Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Blemishes: Who's A Picker?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Poll :: Do you pick at your face?

Yes
91%
 91%  [ 42 ]
No
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 46

Caspers Mum

Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:23 am      Reply with quote
Sometimes, it's just so hard to resist the urge to pick!

I am ashamed to admit: I like poking at my face. Eh?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:33 am      Reply with quote
Oh yes, I'll admit it ... I'm a picker. If I left my face alone it would probably seem pretty clear (only if they looked closer could they see the blackheads that annoy me to no end). BUT ... I can't keep myself from trying to extract every little thing I see, which of course, makes something that wasn't very visible in the first place into this huge mess! Embarassed When will I ever learn! Anyway, my niece was reading an article one time where they said picking at your face is an obsessive compulsive disorder and you know what? At first I was like "yeah, whatever", but when I thought about it .. it did make sense because it's like an obession and once you start, it's hard to stop until you get every last one!
dsq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:47 am      Reply with quote
i usually poke on it rather than pick on it. Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:48 am      Reply with quote
Never once in my life have I picked at a blemish, and I don't have any scars to speak of. I also have never used BP or any other agent that dries them out and leaves scars. Thank goodness I encountered a strong corrective oil early on and it dissolves and heals them FAST. Every time my boyfriend has tried to "pop" a zit on my face, it's become a monster. So I swear by the "kill 'em with antispetic EO theory.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
I totally do even though I shouldn't. I've been learning to just let some things chill on their own and my skin is SO much less scarred/irritated - why is it that we have this picking compulsion, when it clearly makes things worse?

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
yes yes, i know i shouldnt pick my blemishes....but i do and it always leaves it redder and more painful but its so, so, so tempting to just pick it, poke it
i can honestly say that i have always picked my face Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
I used to be a picker but recently I haven't picked and glad I haven't! Smile
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
GUILTY as charged. I do and it is because I always believe if "I just get it now", then it will be gone sooner. Never I said NEVER the case. Most of the time I make them worse and more obvious. I need to throw away my 10X mirror and maybe I will stop picking. But I need the 10X for those damn hairs on my chin. Lord will it ever end.?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
I noticed that the acnes on my cheeks will never heal if I don't pick them. The stuff underneath will stay there for ever. Does anyone have the same problem? Of course, it always leave a scar after I pick them.
Avalange, could you share with us which corrective oil you used? Thank you.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
Mine too. If I don't extract them they will never heal regardless of what I put on it. Especially plugs, if I don't extract them they'll be there forever. But I also don't scar easily and don't have any visible scar to speak of. Just a few rather enlarged pores due to some particularly inflamed acne. But whether I pick at them or not they will leave pigmentation marks that take forever to go away.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
Picker from way back. Yes, and it's all the fault of 10x mag mirror. If I don't look in it I don't see all the imperfections. However, my magnification mirror is permanently on my desk -one look and its pick, pick, pick. Another problem, I'm using Retin-A now and it's making my skin much more vulnerable to the picking so I have to be extra careful.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
htian21 wrote:
I noticed that the acnes on my cheeks will never heal if I don't pick them. The stuff underneath will stay there for ever. Does anyone have the same problem? Of course, it always leave a scar after I pick them.
Avalange, could you share with us which corrective oil you used? Thank you.

Hi htian21!

I use Osea's essential corrective oil. You can check it out atwww.oseaskin.com. It works, no doubt about it. There are similar, less expensive products on the market, like the one from ifeelpretty, but I stick with the tried and true. they last a long while. You can also, I imagine, easily make your own.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
If I see it, I pick it. Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
It makes feel better now knowing that I am one of 95% pickers Smile

I did get scarred from my picking. Now when I have breakouts I try not to look at them in the mirror then I won't pick them.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
iaimei wrote:
Now when I have breakouts I try not to look at them in the mirror then I won't pick them.

but even if you try to avoid looking at yourself in the mirror, when applying your creams and all sorts, it's still going to be there and the urge to pick it will be tempting Wink

because i am like that too, i try not to look too close in the mirror so i wont need touch my blemishes!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
I have finally, after 37 years, stopped picking, and you know what? My skin is finally clear - I realize now that it was all the picking at virtually non-existant things that made my skin so bad for so long. I also stopped touching my face and that has made a huge difference.
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
I pick, but I don't think that my picking makes things any worse that they would be without me touching. I did go through phases when I was very disciplined about not touching my face, and thigs were just as bad, if not worse Sad .

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
I don't get many pimples. When I do, I get great satisfaction to pop that zit. Smile

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
I pick, but much less than I used to. As a teenager, I really made a mess of face quite a few times. Now, when I do pick, I make sure that I've prepared my skin for an extraction before I attempt it.
AmieRae

Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
I pick my blemishes a lot less than I used to as a teen. Now I know which ones are the ones I can get away with touching and which ones are better left alone.
skim
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
I echo the sentiments of those who have to pick b/c if I don't, the zit will never go away or it will return. Sad

I should stop the excessive picking though.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
Guilty as charged. I've been getting them on my neck from working out and I hate them. Now I have marks Sad

Avalange...do you put that OSEA stuff on regularly or on a zit? I wonder if I can put something on my neck before I go to the gym that will provide a barrier for my pore-clogging sweat???

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:37 am      Reply with quote
I have for years. I can definitely see it as some sort of obsessive compulsive issue. The problem now is that the damage I leave lasts on my skin 10x longer than the actual congestion itself.

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
melanie haber
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:07 am      Reply with quote
tsjmom wrote:
I have for years. I can definitely see it as some sort of obsessive compulsive issue. The problem now is that the damage I leave lasts on my skin 10x longer than the actual congestion itself.

One strathegy would be to try to be patient (over several days!)and keep the skin as soft and fully hydrated (and not inflammed), to try to bring the pimple to the surface as much as possible. Recognizing that the absess ityself has already done a little damage, if you see the place where the pus or whatever it is is the most visible and "wanting to leave the kin"), sterlize a super-fine sewing needle really well using peroxide and alocohol, and then make a very small hole at the visible place -- presumably where ther is the minimum of dermis between the pus and the outside world. Some of the stuff should exit in it's own from the pressure (the body is pressing all things in the skin outward anyway). If you very very gently, while pulling the skin outward and open) press to express what more you can, without getting maniacal about it, and then immediately clean it and sterilize it with peroxide, and follow with some sort of antibacterial treatment, you may do a minimum of damage overall, but still will have indulge the urge to "get that poison out of you", which I thing is at the root of the compulsion to squeeze pimples.

I have a terrible compulsion to absent mindedly feel around my face and back for plugged pores and give them a single sort of chiseling scrub move with a fingernail to remove them.
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:24 am      Reply with quote
I'm guilty by far Sad

What's worse is I have the type of skin that ALWAYS scars...but I too have the type of pimples that if they aren't 'expressed' (i love that term, makes it sounds less gross...almost classy, hahaha!) they just stay there. I rarely (knock on wood) get pus-filled pimples...I get zits that when popped 'express' a hard white sebum, like a white head
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:16 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |