Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Review of TheFirm's aerobic workouts
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
radiantface
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:53 am      Reply with quote
I started working out with a ball since the beginning of March. Since I had not exercised for a very long time, I started out real slow by doing exercises on the ball designed for people with back and mobility problems which lasted about 35 minutes. I followed a video produced by Ballfit USA.

After 6 weeks, I started working out with DVDs produced by TheFirm (www.firmdirect.com). I started with Supercharged Body Sculpting that last about 30 minutes. The pace wasn't too fast for me and I used a stool as my step to do lunges and other moves.

After 10 sessions of Supercharged Body Sculpting, I moved to Ultimate Calorie Blaster. It's a 45-minute fast-pace workout. I experienced a lot of frustration learning the steps as it was so fast. I nearly quit working out with the DVD as I couldn't master the steps. Plus, the workout was so intense that it created stress to my body. As a result, I had trouble sleeping. However, I persisted in learning the moves and by session 7, I was finally in step with the instructor. I also took out my heart rate monitor and use it so that I don't over-exercise. I have to say this DVD really does help you burn lots of calories if you persist on with it.

Next week, I will learn the Aerobic Shaping workout so I will post my review after I have used it for at least 10 sessions.
havana8

Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:07 am      Reply with quote
Wow! I've used The Firm videos for years and have had excellent results with them... I remember when I started them that I really did see results in 10 sessions.
kittyd
10% products discount
free skin care

Good for you! I know getting back into working out is tough..hence not gotten back into yet. Keep up the good work. What have you noticed so far in how you feel or any results that you have seen?
havana8

p.s. Is the Aerobic Shaping also from The Firm? I'd love to hear how you make out with it...
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:20 am      Reply with quote
I adore The Firm workouts - especially the really early ones. My all-time favorite was the Aerobic Workout with Weights that's led by Susan Harris. Truly an awesome workout.
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:21 am      Reply with quote
I LUV the Firm workouts. I started out with them in 1990 and they were truly revolutionary. My favorite one was Volume 2 (w/ Janet Jones Gretzky). I just really liked the aerobic weight training concept.

I do have to say I don't order from them anymore. IMHO, when they were bought out by GoodTimes, they became much easier (read: less effective) workouts. I also got sick of having to buy a whole new pckg complete w/ another piece of cheesy equipment. I still have and use the original boxes b/c they were high quality wood (and fairly $$).

The creator of the Firm workouts (Anna Benson) came out w/ a new series (in 2005) called KickButt which is VERY similar to the original Firm. They use the concept of fusion excercising: a combo of pilates, yoga, cardio, and weights. I'd rate these as intermediate, whereas the <1999 Firms I'd rate as intermediate to advance. You can find them at Collage Video.

You can tell I have a lot to say on this topic (and knowledge, if I may say so myself Wink ) b/c the Firm is what really got me into excercising in the first place Exclamation

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
havana8

Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:39 am      Reply with quote
tsjmom wrote:
I LUV the Firm workouts. I started out with them in 1990 and they were truly revolutionary. My favorite one was Volume 2 (w/ Janet Jones Gretzky). I just really liked the aerobic weight training concept.

I do have to say I don't order from them anymore. IMHO, when they were bought out by GoodTimes, they became much easier (read: less effective) workouts. I also got sick of having to buy a whole new pckg complete w/ another piece of cheesy equipment. I still have and use the original boxes b/c they were high quality wood (and fairly $$).

The creator of the Firm workouts (Anna Benson) came out w/ a new series (in 2005) called KickButt which is VERY similar to the original Firm. They use the concept of fusion excercising: a combo of pilates, yoga, cardio, and weights. I'd rate these as intermediate, whereas the <1999 Firms I'd rate as intermediate to advance. You can find them at Collage Video.

You can tell I have a lot to say on this topic (and knowledge, if I may say so myself Wink ) b/c the Firm is what really got me into excercising in the first place Exclamation

It's really what got me interested in exercising too!! We were in the Caribbean for a few months looking for more to do and found them in a video store. I loved them so much that I bought my own copies when I finally got back home. I never liked the ones that came after as much and only ever kept Volumes 1 (Katee's favourite), 2 (your favourite) and 3. I will definitely make sure to look for the one from 2005 that you mentioned. Are there any others you you loved?
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:51 am      Reply with quote
tsjmom wrote:

I absolutely agree! The new Firm workouts usually aren't advanced enough for me to get a really good workout. The Benson sisters WERE the Firm. When they were bought out, it just wasn't the same. I had all my old videos transferred to dvd and then saved the files on my computer so I could make more when I wear them out.

Anna Benson's FitPrime workouts are, imo, comparable to the original Firm tapes...
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:24 am      Reply with quote
Just for you havana8 and b/c I loveeeeee (as Katee would say - nice to have you back Wink) I picked thru and came up w/ a list of my favorites. Keep in mind I have about 20-25 Firm videos.

Cardio Burn w/ Tamela (very tough)
Firm Parts Tough Aerobic Mix (tough cardio)
Super Cardio (one hour of some of the hardest cardio ever)
Core Cardio 2 w/ Dale
Original volumes 2, 3, and 4 (complete w/o)
Firm Parts Total Body Shaping Mix w/ Tracie (one hour w/ a bit more emphasis on toning - great)
Strong Heart w/ Heidi (similar to above)
Firm Parts Not So Tough Aerobic Mix (for lighter days)

Fat Blaster (a bit easier)
Tough Cardio Mix (same as above)

The first section is far and away my absolute favorites. I need more cardio as I can put on muscle pretty easily, but don't let the cardio emphasis fool you. They're all about aerobic WEIGHT TRAINING.

Now that I'm almost 40 I'm not looking to push my body to the limit (ie not much Cathe Friedrich), but the Firms can be modified greatly. I've also gotten really into kickboxing as my all time favorite type of w/o. Don't want to hijack your thread though Laughing

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:26 am      Reply with quote
PS that's a great idea Katee about transfering the videos to DVDs. I paid $50 for volume 2 Shock and it was worth every penny Exclamation

havana8

Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:33 am      Reply with quote
tsjmom wrote:
Just for you havana8 and b/c I loveeeeee (as Katee would say - nice to have you back Wink) I picked thru and came up w/ a list of my favorites. Keep in mind I have about 20-25 Firm videos.

Cardio Burn w/ Tamela (very tough)
Firm Parts Tough Aerobic Mix (tough cardio)
Super Cardio (one hour of some of the hardest cardio ever)
Core Cardio 2 w/ Dale
Original volumes 2, 3, and 4 (complete w/o)
Firm Parts Total Body Shaping Mix w/ Tracie (one hour w/ a bit more emphasis on toning - great)
Strong Heart w/ Heidi (similar to above)
Firm Parts Not So Tough Aerobic Mix (for lighter days)

Fat Blaster (a bit easier)
Tough Cardio Mix (same as above)

The first section is far and away my absolute favorites. I need more cardio as I can put on muscle pretty easily, but don't let the cardio emphasis fool you. They're all about aerobic WEIGHT TRAINING.

Now that I'm almost 40 I'm not looking to push my body to the limit (ie not much Cathe Friedrich), but the Firms can be modified greatly. I've also gotten really into kickboxing as my all time favorite type of w/o. Don't want to hijack your thread though Laughing

Wow! 20-25 Firm videos? Now that's devotion. Laughing Seriously, though, thanks so much for these recommendations. I will look for those today. Now.... about your kick-boxing. Do tell! I'll bet that does wonders for the legs.
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:15 am      Reply with quote
Are you trying to flatter me havana? Well, it's workin' Laughing I find that kickboxing not only works legs but the abs and arms (I wear 1 1/2 lb weighted gloves on each hand) as well. Plus, it gives me the added bonus of using up some mental aggression Mad Mad I feel really empowered doing kickboxing.

My faves (only cuz you asked Wink ):

Cathe Kick punch & Crunch (awesome)
Turbo Jam (the cardio party ones - they're longer)
Hardcore Kickboxing w/ Janis Saffell
Powerstrike (they're not as well made but are actually taught by real instructors so you get great pointers)
Kimberly Spreen (down to earth)(Cardio Camp W/O and a new one at collage video that I'm lemming - just really like her style)

Some of the Tae Bos are ok. HTH Cool

heathercolorado
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:40 pm      Reply with quote
The Firm's "Standing Legs."

I still can't finish it, and I still curse at it every time it kicks my butt!

Have about twenty Firm videos/DVDs, but this one is still my favorite.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
I agree, totally love the firm workouts as well. Very Happy
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
tsjmom wrote:
Are you trying to flatter me havana? Well, it's workin' Laughing I find that kickboxing not only works legs but the abs and arms (I wear 1 1/2 lb weighted gloves on each hand) as well. Plus, it gives me the added bonus of using up some mental aggression Mad Mad I feel really empowered doing kickboxing.

My faves (only cuz you asked Wink ):

Cathe Kick punch & Crunch (awesome)
Turbo Jam (the cardio party ones - they're longer)
Hardcore Kickboxing w/ Janis Saffell
Powerstrike (they're not as well made but are actually taught by real instructors so you get great pointers)
Kimberly Spreen (down to earth)(Cardio Camp W/O and a new one at collage video that I'm lemming - just really like her style)

Some of the Tae Bos are ok. HTH Cool

I absolutely looooooove Turbo Jam! I was doing it everyday, though, and then my knees started to hurt, so now I rotate. I think Tae Bo works, but I find it soooo boring!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
heathercolorado wrote:
The Firm's "Standing Legs."

I still can't finish it, and I still curse at it every time it kicks my butt!

Have about twenty Firm videos/DVDs, but this one is still my favorite.

I love this one.. does anyone remember me doing it over and over and posting about it last year at this time? Laughing I even got Mary H to buy it! That's the best firm leg video.

I have moved on from firm workouts to P90X. BEST WORKOUT EVER! Ohmygosh I can't rave enough about Power 90 X! I even installed the chin up bar and am getting some serious results. The ab ripper X is the HARDEST ab workout I have EVER found on video! P90X comes with 12 workouts all together and you do them for 3 months and get totally ripped. I'll post my "after" pictures at some point. LOVE p90x!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
PheobesMeow,
I'm looking forward to your "after" pics! I would love to get the P90X set!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
Half.com has a lot of the workout dvd/vhs stuff cheap. Like Standing Legs http://product.half.ebay.com/The-Firm-Firm-Parts-Standing-Legs_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ3264159
Chocolat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:19 am      Reply with quote
I collected some Firm tapes and then it started to bug me that all the participants were in Jane Fonda type leotards and had perfect little 20 yr old bodies. That plus some of the cheesy moves, verbal directions and endings of moves struck me as kinda soft-corn ------------. Not that I have anything against that! But not while I'm working out.

I have DVDs by Teresa Tapp, Jari Love, Firm, Pilates, BeachBody ... some others I can't remember ... weight equipment, a fitness ball, & a treadmill. I like to rotate what I do. I've considered Power 90x several times and now I'll have to look into it again, thanks, PhoebesMeow! Tae-bo is pretty boring to me too, and I have to watch I don't overdo kicking because of knee tendinitis leanings.
Swissmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
Cathe Friederich is good too. I love her weight training tapes.
radiantface
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry for the late review about The Firm's Aerobic Shaping.

Yes, I did move on to it after Ultimate Caloria Blaster. It's a little easier to learn than Ultimate Calorie Blaster although the length of the exercise is a bit longer.

Did I see results? Oh yes! I knew I lost weight without checking the weighing machine as I could fit into shorts and pants that were previously too tight for comfort. Friends who had not seen me for 3 months immediately commented that I had lost weight.

I liked that I had better sleep quality more energy, a more well-toned body.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:21 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |