Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
:: Review :: PSF Sunscreen SPF 50 - Thumbs up! [Long]
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
hk, it just seems like you're taking such a personal interest in it, I figured I'd leave any further research to you; I look forward to a new sunscreen topic regarding any new information you have.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:14 am      Reply with quote
For those who have requested the UVA rating ---SPF-50 version goes out into the 415 nanometer range of the UVA spectrum.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
havana8

Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:01 am      Reply with quote
FYI that EDS just added this and the SPF 30 to the store line up! They are quite modestly priced...

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/pure-skin---psf-n_415.htm
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
good to know havana! Now I can get all my PSF goodies from EDS! And yes, the price is reasonable enough I can use it in the quantity I need without trying to "conserve" it like I would do with the pricier stuff.

I liked the texture of Clarins UV40 best of all facial sunscreens I've tried, but I'm not a rich woman and at $40 for one little old ounce, I just wouldn't feel free to use it on face, neck, chest and arms.

nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:54 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for such a great review. I'm searching for my new sunscreen but I'm not sure to choose SPF30 or 50.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:15 am      Reply with quote
nickieygirl wrote:
Thanks for such a great review. I'm searching for my new sunscreen but I'm not sure to choose SPF30 or 50.

I opted for the 50 because it includes a physical ingredient - (titanium dioxide)

guntz
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:32 am      Reply with quote
I get it today from EDS and will try it. Wink
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:26 am      Reply with quote
Time for review!

Ok, so I have used it for a week and this has been the best sunscreen I have tried so far. It absorbs very well, doesn't make me go white and it has not broken me out at all. I have also been putting in around my area and so far so good.

Two thumbs up here.

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:18 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the update cuppre, glad to know this works well for you! Smile

cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:31 am      Reply with quote
Wish I could edit that bad post. When I spoke of "area" I meant the eye area.

You know athena123 I had a look at the % of the active ingredients and the TiO2 is only 2.6% for my SPF50. *blinks* Does this seem low to you for a physical component? Maybe it is relying on the chemical components for UVA protection as well.

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
h.kitty
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:11 am      Reply with quote
Okay I know that I said that I would not comment in this thread but after seeing the percentage of titanium dioxide in the PSF SPF 50 sunscreen I feel that I have to say something.

cuppre since the titanium dioxide is the only ingredient in this product that might offer adequate protection against the longer wave portion of the UVA spectrum (UVA I) and there is only 2.6% of this ingredient there is no way that I would feel comfortable stating that the product offers adequate UVA protection. It may offer some protection agains the shorter wave UVA rays (UVA II) since it contain oxybenzone. I realize that it is not all about ingredients and that how a sunscreen is formulated makes a difference too but given the active ingredients in this sunscreen and knowing that there is only 2.6% titanium dioxide it is just not possible to get adequate UVA I protection regardless of how well formulated the sunscreen is. (We could even bring back the issue of how much UVA protection titanium dioxide offers depending on whether it is micronized or not but let's not even address that right now.)

I know that in one of the threads that athena123 provided a link to Darren stated the following:

"So the important thing is to make sure that the formula contains a UVA absorber that works in the 320-340nm range of the UVA spectrum, which oxybenzone does. This is the range where most UVA related sun damage occurs in skin."

Essentially he is claiming that all that matters for UVA protection is to make sure that a sunscreen offers adequate UVA II protection and while I do agree that UVA II protection is very important I also feel that UVA I protection is important too. I think the everyone should use a sunscreen that offers adequate protection against not just UVA II but UVA I. Why only protect against part of the UVA specturm when there are sunscreens out there that offer adequate protection against both UVA I and II???

By the way, what does protects up to 415 nm mean? This really states nothing about the UVA protection that this sunscreen offers. It does not matter what wavelenght it offers protection up to. What matters is HOW MUCH protection it offers. While this sunscreen may protect up to 415nm my personal opinion is that it probably does not offer much protection at that wavlength (which is in the visible light range BTW) and that it does not offer enough protection against UVA I radiation.
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:49 am      Reply with quote
h.kitty wrote:
Okay I know that I said that I would not comment in this thread but after seeing the percentage of titanium dioxide in the PSF SPF 50 sunscreen I feel that I have to say something.

cuppre since the titanium dioxide is the only ingredient in this product that might offer adequate protection against the longer wave portion of the UVA spectrum (UVA I) and there is only 2.6% of this ingredient there is no way that I would feel comfortable stating that the product offers adequate UVA protection. It may offer some protection agains the shorter wave UVA rays (UVA II) since it contain oxybenzone. I realize that it is not all about ingredients and that how a sunscreen is formulated makes a difference too but given the active ingredients in this sunscreen and knowing that there is only 2.6% titanium dioxide it is just not possible to get adequate UVA I protection regardless of how well formulated the sunscreen is. (We could even bring back the issue of how much UVA protection titanium dioxide offers depending on whether it is micronized or not but let's not even address that right now.)

I know that in one of the threads that athena123 provided a link to Darren stated the following:

"So the important thing is to make sure that the formula contains a UVA absorber that works in the 320-340nm range of the UVA spectrum, which oxybenzone does. This is the range where most UVA related sun damage occurs in skin."

Essentially he is claiming that all that matters for UVA protection is to make sure that a sunscreen offers adequate UVA II protection and while I do agree that UVA II protection is very important I also feel that UVA I protection is important too. I think the everyone should use a sunscreen that offers adequate protection against not just UVA II but UVA I. Why only protect against part of the UVA specturm when there are sunscreens out there that offer adequate protection against both UVA I and II???

By the way, what does protects up to 415 nm mean? This really states nothing about the UVA protection that this sunscreen offers. It does not matter what wavelenght it offers protection up to. What matters is HOW MUCH protection it offers. While this sunscreen may protect up to 415nm my personal opinion is that it probably does not offer much protection at that wavlength (which is in the visible light range BTW) and that it does not offer enough protection against UVA I radiation.

Read the initial stages of this thread
& bought 2 bottles of PSF's SPF 50, have been using it & really like that it doesn't clog my pores, dries matte & clear, doesn't ball up (a huge gripe I have against every other product I've used) & non oily feel left on skin.

Now, with your last post, I'm inclined to think I should be on the hunt for another product. Any suggestions from your personal experience, that you're happy with? Would really appreciate it.

TIA
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:50 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone have a link to substantiate the amount of titanium dioxide is needed to provide UVA protection? cuppre's query prompted me to look, but I couldn't find anything. Is it the ingredients only or the formulation we should be concerned with?

In the meantime, until I can find a completely physical sunscreen that doesn't have the consistency of motor oil, I'm still loving this product for everything it DOES have rather than focus on what it doesn't.

cheers,

arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:22 am      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
Does anyone have a link to substantiate the amount of titanium dioxide is needed to provide UVA protection? cuppre's query prompted me to look, but I couldn't find anything. Is it the ingredients only or the formulation we should be concerned with?

In the meantime, until I can find a completely physical sunscreen that doesn't have the consistency of motor oil, I'm still loving this product for everything it DOES have rather than focus on what it doesn't.

cheers,

Have you ever looked at DDf's Organic SPF 30, it has both micronized tit. oxide and zinc oxide. It along with SkinMedica's Z-Cote Max Block SPF 30 look interesting. Z-Cote along with meroxyl seem to be the most recent ingredients in sun protection but I,ve only seen the meroxyl in L'Oreal? products and call me biased but am skeptical about products from big commercial lines. They produce so much crap, IMHO.

I think the first communication betw'n us was way back many months ago re our quest for a silicone & 'junk' free sun product and here we are, still talking about it.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:08 am      Reply with quote
arya2 wrote:
athena123 wrote:

cheers,

Have you ever looked at DDf's Organic SPF 30, it has both micronized tit. oxide and zinc oxide. It along with SkinMedica's Z-Cote Max Block SPF 30 look interesting. Z-Cote along with meroxyl seem to be the most recent ingredients in sun protection but I,ve only seen the meroxyl in L'Oreal? products and call me biased but am skeptical about products from big commercial lines. They produce so much crap, IMHO.

I think the first communication betw'n us was way back many months ago re our quest for a silicone & 'junk' free sun product and here we are, still talking about it.

DDF was one of the first ones I tried, got a sample from Sephora so fortunately I didn't have to spend any $$. I liked the ingredients but the formulation was awful! It was too heavy for my face and felt like a thick coat, I hated it but wanted to love it.

I share your skepticism about the big companies like loreal, estee lauder, et al. I've heard too many stories about products that went downhill after being acquired by one of the big guns of the cosmetics industry.

BTW, you have a very good memory! Laughing Yes, how long have we been on this quest for facial sunscreen that doesn't contain all the junk we don't need. Before I tried PSF, I kind of liked Juice Beauty but it still had moisturizers I didn't need. sigh, wish formulators would get it in their heads that oily skinned women use sunblocks too and the last thing we want are rich butters, oils and silicones

bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:58 am      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
For those who have requested the UVA rating ---SPF-50 version goes out into the 415 nanometer range of the UVA spectrum.

In case someone doesn't know how the nanometer range translates, I found this great article (I posted it in the skincare forum) that talks about the nanometer range of the UVA vs UVB:

http://www.bic.com/PDFs/UVAbsorbersXDC.pdf

"UVB has a short wavelength of 290-320nm, and UVA I has a longer wavelength of 340-400nm."
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
DDF was one of the first ones I tried, got a sample from Sephora so fortunately I didn't have to spend any $$. I liked the ingredients but the formulation was awful! It was too heavy for my face and felt like a thick coat, I hated it but wanted to love it. [/quote]

Well, that dismisses DDF for me then & thanks for the heads up on it. I might at some point try SkinMedica's Z-Cote. I say that because I rec'd a sample from NCN of her new I'm Covered Day Lotion with 15% Z-Cote & micronized zinc and I love it. Non-clogging, no balling with me anyway, lovely fragrance but not perfumey, light texture, matte finish. Nanci says that the hassle & expense of having the FDA provide an SPF rating for it is just too much for her so it's not clear what it might be. But she says while on holiday in lots of sun, she only needed one application of this. Apparently, prolonged use of the stronger CPs helps ward off UVA & UVB damage but I`m not there yet.

You might have a look at it on her sitewww.ncnproskincare.com. Am sure you`d like it.

Yeah, my memory is pretty good. Surprises a lot of people at times. Am crap at scientific stuff tho` Laughing
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
athena123:

Guess I proved my point about being crap at scientific stuff - didn`t realize Z-Cote & micronized zinc were one and the same

Laughing Laughing

learn sg new every day...

arya
guntz
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:38 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for sharing. Very Happy
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:12 am      Reply with quote
If this SS is effective up to 415 nm, then it is definitely good for the UVA I waves. Cool!
jumbosstar42
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:24 am      Reply with quote
After reading this lengthy and quite outdated thread, i just want to know... and am actually very confused right now... which is the perfect suncreen that provides protection from all and any known harmful sun rays yet is not oily and sticky after application, since PSF is not the one?
Maggiehgz
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:52 pm      Reply with quote
My PSF skincare kits are on the way, Thank you for sharing.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
jumbosstar42 wrote:
After reading this lengthy and quite outdated thread, i just want to know... and am actually very confused right now... which is the perfect suncreen that provides protection from all and any known harmful sun rays yet is not oily and sticky after application, since PSF is not the one?

Hey jumbostar, hope you're still around. Forgive the loooong delay, but I haven't visited this forum for awhile. Hmmmm.... The perfect sunscreen is the one that works for YOU. Laughing
The perfect sunscreen for ME may not be the best one for you.

As much as I LOVED PSF's sun screen, I wound up switching to NIA24 for a facial sunblock for several reasons. The one thing I could never reconcile with PSF's version was that it wasn't a mineral sunscreen, which is what I really wanted. NIA24 is 100% mineral protection and also includes niaciamide, which helps to repair the skin barrier. I have no evidence that it actually DOES repair the skin barrier, but so far it's been very effective for me. Smile For the rest of me, I use Blue Lizard - the mineral version.

Hope this helps,

Athena!

rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:36 am      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
I wound up switching to NIA24 for a facial sunblock for several reasons. NIA24 is 100% mineral protection and also includes niaciamide, which helps to repair the skin barrier. I have no evidence that it actually DOES repair the skin barrier, but so far it's been very effective for me. Smile For the rest of me, I use Blue Lizard - the mineral version.

Hope this helps,

Athena!

Hi Athena,
Is this the one you use:Nia24 Sun Damage Prevention 100% Mineral Sunscreen SPF30?
Are you happy with it? Does it provide good protection?
Many thanks,
R.
P.S. I just received the PSF SS (SPF 50). I'll see how I like it.

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
edseds2009
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 24, 2009 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
I used one sample of it , but I think SPF 50 is too high for me.
I would rather choose SPF15.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:53 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |