Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Can I use mineral water spray instead of toner?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:55 pm      Reply with quote
Anyone use it? what's the result? Is it different?
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:59 am      Reply with quote
I tend to use the toner that goes with the cleanser. If the cleanser does not have a toner then I don't use one. The reason I use the toner that matches the cleanser is that usually the toner is designed to remove any traces of the cleanser that you haven't washed off properly and in many cases to correct your skin PH prior to the application of following products.
You could use mineral water but I can't see it being any different to plain water that you used used to remove the cleanser.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:45 am      Reply with quote
I think it depends on why you use a toner. If you use a toner to remove traces of cleanser or makeup, I don't think mineral water will do a good job at that as after all, it's just water. I do use a mineral water spray instead of toner, but only to help my moisturizer spread more easily or absorb more quickly and to freshen up my skin during a hot day out.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:55 am      Reply with quote
I agree. I use both toner and mineral water but for different reasons. If you want to use the toner to remove impurities, the mineral water will not have the same effect.
lovelyjane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
Some Skin types like my oily skin don't even need a toner/mineral water spray. But you want to use mineral water to substitute, then go woth mineral water spray like Avene so you can be sure about its purity.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
It's an intriguing thought, nickieygirl, and one I hadn't considered. Here in the US most water, especially bottled water, has been demineralized. Yet, both here and abroad, a lot of money is spent annually at spas specializing in natural spring waters for their high mineral content--calcium, potassium, iron, etc. for treatment baths and the like.

Yep, I'm intrigued by the possibilities.

Thank you!

Ari

nickieygirl wrote:
Anyone use it? what's the result? Is it different?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
Apply toner helps to bring proper PH to skin after cleansing. Can mineral water do the same thing?
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:49 am      Reply with quote
iaimei wrote:
Apply toner helps to bring proper PH to skin after cleansing. Can mineral water do the same thing?

The toners that do this are either raising or lowering the skin PH because the cleanser has either raised or lowered the skin PH. So these types of toners are matched to their cleanser. As far as I know, water is neutral, even mineral water therefore, it would have no effect on skin PH.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:20 am      Reply with quote
i know some people are allergy to the contents in Toner or due to some other reason, they cant use Toner. and for this grp of people, they will use [Thermal Water] to replace Toner.

was told by the promoter of Avene that some of her regular customers does use their [Thermal Water] as replacement of Toner.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:51 am      Reply with quote
bushy wrote:

The toners that do this are either raising or lowering the skin PH because the cleanser has either raised or lowered the skin PH. So these types of toners are matched to their cleanser. As far as I know, water is neutral, even mineral water therefore, it would have no effect on skin PH.

Since this question came up, and because I really am intrigued, I've been doing some reading on the subject. LOL

So I have to say, "Not exactly". Pure water that has not been exposed to air has a neutral ph of 7.0, as do waters with mineral content well-balanced between acid & base. But water can range anywhere on the ph scale from 1-14 depending on the types and levels of minerals and "impurities" present. For instance, rain water has a ph level of about 5.6 (no wonder our great-great-grandmothers collected it for washing and rinsing their hair) and ocean water has a buffered ph of about 8.2.

So, in order to use a mineral water as a toner, you need to know 2 things--What is the ph of your cleanser? and, What is the ph of the mineral water? Different mineral waters have different ph levels depending on the actual concentration of specific minerals present--water with sulfides present evidently has a lower ph, while water from a source high in limestone or calcite has a higher ph.

I have to, therefore, assume that companies such as Avene coordinate their cleansers and thermal mineral water toners to achieve the rapid return of the skin's proper ph level to maintain the skin's acid mantle.

hth

A

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:02 am      Reply with quote
i do believe that for those regulars @ Avene who used the [Thermal Water] as Toner, actually used the whole set of skincare from the company.

as for myself, i merely used the [Thermal Water] to freshen myself up after gym or just before i touch up my make-up.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:08 am      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
bushy wrote:

Since this question came up, and because I really am intrigued, I've been doing some reading on the subject. LOL

So I have to say, "Not exactly". Pure water that has not been exposed to air has a neutral ph of 7.0, as do waters with mineral content well-balanced between acid & base. But water can range anywhere on the ph scale from 1-14 depending on the types and levels of minerals and "impurities" present. For instance, rain water has a ph level of about 5.6 (no wonder our great-great-grandmothers collected it for washing and rinsing their hair) and ocean water has a buffered ph of about 8.2.

So, in order to use a mineral water as a toner, you need to know 2 things--What is the ph of your cleanser? and, What is the ph of the mineral water? Different mineral waters have different ph levels depending on the actual concentration of specific minerals present--water with sulfides present evidently has a lower ph, while water from a source high in limestone or calcite has a higher ph.

I have to, therefore, assume that companies such as Avene coordinate their cleansers and thermal mineral water toners to achieve the rapid return of the skin's proper ph level to maintain the skin's acid mantle.

hth

A

Very interesting....I guess this is why alot of skincare companies say that it is not enough to just use their foaming make-up remover (like the one from Clarins)and then rinse. A synergistic toner is recommended to bring the skin back into balance. Now it makes sense to me!
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:17 am      Reply with quote
Right! That's why I've always advocated the use of a toner. The acid mantle is your skin's first-line defense against damage from pollutants and bacteria. So, the faster you return it to it's normal ph level, the faster your skin is protected.

The reason I find the use of mineral water intriguing is that you could actually "feed" your skin some very-much-needed minerals like calcium & potassium (depending on the minerals in the water) while "toning" it.

A

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
I am on the line about toner.

i used to think it was necessary to bring the ph of skin down to its normal levels for better product absorption, but i am not sure anymore. If i run out of toner, and don't use it for awhile, i really notice no difference in my skin at all. i do use hydrosols to wet my skin so that creams penetrate better and seal in the moisture.

i also don't think using toner on a cotton pad to rid your skin of leftover cosmetics/dirt is necessary if your cleanser(s) is doing its job.

~K

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="Arielle"]Right! That's why I've always advocated the use of a toner. The acid mantle is your skin's first-line defense against damage from pollutants and bacteria. So, the faster you return it to it's normal ph level, the faster your skin is protected.

The reason I find the use of mineral water intriguing is that you could actually "feed" your skin some very-much-needed minerals like calcium & potassium (depending on the minerals in the water) while "toning" it.

A[/quote]

I have habit of using toner too, mostly for the reason of ph balancing after cleansing and get skin prepared for the next step.

So Arielle, you use both, how do you fit the mineral water in your regime? Do you use after toner?
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, iaimei

Yes, I do use a toner. I haven't tried using mineral water yet since the concept is new (to me) with this thread. lol But I am definitely going to personally explore the possibilities. I'll be happy to let you know what it does for my skin.

A

iaimei wrote:
Arielle wrote:
Right! That's why I've always advocated the use of a toner. The acid mantle is your skin's first-line defense against damage from pollutants and bacteria. So, the faster you return it to it's normal ph level, the faster your skin is protected.

A

I have habit of using toner too, mostly for the reason of ph balancing after cleansing and get skin prepared for the next step.

So Arielle, you use both, how do you fit the mineral water in your regime? Do you use after toner?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
I tried to mix mineral water (Avene spray) with honey for mask. Before I started using C-serum, I spray right before I apply moisturizer that way the water can be locked much like a reservoir.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
Sounds very nice--honey is not only antibacterial, it is a lovely humectant! That's something like I do with Na-PCA from Whole Foods--it draws moisture right to the skin. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
i also don't think using toner on a cotton pad to rid your skin of leftover cosmetics/dirt is necessary if your cleanser(s) is doing its job.

~K

I with you. To me, if you have to use toner on a cotton pad to "remove" remaining product/grime/whatever then the cleanser was a waste of money and not doing its job.

I can see the logic in balancing pH, but I must say I prefer most mists rather than "toners" as such. I always apply a mist/hydrosol/mineral water to my face before applying face cream (helps it spread better, so less drag, and you use less product) and I also do quick spritzes before scrubs and masks.

The "toner" I am using (and loving) at the moment is by Australia's Endota Spa (Collodial Silver and Wild Orange mist)

My favorite mineral water mist is Soin d'eau (by dermophil) and I would recommend it 100% to anyone. It is naturally slightly acidic, low in minerals, but high in silicates, magnesium and trace elements. It is very good for sensitive skins and soothing irritation - worked better that PSF Oxygen serum when my face had a reaction recently to a citrus-based hydrosol (think burning sensation and sunburnt complexion). This stuff took out the heat very quickly and my skin went back to normal much quicker than I expected. It is also extremely soothing to the skin the terrible humid heat we are having now. No heat rashes on my neck yet!!

Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:47 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |