Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

OILY skin and MMU/foundation...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
I had been on accutane (a total of 3x6-month rounds) so my skin had been pretty free of major breakouts, however I had the leftover acne scarring and spots...Went to sephora and they recommended the Caudalie Vinoperfect serum, and it's slightly lightening spots.
But with this change in weather, my super oily skin is creating a makeup nightmare.
I've looked through the forum and I saw a lot of raves about MMU. I've looked at the BE and LM, but from what I could tell, the LM had a lot of shimmer to it which I'm afraid may highlight the super oiliness.I'm just wondering how the MMU will be midday on oily skin (set into pores?) How buildable is the coverage, without looking makeup-y?
I was using Vichy's Thermal Fix 2 but it's now too heavy for my summer skin (am currently testing out Dr.Brandt's Poreless moisture). This has probably also contributed to the cakey, melted face I'm getting with my MAC studiofix.
I've also been looking at Makeup Forever's Mattifying Foundation which has pretty good coverage (i'd prefer to skip having to use coverup if possible)

For other oily girls out there, what have you been using that doesn't melt? Thanks!
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
I've just ordered samples of Lumiere and Everday Minerals, and will also get Alima once I figure out which color is best for me (asian-NC25 with MAC if anyone has suggestions)
ch3r
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using Alima for over a year now and I have oily skin. I love it. Alima is matte, but not too matte. I find in the summer i get slightly oiler, but I have yet to read about an MMU that completely prevents the oilies without some sort of primer. Alima has a new primer that I have yet to try out. MMU is basically trial and error. Some ladies like different finishes to their make up. Alima for me gives me just the right amount of glow once it sets. The right tools for application also helps.
I would go with something around W2 or G1 or 2. You can email the CS, and they will have some recs for you. They are generally very good with color matching even though they can't see you. LOL. The foundations are very yellow, which I think is great for asians, I have absolutely no pink to my skin. Some people hate it. You might have to mix if you find them too yellow, or you are in between shades, but the CS will premix for you free of charge once you've figured out your formulation.
luvyourskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:38 pm      Reply with quote
Although I am older, I still am oily in the T-Zone area. I have found MMU to be a great help at coverage, evening out my skintone, and keeping the oil under control.
I also find if it is very warm and I am oilier than usual, I like to use a light dusting of a colorless finiishing powder. I love the Morgen Schick powder, but I have seen good reviews on the Jurlique lavender and rose powder on the Forum.
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:06 am      Reply with quote
I think I'll try Alima's W2 and see how that goes.
I've read rave reviews of theyr #25 brush, anyone know when they may be getting more?
ch3r
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:19 am      Reply with quote
hopefully soon! it's a great brush. they are also looking to expand the brush line, so maybe they are waiting on that. also, you might want to email them and ask if they have any left. sometimes they just say "out of stock" even if they have a few brushes left in order to prevent disappointing people if they run out.

i would also recommend ordering more than one sample. they are only $1.50 right now, plus if you are going to pay for shipping you might as well get a bunch in case it is not the right color. Smile
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
I've done a search regarding primers, and now more confused than ever...I have super OILY, acne prone skin, enlarged pores and old acne scars (pretty, huh?)...so my questions regarding primers (as I'm trying to determine whether MMU is suitable for me)
-would i use it with/without a moisturizer? Over or under the moisturizer?
-will it help with the staying power/prevent cakiness? I tend to 'melt' powder foundations so am wary of MMU's staying power...
-powder vs gel vs cream? which is best for each skin type?
-would it be necessary to still use a finishing powder?
ch3r
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
HannaLee wrote:
I've done a search regarding primers, and now more confused than ever...I have super OILY, acne prone skin, enlarged pores and old acne scars (pretty, huh?)...so my questions regarding primers (as I'm trying to determine whether MMU is suitable for me)
-would i use it with/without a moisturizer? Over or under the moisturizer?
-will it help with the staying power/prevent cakiness? I tend to 'melt' powder foundations so am wary of MMU's staying power...
-powder vs gel vs cream? which is best for each skin type?
-would it be necessary to still use a finishing powder?

I have all those things you suffer from, except the "super oily" skin. since taking BCP, the oiliness went down dramatically.
MMU is basically trial and error. You can use it over a moisturizer if you want, but if you have oily skin, I don't really see why you would need it in the first place. If you are having trouble with flakes, exfoliate.
- find that MMU has much better staying power than regular makeup. application also makes a difference. using a dampened flocked sponge increases the coverage and makes it more water resistent (for me, anyway). also if you use a good brush (i push Alima #25), it can also really really help with the cakiness and the staying power. I also find that the brush helps prevent the "separation" of foundation on the face. I'm sure you know what i mean--foundation kind of clumps in certain oily areas of the face? i find that it rarely, if ever does that when i use the brush application.
- as for primers, well that is also trial error. gel Primers tend to break me out, because they contain lots of silicone. I can only take so much silicone before it breaks me out. Powder primers contain different ingredients to absorb the oil, like silica or mica, which is a derivative or form of silicone and less likely to break someone out (imo). it MIGHT be better to use a powder, but not necessarily.
- as for finishing powders, i don't think they are necessary, but some swear that it helps keep the oilies away. I personally didn't really see a difference with Alima finishing powder. it make my MMU set faster, but other than that, i personally did not really a big difference in keeping the shine away.

HTH!!
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for all your help ch3r!
Despite having oily skin, I just feel better having some sort of barrier between my skin and makeup so I've just been using my moisturizer, but I was thinking of finding an all-in-one product that might help to act as a primer as well to help even out my skin a bit before putting on the MMU.

If I use a finishing powder, so i still need to do the whole mist/spritz? Can I just buy one of those misting bottles they sell to carry perfume in and use regular tap, or is that just blasphemy?
ch3r
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
HannaLee wrote:
Thanks so much for all your help ch3r!
Despite having oily skin, I just feel better having some sort of barrier between my skin and makeup so I've just been using my moisturizer, but I was thinking of finding an all-in-one product that might help to act as a primer as well to help even out my skin a bit before putting on the MMU.

If I use a finishing powder, so i still need to do the whole mist/spritz? Can I just buy one of those misting bottles they sell to carry perfume in and use regular tap, or is that just blasphemy?

Heh. well if you insist on having some sort of "barrier between your skin and makeup, maybe try a light lotion, rather than a "moisturizer". Too much moisture for your skin might be counter-productive. I remember using moisturizers on my super-oily skin and it wouuld just be a MASK of oil. If you want that barrier, what I do, is use a good sunscreen if you are not already. I find this helps even out the skin if you find a good one that doesn't contribute to oiliness, doesn't break you out, a good base, and is protective.
- i don't think you need to spritz after the finishing powder, but I guess that is your own personal preference. As much as the finishing powder helps set the MMU quickly, I don't mind just letting my natural oils set it for me in about 5 minutes. I guess you could try spritzing it, but I don't know if it will make that big of a difference after the finishing powder.
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
I've read alout about pearl paste on this forum so I may look into that.
On a side note, which MMU is best for OILY skin? EDM vs. Lumiere vs. Alima?

PS emailed Alima, and they said they should be getting a batch of the #25 brushes in a few weeks...
ch3r
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
i push Alima, but I'm biased. LOL. Really, it depends on the kind of finish you like, and what your skin reacts to. I think EDM and Lumiere tend to be more matte, which would be good for your very oily skin. I've never tried the other ones so i can't say from experience. Lumiere and Alima are more golden from what I've read. I like Alima because it gives me just enough glow and it matches my skin tone perfectly.

samples are inexpensive, try them all. Very Happy
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
I ordered my EDM and Lumiere samples a couple nights ago, and am waiting for one of the makeup artists at Alima to help me figure out which I colours I should try.
*fingers crossed* I so want to love one of them!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:25 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |