but she said it was PAINFUL because they have to do it to each hair!
Chveya

Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:34 am      Reply with quote
try threading... There is a little pain. Not permanent though.
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:09 am      Reply with quote
Don't understand what you mean by "mush".

Is the dark shadow what you have left after hair removal?
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:24 am      Reply with quote
donnababe wrote:
Don't understand what you mean by "mush".

Is the dark shadow what you have left after hair removal?

mushtasche?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:09 am      Reply with quote
I think you hit it, guapagirl! But I think of a mustache as being on the upper lip. To me, it sounds like she is talking about hair on the side of her face = sideburns?
Sweet_Angel
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:29 pm      Reply with quote
yep, I meant hair on upper lip. I have a dark shadow, sometimes green Laughing on my upper lip after hair removal, no matter what method of hair removal I choose. In fact it is like a permanent "stamp" on my upper lip. Its been there only for the last year or two though. Must be hormonal Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:10 am      Reply with quote
Do you have very pale skin and dark hair? Have you tried bleaching? It may be worth looking at laser removal. I think there are a few on here who have used it.

5% products discount

Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:28 am      Reply with quote
Have you tried waxing it?
skim
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:32 am      Reply with quote
Is the dark area actually darkened skin or hair? I pluck my mustache and shave the rest of my face. But I hear that sometimes the skin gets darker from pignmentation in some areas when you do hair removal.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:46 am      Reply with quote
I use one of those little groomers that are about $10.00. They bust the fuzz and remove a layer of dead skin. An everyday "thing", but easy to do. I used to wax, but it made me break out horribly (the wax residue).
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="guapagirl"]Do you have very pale skin and dark hair? Have you tried bleaching? It may be worth looking at laser removal. I think there are a few on here who have used it.[/quote]

My co-worker did laser removal of her upper lip hairs (she is east-Indian origin) and she had great results. But it did take a couple treatments before its finally gone forever. She is rather happy about it. One caution for people on laser treatment - wear sunscreen after the treatment otherwise you will get permanent pigmentation.
Sweet_Angel
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:35 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for your recommendations ladies. I have waxed, threaded, used creams, lotions, shaved, done everything! The upper lip skin is always darker, sometimes greenish Laughing you might have observed men have the same thing even after they have shaved.

iaimei, could you please tell me about your colleague's laser? Is she very light or dark skinned? I heard that lasers are effective only on people who have very light skin and very dark hair. If it is appropriate to ask you, did she have coarse hair? Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
When I take certain prescription medications it gives me the same problem. It comes from making the hair bulb very dark and thick and it shows through under the skin even when there's no hair visible above the skin. I have found no way around it when I'm taking one of those meds.

The best concealer I use for it is Coverblend by Exuviance.
sophie2010

Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:12 am      Reply with quote
Hi I have the same problem I look like a drag queen in makeup on pictures its worse looks like someones painted blue on my upper lip .
Relationships have been a prob as I've been paranoid about it I once went on hol and the guy I was with as I was sweating told me he could see me tash its was blue I was so embarrased . I'm now 34 started taking pill very young but cannot remember if I had face hair before that . I've shaved waxed plucked threaded bleached electroylis laser and non get rid of the discolouration its worse when its hot weather .
I went to docs recently and he advised me to buy vital gel and put it on the area sit in sun for 10 mins max and then wash it off .its pigmentation ! But always wear suncream when you go out anywhere I once read elle macpherson said she puts her suncream on before she even opens her curtains lol and I'd be dammed if I can look as good as she does . I've been doing this for about 2 months and it does work but you have to do it everyday. Also either thread or laser or elec don't shave or wax he advised me I bought a electroylis its was very cheap and its much better pulls the hairs right out even my underarms had a blue shadow and since I used electroylis its gone and only have to use it 2 a week also done my bilini line and that's not grown back in a week . kills though but no pain no game.

Its so frustrating to say its taken all these years but hope I've helped you . Do let me know if you have tried other things .
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:21 am      Reply with quote
Sakana wrote:
A friend had laser but she said it was PAINFUL because they have to do it to each hair!

Pain is subjective and varies from person to person. And no, laser treatments can do multiple strands of hair at once unless you're using an at-home device. I have done laser before and it doesn't hurt one bit, except for a little heat. But that's just me and you should go to a derm for a consult before going through with an entire laser treatment

Have you ever tried epilating? Those things hurt, but if you can get a decent one, it shouldn't hurt too much if the motor is strong enough to just take out your hair in one go. And people say they get used to the pain over time, sorta like plucking your eyebrows
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:42 am      Reply with quote
Sweet Angel...just dry shave it off. Its so much easier. I do this all the time to keep the fuzz off my chin and upper lip, sides of face. Been doing this for years...and no pain!
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
I'd think that destroying the hair root by electrolysis or laser would make any hair residue eventually fade over time as it's reabsorbed or ejected through the pore. An Italian friend had very successful electrolysis treatments. The drawback was it takes longer, several months, but it was easier for her to come up with smaller amounts of money each time instead of a lump sum for laser.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
Laser hair removal can be cheap- they have all tgose groupon deals thesedays.

But I went to a actual doctor that did my laser hair removal.
The price I was charged was very cheap...but his regular price was around $150 per treatment.

The doctor I saw made a LOT of money from my insurance though..for other things...so guess he was being nice then!

I did recently try electrolysis and the place I went to the girl who does it her price is $65 an hour, or 10 minutes for $15.
-don't think that is super cheap.
She had an ad on groupon,but her resume and info she posted sounded very knowledgeable...so I will stick with her.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:33 am      Reply with quote
I forgot to add that my Italian friend said to take aspirin half an hour before having electrolysis to make it less painful. I would think they'd use some topical anesthetic nowadays though. She went twenty years ago.

Yikes, I just had a suppressed memory: When I was in my twenties I had electrolysis on my armpits -- I think I went twice because it was so painful (didn't know about the aspirin trick). It was in a tiny, rather seedy office across the street from Macy's in NYC. All the other clients were drag queens. Shock
sophia11

Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:43 am      Reply with quote
vitix i have been using but you have to sit in the sun for it to work which is really inconvenient.

I an now trying cucumber with lime applied everyday should see results in 6 weeks so ill keep everyone posted.

The original post ladies is for discoloration not hair removal as we have tried every way of this and its damaged out skin ....
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
I forgot to add that my Italian friend said to take aspirin half an hour before having electrolysis to make it less painful. I would think they'd use some topical anesthetic nowadays though. She went twenty years ago.

Yikes, I just had a suppressed memory: When I was in my twenties I had electrolysis on my armpits -- I think I went twice because it was so painful (didn't know about the aspirin trick). It was in a tiny, rather seedy office across the street from Macy's in NYC. All the other clients were drag queens. Shock

Aspirin might not be a good thing to take. Aspirin is a known blood thinner and could cause bruising in a situation like this. Something like advil might be better

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
Laser is the only way to go if you have dark hair. I had most of my body done, it was the best thing I ever did for myself. I used to get the shadow under my armpits by the end of the day. It was painless, just a little discomfort, barely worth mentioning. They don't have to do it to each hair, that just not the way its done. Its a pulse of light that nails a fairly large area (probably takes only 20 shots, 2 minutes, for a whole armpit).

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hey, Sweet, it's true, laser is just a few pulses of heat/light. But if you've been plucking (waxing, threading) they'll tell you that the root of the hairs might be a bit distorted so the laser light doesn't quite get to all of the root.

So, if you're considering this method, don't pull the hairs out any more.

Check around for reviews of laser spas at Yelp or such, they're not all equal.

Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:23 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |