Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

can people with rosacea use abrasion/repair to improve skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
rubicon
5% products discount

Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
i just read about it on the forums here, a reference to someone using an eyebrow brush and copper peptides and emu oil etc.

the concept of irritating the skin and then using good repair methods makes sense. i always thought that if a wound didn't heal properly, you may have to "reopen" the wound and then heal it right.

so can we with rosacea use microdermabrasion and such if we also use powerful repair products?
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
No Rubicon, irritation of any type of skin is not the goal. You should use gentle products and forget about physical scrubs. I've had very good success with Paula's Choice beta hydroxy lotion. There is aspirin type ingredient in the product that will alleviate irritation associated with rosacea as well. This is a very good product. Here is some interesting reading from her website.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/art.asp?ID=380
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Susie. For Rosacea skin you should stay away from microdermabrasion or any form of physical exploitation. One book may interest you - "The skin type solution" by Dr.Leslie Baumann. In her book she gives more advices on how to take care of Rosacea skin. HTH
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
Rubicon,
SusieQ and iamei are right. The goal is not irritation, but mild exfoliation to promote cell turnover. Physical exfoliation will aggravate your rosacea. Depending on how much exfoliation I need, I use Exfol serum or PSF Pumpkin Enzyme Peel.

HTH!

5% products discount

Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
thanks, everyone. but then how are we with rosacea supposed to get the amazing skin remodeling that other people get? i know it's not gonna happen with mild exfoliation.

i've just got some lines to get rid of, and i feel i need something powerful. i was very inspired by Scaliwaggirl's stories on here, so i thought maybe i could do something like that. and i've read of people with rosacea using some retinoids. i figured retinoids, copper peptides (although i thought i read something about CP inducing angiogenesis - not good for rosacea - somewhere), and some healing things and i could remodel my skin.

i guess not? :/

btw, my rosacea is mild. i mostly get a low-level redness (often not very noticeable), and some flushing now and then. i hardly think about my rosace anymore, except with regard to picking gentle products (i know - you all just told me to use gentle products).
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:10 am      Reply with quote
please, rubicon, DON'T consider adopting scally's regimen!
Your rosacea will only get worse. You might want to consider a retinoid product that exfoliates--they tend to be less irritating for some than most other acids. I think I have pre-rosacea skin (telangiectasia, prone to flushing, etc.) and the apeel from perfectcomplexion.net worked beautifully for me--no irritation, but it took an entire layer of skin off, revealing newer, much younger looking skin. BUT you would really have to email with Julie, the owner, in order to figure out a sensical regimen with these products. For example, a user on this forum actually GOT rosacea from using these products. You MUST be careful if you do not want to ruin your skin.

Also, differin is a good option for you, most likely!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
rubicon
5% products discount

Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:58 am      Reply with quote
thank you! i didn't want to copy her regimen, though i may have aspired to some of it or at least the copper peptides (which i'm researching and becoming wary of). i wanted something along those lines, though, so i appreciate the encouragement. i know if i'm careful and pick the *right* products, as you say, i may be able to gently coax my skin into exfoliation and repair (i guess that may be similar enough to the irritation and repair).

and yes, i think glycolic peels years ago accelerated my rosacea. that's when i first noticed flushing. it may have gone into hiding then, til other things triggered it.

avalange wrote:
Your rosacea will only get worse. You might want to consider a retinoid product that exfoliates--they tend to be less irritating for some than most other acids. I think I have pre-rosacea skin (telangiectasia, prone to flushing, etc.) and the apeel from perfectcomplexion.net worked beautifully for me--no irritation, but it took an entire layer of skin off, revealing newer, much younger looking skin. BUT you would really have to email with Julie, the owner, in order to figure out a sensical regimen with these products. For example, a user on this forum actually GOT rosacea from using these products. You MUST be careful if you do not want to ruin your skin.

--avalange
demiro
5% products discount

Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:59 am      Reply with quote
As a rosacean I avoid scrubbing like the plague. But product build-up, sebum, and dead cells are not easy to dispell with normal cleansing after a while, so I was really excited when I read about dermabrasion, thiking that it might not irritate my skin as mechanical scrubbing/peeling does, and do some good on my scars and rough, uneven skin. I used Vichy's microdermabrasion 4-step kit because a) it has a very reasonable price than other kits on the market, and b) it's a pharmaceutical brand.

I went really easy with the 1st step, which is massaging the face with the dermabrasion cream, and though my face was noticeably red afterwards, step 3 has a calming spray which helped with the redness. The follow-up cream that's in the kit (high concentration of vitamin C) didn't irritate me at all, but it wasn't too moisturizing either. The kit has more than enough product for 4 times (4 weeks).
My skin was very soft afterwards, a bit red, but I didn't see any improvement on pore tightening as it was advertised.

Bottomline, microdermabrasion wasn't too bad for my redness and it did gave me a smooth skin surface, but that didn't last after the program (4 weeks) was finished, neither scarrring and large pores improved.

Hope this helps!
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:43 am      Reply with quote
Most of the estheticians and all my docs/derms preach AGAINST heavy scrubbing/aggrvation of rosacea skin. I use IPL's, light peels and the Mia.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:39 am      Reply with quote
I agree with the others definitely do not do any manual exfoliation.

You an try chemical exfoliation, mandelic or salicylic acids.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
I would not advise anyone with rosacea to use peels from perfect complexion since, I am inclined to think that I got broken caps from using her peels (and I only used the mildest).

The only peel that I was able to use without exacerbating the redness is NCN Skincare Pro Pumpkin peel. But I never used it for more than 2 minutes.

avalange wrote:

--avalange
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:03 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |