Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Marilyn Monroe's Make-up Tips
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
I am a huge of Marilyn Monroe and have always heard that she was an expert at applying make-up. I found this article and thought I would share:

http://teamsugar.com/group/137941/blog/197582

Apparently, she used products from erno lazslo, elizabeth arden and even cleansing oil from shu uemura Shock !

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing - I'm not a great Marilyn fan, but have to admit her makeup knowledge is incredible!

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
Skinaddicted-I love MM and her makeup. I found that link fascinating-most of her techniques are still in use today-unfortunately, I haven't found a red lipstick that I can wear due to my reddish hair.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Gee! I had forgotten how much I miss Marilyn Monroe! Crying or Very sad

I have always been fascinated by her ... possibly because I recall vividly the day they found her dead in her home! Shock I was heartbroken!

Thanks for the article link!

She was such a lovely looking woman ... although I often preferred her look without makeup. I don't know how much touch-up they did on photos in those days ... but her skin looked flawless!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
She has such beatiful skin, wonder how she maintained her looks so well.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for posting this. I'm going to try some of those eye tips next "date night."

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
The eyeliner/white highlighter tip sounds interesting, but 5 colors of lipstick? I am lucky if I have time to use lip liner AND lipstick. Anymore, it's a sweep of gloss and I'm done. Maybe if I had 1 1/2 hours to do my make-up, but who am I kidding--my kids or my dog (don't get grossed out--he's a sneak attacker) would just kiss it off.
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you - this has been my favorite post on thid forum ever - I love the tips and can't wait to try them out tomorrow~!~
Blacklace
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks! I have always wondered how that girl looked so hot. In fact I thought she never wore much makeup so to find out she took hours is a bit heartening. The lower eyeliner trick is interesting; will try that. I think she had a certain je ne sais quoi in her look which made her such an icon.

5% products discount

Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:03 am      Reply with quote
I think it's wonderful that Marilyn Monroe's mystique is still so vibrant.

Very interesting piece. Thank you for posting it!
deanne123
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:22 am      Reply with quote
Wow! I love the eyeliner part! I'm going to try it. It really sounds right along the lines I learned with the Lauren Hutten Face Disk Video.

I'm going to try the eyeliner part on the lower lashes with the highlighter from LH.

This was fun to read! Thanks for posting.

I wonder what Avalange would say about MM using Vaseline? Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
what a fun thread--thanks!

I have a "tip" to add:
Most people don't look at all good with eyeliner that runs from corner to corner across the upper lid. It worked for MM because she had such large, deep, wide set eyes.
For those of us without kate moss or MM's eyes, the best trick is to line on EITHER side of the iris only, meaning from the corner to the top of the iris, and from the top of the iris on the other side to the outer corner, getting a bit heavier towards the outer edge of the eye if you want a cat-eye look. THEN line the INSIDE of your eye (underneath the eyelashes) to pull it all together. Sometimes I even dab with a very fine brush some pigment anywhere where there might be skin color left at my lash line. This trick works WONDERS, and saves those people who thik they can't wear eyeliner. I hope someone will try it and corroborate what I'm sayin'!
for instance:

It looks like I lined my entire eye--but I really didn't!!!!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
deanne123 wrote:

I wonder what Avalange would say about MM using Vaseline? Laughing

Back then, there weren't many options as far as emollients went! I just think that now since we are much older and wiser, we should use the best options available to us. but to each her/his own! my mom uses vaseline religiously on her skin, and she does look great.

but hey, I think layering vaseline and powder is a GREAT way to get SUPERIOR coverage! No wonder she needed the heavy duty cleansing oil! Wink

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
deanne123
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
OMG!!!! Your eyes look GORGEOUS! I'll try it too! Thanks for the tips and dang your eyes look pretty!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
This is such an interesting thread! It was great to gather a few new (old) tips, and to find out how celebs managed such great make-up effects when the products were so limited!! I do remember though when the Laszlo products were the HG of the day!!! Very Happy
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:
Gee! I had forgotten how much I miss Marilyn Monroe! Crying or Very sad

I have always been fascinated by her ... possibly because I recall vividly the day they found her dead in her home! Shock I was heartbroken!

Thanks for the article link!

She was such a lovely looking woman ... although I often preferred her look without makeup. I don't know how much touch-up they did on photos in those days ... but her skin looked flawless!

wow Mary! I was just watching my documentary dvd of Marilyn's final days and they said that many people were devastated when they had announced her death and the amount of women who sympathized with Marilyn was astounding since it was assumed that she largely had appeal for men only. that must have been so interesting.

luvyourskin wrote:
I do remember though when the Laszlo products were the HG of the day!!! Very Happy

isn't it interesting how brands have their boom and busts? never thought of erno lazslo as being all that big but then again i don't much about the company at all.

avalange--that's a really nice recreation. as a marilyn fan, i say your eyes looks like hers when you do it that way. awesome job!

i won't have time to play around to achieve Miss Monroe's look for a while but i hope everyone else enjoys the thread and you're welcome of course Smile .

Kristen~

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:30 am      Reply with quote
Hi K,

Actually, I took those pictures months ago, just to show myself what my eyelashes were looking like after Revitalash. I decided to glam it up that day, and didn't really think about taking pics until afterwards--hence the not-so-precise job on the liner. so I didn't actually MEAN to try to look like MM, but wow that's such a compliment. I look absolutely nothing like her!

She was indeed a goddess in more ways than one. Since I'm a total glamourpuss and love to feel sexy (I'm talking garter belts and fine stockings, cashmere pencil skirts, shelf bras, ettc...) AND I'm a bookworm, my favorite period of MM's life is when she became all intellectual and married Arthur Miller and wore thick black rimmed glasses. She made reading literature very sexy!

--avalange

Ninetynine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:46 am      Reply with quote
Avalange

Your eyes are beautiful.

Got to try the tip about using the white between the upper and lower lashes.

I don't think I can put Vaseline on my face. My face is oily enough as it is Exclamation

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:08 am      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:

I have a "tip" to add:
Most people don't look at all good with eyeliner that runs from corner to corner across the upper lid. It worked for MM because she had such large, deep, wide set eyes.
For those of us without kate moss or MM's eyes, the best trick is to line on EITHER side of the iris only, meaning from the corner to the top of the iris, and from the top of the iris on the other side to the outer corner, getting a bit heavier towards the outer edge of the eye if you want a cat-eye look. THEN line the INSIDE of your eye (underneath the eyelashes) to pull it all together. Sometimes I even dab with a very fine brush some pigment anywhere where there might be skin color left at my lash line. This trick works WONDERS, and saves those people who thik they can't wear eyeliner. I hope someone will try it and corroborate what I'm sayin'!
for instance:

--avalange

Beautiful eyes, avalange! May I know which eyeliner did you use in those pics? Smile
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:21 am      Reply with quote
Avalange, I am confused by your post about not lining the entire eye:

Quote:
the best trick is to line on EITHER side of the iris only, meaning from the corner to the top of the iris, and from the top of the iris on the other side to the outer corner, getting a bit heavier towards the outer edge of the eye if you want a cat-eye look. THEN line the INSIDE of your eye (underneath the eyelashes) to pull it all together.

If you line your eye from the corner to the top of the iris and then from the top of the iris to the outer corner, doesn't that make it the entire eye? Do you leave a gap on the top of the iris?
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:09 am      Reply with quote
hi c!

yes, I do. Then i take a fine brush, almost perpendicular to my lash line, and dot more liner right in between my lashes, where i did not line (over the iris). and use liner underneath the top lashes, just to cover all the skin-colored parts--that's the key, it's what pulls it all together.

--avalange

bkkgirl wrote:
Avalange, I am confused by your post about not lining the entire eye:

Quote:
the best trick is to line on EITHER side of the iris only, meaning from the corner to the top of the iris, and from the top of the iris on the other side to the outer corner, getting a bit heavier towards the outer edge of the eye if you want a cat-eye look. THEN line the INSIDE of your eye (underneath the eyelashes) to pull it all together.

If you line your eye from the corner to the top of the iris and then from the top of the iris to the outer corner, doesn't that make it the entire eye? Do you leave a gap on the top of the iris?

avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:12 am      Reply with quote
hi lisey,

you can really use any eyeliner. in these pics i happened to use jane iredale eye shadow, the one that comes in the "day" palette. but really, it's the right brush that counts. I've been using vincent longo's #7 brush for many years with excellent results--not too fine of a line, and easy to control. I also achieve this look with lancome's liquid eyeliner pens, but i always like to go over liquid eyeliner with a tiny bit of the same colored shadow.

hth!

--avalange
Lisey wrote:
avalange wrote:

I have a "tip" to add:
for instance:

--avalange

Beautiful eyes, avalange! May I know which eyeliner did you use in those pics? Smile

nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:37 am      Reply with quote
Avalange, When you go over the liquid eyeliner, do you wait until it's dry? what type of eyeliner do you use on the inner part of the top lid? I usually use mmu shadow moistened but have never tried it on the inner lid. Thanks.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:13 am      Reply with quote
nomoreneckpain wrote:
Avalange, When you go over the liquid eyeliner, do you wait until it's dry? what type of eyeliner do you use on the inner part of the top lid? I usually use mmu shadow moistened but have never tried it on the inner lid. Thanks.

the one i have dries instantly, i think it s called artliner. like you i just use a little mineral powder; never seems to get into my eye if i do it right. i suppose now that i think about it, liquid would work best there.
i'm hoping someone will try this technique soon and let me know if it works on them!

--avalange

p.s. i think you can see better what i've done (and where i've screwed up) here:

jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:21 am      Reply with quote
Me too. I'm not a Marilyn Monroe's fan but I always enjoy her movies! Smile

athena123 wrote:
Thanks for sharing - I'm not a great Marilyn fan, but have to admit her makeup knowledge is incredible!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |