Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Gardasil - HPV Vaccine - what are your thoughts?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
To all the gals on the forum who are young enough to still benefit from this vaccine (I'm nearly disqualified at the ripe old age of 26 Rolling Eyes), or to those who have daughters who might benefit, what are your thoughts on this? I've been looking into the vaccine (called Gardasil in the US, made by Merck) and I talked it over at length with my naturopath, with several friends (both those who have had abnormal paps or HPV and those who haven't), and my boyfriend, since we both have a vested interest in our reproductive health/future together. I was really torn, because I had only heard incredibly positive and scientifically sound-seeming things about this vaccine, and about how it can basically only help, so I was leaning towards getting it (which was what my boyfriend had urged) but my normal reaction about anything like this is to wait a while for the dust to settle - I'm the same way with new chemicals that the FDA approves (no meroxyl for me just yet!) and generally all "new" technology and chemistry, medical and otherwise. My ND's reaction was that while she would normally recommend it to most women, my circumstances (monogamous in a relationship that I don't expect will end, negative for HPV and never any abnormal paps or concerns, etc.) indicated that I didn't really need it, and given that we're both prone to new-vaccine-paranoia she said she was leaning against it in my case (of course, no one gives you a clear YES or NO). Normally I'd just bide my time, but as I'm already 26, I'm at the late end of effectiveness for the thing (I think they say to give it to women aged 12-26).

Then just today, I received an email from a female friend of mine extolling the dangers of the vaccine. I do NOT consider the email to be at all scientific in its approach - it has the feel of many Internet hoaxes - but about half the info they cite is opinionated BS and half seems to be genuinely sound scientific info. There's a group called Judicial Watch that's a public interest law group, and they called out a possible correlation between three deaths and this vaccine being administered:

http://www.judicialwatch.org/printer_6299.shtml

Again, I take ALL this stuff with a grain of salt, but I'm wondering what other young women and/or moms have to say about this. I think I've already decided not to get it, for my own circumstances, simply because of the factors my ND pointed out, but I have lots of friends who are getting it and several had had really scary pap or HPV results and this is very reassuring to them. Most insurance companies are covering it, and of course some groups are trying to make it mandatory. I don't personally believe that ANY vaccine should be mandatory, but that's beside the point. I guess I'm just curious what some of you guys have to say? I can try and post the email I got from my friend if you want, but I'm sure it'll start circulating on Craigslist and your inboxes soon - it's one of THOSE bulletins. But still - a link with possible DEATH isn't something to be taken lightly, even if it first gets called out in hoax form. Anyone care to weigh in, especially those who have gotten the vaccine? I think in theory it's a terrific thing that they're working towards a cure for something that so directly affects women (though HPV DOES sometimes manifest in other non-female-specific cancers, such as throat cancer). Sorry if this is an overly personal topic, please don't feel the need to chime in if you're not comfortable, I just figured this might be a good place for women to discuss it!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
lin23
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:36 am      Reply with quote
Few years ago I've had severe complications and some very difficoult time due to HPV. That time there were rumours already that there is a vaccine in the pipeline and I felt relieved that at least in the future women can avoid those problems I've had.
So if I'd have a teenage daughter now I'd definitely go to vaccination with her. I'm not sure if in your age of 26 it's not too late already - but you should discuss it with your doctor.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:51 am      Reply with quote
This vaccine was developed by an Australian doctor who was also named as the Australian Of The Year for the vaccine. It is safe and here in Aus, all female school children and women aged between 12 and 26 are now vaccinated with it free of charge.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:47 am      Reply with quote
I'm hoping that my oldest who's 16 will be offered it here in the UK. They are already talking about it being available to under 16s in the next year or two so mini-est me should be good. I think it is a wonderful thing!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:25 am      Reply with quote
My sister has had a lot of scares with her smear tests. Knowing what she's been through, plus seeing women succumb to cervical cancer (it can be incredibly fast in young women especially) makes me think the vaccine is an excellent idea.
FrevaKZ
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:01 am      Reply with quote
Ooooh...just recently, my doctor advised me to have this. The trouble is, if I push my mother into driving me to the doctor's office, she'll think I'm in a rush to consumate my relationship Laughing

Now I'm nervous, because I had not thought about its status as a new vaccine, and what complications could arise from rushing into it... Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
Wonder why it can only work up to 26 years of age.
alice~in~wonderland
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think it's only up to age 26 that the vaccine works. If I'm not mistaken, health care (at least in Canada) covers the cost of it if you're a female between those ages. The reasoning behind that is the stereotype that younger women are more promiscuous (my understanding).

My OBGYN spoke to me about this a few months back, as I'm 26 and had abnormal paps a few years back, which resulted in a LEEP. He mentioned that since I'm in a steady relationship and plan to be, I don't need to worry about getting a vaccine, provided I continue to go for my regular checkups. However if I ever "upgrade to a new model" (boyfriend), to come back and he would give me the vaccine given my prior history.

This is something you should speak with your doctor about - as she/he knows you and your medical history and would be able to recommend the most appropriate advice.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:49 am      Reply with quote
It can be used by people older than 26 but is free of charge to those under 26 here is Aus as this is the age group who will benefit the most because they will probably be the most at risk.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:07 am      Reply with quote
The thinking around the 26 years cut off is that after that point most women may have been exposed to it already. In other words they ain't virgins no more. Given the prevalence of the virus, just one sexual encounter can result in infection. If you are a 45 year old virgin and about to embark on a relationship you would have the same protection from the vaccine as if you were 12 years old.

Also exposure and infection does not automatically equate to cervical cancer. Apparently most sexually active women get it at some point and it clears up by itself.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
guapagirl is right. The theory is that by 26, you'll most likely have been exposed or infected with HPV. It's not a big deal, unless you get one of the ones that are bad.

I'm getting the shots right now, just because I've already gone through the whole set of scares and weird pap results and I'd rather not do that again if possible. My family also is kind of susceptible to cancer....better safe than sorry, in my eyes. I haven't had any problems at all, and I have one shot to go.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:27 am      Reply with quote
I'm having my daughter (12) get the shots. Her Pediatrician and an OB/GYN friend of mine feel strongly that it is safe, has good research behind it, and can only be of benefit. In fact, my OB/GYN friend is going to vaccinate her son at her own expense (over $300) - she said it will certainly be available for boys/young men eventually anyway.

Betsy
boski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
First of all, please don't take this as an attack on those who want Guardisil. I believe every person who is competent and of consenting age should be able to get this if they want, but parents should NOT to be forced into getting it for their school age girls.

I personally feel this vaccine has not been tested enough and the long-term consequences are unknown. Remember Vioxx and now Avandia? Both FDA approved drugs which now have been found to have serious side effects. I include this link for those of you who want more information about Guardisil and how it came about. The link is to a report on Guardisil by Dr. Ralph Moss. I've used Dr. Moss's services in my own battle with cancer and I find him to be unbiased, scientific and credible. You have to buy his report though ($10). So, that's the bad part. His 33-page report is thorough, easy to understand, and backed by facts. This information should be widely available and I wish he wasn't charging money, but that's how he makes a living. He is an independent researcher who writes about cancer treatments, both conventional and alternative. His opinions are based on scientific studies and facts. He has written negative opinions on both drugs and alternative treatments alike, so I feel he is very objective in his observations.

I'm afraid most of us are hearing only one side of the story, the one from the pharmaceutical company, Merck, mainly through TV advertising. As you can probably tell, I am very suspect of big Pharma, but I've been dealing with these issues with my cancer and I've come to the conclusion that not all is as rosy as it sounds when it comes to "miracle" drugs. In the end, you need to make your own decisions, but don't jump into it lightly and really research thoroughly, especially if you are doing it for your kids.

http://cancerdecisions.com/030407.html
lin23
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:58 pm      Reply with quote
I find it ridiculous that he sells his report for $10...
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:41 am      Reply with quote
There is quite a lot of hype on the internet regarding Gardasil and many, including Boski, are basing their bias at the pharmaceutical company producing and selling the drug.
This drug was invented by a scientist and immunologist at the University of Queensland who, along with other scientists and graduates developed and tested the final drug over many years. Dr Ian Fraser is not a quack and should be applauded for the number of years he put into the research.
If you are unsure about the drug, make sure you read all the info available and not just the hype.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:32 am      Reply with quote
I agree with you and do not wish to force my opinion on anybody. Just read all the information that is available and make your own decision. I never implied that this drug is unsafe, it may very well be, but be aware of what exactly it protects you from, your chances of getting cancer from the the HPV it protects you from, and how much testing was done on the targeted age group of 11-12 year olds (less than 1200 out of the 20000 women in the 4-year clinical study which the FDA based their approval on were under 16). The report goes into all this and more and it is not hype or speculation, it is fact based with cited notations.

You don't have to buy the report. I will summarize the main points. Gardasil does not prevent all cervical cancers. It protects you from 2 forms of HPV which may turn into cancer and 2 forms which cause genital warts. There are about 20 strains of HPV, most people get HPV and have no symptoms because their immune system kills it by itself (80%). There are several strains of HPV which Gardasil does not claim to prevent and can also cause cancer. HPV is not contagious (it is only sexually transmitted), it is treatable if caught early. It would be more prudent to educate all young people (boys and girls) on abstaining from sex, especially to avoid having multiple partners, and having yearly Pap smears, than to spend the amount of money needed to vaccinate every 6th grade girl every year. No one knows how long the vaccine lasts. You may need a booster after 5 or 10 years. No one knows the long term effects over a big population of people of the age group being targeted. That is my main concern. It may be perfectly safe, but nobody has scientific studies to say that. If you can produce a study, please point me to it.

I was afraid this would happen and I didn't want to start a fight with anybody. So I will cease to post about this after this point.
Dahli
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:01 am      Reply with quote
I've just been shuddering about the whole issue of this really unproven and relatively new (cash grab)vaccine by this drug company. ...Reports out of Australia have now included deaths and though they have not proven the connection, the timing/coincidence? does give me pause.
http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_blog/Three-Girls-Died--Others-Hospitalized--After-HPV-Vaccine-21325.aspx

My sister is not going to subject my niece to this and I'm relieved. It's too soon and I for one appreciate seeing more than one side to any issue posted here so thanks boski. I also relied heavily on Moss when we were fighting the battle and he had a lot of valuable information to add to the mix.
SnowWhite
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:37 am      Reply with quote
I have had the first two shots in the series and was urged to get it by my OBGYN. HPV is one of the most commonly transmitted STDs and you can get it even if you are using a condom. I know that it is not for everyone and I understand why some people might not want to get it yet. However, I think that a lot of what is negatively written has been influenced and encouraged by religious abstinence only groups who see the vaccine as giving girls less reason to abstain from sexual activity. For me, it made sense to get the vaccine.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
It's interesting that you guys think the cutoff age of 26 is because most women past that age will already have been exposed to that - this makes sense, and it's entirely possible that that's true, but that's not at ALL how the drug is marketed in the US. All of the literature says that it's the oldest cutoff age for the virus to actually offer protection against the strains in question - that it's a biology and not just a chronology/exposure thing. I wonder if that isn't a marketing ploy to counteract all the potential backlash in the US - this is already super-controversial to the religious right, etc. Clearly it'll make girls "more promiscuous". Sigh. I just wonder now whether the cutoff age is an arbitrarily imposed, virgin-no-longer number, or if there's actually some medical reason why it wouldn't be as effective in older women. Trouble is, I don't believe there is a single unbiased source out there that could provide that information! But if anyone has any documentation about that, could they post a link? I'd be curious to see what we can dig up.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:19 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |