Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
UK - Where can I buy Ziplock Bags for Airport Security?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:41 am      Reply with quote
As you can probably tell, I'm getting ready for me hols! Laughing

Firstly, I'm totally confused about the size of ziplock bag we need for getting through security. The UK says 20cm x 20cm, yet the Canadian Air Transport Authority (my destination) says 20cm x 17.5cm. I suppose it'd be safer to go for the smaller size, but it is confusing.

Secondly, where in the UK have people managed to find these Ziplock bags, please?
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:15 am      Reply with quote
Hi!
I got them off an Ebay seller - captainbags. Good seller and speedy delivery.

No probs out of UK into USA and back again this April. He has othersizes too but these are what I got.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/25-Airport-Security-resealable-transparent-flight-bag_W0QQitemZ140142268550QQihZ004QQcategoryZ16078QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

HTH's!

Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:58 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for that, Lucia. Loopy also kindly suggested trying the supermarkets (why didn't I think of that! Embarassed ), but I shall use your eBay seller if I'm unable to find anything suitable there.

Well, I've just rung the Canadian flying stuff people and asked about the confusion in being told various size limits for the ziplocks. The chap I spoke with assured me that 20cm x 20cm would be fine. I just hope he's right.

Why is it all so ridiculously complicated? I really don't know how they can tell what you've got in your containers anyway. There could be absolutely anything in there. There are plenty of sensible security measures they could take, but this really doesn't appear to be one of them.

I'm also severely annoyed that we are only now allowed one cabin item and that handbags and anything else have to be placed inside. We seem to be the only country stipulating this. I want to bash some blummin' heads together, I really do.
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
I couldn't find any the right size in the supermarket but then I do live in the sticks!LOL!

I know it's a pain having to stuff your handbag into your main bag. It was much easier on the way home when you could have your handbag and you cabin bag (more room for duty free goodies!LOL!)
Quick tip is to wave your clear bag at them on the way through - they don't seem to stop you to check if you look like you paid attention to the regulations!! Also take a couple of sapre bags with you as the corners of pastic tubes can split the bag (as demonstrated by the poor soul in front of me!).

Where abouts in Canada are you going? I've been to BC twice and absolutely adore it. If I had to emigrate that would be my first choice!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:52 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
As you can probably tell, I'm getting ready for me hols! Laughing

Firstly, I'm totally confused about the size of ziplock bag we need for getting through security. The UK says 20cm x 20cm, yet the Canadian Air Transport Authority (my destination) says 20cm x 17.5cm. I suppose it'd be safer to go for the smaller size, but it is confusing.

Secondly, where in the UK have people managed to find these Ziplock bags, please?

You can get them in any super market, if you can't actually find ziplock you can use any resealable bag. Also check out the website of the company you're flying with for size of ziplock, I don't think they would worry about 2.5cm if you did get one slightly too big.

Also if you're flying from Gatwick they actually hand them out FOC at the airport anyway, maybe other airports do too. There's always people that don't know about the restrictions.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:57 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:

I'm also severely annoyed that we are only now allowed one cabin item and that handbags and anything else have to be placed inside. We seem to be the only country stipulating this. I want to bash some blummin' heads together, I really do.

It is a pain, but you can have your handbag and hand luggage coming back. I have a wheelie case and having to put my handbag inside with all my docs in is a pain in the a*se when you have to keep getting your docs out. Also that plastic bag has to go through the X-ray machine separately, you can't have it inside your hand luggage.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:02 am      Reply with quote
For those who are interested, CVS has little airline approved plastic containers to decant products in, about a buck each. They looked pretty sturdy. If anyone needs help getting these or plastic bags let me know I can CP both!

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:33 am      Reply with quote
Ah, of course! My brain is definitely not working properly at the moment. I hadn't remembered that I'd be able to take my handbag separately on the way home. That's cheered me up a bit!

Lucia - We're going to Ontario, travelling around a bit. Popping to Toronto and Ottawa, but staying out in the countryside most of the time. This will be our 4th trip to Canada. We've already visited BC (adored Vancouver & Tofino on Vancouver Island), Alberta (beautiful scenery), Québec (felt so at home there) and Newfoundland (amazing place, amazing people). I could happily live practically anywhere in Canada, I think. It's my favourite country in the world. I plan on visiting every single province if poss.

Vonstella - That's a really kind offer. Not everyone over here seems to have easy access to these bag thingies. Very Happy
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:29 am      Reply with quote
If you need the little plastic containers you can usually get them in Superdrug or Boots, the airport shops also sell them but it might be a bit too late to leave it til then. Smile
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:37 am      Reply with quote
sarahb wrote:
If you need the little plastic containers you can usually get them in Superdrug or Boots, the airport shops also sell them but it might be a bit too late to leave it til then. Smile

I actually save little tubs/bottles from either small-sized products or samples, then wash them out. I also buy those fab little screw together containers from Muji - great for space-saving, along with a very hand miniature funnel/spatula/pipette set.

Heh heh! I can just imagine me in the airport, madly decanting things with me funnels, looking for all the world like a mad professor. (I even have the wild hair.) Laughing
lifeisbeautiful
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
The Hong Kong Airport supplies free ziplock bags for travellers !! I was very impressed Smile !

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:21 am      Reply with quote
yeah you can get them round the freezer bag section, the size is approximately half an A4 sheet of paper.
Can I ask, does anyone feel safer with all this extra crap going on? Now you can't drop people off outside the terminal..what's to stop someone strapping a bomb to themselves and walking in? Confused ID cards, iris & finger printing when we travel to the US/Canada won't stop a thing, it's just another way to track people/make money/keep you afraid...sorry ramble over with Laughing

You can't take tweezers on a plane but you get proper cutlery & glasses in business/1st class. Go figure Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:47 am      Reply with quote
While I find it very easy to find Ziploc bags in the US supermarkets, I had no idea where to find them in Thailand (just there for 2.5 weeks). However, interestingly enough, they handed out ziploc bags at the airline counter when we checked in. Also at the security checkpoint before getting in to the plane (they got 3 checkpoints going in Thailand), they seemed to have these ziploc bags for you, too, in case you came unprepared. I didn't measure the size, but it was much larger than my little ziploc bag I got. I think it might have been about 20 cm x 17.5 cm (I just looked at the ruler). I wonder if any other country does this, too, i.e. handing out ziploc bags to unprepared travelers. I know in the US, if you didn't bring one yourself, you are quite SOL.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:48 am      Reply with quote
Eve wrote:
yeah you can get them round the freezer bag section, the size is approximately half an A4 sheet of paper.
Can I ask, does anyone feel safer with all this extra crap going on? Now you can't drop people off outside the terminal..what's to stop someone strapping a bomb to themselves and walking in? Confused ID cards, iris & finger printing when we travel to the US/Canada won't stop a thing, it's just another way to track people/make money/keep you afraid...sorry ramble over with Laughing

You can't take tweezers on a plane but you get proper cutlery & glasses in business/1st class. Go figure Very Happy

I have not had any problem with my tweezers in my makeup case, which I carried on board. I wonder if they just figured I didn't look like a terrorist. lol
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
It's all completely random, sadly. Somebody I know got into trouble for carrying one of those paperweights that if you turn upside down, snows! It's considered a liquid and hadn't been put in the ziplock.

I have been told lipstick is a liquid and at other times not! In the past I've had my carboard nail file taken away... All along, somebody I was traveling with went through with a big bottle of water in his bag and it wasn't caught!

It;s only 1 of those ziplock thingys per person. Then, you have to put your laptop in a container on its own when it goes through. sometimes they ask you to turn it on, so be sure to have enough battery.

I hate traveling.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:

I have not had any problem with my tweezers in my makeup case, which I carried on board. I wonder if they just figured I didn't look like a terrorist. lol

You should be asked if you have anything sharp on you, tweezers are one of those items you cannot take onboard.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
Eve wrote:

I agree! They come up with a lot of silly, confusing rules that really don't make any difference to security instead of coming up with some decent sensible ideas.

I think it's also to make us think they're doing something about it, even though what they are doing is ineffectual.
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't managed to find zip lock bags in the UK supermarkets despite searching high and low - then I got some through Ebay but when they turned up they were just the regular seal ones. Lakeland to the rescue.. as usual!
kez
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
I recently travelled from Australia to New Zealand and at both airports they gave out the ziplock bags.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:04 am      Reply with quote
daisylondon wrote:
I haven't managed to find zip lock bags in the UK supermarkets despite searching high and low - then I got some through Ebay but when they turned up they were just the regular seal ones. Lakeland to the rescue.. as usual!

Never thought of Lakeland! These must be the ones: http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/!10918_10917

I did find some (non-zip) seal bags in Morrisons, but they're not very strong.
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:21 am      Reply with quote
I have a box at home so if you only need a few, PM me and I'll post to you. I only have the small ones though.

They used to sell them at my local hardware store (and my friend used to get them at Sainsbury's) but the owner said the people who distributed them in the UK, I think he said it was Viyella had lost the right or something along the lines. No idea where the Lakeland ones are from as they are own branded, they're not as strong as the ones I used to get but they're better than the seal ones!
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:31 am      Reply with quote
I wasnt prepared when I arrived at Security at the airport a couple of weeks ago.. and nor wwre a lot of people.

Fortunately, this is so common, that the iarport had set up a dispensing machine, selling 3 ziplock bags for 50p, right there in security!

Easy!

( Luton airport. Nice there...)
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:06 am      Reply with quote
daisylondon wrote:
I have a box at home so if you only need a few, PM me and I'll post to you. I only have the small ones though.

They used to sell them at my local hardware store (and my friend used to get them at Sainsbury's) but the owner said the people who distributed them in the UK, I think he said it was Viyella had lost the right or something along the lines. No idea where the Lakeland ones are from as they are own branded, they're not as strong as the ones I used to get but they're better than the seal ones!

Aw, thanks, sweetheart, that's really kind of you, but I think I'll buy a box/bag of them. I'll probably be flying a lot more in future so they'll come in handy. I do already have some seal ones that another forum member very kindly sent me, which will do me nicely for my forthcoming hols in the meantime.

Plastic bag manufacturers must be making a fortune out of this!
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:11 am      Reply with quote
I just shoved stuff in an ordinary freezer bag..it's was packed ..you don't know my make-up * spam alert *. It also depends a lot on the airport..Paris was very strict, I thought I was going to miss the flight..DD packed her stuff (I didn't KNOW she had stuff) in a cosmetics bag. Naturally, all was emptied & perused.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:14 am      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
I just shoved stuff in an ordinary freezer bag..it's was packed ..you don't know my make-up * spam alert *. It also depends a lot on the airport..Paris was very strict, I thought I was going to miss the flight..DD packed her stuff (I didn't KNOW she had stuff) in a cosmetics bag. Naturally, all was emptied & perused.

Wow, you're lucky to have gotten your stuff through security. I've heard of people whose items were confiscated simply because they were in a non-resealable bag.

I still think it's all crazy and that there are more sensible, effective ways they could do this. And I'm convinced that the reason we in the UK are the only ones allowed one single piece of hand luggage (handbags, etc to be packed inside) is that the airports want to skimp and not have to hire additional security staff. This is an ideal excuse for them to cut down.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:00 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |