Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

My ACL Surgery
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
deanne123
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:51 am      Reply with quote
Hello Everyone!

Well, today is 22 days after my surgery and I'm geting ready to head back to work next week. I can't believe how fast my knee healed! I'm very excited.

I hurt my knee last year in July and completely tore my ACL. I found out that this is a very common injury in athletic women/girls. The weird thing is I never even heard of an ACL until i broke mine. Laughing

I did not get my knee operated on until May 07...mostly due to my attempt to heal without surgery...I needed to go to a school for a job promotion and partly due to the fear factor. I was afraid it would get worse.

Well, thanks to input from the ladies here I did NOT have surgery in town but went to Tucson! I ended up at Tucson Orthopedic and they did a wonderful job!!!!!

I had an allograft. The recovery from surgery was much faster than I thought! I was off the crutches in less than a week and I'm back to walking normally now (mostly). I get tired quickly and the muscles are still learning to operate normally. I was surprised how fast the muscle around my injured knee went, well, squishy. Hehe. PT has helped and also, my Mom came down to help by making me get up and do the exercises. Laughing

FYI: for anyone who may be considering surgery the basic options are patella tendon, hamstring, or allograft reconstruction. The patella tendon is used most often with men, the hamstring with women, and the allograft by either.

I was very lucky that I did not further injure my knee over the last year. The doc was surprised too! I did use a brace and what a pain that was (but they worked). My knee collapsed three times over the last year and twice I had on a brace that kept my knee in place. The last time was in April and thank goodness my husband caught me otherwise it could have caused damage. I only stepped off a curb and my knee went out. That is how it is with this type of injury. It will never fully recover until surgery.

I decided to get it fixed once and for all and I'm so glad! I still have a ways to before I can run again, but I'm looking at a full recovery!!

Unfortunately, I may lose my job over this...the promotion. My supervisor called to say they were looking into my recovery time and if I can still fill my position. This makes me upset. I have new people in charge, but I have always been open about my injury and that it was never IF I got the operation, but WHEN. My leadership told me to go to school and try to make it. If so, great come back and have the surgery. If not, have the surgery then they would send me when I was recovered. Well, against the odds, I made it and when I got back I was asked not to have the surgery yet because they needed me at work.

Finally, I couldn't wait longer or risk injury further. Now, I may be headed back to work and I could lose my position that I really worked hard to get.

I won't know until next week, but it still smarts. I feel a little betrayed and frustrated at the process. I've been a team player and did what was asked, but when I do something for me then I risk losing what I worked so hard for.

The worst part is I'm finally fixed and just need a bit to get back to full running and activity level. I'm almost there I just need a month or two or three. Sorry for the whine. I just needed to get it off my chest.

Thanks for listening.

P.S. I've been using Mederma and Vit E oil on the stitches. Any other advice to prevent scarring?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hey deanne123, glad to hear the surgery went well. I've had it done (on both knees) a couple of times (twice on both knees). I have "d-shaped" ACL as oppose to the normal "c-shape", so I'm pretty prone to injury ...

I used vitamin E oil tablets on my scars; they did a pretty good job.

22 days - you sound like you're doing very well, Doing the exercises really helps, especially on both legs to keep it equal. I wouldn't try full running until at least 8 weeks are up, the rest of your muscles may not be up for running when they are already compensating on the recovery of your surgery.

About your job - I don't know what you do, but that seems somewhat odd. You'll be back to 100% before you know it. Keep your spirits up! Smile

Hope the rest of your recovery goes well!
deanne123
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Ulana!!

WOW!! Both knees? TWICE?!! Ouch!! So did you have allografts on all of them? How are your knees now?

Even with the replacements you still have 'd' shaped ACLs? How did you injure your knees?

I was told it would take 6 months for it to be back to normal. How long has it been for you?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, I really sympathize. I'm getting surgery on both knees in a couple months. They'll do them one month apart. Heal well!
girlywhirly

Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
The only advice I can give about scars is keep 'em out of direct sun. (They tend to darken and stay that way...)

I had ACL reconstruction using the patellar tendon in 1995. Like you, I had surgery long after the original injury, trying to convince myself it was nothing. You're right, the quads go squishy fast! I was back at work in 11 days, PT for 4 or 5 weeks, and I haven't had any problems since.

Good luck with your rehab.

Smile girlywhirly
deanne123
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you everyone for your kind words! Alice...I just noticed I called you Ulana!?? I'm so sorry. I don't know why I typed that! Embarassed Please forgive??

Well I am back to work and they don't know what to do with me. My boss spoke to my PT who painted this picture that I can't run for 6 months and I'm having a hell of a time trying to convince them otherwise! I am healing faster than expected; however, my PT is worried I will reinjure myself by going too much too fast! I do want to get back to normal, but I have no intention of going thru this again!! I will give myself time to heal, but I'm not an invalid for the next 5 months!! It's madding to have people pat you on the head and tell you they are looking out for your benefit but not listen to you!!

Right now, I was told they need another 24hrs to decide my fate. I was told Tues I would be removed from my current position (temp) until I was better. A bitter pill, but at least it wasn't permanant. So in 3-4 months I was looking about going back to my current position. NOW I was told they need to rethink this because if I'm removed then I might now be eligible to come back!! My boss doesn't not want to lose me forever, but I found out this is a numbers game! If my section removes me, then they can request another female with silimar training due to the 'emergency of having a vacancy'. Then when I'm better they will have TWO of us.

It's a numbers game and I hate it!! It won't look bad for me (injury from work) and my section can try to get more people. But it's hard not to take it personnaly esp. when I won't get the pay increase of $375 a month until I'm reinstated! I'm sorry, but taking money from me makes it personnal!!

I really think they are trying to do the right thing for all parties, but it still sucks!

I hate being hurt!! Laughing

Oh, thank you for the tips about the sun. I think I will keep the bandaids on them until they dissappear. Oh, I have been keeping with the mederma and Vit E oil with bandaids to keep the oil on the skin. It really seems to be working. I think it will just be a long process. THank you all for letting me rant!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
Glad to hear you're healing quickly! I'm happy to hear things seem to be working out with your job too! Definitely take this time to rest - no job is worth injuring yourself more or permanently!

PS - I just had my username changed for security purposes ... my name is Ulana, so you were in the right to do so Smile
deanne123
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
Oh thank goodness...I thought I'd lost me mind! Laughing

Well, it has been 6 weeks since my surgery and the doctor told me I can start walking for distance. That may not sound like a big thing, but my Phy Theripist wanted me ONLY doing PT with only involved leg extentions and range of motion exercises. It is a baby step forward and I'm happy.

FYI: I'm doing well. I'm walking normally and I haven't had any infections or complications. My knee gets sore when I over do it, but my work has been understanding. I think they know I'm trying my best. My scars are improving and I'm doing what was suggested (keeping them out of the sun). I layer mederma and Vit E and use bandaids to keep the oil on and block the sun). Some parts of the larger incision are going light pink and are NOT raised. Very Happy The other ones are still a dark pink but healing flat so I hope they will get lighter later. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Thank you for the kind words and Alice you are right...its better to heal than risk getting hurt again!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:12 pm      Reply with quote
Yogi--I just re-read all the posts...I missed responding to yours! Embarassed

I wondered what surgery are you going to have? Do both your knees have the same problem?

I hope you get a great surgeon!! It really makes a difference.

During PT I've seen 3 folks who had surgery locally and all of them have large scars with staples. Two of the them are doing well, but the doctor sure didn't worry about looks! I really didn't think about it before my surgery, but now afterwards I think I should have.

I just wanted to get fixed, but if I ended up with needlessly large scars I know I would be less satisfied now.

Scars weren't even a thought for me before surgery as long as the doctor did a good job. I don't mind scars as long as there is no choice, but I admit I'm glad mine was very skilled. It really comes down to the skill of the surgeon. That is my two cents (which is what it is worth! ) Laughing

My advice is to try talking with people who had surgery with your doctor and get their advice. If that isn't possible, then talk to their staff. That is how I picked my doctor. I asked about 5 people who worked at the orthopedic that if they were going to have surgery which doctor would they pick. I picked the name that came up the most. Very Happy Dumb luck really smiled on me with this one!!

Best of luck with your surgery and I hope it goes well and they give you great pain meds. Laughing

Keep us posted. I know I'm interested in knee stuff now. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
I'm seeing another orthopedic surgeon on Thursday, so I'll know more then.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:34 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |