Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)
commercial (stable) vit c serums VS diy
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
what are the diffrent brands of stable or good vitamin c serums and the pros and cons versus diy l-ascorbic acid in terms of price, skin bioavalaibility, skin type & tolerance.. you name it.

I'm much obligued to you for the ins and outs of this topic matter.

PS: can we posibly cover all the relevant info in just one topic so we all can lookup easily, and thus ease trouble especially for members who are overwhelmed by the yielded results of their search. hmm
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, bciw

I'd like to start off by clearing up what I think is a misconception. Not all DIY topical vitamin C preparations are solely L-Ascorbic Acid, which is the most unstable form of vit. C. The more stable forms of vitamin C, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (MAP) and Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, are also now available to DIYers. All three of these are very bioavailable.

L-Ascorbic Acid, mixed with distilled water, starts to degrade quite quickly so it doesn't store well. I use a fresh mix of this each morning while still in the shower and pat it all over. Put too much L-Ascorbic Acid and too little water and you're gonna dance! Laughing

My favorite of all purchased topical Vitamin C serums is Candessence's Ultra Triple C Serum, which has all three of the forms of vitamin C that I mentioned. It keeps very well and gives my skin a glow of health unlike any other topical C I've used.

HTH

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:30 am      Reply with quote
bciw wrote:
what are the diffrent brands of stable or good vitamin c serums and the pros and cons versus diy l-ascorbic acid in terms of price, skin bioavalaibility, skin type & tolerance.. you name it.

I'm much obligued to you for the ins and outs of this topic matter.

PS: can we posibly cover all the relevant info in just one topic so we all can lookup easily, and thus ease trouble especially for members who are overwhelmed by the yielded results of their search. hmm

EDS has quite a large list of product lines, many of which contain a Vitamin C product. On the front page of EDS, there is a search field and if you put in something like Vitamin C then you should receive a list of all the Vit C products. Many of the products list ingredients and the suitability to different skin types. There are also links to forum reviews and discussion. I think you should do a little investigation yourself on the products available as 100 forum members would name 100 different products as their favourite.
I would also say that you should probably become more familiar with the types of Vit C available before going the DIY route or products like Candessence as DIY is truly going into untested product territory. The reason why commercial manufacturers of product lines including Vit C cost more is partly due to conforming to regulations , ensuring quality control of products, product testing and control over ingredient mix and preparation.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:04 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
The more stable forms of vitamin C, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (MAP) and Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, are also now available to DIYers. All three of these are very bioavailable

I heard that these are less potent, cos the skin can only convert a limited amount to a usable form for absorption. so are these the vitamin C derivatives that come encapsulated or else in order to make them stable?
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:26 am      Reply with quote
and it confuses me more, the fact that the terms ascorbic powder and crystal are used interchangeably. some say, (maybe it was all in my mind) they take a pinch of crystals and mix it with water right in their hands so it is applied fresh each time. wao! but i think they probably meant a form of vit c powder, to be mixed like that and not the pure l-ascorbic acid powder or crystals from the healthfood shop right? anyone, please enlighten me in layman terms.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:45 am      Reply with quote
bciw, I know nothing about DIY Vit C but you may find the answers to your questions in the DIY forum section rather than here.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:14 am      Reply with quote
Hi, bciw

It can be a bit confusing. There is a discussion on this going on now on the "55 and Over Skin Care Issues" Thread.

Ari

bciw wrote:
and it confuses me more, the fact that the terms ascorbic powder and crystal are used interchangeably. some say, (maybe it was all in my mind) they take a pinch of crystals and mix it with water right in their hands so it is applied fresh each time. wao! but i think they probably meant a form of vit c powder, to be mixed like that and not the pure l-ascorbic acid powder or crystals from the healthfood shop right? anyone, please enlighten me in layman terms.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:54 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |