Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Tooth Whitening with Tooth Enamel Problems?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:50 am      Reply with quote
I have a bit of enamel loss on the bottom tips of my front teeth. It's not very noticeable, but if I look closely I can see that the teeth are more translucent in spots there.

The problem is that I want to whiten my teeth SOOOOO bad. I would go out and buy GoSmile or whatever like yesterday if I was no concerned about this problem. I tried a sample of it from Sephora a while ago and afterwards the more translucent parts of some of my teeth with the problem looked darker then before using it. It scared me from doing the whole program. As obviously you can only bleach and whiten the enamel, so the contrast between that and the parts that it wouldn't be able to lighten would make it stand out and look horrible. At least I think so.

Is there anyone who has some spots of enamel loss that has whitened your teeth? How did it look? What happened to the parts with less opaque enamel? I really just want white teeth, and I was so motivated to just do it before I noticed that problem.

Thanks!
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:36 am      Reply with quote
I dont believe that putting harsh chemicals on your already fragile teeth would be wise.I had really bad enamel problems so I just got veneers,it was expensive but worth it.I was told one reason the enamel wears off like that is that you have too much acid in your system.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks. It wasn't the answer I was hoping for. I don't want to spend a fortune and have fake teeth glued on. I guess I have no choice though. I just thought it would be more common that anyone has experienced problems with OTC whiteners being as popular as they are now days. I guess not. I can't stand not having white teeth. Confused
cathy_jean
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:50 am      Reply with quote
Hi BYRG

Before you invest in veneers, you might check out this thread on the skincare forum:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=23279

It's about something called "oil pulling" which is basically swishing some oil around in your mouth, each morning on an empty stomach, for about 20 minutes. You then spit it out (don't swallow it) and brush your teeth.

I can attest to the fact that it works wonders to whiten teeth. I don't have enamel problems but my teeth have always been very sensitive and I have had trouble using whiteners because of this. I started doing the OP around a month ago and along with whiter teeth, I've also noticed they seem to be less sensitive.

It is one of those things that can't hurt (as long as you can stomach having the oil in your mouth - I don't have any problem with that) and doesn't cost much to try. The oil is supposed to be cold pressed, and safflower and sunflower are the two most highly recommended oils. I've also been using coconut with very good results.

There's more information on curezone.com about oil pulling.

Sorry for the long post but I thought you might be interested in this.

-Cathy

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
I have the same problem and I've been told that even the most expensive treatment will have limited effect. The enamel need sto be strong to whiten significantly. I'm saving up for porcelain veneers ($$$$).
luvyourskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:14 pm      Reply with quote
I think the transparent bit at the bottom of your teeth is from a lack of Dentin, which lies beneath the enamel and gives teeth their colour. Apparently there is nothing you can do to regain the loss of dentin, so it is important to take care of the enamel so you don't lose more. I have started using ProEnamel which is supposed to help...who knows, but it is worth a try!
Whitening will not help with the transparent area, but will improve the color of the rest of the tooth.
I have a transparent line on the bottom of my top centre teeth, and I do whiten twice a year. It makes a big difference! I do have sensitive teeth though, so I only bleach them every other day for about 10 days.
A good tip my dentist gave me was to brush with Sensodyne for a couple of weeks before you want to whiten...it helps cut down on the tooth pain you can get. Very Happy
luvyourskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:22 pm      Reply with quote
By the way, I forgot to ask...cathy jean mentioned that oil pulling whitened her teeth. I OP'd for a couple weeks with the recommended sunflower oil. It made my (and others) teeth yellow. I was wondering what kin of oil you were using????
cathy_jean
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
luvyourskin wrote:
By the way, I forgot to ask...cathy jean mentioned that oil pulling whitened her teeth. I OP'd for a couple weeks with the recommended sunflower oil. It made my (and others) teeth yellow. I was wondering what kin of oil you were using????

Hi luv

I'm really sorry to hear that the oil didn't work out for you, too.

I mostly use extra virgin, expeller pressed coconut oil -- I tend to choose this one just because I like the taste of it. I don't know if it has more whitening power than the sunflower and quite honestly, I don't understand why it works, but it seems to be working for me (knocking on wood!)

-Cathy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
I spent 16,000 on porcelain veneers. My crooked yellow teeth were made to look completely straight and white. It made an unbelieveable difference! I get compliments everyday on my teeth but never tell people they are veneers.Having perfect teeth will make you look a lot younger too. Make sure you go to an excellent dentist.I went to one of the best in san diego.She is a woman, very picky, she shut her office down for a whole day to work on me.She does the TV newscasters in SD so I knew she would be good.Best $$$ I ever spent.
xiao_bai

Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
lucyluc,

Do you mind my asking how many teeth you had veneered -- and which ones? Also, did you consult many dentists before choosing the one you did, or was she your immediate choice?

I'm thinking about having some cosmetic dentistry done, but am overwhelmed by the selection of dentists and how to choose the best!!!

Thanks,
Bai.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |