Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
How to find PPD-does LRP Anthelios L really have PPD 15?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Cautious newbie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:38 am      Reply with quote
I've been reading all the posts...someone posted an MUA post that lists PPD levels for various sunscreens...I have NO IDEA how one determines the PPD levels for these things.

Anyways, she posted La Roche Posay Anthelios L as having a PPD level of 15...which is good enough for me!

Recently, Canada approved LRP Anthelios XL cream - but I tried a sample and it is way too sticky for me. The brochure, I think suggests, that this only has a PPD of 12?? I've heard the fluide is pretty good but the stores here aren't selling that one.

I much prefer the Anthelios L texture, but because it does not contain Meroxyl XL, I just assumed that the PPD level would be quite low and far less than the XL one of 12?

Now, I'm all confused because MUA says Anthelios L has PPD of 15...which means Anthelios XL must be much higher. How can I verify this for myself?

For the minimal exposure I get 15 PPD is good enough for me if I could just confirm that "L"
really has that much protection.

Any help please?!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:35 am      Reply with quote
I realized that I need to be more specific.

I am asking about the SPF 60 Anthelios L and the SPF 60 Anthelios XL cream.

Thanks.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
I feel like an absolute idiot asking this - but was is PPD? Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:58 am      Reply with quote
Cautious newbie wrote:
I realized that I need to be more specific.

I am asking about the SPF 60 Anthelios L and the SPF 60 Anthelios XL cream.

Thanks.

http://www.laroche-posay.com/_int/_en/index.aspx

There is an Anthelios XL fluide extreme spf 50+, isn't that what you are looking for?

I think you must be referring to some out of date information, since spf 60 no longer exists in Euro sunscreens. The new ones are all spf 50, 40, and 20, and the fluide has a ppd of 17 and the cream a ppd of 38. hth!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
gottaHAVEitALL
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:25 am      Reply with quote
gottaHAVEitALL wrote:
I feel like an absolute idiot asking this - but was is PPD? Embarassed

After a bit of research on Google, I found the answer to my own question. I'm posting what I found here for those who may have the same question I did... I also posted some info on IPD. HTH!

Source: http://sun1.awardspace.com/Sunscreens/Standards/Standards.htm

Persistent Pigment Darkening Method (PPD)

Sunscreens with high PPD ratings do the best to protect those of us with extreme sun sensitivities against UVA light. So assume we want sunscreens with UVA ratings with a PPD greater than 15.

Persistant Pigment Darkening (PPD, UVA-PF)
The Persistent Pigment Darkening (PPD) method is a method of measuring UVA protection, similar to the SPF method of measuring UVB light protection. Theoretically, a sunscreen with a PPD rating of 10 should allow you to endure 10 times as much UVA as you would without protection. People are irradiated with a UV-A light source (320 to 400 nm). Two or three hours after irradiation with UVA, the skin has changed yielding a persistent pigment darkening. The advantage of the persistent pigment darkening is that the residual colour that has developed after exposure to the radiation allows a more precise reading to be taken. They compare the sunscreen protected (MPDp) skin and the unprotected (MPDu) skin to determine the results. The results were expressed as UVA-protection factors UVA-PF. [Tinosorb] [Nora80] [Ciba]

The PPD response is stable and reproducible; however its clinical significance is questionable, because the action spectrum for PPD is not defined for wavelengths shorter than 320 nm, and the response is masked during outdoor sun exposure by other skin responses to UV. Thus it is impossible to relate the PPD protection factor directly to the degree of protection is sunlight. [Stanfield]

Immediate Pigment Darkening, IPD
The immediate reactions induced by UVA radiation on the skin surface are an immediate darkening of the pigment and the appearance of a low intensity erythema hidden by the pigment.The appearance of an immediate pigment darkening is relatively easy to detect on subjects with a type III or IV phototype.This phenomena does not even show up on subjects with a I or II type phototype and is frankly difficult to see on individuals with a dark phototype.The immediate pigment darkening that develops after exposure to UVA rays does not really allow a precise reading to be taken.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:10 am      Reply with quote
I bought the LRP Anthelios XL cream at Shoppers too and used it for one day. Totally hated it since I'm so used to wearing Sofina sunscreens. It's so thick and sticky I'd never bring myself to wear it religiously!

I read on MUA they estimated the PPD using a chart on someone else's notebook. I'll post again when I find it.
youngrace
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
it's on the notepad "sunscreens." quite a good one, i think.
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, the PPD number is located on sunscreen's notepad, but she states in it that she used some other members PPD chart to get her estmated numbers...I remember I read through her ENTIRE notepad and sunscreenfaq to get to yet another notepad!!! It was quite the learning process!
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:37 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |