Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)
LED light making me sick
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
Anyone else have this problem? I just got a LightStim and it gives me feeling of motion sickness. Headache and nausea. Lasts all day too. I am willing to stick to this if it goes away. Has anyone else experienced this?
Leana
5% products discount

Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
I have only heard that LED treatments can trigger migraines in some users. I would check with your physician or the manufacturer before continuing with the device.
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
I have never experienced anything like that from my lightstim. Did you follow the instruction closly, in terms how long and how often be used? I don't know Confused
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
Some people are photosensitive. You might be one of them. This is a term that applies to more than sunburn and fair skin.

pho·to·sen·si·tive (fō'tō-sĕn'sĭ-tĭv)
http://www.answers.com/topic/photosensitive?cat=health
adj.
Sensitive or responsive to light or other radiant energy.
Medicine. Abnormally sensitive or reactive to light.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's something you build up a tolerance to. I would contact LightStim and tell them your symptoms. You might have to return it.

Are you closing your eyes when you get close to your eyes using the LightStim and / or wearing goggles. If not, maybe this would help.

I don't have a problem with my Quasar SP but bought a Shealy Relaxmate and have had photosensitivity symptoms when I've tried using it so far. I think the fact that the Relaxmate pulses and are glasses you put over your eyes increased my sensitivity to this device versus the Quasar.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
Are you using the goggles that block out the light? Try blocking as much of the light as you can.
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone. I found out that some people are very sensitive to extreme light and the dilation of the pupils to such an extreme. The person I spoke to said some people even get it when they change glasses and it has something to do with the focusing of the eye too. I guess this is why I can feel like day light is tiring and love the evening. I also heard from two different people that many people get sick with those light therapy boxes for SAD conditions. One person was a pharmacist who's wife was a psychiatrist and he said many of her patients had to return them who were using for winter depression. The other was the person at a company called Apollo that has been making these light therapy boxes for years.

I am closing my eyes when the light comes close but I start feeling sick when it is at the bottom of my face right when I start even. I was thinking of wearing the kind of goggles they wear in tanning beds. Too bad though because I would like to get the skin around my eyes with the light. I would also have to keep taking the goggle off to see where I was moving it. For this reason the DPL might be better for me because I can just sit in front. I do think it could be effecting me in the same way that triggers migraines in some people but not as severe.

I emailed the doctor who invented this and still waiting to hear back from him. It is truly a bummer because I was so looking forward to it and I like the feeling of the lightstim.
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:43 am      Reply with quote
mommydearest,

I'm interested so let us know if you hear back from the LightStim inventor.

Now, is there a setting on the Lightstim where you can choose to have the light not pulsate cause maybe it's the pulsation that's causing the headaches (like it can cause seizures in some people - mostly epileptics). Or is the flashing there in all LEDs but not visible to our eyes? Cause I'm wondering if you can turn the pulsing off and that would help and also if the DPL pulses/flashes?

Ah, technology can be complicated

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
nope it does not pules. It really is mysterious. The doc is out of town and won't hear back from him for a while. The tech dept there suggested I send it back because there might be something defective but I doubt it. They have a new one that will be coming out in a few days and I am going to try that one. I might be better off with ultrasound technology and just not able to handle light. I am surprised they have not heard of any other reactions like this. I am just sensitive but I can usually find there are at least a few others like me.
Jackie284
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
mommydearest wrote:
nope it does not pules. It really is mysterious. The doc is out of town and won't hear back from him for a while. The tech dept there suggested I send it back because there might be something defective but I doubt it. They have a new one that will be coming out in a few days and I am going to try that one. I might be better off with ultrasound technology and just not able to handle light. I am surprised they have not heard of any other reactions like this. I am just sensitive but I can usually find there are at least a few others like me.

Hi mommydearest,
I got the sickly feeling when I first got the baby quasar - really weird. I did think maybe it was the pulsing light making me feel ill, but I couldn't be sure. Also, I remember when I posted about this, I'm sure there was a male poster on here who had experienced the same symptoms. I think I just cut down usage for a while, and then started slowly again just using say the right light, then left it a few days longer, and so on. Hopefully the symptoms will pass for you,
Jackie x
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:07 am      Reply with quote
Hi mommydearest,
I got the sickly feeling when I first got the baby quasar - really weird. I did think maybe it was the pulsing light making me feel ill, but I couldn't be sure. Also, I remember when I posted about this, I'm sure there was a male poster on here who had experienced the same symptoms. I think I just cut down usage for a while, and then started slowly again just using say the right light, then left it a few days longer, and so on. Hopefully the symptoms will pass for you,
Jackie x[/quote]

Hi Jackie-

I just had a conversation with Peter and he said that the pulse in the BQ can cause that so you just have to turn that off. But the LightStim does not have pulse. He said that he has indeed heard of some people just not being able to handle the brightness of LED's though. He suggested using the goggles for the whole thing and if that does not work he thinks I should just return it because he did not think I would build up to it. It is just the way I am geared up unfortunately. I have been hunting around for those goggle things but can't fine any. I have not used my LightStim anymore at all because I just don't feel like being sick to my stomach all day. I hope I can find those things.
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:17 am      Reply with quote
mommydearest,

If there are tanning salons in your area, you can probably buy the googles from them. They are easy to find online on Ebay and Amazon as well. Hope the goggles help.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:34 am      Reply with quote
lunarmm wrote:
mommydearest,

If there are tanning salons in your area, you can probably buy the googles from them. They are easy to find online on Ebay and Amazon as well. Hope the goggles help.

There are tons of tanning salons - I did not think they sold them but I guess they would. I have been looking in drug stores but no one has them.

Thanks.
GiraffeView

Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
I'm years late to this discussion, but wanted to say how thankful I am to find someone else who has nausea from light therapy. Mine also did not go away, but lasted all day.

My brother was the only other I had known of with this reaction, until reading here. My sister doesn't have any problem and uses her light regularly in winter.

Yes, other lights bother me. I hate overhead fluorescents or other bare bulbs.
preciousia
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:15 pm      Reply with quote
GiraffeView wrote:
I'm years late to this discussion, but wanted to say how thankful I am to find someone else who has nausea from light therapy. Mine also did not go away, but lasted all day.

My brother was the only other I had known of with this reaction, until reading here. My sister doesn't have any problem and uses her light regularly in winter.

Yes, other lights bother me. I hate overhead fluorescents or other bare bulbs.

i guess everyone is different.
good to know that LED is not suitable for everyone. i do feel dizzy from the LED but i don't use it long enough.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:21 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |