Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)
When should a boy start to shave off his mustache?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
My son is starting to get a little bit of a mustache and he wants to shave it off, but it is really not that obvious to me. It looks like a mustache on some women. It's a little bit of a darker fuzz. I told him not to shave yet as the hair will grow back thicker and he'll end up having to shave every day. When should boys start shaving?
dsq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
i think it's great, it's a lesson every father should teach their son. i think once they hit puberty, it's a good time to teach them to shave.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:36 pm      Reply with quote
I think as soon as it is noticable. My son is 16 and has been shaving for about 2 years. He had peach fuzz for quite a while but then it started to look more like a moustache with darker hairs so we made him shave it off. I have a 17 year old brother who had to start shaving at 12.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:38 am      Reply with quote
If he wants to shave it off let him but make sure he learns how to do it properly. about WHEN and IF depends on things like school policy. Our local school doesn't have a policy on student's facial hair and some lads have quite impressive bumfluff! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
You don't mention his age. But even if he were as young as 10 I would let him shave it if it bothered him.

When my son was young and I was not too sure how to approach the subject, I found a book at the library about how a man should shave his face. Today you could just "google" it and find tons of info.

BTW, it won't grow back thicker until his hormones kick in more.

School's need to but out of things of this nature. Rolling Eyes
John C. Hill
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
Why? Looking at my High School yearbook (Class of 76!) I was 16 at the time of the photo and my moustache was clearly visible. I have NEVER shaved it off to this day! It's a part of my personality like my eye brows or something. Wouldn't think of shaving it off then...or now.

It's an option, especially if it looks good on him. Let him learn to shave everything else!

John

5% products discount

Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
ruk1 wrote:
the hair will grow back thicker and he'll end up having to shave every day.

Many men shave daily, regardless of thickness or length of growth. It's a good habit to get into, much like brushing ones teeth. The act of shaving actually exfoliates the skin. For a majority of men it's the only facial exfoliation they get throughout their lives (and most of them don't even know it!)

The razor blades not only cut the hair, but also brush away a very thin layer of dead skin cells, exposing fresh clean skin to the air. It leaves the face looking refreshed.

It also helps to prevent acne, that terrible menace that haunts most kids at puberty. Since the skin is free of dead skin, pores are clear and the buildup of oil under the skin is minimal. Unfortunately the only proof of this I can present is from personal experience. Through high school I noticed that the boys who regularly shaved (myself included) had almost no facial acne, whereas those who did not shave, or shaved infrequently, would constantly be acne-ridden.

As the "peach-fuzz" is much softer than adult male growth teach him not to go over the same area too many times. Once or twice maximum. Make sure he only shaves in the direction of hair growth and that he doesn't apply too much pressure to the blade, it should just glide along the surface of the skin.
Alexis52
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
I was just discussing this with my 21 yo son yesterday. He was known as "Moustache Boy" in the 5th grade (we didn't know)and it was quite traumatic for him. His dad helped him through his first time shaving, which was like in the middle of 5th grade - very young but he was and is a hairy kid.

Once the moustache was gone, he became every boy's hero in class. The studly kid who was so cool, he HAD to shave in 5th grade.

If your son is asking to shave, I say teach him. You never know if someone is picking on him or he's just self-conscious about it. In either case, it's better to help him through it. Puberty is a tough time.

Lexy
rainbow_listic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:15 pm      Reply with quote
my cousin started shaving his when he was about 15 years old.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:11 am      Reply with quote
I would let him shave if he wants to, regardless of whether or not he needs to. There is no harm in shaving peach fuzz and it won't grow back thicker from shaving.
Jira
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
my brother started shaving his when he was about 14. I think its depend.
stardust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:17 am      Reply with quote
We got my 16 yr old son an electric razor about 2 years ago and his father showed how to use it. He didn't have much then or even now. He just uses it every few days when he feels like it.
skinchat
5% products discount

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
stardust wrote:
We got my 16 yr old son an electric razor about 2 years ago and his father showed how to use it. He didn't have much then or even now. He just uses it every few days when he feels like it.

With regards to electric razors. Unless they're of a high quality by a trusted name brand, I would advise that they be avoided. An electric razor can be a lifetime investment with proper care and maintenance, so I say dish out the few extra bucks for the more accurate and more comfortable shave. Remember to regularly replace the rotary blades or foil, and always use the ones made specifically for your machine. Don't try to save costs by using third-party products. Incompatible hardware doesn't offer as close a shave, it can also damage your product or cause personal injury.

Foil shavers offer a much closer shave, but have difficulty with longer facial hair. For optimal performance they must be used on a daily basis to keep a close shave. The foil should be checked for breaks or deformities EVERY time before use. The foil is very delicate and can break easily. I speak from personal experience that the cuts are very painful and can even lead to scarring. Fortunately I avoided the latter, but even a small rip in the foil was enough to cause a series of painful cuts on my upper lip.

Rotary razors can weed through longer facial hair with no trouble, but growth is noticeable only hours after shaving. I personally perfer these, for the shaving method that I will illustrate below, but the replacement blades are much more expensive than buying a new foil.

For the most comfortable and closest shave I would recommend first using an rotary electric shaver in the shower then immediately following up with a with a manual razor. The shaver will trim the hairs to a length that will prevent the razor from snagging. The steam from the shower as well as the massaging motion of the shaver will exfoliate the skin and further open the pores and expose more of the hair, thus leading to a closer shave when followed up with a manual razor.

The above was recommended to me by my barber. I used to be under the impression that a straight-razor shave is the closest you can get, but even a hot towel on your face doesn't compare to this "professional" shave. Not to mention that it's a lot cheaper!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:37 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |