Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Babor Ampoule Concentrates FP Stop Stress Fluid (2 ml x 7 amps) Sothys Reshaping Cream (200 ml / 6.76 floz) RevitaLash Brow-Perfecting Mini Kit (3 items)
Peeling Badly From Retin A, What's The Best Solution?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
I've recently moved up to a higher strength of Retin A and my skin is covered in peeling skin. My makeup looks terrible at the moment because the peeling skin is making it look so uneven. The skin isn't too sore, I'm more concerned with getting rid of peeling skin as quickly as possible. Is there a way of preventing this from occuring? Please help!
Oakview
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
Have you checked with your dermatologist? When I moved up to 0.1% I didn't use it every day and alternated at night with a good moisturizer. Best, though, to follow your doctor's recommendations.
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, he suggested that I move up to the next level.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
Cut down to alternate night usage or one in three nights until your skin gets used to it, then gradually increase frequency until you can use it every night. I found that Jurlique Calendula cream was useful for the flaking.
Yvetteski
5% products discount

Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
Ask your dermo about OTC 1% hydrocortisone cream which was very effective for the flaking/redness when I was using Retin A. (Stupid Blue Cross won't cover it now even though they paid for Accutane when I was 37 Exclamation I suppose they think that I should be done with acne by my 40s.)

My only caution would be to not use it frequently (not for more than a week and not daily) as it can have adverse effects if you use it too often. After the hydrocortisone dries, I followed it with a heavy, occlusive cream like Eucerin or Aquaphor.

This worked really well for me. I got this tip from one of my former employees who had been a staff scientist at FDA. She was in her 70s and had remarkable skin, but was pretty stingy with advice.
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for those recommendations. Can anyone recommend an exfoliator for removing the peeling skin without irritation please?
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
Jurlique face wash cream or Dr. Hauschka cleansing cream. The DHCC is more suitable for dry skin. Both are non-irritating as there are no scrubbing beads or chemicals (hydroxy acids).
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks. Do they exfoliate or just gently cleanse?
Leigh
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:12 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Camelia,
I highly recommend you use Dermalogica's microfoliant. When I started with Taz I looked just HORRIBLE, but then I discovered this gem. I still use it almost everyday and it takes care of the buildup of flakes instantly. You'll love it, you must get it. HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:14 pm      Reply with quote
Exfoliate. I used the Jurlique one, but others said the DHCC was somewhat similar, but less drying. The Jurlique one has a mixture that contains oats. You make a paste with water or the rose toner, apply on the face and use the "press and roll" technique. Press the paste on the skin and release (produces a suction effect), repeat all over the face. You can vary the time you do it, depending on the condition of your skin. Do a search for the reviews and comments on this and the DHCC. I learned about it on this board.

Dermalogica microfoliant would also be useful, it's like a gentle scrub. Some people have found this to be a bit drying with long term use. Of the 3 products, the DHCC would be the least drying. The Jurlique product is called Face Wash Cream. Don't get it confused with the cleansers. This one comes in a tube.
luvyourskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:09 pm      Reply with quote
Have you thought of just using a rich cleansing lotion or oil. Massaging the oil onto your face and then using a washcloth to help exfoliate has worked for me! Very Happy
Mossa
5% products discount

Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
I use Retin A and am now using Ice Elements 2 Minute Miracle exfoliating gel. It gets rid of my flakies and doesn't irritate my skin. Love it!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
I recommend a microfiber cloth. You control the intensity of it, and it really gets rid of the flakes! NCN carries one and I have read about others on ebay. HTH!
nikkic
5% products discount

Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:57 am      Reply with quote
I use baking soda to exfoliate and it works! I tried so many brands and nothing was as effective. I use it every other day. Plus it's gentle which is what you want. So many were too rough and didn't work well. The baking soda really makes you glow!

Also I use Cetaphil Cream at night. After I found these two things my skin was perfect. No more flakey and peeling skin. Aquaphor was too greasy and didn't work as well for me. ETA- the OCM didn't do much for the flaking and peeling. I still needed to exfoilate and it was a PITA so I just stuck with my regular cleanser.
sweet28
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:06 am      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:
Cut down to alternate night usage or one in three nights until your skin gets used to it, then gradually increase frequency until you can use it every night.

I agree you need to cut down the usage and layer only a very thin layer when you use it. Once your skin gets use to the Retin A then you can gradually begin to increase frequency. This should prevent the bad peeling.
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:57 am      Reply with quote
mash some fresh ripe papaya from the grocery store and apply as a mask. The protein digesting enzymes will "eat" the flakies and your skin will be baby butt smooth....i've also done this with fresh pureed pineapple.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:37 am      Reply with quote
rosyface wrote:
mash some fresh ripe papaya from the grocery store and apply as a mask. The protein digesting enzymes will "eat" the flakies and your skin will be baby butt smooth....i've also done this with fresh pureed pineapple.

Fresh, ripe papaya is sweet and delicious. I'd be too tempted to eat the mask. Laughing
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:53 am      Reply with quote
it wouldn't hurt if some happened to slip into your mouth on the way to your face Laughing Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, thank you so very much for all your replies, I haven't been able to get online for a few days and it was a lovely suprise to see all those helpful replies.

Very, very helpful.
Camelia
sweet28
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
rosyface wrote:
it wouldn't hurt if some happened to slip into your mouth on the way to your face Laughing Laughing

I agree! Laughing Actually, I have an enzyme exfoliator based on papaya enzymes. I got this from the spa and it works really well. I think it is much more mild than manual exfoliation so good for days when I feel my skin is more sensitive.

Camelia, I hope you find some of the comments helpful to you and your skin gets better. Smile
msrubi

Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:32 am      Reply with quote
Definitely cut back on your frequency of usage and use a soft cloth because the Retin A IS peeling and exfolliating. You just want to get the flakes, which are exfolliated skin, off. Microfiber or soft washcloth and a gentle cleanser (Cetaphil)!
I've used Retin A for years and when I moved up to the higher strength I used it every 3rd night and still do. I use it for cystic acne (I am 45 and still have zits) and that regimen works for me. Once you are used to it then you can try every other night. It won't hurt to cut back. And SUNSCREEN!!!!!
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
Camelia wrote:
I've recently moved up to a higher strength of Retin A and my skin is covered in peeling skin. My makeup looks terrible at the moment because the peeling skin is making it look so uneven. The skin isn't too sore, I'm more concerned with getting rid of peeling skin as quickly as possible. Is there a way of preventing this from occuring? Please help!

Hi there Camelia, I just left a 30% glycolic peel on for 20 minutes.It left sensitive areas red. But,no serious damage.I used Emu and HA.The small peelies started and I used the baking soda method for gentle exfoliation,as someone just suggested here.This is the 4th day and I have been applying the Emu,HA,VitC. This seems to be working for me.I also put some SuperCop2 on my acne scars at night.I hope your irritation stops soon.Sounds like you are getting a lot of valuable suggestions.I am far from an expert,and do not suggest that anyone use 30% glycolic unless you have worked up to it.I am learning little by little what works for my skin.
Best of luck
Linda
pumpkinpie
5% products discount

Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
The best is to leave your skin alone when peeling from Vita A creams,you know they are working when you peel.You can use it every third night,and let your face dry for 1 hour before you apply and only use 1 pea size for your entire face.
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you very much for all your replies. How do you get one pea sized amount to spread over your whole face? I must have a supersized face or something, but that amount would only spread over about half of mine.
SylphideNoir
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
I have to agree with OCM for the most gentle exfoliation method.
I use a combination of avocado and grape seed oils and find that the exfoliation and deep cleaning benefits are not in the washing off but in the massage. When I've been in dire need I'll put a movie in and massage the oils in for the entire length of the film. When I remove the oil with a warm, damp cloth my skin is flake free and poreless looking.
I wouldn't recommend doing this every day because it's actually somewhat stripping by removing sebum from the skin. If you do this use a nourishing moisturizer or oil afterwards to heal and prevent more flakes from forming.
HTH!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:02 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sothys Duo Repair Balm + Rebalancing Ampoules (2 items) Juvena Skin Nova SC Cellular Miracle Beauty Mask (75 ml / 2.5 oz) Osea Ocean Lotion (180 ml / 6 floz)