Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

:REVIEW: Honeybee Gardens Waterbased Nail Enamel - RAVE!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:45 am      Reply with quote
I've been buffing my nails and keeping the natural look for the last 5 years, although I ALWAYS keep my toenails polished.

It was time for a change, so I started looking around for less toxic product to put on my nails. My search was short and sweet, ending with Honeybee Gardens water-based nail enamel. http://www.honeybeegardens.com

This polish doesn't contain any of the smelly, toxic ingredients in most nail polishes. One of the most amazing things I didn't notice was the smell. This doesn't smell at all!

I ordered the clear nail polish [it looks white but it dries clear] and dumped some of my own mineral powders in the bottle to create my own custom shade, very cool! Cool

The pros are many and I'll definitely repurchase in the future.
1. non-toxic nail polish, finally!
2. great value
3. ability to mix your own custom colors
4. It goes on smooth and clear to freshly buffed, clean nails.
5. no more smelly nail polish removers, I can use isoproply alcohol to remove the polish
6. Honeybee Gardens even makes a peel off kind of nail polish. After it's on for 1 week, you can just peel it off! [I haven't tried this yet but would be interested in hearing from someone who has]

The cons are a few, but something to keep in mind.

1. takes a little longer to dry, so only apply at night
2. takes a little longer to get the hard, impervious coat than conventional nail polish. I'd plan on letting them dry for at least 6 hours before doing dishes, or anything that may nick the surface. Again, good reason for applying at night.
3. making up your own shades of nail polish can be quite addicting and dangerous to your pocketbook.

Ingredients:
water, water-miscible acrylic, polyurethane formers and thickeners, non-ionic soaps. May contain: ultramarine blue, carmine, mica, iron oxides, and/or titanium dioxide

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:51 am      Reply with quote
THANK YOU for this review, Athena! I've long wanted to try less toxic nail polishes, but I really don't like the peel-off type and I didn't really know there was anything else out there besides Zoya. I'll have to give this a try! Do you know if they sell anything online?

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:58 am      Reply with quote
yep, you can either go to the link above or purchase from Monave Minerals [where I got mine]

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:17 am      Reply with quote
Hehehe, I'm such a dork, I asked you before I'd actually looked at the link, and they clearly sell direct from there. Smile Sorry!

Care to name a couple of your fave colors? I'm probably going to order a couple, but it doesn't hurt to get recommendation! (Or do you just mix your own?)

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
I just subjected my new nail polish to a most rigorous test - applied the polish 3 days ago, the tips were fading just a little bit.

Finished handwashing/waxing my car for the first time in ages; [I usually go to the carwash] I was out of Simple Green and had to resort to my roommate's harsh cleanser. It's way too hot to wear gloves, so I was barehanded Shock Nail polish is a little chipped, so before I go anywhere I'll have to redo them. Given that I no longer have to use harsh nail polish remover, I'll feel a lot better about redoing them more often than I did before.

Regarding shades, I mixed my own from loose minerals purchcased from http://www.monave.com/
They also have vegan lip glazes I've got my eye one as well.

Shades I bought:

Rose #11, a light shimmery silvery pink that looks like it's barely there when I mix it with the nail enamel base.

Bordeax # 86 - a rich, wine colored red that results in a rich pink when mixed with the base. If I want a deeper color, all I have to do is add more loose powder.

HTH!

athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
Update: This stuff is very very bleepin' difficult to remove! I tried removing it with 50% isopropyl alcohol without success. Went to the store and picked up 70% isopropyl alcohol, and the only thing it did was remove the top layers [I used 3 thin layers]. Went back to the store and picked up the 100% acetone I was hoping to avoid Sad and was finally able to remove it.

Visited honeybee's website and apparantly dry nails can contribute to difficulty in removing. The molecules in the waterbased nail polish bond to form a hard surface, so they also recommend you remove nail polish within a week of application.

So I tried it again, after all that nasty acetone! Laughing Brushed my favorite cuticle oil, allowed it to soak in for 30 minutes then applied 2 light coats of polish followed by one light coat of clear. Waited for 3 days rather than a week to remove and still had to resort to the acetone, although I didn't have to use quite the amount of "elbow grease" that I did before.

Soooo, while I found a nail polish that doesn't SMELL like nail polish, I still have to use nasty acetone to remove it. I think I'll definitely try the peel off version next time! Laughing In addition to being easy to remove, the peel off is supposed to dry very quickly in about 5 min. or so.

ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, haha, this was all I needed to deter me, at least for the time being. But, just curious, did you ever try the Honeybee Gardens nail polish remover? I have some of that that I use to remove regular polish, and while I DEFINITELY have to work harder at it, I find that it works okay. Don't know what it contains though - maybe it's just isopropyl and that's why you mentioned that? Sorry if this is redundant/confused!

System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:59 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |