Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lemon juice can be used to make hair color lighter?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
I have fine blond hair and I have never tried to color it with a chemical hair color. I have allergies to many products and I'm not sure if I can use a hair color. I also don't want to burn or make my hair too dry. I just want to make it a little lighter. I read in some forum that lemon juice (1 table spoon) should be added to water (1 litre ), then you have to rinse your hair with it. After you dry hair you have to go under the sun for 1 or more hours to get it lighter.
Is this method really works? How safe it is for a hair in terms of comparing it to a regular hair color method?
Thanks

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:22 am      Reply with quote
I tried the lemon juice trick when I was 13 years old because my mom wouldn't let me color my hair. I was blond to begin with and think I probably thought the results were more noticeable than they actually were-- you see what you want to see when you're 13. I don't remember it messing up my hair at all, but that was also before I was a fanatic about keeping it healthy.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
Lemon juice does work somewhat for this, though I think SnowWhite is right about perception, hahaha. Chamomile tea also works and you can add some of that to your mixture. However, lemon juice can be quite drying and stripping, whereas that's not true for chamomile. So if you're concerned at all about drying out your hair, just use the chamomile.

Not sure if you'd be too sensitive for it, but Lush makes a semi-natural product called Marilyn that contains both lemon and chamomile, but it also has SLS and parabens in it so you might not be too keen. It's meant to be left on while you're in the sun, in the same way you described. I tried it and never noticed massive results, but I think it really varies from person to person - might be worth a shot. HTH!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
Lara1 wrote:
After you dry hair you have to go under the sun for 1 or more hours to get it lighter.

That's not going to be good to your hair, isn't it?
Jira
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
lemon juice? I don't think it works.
Jala
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
I used lemon juice to lighten my hair waaaaaay back when I was 12 y.o. and it most definitely worked. I used straight lemon juice...squeezed into a bowl and combed it through my damp hair after washing. Then I'd just let it dry in the sun. After a couple of weeks, my naturally light brown hair was the most beautiful shade of honey blonde...and it wasn't just my 12 year old imagination Laughing I used the lemon juice while I was on vacation with my family, and when I came home everyone thought I had colored my hair!

ETA: My hair was very healthy back then...that was before I discovered blowdryers and curling irons! I think this could be very drying if your hair is dry to begin with, although a good deep conditioner might help.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:34 am      Reply with quote
Truth be told, the kind of stripping that lemon + sun is going to do won't be "fixed" by a conditioner, though it may help make it feel better. But any damage you do to your hair, which is dead keratin, is going to be pretty much permanent - deep and emollient conditioners will help make it more manageable after the fact, but they won't "fix" it. So definitely be sure you know what you're getting into before you do this! That's why I really recommend trying the chamomile first - it's so much gentler, and if you get results from that, you won't need to bother with the lemon. HTH, good luck either way!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:38 am      Reply with quote
Thank you, everyone, for all your suggestions!
I tried the lemon method for two days. I spend at least two hours each day under the sun. As someone already said, we may see the result that we want, so, I made an experiment, I didn't say to anyone about lightening my hair. I decided to see if people will see the result without me saying what I did.
Actually, I didn't see any results, but my mother and two of my friends (they don't know each other) told me that my hair looks lighter and asked if I colored it.
As for a safety of the lemon juice, it is very drying and I don't think I will do it again any day soon. I want to try the chamomile, but I really not sure if I'm allergic to it. Does chamomile stains the hair or make it lighter without staining it? How long the effect? I wash my hair every day, sometimes even twice a day, will chamomile effect stay put?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:23 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think the chamomile is as "specific" as the lemon - I think if you rinsed your hair with it after every shampoo/conditioner it would help. Being in direct sunlight helps bleach hair anyway, so it would probably increase the chamomile's lightening power, but I'm not sure it makes a huge difference. I think chamomile is gentler in coloring.

The tea itself is very very pale, so I don't think it will stain your hair. As for allergy, it's easy to find out - just brew a cup of chamomile tea and do a patch test by soaking a cotton ball in (cooled!) tea and rubbing it on your skin somewhere hidden. If you don't react, it'll be fine in your hair. Chamomile is actually a very soothing, healing and calming herb, so if anything it should help your skin and scalp!

That's cool that you got independent lightening comments - must've really worked! My blonde hair has been getting darker every year and I miss my natural platinum highlights, so you may have inspired me to starte "blondening" my hair up naturally, too! Thanks and let us know how it works or if you have more questions. Smile

Red Devil
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:19 am      Reply with quote
I have used Sun-In a few times since I've been blonde, just to lighten it up a bit more, and it really works. My hair is almost white now! And, I haven't found Sun-In to be terribly drying, so you might want to give it a go. Smile

American Indian/Irish/African descent, bleach-blonde hair with lowlights, tanned skin, greenish-brown eyes, strong facial features and drastically-improved lips! 28, but people tell me that I look seventeen-ish.
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
I don't think the chamomile is as "specific" as the lemon - I think if you rinsed your hair with it after every shampoo/conditioner it would help. Being in direct sunlight helps bleach hair anyway, so it would probably increase the chamomile's lightening power, but I'm not sure it makes a huge difference. I think chamomile is gentler in coloring.

The tea itself is very very pale, so I don't think it will stain your hair. As for allergy, it's easy to find out - just brew a cup of chamomile tea and do a patch test by soaking a cotton ball in (cooled!) tea and rubbing it on your skin somewhere hidden. If you don't react, it'll be fine in your hair. Chamomile is actually a very soothing, healing and calming herb, so if anything it should help your skin and scalp!

That's cool that you got independent lightening comments - must've really worked! My blonde hair has been getting darker every year and I miss my natural platinum highlights, so you may have inspired me to starte "blondening" my hair up naturally, too! Thanks and let us know how it works or if you have more questions. Smile

Hi Ginnielizz,
thanks for the input! I am trying to find a chamomile flowers... who knew it would be that difficult! I went to two health stores in Montreal today and asked for dried chamomile flowers, at both places they have it, but there is no indication in which place or country the herb was harvested...the sales person just gave me a little bag with a tag hand written that it is a chamomile. I asked where it is from, but she said she doesn't know. It is important for me, because some places are very polluted. My friend is from China and she suggested not to buy herbs that were harvested there. Tomorrow I will check another place...I hope I will find chamomile. I will definitely check first if I'm allergic to it before I apply it to my hair. Until then, I plant to go under the sun (as I did today) and put some water on my hair instead of rinsing with lemon. May be it is my imagination, but I think it is working. I will take a photo every three days under the same light to see if my hair getting lighter.
Let me know if you started "blondening" your hair.
Thanks again
Smile Lara

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:28 pm      Reply with quote
Laral,

Can't you find chamomile tea in Montreal? If you are concerned at quality/origin, look for organic.

You can make a strong infusion/tea to rinse your hair with.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:22 pm      Reply with quote
Lunarmm, did you mean the organic chamomile tea bags that you can buy at the drug store? I bought one, but when I opened the tea bag there were flowers and also leaves.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:30 am      Reply with quote
Yes. What were you expecting when you opened the bags? This should work fine. No need to open the bags. Make a strong brew from the bags for your hair rinse.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:47 am      Reply with quote
lunarmm wrote:
Yes. What were you expecting when you opened the bags? This should work fine. No need to open the bags. Make a strong brew from the bags for your hair rinse.

To color your hair you should use only chamomile flowers, not the leaves. I will look for the other brands of chamomile tea at Costco, they, as my friend said, have only flowers in the tea bag.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:04 am      Reply with quote
Yrs ago I used chamomile powder from the Body Shop.

Bit time consuming and messy but it worked! Turned my light brown (back then it was) blonde. BUT it turned it a yellow blonde Confused I used to put toner in it or a very light ash brown over the top and that did the trick.

Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:35 am      Reply with quote
it never really worked for me, though my hair is a mixture of red, brown, and blonde it just made it smell good

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
Before all the bleaching creams became popular and available we used Hydrogen Peroxide mostly to lighten facial hair and stood in the sun until it dryed. Some people used on the hair also. I never did and I don't know if it can damage your hair.
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:09 am      Reply with quote
Lemon juice will lighten your and also dry it out! It is an acid!
bamboo
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:33 pm      Reply with quote
Oh nooooooooo don't try it at home Sad I'd be worried about disappointing results coming Embarassed
I've heard beer makes hair lighter though, is it true? Anyone?
ChelseaaaHi
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:59 am      Reply with quote
As for Hydrogen Peroxide, I'd think it would
dry ur hair.

I tried chamomile, it made my slightly red tinted
black hair, a brighter brownish-reddish color. Pretty cool results. Smile
yomama606
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:02 am      Reply with quote
Lemon doesn't really work for hair, it works for your skin....to lighten skin discoloration etc.
Urbnengineer
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know if it's still on the market, but John Frieda used to make a highlighting cream that was lemon-based but also had a teensy bit of some kind of peroxide. I have naturally blonde hair, but I'd use this stuff in the winter to add those sunkissed highlights back in. Now I just pay for real highlights, but that stuff did work.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:29 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |