Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

MMU and pores
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
Last night I finally received my Lumiere samples in the mail (funny I haven't gotten my EDM yets, even though I ordered those a few days before lumiere...)
Anyways, I tried it this morning, just using a large MAC blush brush, as I'm waiting for the raved about Alima #25 brush to come in rather than buying a substitute in the mean time. The colour samples of the VV were lighter than I was expecting (the luminesse version of the same colour was a good match though).

Well, I applied it, and it felt like I had no makeup on at all BUT every pore on my face was huger than normal.
Is it improper application, the slightly off colour match or the makeup itself that is making it look like this one me?

(I washed, used Caudalie vinoperfect serum, then Dr. Brandt's poreless moisture before putting on the makeup)
yogi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried misting your face after you apply it?
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:51 am      Reply with quote
YEP, that is my experience with Mineral Makeup. I have discovered after finally quiting Mineral Makeup, that my pores are not as bad that I had thought. I have not been wearing Mineral Makeup for a couple months now, and what a difference. My small imperfections are NOT seen by everyone. Sure I can see them in my 10X mirror, but I have received more comments about how great my skin looks, now that you can not see every pore from it settling. QUIT IT. You will be happier.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:57 am      Reply with quote
I use the flocked sponge to smooth out after applying. I HAVE HUGE PORES! I have used every sponge in town but the flocked sponge is great for smoothing out the MMU and making my application flawless. After I apply my MMU, I spray with a setting spray (use IFP AO mist), wait a minute then dust on some pearl/silk powder, very lightly to set. It works wonders.
Oakview
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:02 am      Reply with quote
Make sure you are using a primer under the mmu. It seems like a number of members like the pearl paste or cream under mineral makeup. I use a home made version (the recipe is posted in the EDS DIY section)and it seems to make a big difference. I stopped wearing mmu for the same reason - large pores-, but I really do prefer it to liquid foundations. Hope you can find something that works for you.
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
Well, today I used the same application method, but tried the Lumiere Luminess version instead. The colour matches better to my skin, but it also didn't show my pores off as much.
I should be getting my Pearl Paste and Pearl Powder from Mary today or monday so I'll try that and see it that helps.
If that doesn't work, I'll try to remember to get an aerosol misting spray to see if that helps

With my acne prone skin, I was hoping MMU would work Sad
I'll update once I try the various combinations Confused
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
divalovesmusic wrote:
I use the flocked sponge to smooth out after applying. I HAVE HUGE PORES! I have used every sponge in town but the flocked sponge is great for smoothing out the MMU and making my application flawless. After I apply my MMU, I spray with a setting spray (use IFP AO mist), wait a minute then dust on some pearl/silk powder, very lightly to set. It works wonders.

oh, and what is the difference between a 'flocked sponge' and the regular sponges I would have from powder foundations?
LilLoco
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
Also please make sure you use very little MMU. I think one of the biggest mistakes I made in the beginning was putting it on too thick -- it showed pores I never knew I had! Only use a little -- you can always add more.
michelle g.
5% products discount

Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
I have always found that if I'm not using the correct shade it will make my pores look huge.

HTH,
Michelle
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
just picked up my mail, and both my everyday mineral samples and Silken Pearl products came today, so tomorrow I'll have to try it again.

michelle g- I'm wondering if this may be the case for me...Although since the Luminesse happens to be a different formulation, i'm not sure if it's the better colour match or the formula itself that is better...

This week (except tuesday- my convocation/graduation!) will be my MMU experiment week for my pores!
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
divalovesmusic , which flocked sponge r u using? Are they the same as wedges? Confused
Ninetynine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
HannaLee

Have you tried the wet method of application in this thread:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=23076

I had good results with this, my pores were much smaller.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
Ninetynine- I did try it today, and it initially it went on well, but due to my overproductive oil glands Sad i ended up looking cakey by mid-afternoon. I got my jar of Mary's silken pearl powder now, so I'll try it again after applying a layer before my makeup tomorrow.
Oh, I tried it using the everyday minerals, haven't tried it with the lumiere samples yet, so I'll see if there is a difference in brands.
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
stardusty-flocked sponges are very smooth and usually a flat oval shape, they are not the same as latex foam wedges. The surface is very soft textured. I got mine from PureLuxeCosmetics but I'm sure if you google them you'll find them just about everywhere.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
nomoreneckpain wrote:
stardusty-flocked sponges are very smooth and usually a flat oval shape, they are not the same as latex foam wedges. The surface is very soft textured. I got mine from PureLuxeCosmetics but I'm sure if you google them you'll find them just about everywhere.

Thanks for letting me know! The cosmetic wedges that I got is from Quo. It says it's non latex and it's rubber? Here's the link if it helps. Do u see any flocked sponges that u described here? Confused

http://www.shoppersdrugmart.ca/english/beauty/products/quo_cosmetics/accessories/cosmetic.html
lilkid13
5% products discount

Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
hey hanna what grade are you in lol? Im graduating grade 8 on wednesday Smile

by the way. Im a guy, would it be bad(by todays standards) to wear make up if i have a zit?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not really in a grade I suppose, hahaha!
I'm graduating from University, so technically grade 17 i guess!

Congrats on your grade 8 grad though!
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:01 am      Reply with quote
stardustdy, Unfortunately no flocked sponges on the link you posted.www.pureluxecosmetics.com-under accessories-$3.00 for 2. You just rinse with mild soap and reuse. I'm sure other mmu co. have them too. Good luck.
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, well I've been trying both the Lumiere and Everyday minerals. I'm not sure whether it's coincidence or not, but the EDM makes my face itchy. At first I thought it was just wisps of hair, but i think I'm getting a slight rash and breakout. Needless to say, EDM is NOT my match!
Lumiere, I'm liking the luminesse, my pores are still visible, but with dishplate pores I can't imagine ever looking baby smooth! I think the fact that it is a better colour match helps, but I'm still getting quite oily. I've now received Mary's Silken Powder, so I'll have to try with this new combination. The Veena Velvet on the other hand is quite matte, but because it's a few shades too light, it looks awful and makes my pores MUCH more apparent.

I'm waiting for Alima to restock their #25 brush, at which point i'll get the brush and add in some of their samples to see if it'll work better for me.

keeping in mind that I have THE oiliest skin (by the end of the day I look as though I've stuck my face in a vat of french fry oil!) For my grad, I used Dr.Brandt's Poreless moisture, Silken Pearl Powder, Makeup Forever's foundation to conceal some/many flaws (the matte one, i forget its name) and then my MAC studiofix. Did a light dust of the silken powder on top, and despite being in an auditorium with no A/C and being out in the sun, I didn't get oily and my makeup didn't get all cakey/ball up! Success! Hopefully I can find the MMU that does the same!

And the search continues...
michelle g.
5% products discount

Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hi HannaLee,

What color did you get in the Luminesse and the Veena Velvet? I have both and have found that the Veena runs about 2 shades lighter than the Luminesse. Depending on how much lighter your V V is you may want to try mixing both of them and see if that gives you a better color while helping to control some of your oiliness.

Just a thought, good luck in the search.....

Michelle
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
I had asked the Lumiere makeup artists to help me choose colours, so I ended up getting light beige in both the luminesse and VV

Do you find the VV better for concealing pores? At this point I'm not sure whether its the off colour or the actual VV itself that is making my pores look like satellites. I'm going to keep trying the Luminess. I didn't get too oily using the Silken Pearl Primer underneath, but I don't find it to provide enough coverage...and I got a bit tanned over the weekend so the luminesse in light beige is also a smidgen light
divalovesmusic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:09 am      Reply with quote
I got my flocked sponge from Everyday Minerals. It is just so smoothing on my MMU. Sorry for the late reply!
michelle g.
5% products discount

Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:22 am      Reply with quote
Hi Hanna,

I would almost bet that the reason your pores look so huge is because of it being too light. The reason that Lumiere VV became my HG is because of the way it covered my satellite Laughing pores better than any brand I had ever tried. It also took me a few tries to find my perfect color, but IMO it was very much worth it.

Good Luck,
Michelle
monarch
5% products discount

Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried liquid MMU. Just put a little on the back of your hand and spread with a brush. It is not as drying. I like JI liquid minerals. Has a lot of good things in it. Smile
cahoot
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
hi i tried 3 different powder MMUs, and all of them made my pores gigantic!

just received Jane Iredale liquid minerals yesterday, and tried it this morning... agree with monarch, it's lovely! it dries rather quickly so you have to be quick when applying but gives a lovely finish! Very Happy i'm ordered some pure luxe liquid minerals as well so will compare when I get it, but I'm done with powder MMU for sure!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:54 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |