Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

PSF-Sunblock now available!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:35 am      Reply with quote
[quote="iaimei]
I thought the spf 50 is a physical one, or not?[/quote]

No, unfortunately it's not. Apparantly the FDA doesn't recognize purely physical ingredients and in order to get the testing/certification needed too market a sunscreen, chemicals must be included in the formulation.

Link to ingredients, I wasn't able to paste from PSFskincare website.
https://www.psfskincare.com/images/spf50_ing.gif

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
No, unfortunately it's not. Apparantly the FDA doesn't recognize purely physical ingredients and in order to get the testing/certification needed too market a sunscreen, chemicals must be included in the formulation.

I am a bit confused now, do you mean strictly speaking, that a phycial sunscreen should be the ones that contain either titanium dioxide or zinc oxide or both but nothing else? And these ones are hard to comeby because FDA won't approve it?
lotus003
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
Today i have tried sample of PSF SPF50 , it too greasy on my oily skin Crying or Very sad
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:25 am      Reply with quote
iamei, they're not necessarily hard to come by, but only ones with physical blockers and NO chemical blockers are called physical. There are several options, on EDS and elsewhere - check out some of the UVA/UVB threads and you'll get a zillion suggestions! The one I'm most looking forward to trying is the Organic Pharmacy SPF 18 one that another user recently brought to my attention, and I also tried MyChelle recently and loved it. Hope this helps!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:42 am      Reply with quote
iaimei wrote:
athena123 wrote:

I am a bit confused now, do you mean strictly speaking, that a phycial sunscreen should be the ones that contain either titanium dioxide or zinc oxide or both but nothing else? And these ones are hard to comeby because FDA won't approve it?

iamei, this is an quote from Darren when I pm'ed him about physical sunblock...

"The FDA is very particular about what sunscreen formulas they will approve. At the time when we started working on this sunscreen, they did not recognize a purely pysical susncreen if it does not contain chemical susncreen ingredients as well. A company can manufacture & sell a purely physical sunblock, but it cannot bear an SPF number or be advertised as a sunscreen or sunblock. Whether or not their criteria has changed in the past few months, I do not know " - end quote.

Our FDA can be pretty strange, can't they? They'll approve a dangerous drug with nasty side effects but they won't approve of physical sunblocks that have really stood the test of time! Laughing

There are a lot of purely physical sunblocks out there that have a lot of great ingredients I'd love to try, but as soon as I see most of them contain shea butter and cocoa butter, I have to leave off using those on my face. Sigh, I wish suncare companies would realize that SOME people have oily skin and come up with a formula that only contains jojoba, or grapeseed non-pore-clogging oils...

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:18 am      Reply with quote
Athena, I know I've tried at least a few less greasy physical formulas, I can try and keep an eye out and let you know if I recall which ones!

As for that quote, it seems a bit weird, and new - this must be a recent regulation in light of all the PPD discussion, right? Because in the past, purely physical blocks like Clinique Super City Block SPF 25 were always labeled as such.

Sigh, stupid FDA... that's the LAST resource I'll trust as to what's safe and what isn't!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
Can I use it? I'm sensitive skin.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
Depends - some people are sensitive to chemical sunscreens (like me). But I'm happy to send you my sample if you like so you can try it, just PM me if you want.

iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
Athena, I know I've tried at least a few less greasy physical formulas, I can try and keep an eye out and let you know if I recall which ones!

As for that quote, it seems a bit weird, and new - this must be a recent regulation in light of all the PPD discussion, right? Because in the past, purely physical blocks like Clinique Super City Block SPF 25 were always labeled as such.

Sigh, stupid FDA... that's the LAST resource I'll trust as to what's safe and what isn't!

Thanks ginnielizz and athena for addressing my question.

But according to your definition, even Clinique Super City Block cannot be classified as pure physical block since its active ingredients listed on the back of the package contain octinoxate (7.5%) and octisalate (2%) - these are chemical filters right? in addition to zinc oxide (8.8%), titanium dioxide (6.6%).

Could you please let me know what are choices of pure physical sunblock then? I know one brand - "UV naturals" contains nothing but Zinc as the active ingredient. But its not that easily accessible.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hm, they never used to have those ingredients, that's new! But I know they reformulated a couple years ago - I haven't used it since I was in high school.

The physical one I use now is Juice Beauty, but I'm looking for a better one since it only has titanium dioxide and I want zinc oxide too to protect from UVA damage a bit better. I LOVED Mychelle's one I just tried - goes on clear and smooth and smells like vanilla - and all of Dr. Hauschka's and Lavera's are physical and gentle, though they tend to leave a whitish cast so I don't use them. I think DDF Organic Sun Protection SPF 30 is all physical, but it has ingredients I'm sensitive to so I avoid it. And Devita's is all transparent zinc, but hard to find. Burt's Bees has a new chemical-free one, and Alba Botanica and Jason Naturals definitely make a couple options. I can't think of any more off the top of my head, but hopefully this will get you started! PM me if you want more and I'll try to keep a mental list - normally I have one anyway, I'm just sleepy and out of it. Also feel free to check my website in my signature, there may be a couple others that I've forgotten! Smile

iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
In an ideal world, I'd like to find a sunscreen that uses Zinc only. It is gentle enough to use on babies, then should be good enough for me Razz

After read a couple articles on Titanium dioxide , I am having a bit reservations. The gist of what I read is, titanium dioxide could be toxic to skin, especially when and if the particles are made small enough for skin to absorb. Titanium dioxide may aslo proven to cause skin DNA damage , although the reserch is not conclusive yet.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
I've been eyeing Badger's sunblock SPF30. Ingredients:

SPF 30: Active Ingredient: 20.5% Micronized Zinc Oxide Other Ingredients: Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Natural Beeswax, Jojoba Oil, Organic Cocoa Butter, Wild African Shea Butter, Organic CO2 Extract of Seabuckthorn Berry, and Essential Oils of Lavender, Moroccan Blue Tansy, Ylang Ylang, Lime, and Orange.

Everything sounds so lovely but the shea butter and coconut oils would be horrible for my face. If they made it WITHOUT these oils it would be perfect for oily skinned girls!

athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
Hm, they never used to have those ingredients, that's new! But I know they reformulated a couple years ago - I haven't used it since I was in high school.

The physical one I use now is Juice Beauty, but I'm looking for a better one since it only has titanium dioxide and I want zinc oxide too to protect from UVA damage a bit better. I LOVED Mychelle's one I just tried - goes on clear and smooth and smells like vanilla - and all of Dr. Hauschka's and Lavera's are physical and gentle, though they tend to leave a whitish cast so I don't use them. I think DDF Organic Sun Protection SPF 30 is all physical, but it has ingredients I'm sensitive to so I avoid it. And Devita's is all transparent zinc, but hard to find. Burt's Bees has a new chemical-free one, and Alba Botanica and Jason Naturals definitely make a couple options. I can't think of any more off the top of my head, but hopefully this will get you started! PM me if you want more and I'll try to keep a mental list - normally I have one anyway, I'm just sleepy and out of it. Also feel free to check my website in my signature, there may be a couple others that I've forgotten! Smile

I currently use Juice Beauty or at least before I started testing PSF - I've tried Alba, Jason, DDF and they all leave my face either too heavy, oily and Jason's left a white cast that did NOT go away, even after I applied MMU over it.

I hear Ocean Potion is coming out with a physical sunblock only, but it sounds like that'll be better for the rest of me. I've also heard of a product called Mexitan, that uses Titanium and Zinc only but again, additional ingredients like coconut oil are just too rich for me. It's gotten to the point that I'm actually considering trying to make my own, but the only way to really test the SPF is in a lab...

ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
Athena, have you ever considered trying Devita's sun protecting moisturizer? There was a thread on it if you search for Devita, and here's the website:

http://www.devita.net/products/ProductView.mgi2?mgiToken=1PLA8NB4FF2CNP3F&ID=DMSPF

The formula is MUCH lighter than most physical blocks (all clear zinc and no titanium), and I was actually concerned that it sweated right off my face. But it's light and they say it's good for acne-prone skin - it can be hard to track down, but I've been meaning to make a pilgrimage to a somewhat out-of-the-way natural store to get myself some, so PM me if you want me to decant you a bit or grab you a jar. Smile I think it was a tad pricy so no worries if you'd like to try it out first.

athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
Athena, have you ever considered trying Devita's sun protecting moisturizer? There was a thread on it if you search for Devita, and here's the website:

http://www.devita.net/products/ProductView.mgi2?mgiToken=1PLA8NB4FF2CNP3F&ID=DMSPF

The formula is MUCH lighter than most physical blocks (all clear zinc and no titanium), and I was actually concerned that it sweated right off my face. But it's light and they say it's good for acne-prone skin - it can be hard to track down, but I've been meaning to make a pilgrimage to a somewhat out-of-the-way natural store to get myself some, so PM me if you want me to decant you a bit or grab you a jar. Smile I think it was a tad pricy so no worries if you'd like to try it out first.

Tracked down the ingredients for this line, they look pretty nice thanks ginnie! Ingredients: ACTIVE INGREDIENT: MICRONIZED ZINC OXIDE: 14% (TRANSPARENT) INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Purified Water, Aloe Vera Gel, Capric/Caprylic Triglycerides (derived from coconut oil), Stearic Acid, Vegetable Glycerin,Rhatany Extract(natural sunscreen) Hyaluronic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate (from vegetable oil), Soy Lecithin, Vitamin E Acetate, Allantoin, Comfrey Root Extract, Grapeseed Extract.

athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
Just found this interesting link. Seems like a class action lawsuit was filed in 2006 claiming that some manufacturers are being sued for creating a false sense of security.

http://www.sunprotectioncenter.com/Articles.asp?ID=129

This could be what Darren meant when he said that the FDA doesn't recognize minerals as a sunblock and its insistenace that the term "sunscreen" be used instead.

ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:29 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, I think it was Avalange who mentioned something about this in another sunscreen thread - but this is the first concrete reference I've seen, neat! I'm not surprised, honestly - everything I've read or researched about most sunscreens leads me to believe they're not nearly as effective as they claim. Hopefully we'll find a way to make do as best we can!

System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:28 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |