Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
What my derm had to say about sunscreen&acne-prone skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Bunny7475
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:38 am      Reply with quote
I thought some of you might find this interesting. After struggling for YEARS to find a reliable sunscreen that wouldn't play havoc with my extremely acne-peone skin, I decided to pay a visit to the dermatologist to get the low-down. I must have had quite a shine on the day I went to see her. She asked if I was wearing sunscreen, which I was, and she looked at me and said "I wouldn't if I were you". Shock

She then went on to say that in her opinion there are NO sunscreens on the market which will not exacerbate acne. She said that I should get an SPF hat, wear it religiously, and forget about topical sunscreen if I want to get rid of my acne. I have to say she really stressed the importance of a sun barrier, she wasn't in any way saying I didn't need sun protection, only that I wasn't going to get clear skin while wearing sunscreen.

As a side note, she also said that retin-A is still the single best acne/anti-aging product out there and that I should use a beta-hydroxy cleanser (such as one containing SA, which I already do). Do they make SPF 50 hats? Rolling Eyes

Just thought I would share...I'm still really shocked!
BBD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:51 am      Reply with quote
That is shocking, come from a derm.

I just wanted to add that I have major problems with sunscreen breaking me out, and have had great success with Epicuren Zinc Oxide SPF 20. It does leave a white cast, and it doesn't break me out at all. It feels nice on. The downside is that it is $$ and I usually have to order it and pay for shipping. Depending on where you live, it might be easier for you to get at spas and derm offices, there just aren't any here in Massachusetts where I can get it.
qisme615
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:09 am      Reply with quote
Interesting.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:14 am      Reply with quote
Bunny7475 wrote:

She then went on to say that in her opinion there are NO sunscreens on the market which will not exacerbate acne. She said that I should get an SPF hat, wear it religiously, and forget about topical sunscreen if I want to get rid of my acne. I have to say she really stressed the importance of a sun barrier, she wasn't in any way saying I didn't need sun protection, only that I wasn't going to get clear skin while wearing sunscreen.

Think To hear such sweeping, broad statements from a dermatologist is shocking enough that if she were my derm, I'd actually reconsider our doctor/patient relationship. Everyone's skin is different, that's part of the frustration and fun of skincare. What works for one will not work for another; conversely, what DOESN'T work for one WILL work for another. A more accurate statement would have been to the effect that finding sunscreen for the acne prone is much more difficult, rather than impossible.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:39 am      Reply with quote
I think that what your derm said is very confusing, as its in magazines, newspapers, all over media that the way to prevent ageing and sun cancer is to have adequate sunscreen and to avoid the sun at certain hours of the day.

Although most sunscreens I've used havent broken me out, Im willing to experiment as I do think that having something on rather than not aplying any will do more harm.

As much as I like to take advice from the professions and I really want my clear skin back, I dont think I can give up using sunscreens.

What did your derm say about taking those oral sunscreen tablets Confused ?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:39 am      Reply with quote
Bunny7475
I have acne-prone,over 40 skin that has hyper-pigmentation problems(nice, eh?)I am having great success with Guerlain's Perfect White-C SPF 50 Day Cream.This cream feels quite silky going on and disappears into my skin after a few minutes.It is very nice under make-up and does not make me shiny.Best of all it does NOT break me out and treats the dark patches that I already have.It is quite fragranced, but has not bothered my skin at all.I am VERY impressed with this product and will re-purchase.
amaska
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
My dermatologist recommended Elta Gold SPF45 sunscreen to me and I love it! It's cheaper than most cosmetics brand sunscreen and doesn't aggrevate my acne at all. It's the best!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
amaska wrote:
My dermatologist recommended Elta Gold SPF45 sunscreen to me and I love it! It's cheaper than most cosmetics brand sunscreen and doesn't aggrevate my acne at all. It's the best!

I've never heard of this brand. Can you buy it at a pharmacy?
katya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
How about if you wear only foundation and powder with FPS ? Is it not enough protection ? Think

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
Check out shadyladyproducts.com for a huge selection of SPF 50 hats. I bought 2!

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
michelec
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
I can understand what the derm is saying. I went for about 5 days without sunscreen. Just being SICK of the constant clogged pores. And they all but went away! And I've tried TONS of sunscreens. All give me "the bumps".

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
sueqlew wrote:
Bunny7475
I have acne-prone,over 40 skin that has hyper-pigmentation problems(nice, eh?)I am having great success with Guerlain's Perfect White-C SPF 50 Day Cream.This cream feels quite silky going on and disappears into my skin after a few minutes.It is very nice under make-up and does not make me shiny.Best of all it does NOT break me out and treats the dark patches that I already have.It is quite fragranced, but has not bothered my skin at all.I am VERY impressed with this product and will re-purchase.

Hi there. What are the ingredients for this product, sueqlew? I'm wondering what does the brightening aspect, do you know?
TIA!
cahoot
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
do you think using mineral powder sunscreens like colorescience or the peter thomas roth one might be better? or would it also clog pores?
i've been faithfully lathering on sunscreen all this while but i'm also battling acne so if there's a link between the two, i really would be anxious to find alternatives to 'normal' liquid sunscreens.
ajax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Bunny~
I get a catalog from a company called Solumbra.
They have hats,(many styles)shirts,pants,etc that all have SPF. They aren't cheap,but worth (IMO)looking into.
Try google,they should come up~

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
cahoot wrote:
do you think using mineral powder sunscreens like colorescience or the peter thomas roth one might be better? or would it also clog pores?
i've been faithfully lathering on sunscreen all this while but i'm also battling acne so if there's a link between the two, i really would be anxious to find alternatives to 'normal' liquid sunscreens.

I've been using the Peter Thomas Roth powder sunscreen everyday for almost 2 weeks and haven't had a single breakout from it. The first week I wore it on top of liquid foundation and the second week I wore it by itself, just to test both ways.
cahoot
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
thanks Diana P!
feel a huge lemming coming up!!!!
dsq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
the dermatologist is most likely speaking from experience and she hasn't found a sunscreen that is suitable for her patient's with acne. she still stressed about sun barrier so i don't think she is wrong per se, she is just using an alternate method to prevent her patient's from sun damage while helping her patients maintain clear skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:37 am      Reply with quote
I have not used any sunscreen on my face for a good year now. Everything just breaks me out like crazy!!
I do use Silken Pearl line with Zinc (Silken Pearl primer in particular has SPF) + MMU (whit some SPF) and that seems to work for me. I do, however, wear a hat whenever I am doing anything out-door. It's been crazy hot and sunny here in Ontario and my face is still pretty pale and white - no tan at all. So, this combo must be working!
I think you can achieve solid protection from sun damage with the MMU, topicals with Zinc and with the use of Vitamin C serums + physical barrier achieved by wearing a hat! It works for me.

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
janjan
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:40 am      Reply with quote
katya wrote:
How about if you wear only foundation and powder with FPS ? Is it not enough protection ? Think

I'm wondering about this, too. Does anyone know?
Years ago I made an attempt to wear sunscreen, but ended up with my face breaking out. Rather than search for a sunscreen, I have just relied on the whatever is in my makeup and have hoped for the best!
Jouke
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
cahoot wrote:

I used Sunforgettable from Colorescience (in order to reapply some SPF after lunchtime and over my make-up) for five days after each other and it broke me out terribly Sad

I think it's because of the zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, they are famous for causing breakouts! Crying or Very sad

As a moisturizer I have been using Paula's Choice Non-Greasy Essential Sunscreen SPF15, I think it has avebenzone. At least it's a chemical sunscreen, not physical. It feels very comfortable and it doesn't break me out, the disadvantage is that you have to reapply after a couple of hours, even when you stay in the office Confused

By the way: I have oily/ combination skin prone to breakouts, even when using tretinoin in the evening and Benzoyl Peroxide in the morning.
amami aya
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
i dont think ive ever had breakouts caused directly from my sunscreen...? using shiseido, biore (japanese version), and sofina... just be sure to use an oil cleanser or makeup remover to take off at night...
Dahli
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:43 am      Reply with quote
Good for her I say! My doc says the same thing which works out well as I've never used sunscreen either. But it's frustrating as it seems many products have it built in.
ompietubs03
5% products discount

Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried using mineral makeup as a sunscreen? Its got great coverage with the added bonus of having SPF 30 as well> CAmeron Diaz actually credited her skin clearing up due to her switch from suncreen to MMU so give it a try. I personally use Jane Iredale. I think MMU is great for my skin which use to have tiny bumps but which have now disappeared after i stopped using heavy cream foundations.
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
My derm told me the same thing....and i tend to agree. I have been using avene spf 50 and my clogged pores are much better.
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
Embarassed I have to agree sunscreen gives me constant breank-ups, but on the other hand, I dare not give up them coz I got lots of sun spots on my faces already! and those acne scars are getting darker and darker if i dont wear sunscreen!
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |