Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Skin Care Questions??? Newbie to board
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
WISUNSHINE
5% products discount

Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hello, I new to this whole skin care stuff...for the last 8 years I've been using the Clinque line up until my girlfriend started going to school to become an estatition(sp). She has me so confused!! She basically keeps throwing out names of products that I have no clue of where to purchase them or what to start using. So here starts my search for the right products...SkinCeuticals is one that she has recommended to use, but I have no clue of what to purchase without breaking the bank. I am 33 yrs old and have a fair complexion(normal skin tone) with some freckles but somewhat tolerant of the sun. I need some suggestions on what cleanser and toner to purchase along with some sort of 2 in 1 moisturizer and sunscreen. I'm totally clueless on the oils that they sell, and would like to find out more information about them to help with some fine lines and wrinkles. Any help in the skin ceutical line would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you
And have a great day!! Very Happy
farouk
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
hi there newbie

fist things first... stop using clinique - its the worst of the worst brand you could ever use. I hate to make you feel sad but 8 years worth of clinique has probably microscopically damaged your skin. If you examine their list of ingredients their products are pumped to the hilt with nasty chemicals and comedogenic (acne forming) nasties. Their scruffing lotion can even strip paint!!! (i know this because ive tried!!)

Become a sophisticated skin care user. Examine ingredients before you decide to purchase an item. Look for natural ingredients, plant extracts, waters, scientifically approved acids etc.

SkinCeuticals is a good company...but i wouldnt recommend it at your age, and secondly i personally think theyre are better brands out there.

Start with DERMALOGICA or DECLEOR - they will be the best purchases you have ever made in your entire life. Start with a Cleanse, tone, exfoliate, treat (masque) and speciality treatment (target areas) regime.

Id love to be able to give specific recommendations but i dont know your skin type. Let me know and ill reply as soon as i can.

Dermalogica is a no-nonsense company developed by DERMATOLOGISTS at the dermal institute in america - their packaging is pretty awful compared to cliniques, but what your paying for is whats gone inside. Only natural extracts, plant hormones and non-comedogenic ingredients that are fragrance and colour free. All of these top quality ingredients are present in HIGH concentrations - not the usual 0.02%"!!!

Also, various celebrties use this product, Jada Pinkett Smith, Oprah, Victoria Beckham & Sharon Osbourne are all serious fans!!
WISUNSHINE
5% products discount

Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
Farouk,
Thanks for the reply!! Okay, Shock So I'm dumping the Clinique...But need some more help if you will. As for skin type, I belive I have normal skin tone on my face maybe a little bit of oil through the T-zone but not much. I rarely have break-outs. I guess you'll have to quiz me on what your looking for since I really am a dufas on describing my skin Embarassed
I'm all for the natural ingredients and am willing to try just about anything to keep me looking my age or younger.
WISUNSHINE
5% products discount

Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone else have any suggestions??
Thanks Much
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
I would have to strongly disagree with farouk comments about Skinceuticals and vit C. I don't believe that it is ever too early to start using vit C. It is probably one of the best things that you can do for your skin. Vit C helps protect your skin from sun damage (among other things) There are many great companies that produce vit C products, but it is pretty much agreed upon that SkinCeuticals is at the top in terms of quality.

I am 30, I have used SkinC's 20% vit C for about a year now and I cannot tell you the difference it has made. My face is the clearest and most lumonous it has been in all of my life. It sounds like we have somewhat similiar skintypes. I have always been somewhat prone to oil in the t-zone, but since using the vit C, my face has normalized a great deal. I would probably go as far as to call my face 'normal' Shock

I'll tell you the products that I use since it sounds like we have similiar skintypes.

Morning

Dermalogica Dermal Clay Cleanser
SkinC Vit C 20%
Cellex-C B5 Gel
Dermalogica Tinted Moisturizer (which has spf15)
Shiseido super smooth spf 33 sunscreen

night
retin-A or Cellex-C line smoother (for exfoliation
Cellex-C B5 gel
SkinC SeaSilk Moisturizer or CellexC New Complextion Cream

Now I just purchased some decleor ylangylang night balm, and I have to figure out how to work it in here somehow Think

Liz
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Liz. You are never too young to use Vitamin C serums. C protects your skin from free radical damage that occurs to when our skin is exposed to UV light. Too much unprotected exposure and you end up with a damaged collagen layer and wrinkly, papery, hyperpigmented skin. C is necessary for collagen synthesis AND it is an antioxidant. In other words, it "soaks" up those free radicals before they can damage your collagen layer. Taking C and E internally as well as regualar use of a good sunscreen,...and voila, you at your young age can preserve your nice skin for a good long time.
WISUNSHINE
5% products discount

Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:38 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks girls for the replys! Liz how the heck do you keep your products straight?? Is it just trial and error to see what works the best? And the 20% Vit C that you are using is it the serum? It seems like there's millions of choices to pick from and I'm looking for a simple plan to follow. How do you feel about the new Anew Avon products?(Did I just swear Shock ??) A girlfriend suggested using their new chemical peal. I'm going to go in and get a facial done this week to see if I can get some suggestions on my skin and what it needs for starters, and continue to look to you girls to answer some more questions. Thanks for being so helpful!!
Mabsy

Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:57 am      Reply with quote
WISUNSHINE wrote:
How do you feel about the new Anew Avon products?(Did I just swear Shock ??)

Laughing Yes, yes you did! Actually, no that's not being fair to Avon. It's just that I have not really liked the Anew products I have tried before, but this was quite some time ago.

I would also suggest to you to get on the vitamin C bandwagon. I have found Skinceuticals serums to be very good (as has my mum) and I also like the Vivier ones as well (Canadian brand). I would say however that 20% could be too strong for you to start with, depending on your skin of course. See if you can get a few samples.

Also, with your questions, what TYPE of cleanser do you usually prefer? Milky, foaming, exfoliating? In terms of 2-in-1 moisturisers, Dermalogica makes some good ones as does DDF. I also like the Murad Energizing Pomegranate Moisturizer (SPF 15) and their Essential Day Moisture (also SPF15).

In all fairness to Farouk, WISUNSHINE did ask about Skinceutcals and wanted recommendations for toners/cleansers, moisturiser etc. I don't think Farouk was referring to vit C serums per se. I don't know much about the Skinceutical line apart from their serums so I can't comment on those products.

Mabsy
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:29 am      Reply with quote
totally agree about using C vit serums, I don't think you are ever too young to start using them, though it maybe best to start with 10 or 12% at first. If you want to keep it simple, I would suggest a gentle cleanser of whatever type you prefer, C serum and a moisturiser such as Dr Hauskas rose cream. If ya wanna jazz it up, then maybe rosewater after cleansing, and B5 gel or relaxaline after C serum. Finally, use sunscreen, as that is absolutely the most important thing of all

5% products discount

Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:38 am      Reply with quote
Okay girls....I jumped in and ordered some dermalogica products...What's your opinion on these products??

All dermalogica

Special cleansing gel
Multi active toner
Skin Hydrating masque
Conditioning body wash
Exfoliating body scrub
Active Moist
Ultra rich body cream

Did I do okay? I forgot to order some of the Vit. C serum...but was uneasy about the concentrations for now. I guess it's a start and for some reason with all these products I get the picture of Samatha on "Sex in the City" after she got her chemical peal and had to walk around in her veil Laughing (anyone see that episode??)
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:23 am      Reply with quote
Quite a haul! But where's the C!!!! And the sunscreen!!!! Treatment products are all wonderful but if you don't protect your skin from damage (via antioxidants like C and E and sunscreen), it will all be for nought. But congrats on going all out and loading up on the credit card. I wish I had that sort of moxie.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:47 am      Reply with quote
Did you not read my last sentence, Wisunshine? Tschk, newbies Rolling Eyes

Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
WISUNSHINE wrote:
Okay girls.... I guess it's a start and for some reason with all these products I get the picture of Samatha on "Sex in the City" after she got her chemical peal and had to walk around in her veil Laughing (anyone see that episode??)

I saw it. Guapagirl went one better and reenacted it, have you read 'help I burnt my face off' Neutral
WISUNSHINE
5% products discount

Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:02 am      Reply with quote
Okay, Give me a little slack guapagirl!! I got a little excited about my shopping spree and thought I'd be covered with the spf in the moisterizer Sad Also I didn't order any vitimin C because I wasn't sure on what company to order it from?? Does it matter?? As for being a Newbie...I never said I was good at this stuff and needed help Wink I'll go back online and order some extra sunscreen and try out the SkinC vitamin C serum. What's another couple of bucks to keep me looking younger?? I would tend to guess that most women have a couple $100.00's invested in their skin care regimine...Is this out of line??

betterat40- I don't know if it's so much moxie...I think I just want to start doing something better for myself. I'll just tell the hubbie it's a business write-off for taking better care of my skin for working in our tavern Very Happy
Thanks girls hope you have a great day!!
Nikita
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:20 am      Reply with quote
Hi WiSunshine (and everyone else!)...

I'm a relative newbie too and I can completely endorse the Vitamin C serum which all of these guys above recommended to me...as I knew nothing about it before!

I have started with the Skinceuticals serum at 15% and have had no problems. My skin can be sensitive so I think I've done well. I have only been using it for 10 or so days now but I can already see results, especially in the pore sizes on my cheeks! I have also started to use Dermalogica's Microfoliant (i may have got that wrong) which is also very good, and very gentle too!

I have recently spent absoultely loads of money on skincare stuff, but I think its worth every penny! Try skin-etc.com, they are very competitively priced...

Hope that helps..

Niki
WISUNSHINE
5% products discount

Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:36 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Niki for the kind words of encoragement!! I think I'll go with the SkinC Vitamin C suggestions. This site rocks and I'm learning more everyday from these girls!! I'm just waiting for my shipment of youth to be delivered!! Laughing I ordered off of vipsalon and they seemed to have very competative prices except they don't carry skinC Crying or Very sad
Have a great day!!
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:44 am      Reply with quote
It is worth every penny you spend on skin care. I may have spent a lot lately but at least now it's on things that actually work, thanks to good advice on this site. Before I have thrown away loads of money on useless products. Somewhere on this site I actually wrote that we are performing a service buying beauty products. We are keeping people in jobs.How can that be a bad thing. Laughing
WISUNSHINE
5% products discount

Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:19 am      Reply with quote
Loopylori~ I'll agree to that this week Laughing I just have to see if they work now!!(I should get my stuff today Yippeee!!
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:21 am      Reply with quote
I see you have many great replies here and I'll give you one more to add to all the skincare confusion.

Oh! Please reconsider using Clinique! The top selling cosmetic line for 2003 is Clinique (owned by Lauder), followed by Estee Lauder and Lancome (owned by L'Oreal). In terms of skin care products, Clinique and Lauder have the formulary edge over anyone! Their moisturizers almost always include state of the art formulations. Both lines also offer some wonderful choices for sunscreens, not to mention foundations and mascaras.
skadoodle

Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:41 am      Reply with quote
In response to WISUNSHINES questions I also am a newbie to the board. I have to admit I am a clinique user also but only for a short time. I know a bit about skin care and favor natural ingredients plus essential oils. I just need guidance to what is out there and what is good. I am 34 and have good skin but could be better. I am going to try Yonka phyto contour cream on the recommendation from the forum. I need cleanser, toner and moisturizer recommendations. Please help. Thanks
Mabsy

Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:08 am      Reply with quote
WISUNSHINE wrote:
I would tend to guess that most women have a couple $100.00's invested in their skin care regimine...Is this out of line??

I wish I could control myself such that it wasn't true.... but *sigh* alas it is true for me and I would probably even say that it's not unusual to have over a $1000... if you're a product junkie that is *hangs head in shame and prays that other half will never find this post*
WISUNSHINE
5% products discount

Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Laughing Mabsy!! Just what I thought...There must be hundreds of product junkies on this board(let alone in the world)!! No worries(admiting your problem is the first step Surprised )I'm already spending my moneys worth here...and clearing out my bathroom of old stuff and adding more!! "All hail the closet full of beatiful things"!! Very Happy

SusieQ~ Thanks for trying to make me feel "not so bad" about the Clinique!! So do you think the sunscreen and the moisterizers are better than others in the clinique line?? It so bums me out on the wasted time and money I've used with this company Crying or Very sad And I so love my mascara from there!!
Mabsy

Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:31 am      Reply with quote
Wisunshine,

I actually have quite a few Clinique makeup products - I'm just too fond of their skincare (with the exception of the Repairwear Night). I really like their Naturally Glossy mascara. I haven't repurchased this for a while but I DO like it. I have some of their eyeshadows and, while I do like them, I have found much better ones.

Mabsy
bryngirl
5% products discount

Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:11 am      Reply with quote
I've always loved Clinique. It seems to work well. And if it's working for me (and you)....then why change.

I use their moisturizer, toner, soap, foaming face wash, take the day off (makeup remover), and in the past their anti-gravity face and eye stuff. I also only use their make-up.

I too am a product junkie...but I must admit...I lean towards stuff in the stores. Just like Wishunshine's friend - so far this board has made my head spin most of the time. People discuss products I've never heard of all the time. So I guess I regress back to what I know and like.
Mabsy

Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:09 am      Reply with quote
That's a very good point Bryngirl, if you are happy with the products you are using (be it Clinique or whatever) then you shouldn't stop using them just because someone else doesn't like them. My main gripe with Clinique for me has been their 3-step program. I really do feel that their toner thins out the skin in my case, quite noticeably so. They do have a mild-clarifying toner but apparently Clinique SAs have been instructed to sell it for maintenance purposes only. I.e., only sell it if someone who is already using it asks for it, but don't recommend it to people. I find that quite odd because I think that's the better product out of their toner range Think
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:55 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |