Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Newby with Obagi question
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all...
I am so happy to have found this forum.
I have just ordered my Obagi and will be going at it alone...I have been doing tons and tons of reseach and I think i got the application down pat. I know my skin and I will watch it closely. I will cut back if I get to sensitive. I will be using the Obagi to treat hyperpigmentation. I understand that the program is meant to last 4 months then you are on maintenance...and from what I've read maintenance is cutting down the products to 2 or 3 times a week? Is this correct? What have your doctors told you? I have read here that some have stopped the program completely but this has me confused. I have read that once you stop the hydrox the brown spots will reappear.
So my question what is the maintenance plan???
Thanks for all the help..Life has gotten a little expensive lately so I can't afford to do this through a doctor at this point.
Lou
Geminiwoman
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Lou!

I'm at week 4 1/2 of Obagi. I asked my derm about how long I should do the program, and what I should do for maintenance when I'm done. She said that it's a 28 week program...and that you really should continue with it all the time. But, I'm not going to do that...as it is too expensive, and I've read that it'll make your skin red all the time. She told me to continue using either Clear or Retin A (tretonin) after I complete the initial course of treatment. I'll likely use Clear...and then a month of the entire line once or twice a year...depending on how my skin is doing. Hope this helps! Happy to answer any questions you might have once you start (strictly based on my own experience, of course). There is tons of info on here from Obagi users...if you go to the Obagi page...you can easily find the posts by clicking on the link provided. Best of luck to you!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:04 am      Reply with quote
Thanks...I think the Obagi system runs in 6 week sessions..I think the first 6 weeks is "Out with the Old" the next 6 week phase is called "In with the New" and I can't remember the others..so from what I can figure out some people go on the system for 6, 12, 18..weeks depending on what is needed...I still haven't received my Ogagi Sad and trying to wait patiently...we have a get away with old friends at the end of July so I am hoping to have good skin by then. I will
keep a close eye on my skin and see how long I should stay on. I have been trying to prepare my skin for the Ogagi by using a light acid peel in the a.m. and .25% Tretinion in the evening. I have a prescription for .5 and will fill it out this week.
I would still love to know what people are doing for maintenance...thanks Lou
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
YEAH!!!!!! Very Happy Got my Ogagi today...I can't wait to wash my face..he..he..he...anyone with maintenance tips????
Lou
chorally
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:14 am      Reply with quote
We don't have an Obagi agent here and I did not go to the derm for consultation.

I just bought the Obagi items thru' EDS and used it by myself.

I have been using it for more than 2 years. And I am satisfied with the result a lot!!

I switched to use Obagi-C for a few months but I found that the result is not as good as before. Now I switched to Nuderm again and my skin turned better.

For maintenance, I sometimes stop using it at night and use some hydrating skincare instead.
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:17 am      Reply with quote
I bought my Obagi through EDS as well. I used it last night and this morning. I am a little red already so I won't use the tretinoin tonight. I want to take it easy since I live in South Florida and the kids are out of school so I will be spending more time outside than usual. I WILL not leave the house without my spf, hat and glasses.
Lou
chorally
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
You are lucky to have ordered Obagi before.

When I intended to reorder some items, I found that the prices in EDS for Obagi incresed 10%, comparing to last month!! Sad
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
Yikes.....
Well it will be worth the money if I see the results I am looking for..I have wasted money on so many different things..I have been doing Obagi for a couple of days now and my skin is not dry??? I am using Tretinion .25 and I know that Obagi calls for .5....I have a script for Tozorac .5..that I may fill out this week if I see no change...Lou
chorally
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
Loumomofthree wrote:
Yikes.....
Well it will be worth the money if I see the results I am looking for..I have wasted money on so many different things..I have been doing Obagi for a couple of days now and my skin is not dry??? I am using Tretinion .25 and I know that Obagi calls for .5....I have a script for Tozorac .5..that I may fill out this week if I see no change...Lou

You are absolutely right!! Very Happy
I have spent much money on many brands of skincare without getting obvious improvements.

I did not use Tretinion coz I could not buy it here (we don't have an Obagi agent). I could only buy the Obagi items via EDS.

I am curious if I could get more improvements by using Tretinion! Razz

Yet I am satisfied with the current result! Very Happy
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
so , you aren't using any type of retinoid (retin-a, tozorac or tretinion) with your blender at night.. from everything I have read it is a vital part of the system..I think (again ..from what I have read) you will get great results from adding it to your regime....check out the old post at Makemeheal ...skin board..on how to get it
hope this helps...
Lou
chorally
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
Loumomofthree wrote:
so , you aren't using any type of retinoid (retin-a, tozorac or tretinion) with your blender at night.. from everything I have read it is a vital part of the system..I think (again ..from what I have read) you will get great results from adding it to your regime....check out the old post at Makemeheal ...skin board..on how to get it
hope this helps...
Lou

Thanks for your advice. I might check it out here.
By the way, do you think your skin is drier than before? Did your Dr. give you any advice about this?
Thanks! Smile
Geminiwoman
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:51 am      Reply with quote
When I started using Obagi I found that my skin was drier for a bit...then started to feel better.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
can I only use obagi clear and exfoderm and blender just on the area which I got pigment? Confused

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:33 am      Reply with quote
yaling111 wrote:
can I only use obagi clear and exfoderm and blender just on the area which I got pigment? Confused

I would recommend using it all over your face, based on my experience. The med spa I went to had this skin analysing machine. I knew I had sundamage in a couple of areas (pigmentation), but the analysed photo absolutely freaked me out! I had so much other damaged skin, that I couldn't see! Plus, the system will help reduce lines, pore sizes,exfoliation and get all the crap that's buried underneath out. Also, your whole face will be looking the same (red or flaky). I'm glad it's summer where I am...because people just think I have a sunburn! Best wishes to you on this shared skincare journey! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
Geminiwoman- thank u!! I am so scare about flake part.. did u had peeling effect when u had obagi system? how is it look like? its that bad? can u still wearing make up? Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
Today its my 4th day...
oh no...my skin look even more darker than yesterday... My friends ask me did I get sick... crying.... I really cant imaging when my skin peeling or flaking... Sad

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:06 am      Reply with quote
yaling111,

I did have flaking when I first started. It looked like I'd had a sunburn which was flaking off. But I just washed my face with a washcloth and it pretty much took care of it. I've seen others post that they use a microderm cloth (must be specifically for facial use). So, I didn't have too much of a problem with that.
I've never worn foundation, but did usually use some powder. So...I guess you could try it and see if it helps. Make sure you use sunscreen before though...don't want to cause MORE damage.
Shortly after I started using Obagi...I also started using BareMinerals. They have a powder foundation that I really love! It covers the redness somewhat, gives my skin an even tone, and has spf 15 in it...so that helps protect me.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:36 am      Reply with quote
hi Geminiwoman

Yes, I am using BareMinerals for long time, and using foundation powder as well, hope I am doing the right thing... But my skin getting darker each day, will that be better after? If I stop now will my skin turning back to my normal color? I am already want to give up.. crying... Crying or Very sad

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
Yaling111,
Can you tell me a bit more about your skin getting darker? What is your natural skin color/tone? Is your whole face getting darker...or just in spots? And, please remind me...when did you start?

I am very fair, and when I first started...my skin turned reddish...like I had a sunburn. Not too long after (within about 2 weeks of starting the regimine, I think)...I noticed that it seemed as if my hyperpigmented areas...from sun damage...were getting darker too. Then, in another week or so, a couple of areas that I hadn't noticed any sun damage looked like they were damaged too. That all lessend, and the pigmented areas started getting lighter. Now, the one that really bothered me is almost GONE! This after just 6 weeks. Obagi "gets rid of the old"...and this is likely what's happening with you. Your skin is shedding cells faster than normal...so perhaps the darkening is due to older, darker cells coming to the surface faster...so it's more noticeable. Does it seem like that might be the case?

I recall you aren't using Retin-A...because you ordered online. Correct? One guess...and this is just a guess...is that since you don't have the Retin-A power, the shedding process may just take longer. It's also possible you won't receive the full benefit of the Obagi products without Retin-A. (I have NO medical training, and am just a user like yourself. So, please don't take my word as fact. I'm just trying to help you figure out what might be happening with your skin, using what I've read and my own experience.

I saw a reply to one of your posts in another thread...and totally agree that you should seek out a Doctor/Dermatologist if at all possible and get a prescription for Retin-A (Tretinonan - not sure if that's spelled right - is recommended as an alternative to Retin-A, and is also only available by prescription only). I have somewhat sensitive skin...so I'm on a lower dosage, 1/2%, normally people are prescribed 1%.

I too was a bit freaked out at first...thank GOD I'd found this forum and had a better idea of what to expect. I just persisted through it, and am now seeing the amazing results! Perhaps you could use a lighter shade of Bare Minerals? Not sure...because I'm just new to the whole makeup thing...have never worn foundation because I hate the way it feels.

Hang in there, and remember...sometimes you have to take a step back in order to take two steps forward. BIG HUGS!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:07 am      Reply with quote
Hi Geminiwoman,
thank for your big Hug, I need it!! I will try to find retin A. Hope it work for me.
I had very normal skin color just like other asian girl. but now look like I had sunburn...
hopefully I will get better..

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,
I am wonderning are all the retin A the same? if i dont use obagi Brand will that affect the result? coz I really cant find obagi in Australia, I am thinking to ask my Dr to write prescription for Retin-A. hopefully that would work.. Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
hi Geminiwoman,
I started 5 days ago, up to now I didnt have flaking effect, but my skin look red like apple, my pigment even red, till today my skin are lighter a bit (still darker than my usual skin), with the pigment I havent see any improvement. Crying or Very sad , maybe I didnt use Retin A. I am wonderning with the retin A if I didnt use obagi brand would that be okay?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
Most people don't use the Obagi retinol. You can get retin-a without a prescription online..I believe it is from Mexico and from all the post I have read on the "makemeheal" website, it is the real thing and MUCH cheaper than filling out a prescription here.
I believe that Obagi is meant to be used with Retin-a.
Hope this helps...I haven't ordered the retin-a online..only read about it.. I do have the website but I am not sure if I can post it here..
Geminiwoman
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
Yaling111,

I've had friends who've ordered prescriptions online...some have had success, others got ripped off. So, you may have great success and save money...but there is a risk. If you want to do this...I'd google the companies and see what information you can find on them...customer praise and/or complaints.

Any brand of Retin-A will work...I'm using Tretinoin. They basically do the same thing. What you want to be careful of is the strength of the product. If you have sensitive skin...get less (I do..get 1/2%...others I've seen get 1%). And...you want to start slowly. I was told to start using it w/Blender 3 times per week. Then, after 2 weeks, go up to 4 times per week. And...increase it every 2 weeks. (If I get really red, itchy or flaky...I have skipped a day). I don't usually use it two days in a row, because my skin is somewhat sensitive.

You can also look on the Obagi website (www.obagi.com is the address in the U.S.). I'm guessing you are using NuDerm? You can review the clinical trials...and it looks like they have comparisons to the system with and without Retin A/Tretinoin.

The redness may continue for a bit...and it will take time for your hyperpigmented areas to lighten. They didn't get there overnight/quickly...and it takes time for the regimine to work. Just speaking from my own experience...it DID happen!!! It was unsettling and a bit uncomfortable at first...but got much better as time progressed. Now, I am loving my skin!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:56 am      Reply with quote
My skin is a bit dry, and pores are bigger... Sad

hi Loumomofthree,
thank u for ur reply, I just checked this website, they had so many, which one do u think its the better one? which one did u use?

Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:51 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |