Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Avocado oil getting rid of keratoses (brown spots)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:49 am      Reply with quote
I've been using AO for a long time now first on my lips and then in my OCM. I also use it in food prep. I use the very green cold pressed kind found in several of my area health food stores. Some regular groceries also carry it. Do not use the clear ver refined product it doesn't have all of the good stuff. (and go look at the old thread it had tons of info).
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:40 am      Reply with quote
WHERE can you buy avocado oil??????

nette wrote:
For those of you who are dealing with those raised brown spots (seborrheic keratoses is what the derm called them), like I am, I have stumbled on a really effective treatment. I've had the brown spots around my chest and some on back. They tend to grow with age- we're not talking moles here. The dermatologist has burned them off twice with liquid nitrogen- icky process because they scab up, take forever to fall off... then grow back.

Anyway, I decided to slather myself in avocado oil for a few days because I was hating how thin and wrinkly my skin was looking and decided what the heck, let's see what this does. I have no idea yet if it is helping with wrinkles, too soon to tell I guess. But it is incredible what it's done to those brown spots. The really small ones are almost nonexistent- the bigger ones are smaller and I'm hoping at some point will be gone. And- I'm using old avocado oil, refined, missing the top (how could a top disappear?)so I'm wondering how much better the results would be with unrefined oil. I haven't found it yet here in Seattle- but there must be some. Just to be sure they were helped by the avocado oil and not something else I was doing, I stopped it for a while. They got worse. I started it back up and same thing- the spots are better, some are almost gone.
Now- does anyone have any idea why avocado oil would be able to do this? I'm beginning to wonder what else this stuff can do. I may start slathering it on from head to toe!
Nette
Cadia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
jade-1234 wrote:
WHERE can you buy avocado oil??????

www.gardenofwisdom.com
Rebecca1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="jade-1234"]WHERE can you buy avocado oil??????

My supermarket has it..in the salad oils section!

rebecca

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:18 am      Reply with quote
I see avocado oil in Dr. Hauschka's products also.
msaries1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:03 am      Reply with quote
I just checkedwww.gardenofwisdom.com. Do I want the unrefined or refined? Also, I keep seeing the term "cold-press" with the avocado oil and other things..what exactly is the cold press? Sorry if it's a dumb question..... Embarassed
Cadia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
msaries1 wrote:
I just checkedwww.gardenofwisdom.com. Do I want the unrefined or refined? Also, I keep seeing the term "cold-press" with the avocado oil and other things..what exactly is the cold press? Sorry if it's a dumb question..... Embarassed

You want the cold-pressed unrefined one (she said with authority Very Happy )

To be honest, I've never thought about the pressing process much, but doesn't it just mean that it's pressed without any heating so that the good properties are preserved? hmm
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
That's exactly what it means (she confirmed with authority Laughing). I was confused about this too so I did a bit of research a while back -- expeller pressed means no solvents are used to extract the oil, but cold-pressed is usually better as the temperature can get pretty high with expeller pressed oils. Cold-pressed can't go about 120 F, I think, so that's cool enough to preserve most of the healthy minerals and vitamins in oils.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
michelec
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Ginnieliz, if you get to the point of ordering, definitely let me know and we can do it together. Because that stuff is heavy!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
I will, thanks! I keep meaning to place an order and putting it off -- we'll have to get together, swap Devita, and come up with order tallies. Existential lady wants in on it too I think. Yay for Seattle CPs! Smile

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
I got my avocado oil yesterday. Would I be ok to add a few drops of another oil to make the smell a little more enjoyable?

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
existential lady wrote:
This is absolutely MOST interesting, please do keep us informed about further progress. I would love it if they stayed away.

same here.
Suk Han
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
I ordered the Avocado Oil from GOW Sunday thru their website. But there is no confirmation of the order. I called and email about my order, but till now I still did not hear anything from GOW. Has anyone ordered product from her lately?

Thanks
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
I did. I ordered two samples and there was a notice on the site that they are behind approximately 5 - 7 days. I did not get a confirmation until my order was shipped. Once shipped it arrived quickly. Hope that helps.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, Bluesheart.
msaries1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Cadia! I just ordered my cold-pressed unrefined avocado oil...Can't wait to try it!!
Ambien
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
Is everyone using unrefined coldpress oil full strength? And is there anyway to make it smell better? Thanks!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
Cold-pressed, unrefined avocado oil should NOT have a bad smell at all. In fact, it barely has a scent. It smells very faintly nutty, but as a comparison, it has a much lighter aroma than extra virgin olive oil.

If your avocado oil smells at all strongly, it may be rancid. Someone posted in another thread about her recent order of avocado oil smelling quite strongly and quite badly, and it was rancid.

Since avocado oil is a food, put a drop on your tongue. Unspoiled avocado oil should taste very mildly buttery, and nutty. The taste is milder than that of extra virgin olive oil. If your avocado oil smells or tastes bad, it IS bad, so discard it. Rancid oil won't help, and may harm, your skin.
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
Ambien wrote:
Is everyone using unrefined coldpress oil full strength? And is there anyway to make it smell better? Thanks!

Hi, that was me who received the bad Avocado oil shipment from GoW! It smelled very strong and very bad. What a dissapointment! I had ordered four 2oz. bottles and it was not worth returning them. I am going out of town to a larger city and I will look for some Avocado oil at whole foods or another health store and maybe I will have better luck finding a fresher product!
Ambien
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:51 am      Reply with quote
I see, thanks for clarifying Starlight & MBGirl, its a relief to know! I can just about tolerate Olive Oil smell on skin, so lighter thank that sounds good to me! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
After some of this debate, I gave Mountain Rose Herbs a call just to check in about the avocado oil I received. It's very thick, dark, nearly opaque and extremely viscous. It doesn't have too pungent an odor, but it's definitely stronger than many other oils.

They double-checked the batch and made sure that it was fresh, and they confirmed to me that the unrefined, cold-pressed, organic avocado oil they carry is supposed to be exactly like it is. It's not quite as mild as MBGirl is describing, and not as stinky as Starlight is describing. But since this oil came from Mountain Rose and since many EDSers order from them, I just wanted to let you all know what I found out.

They did confirm as well that they used to carry an avocado oil that was not organic before. They said this was much lighter and more golden in texture. I also believe it may have been a different strain of avocado, since existential lady and I did a custom purchase and she thought the Latin name of the plant had been different before.

Either way, let this serve as a PSA to those now paranoid about oil -- I have no idea what was going on with Garden of Wisdom's batch, and I certainly hope Starlight and any others who may have come into possession of rancid oil have gotten that resolved. But the hardcore, unrefined, cold-pressed, organic stuff I got from Mountain Rose was MUCH different than other more refined avocado oils I've tried, so I wanted to make that clear to all.

For what it's worth, I'm loving my new green avocado oil -- super-duper-moisturizing, and I can tell it has more nutrients than the super-refined golden stuff I was using before. Please feel free to PM me about this if you like, and good luck with your oils!

Ambien
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
Just when I thought all the "smell" business was sorted! hmm

Back to researching I guess.. Neutral

Thanks for the new info tho! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
Well, the type of cold-pressed unrefined avocado oil I use is derived from Haas avocados. There ARE other varieties of avocado, so perhaps that is the reason your AO is a different texture. However, an oil being organic (or not) should have absolutely NO bearing on the texture, viscosity, smell or taste of the oil, IF the oil is unrefined and cold-pressed.

That said, earmarks of rancidity in oils like avocado oil include thickening of the texture, increased odor, strong to foul flavor, and increased incident of debris in the body of the oil. Unspoiled unrefined, cold-pressed avocado oil of ANY variety avocado should not be golden in color...it should be a shade or two darker than the green color of a high-quality olive oil.

The oil that has been so effective for me in skin regeneration has been derived from the Haas avocado, so that is solely what I recommend. I have used refined expeller pressed avocado oil in the past but it was merely moisturizing (albeit wonderfully so), and not regenerating to the skin.
existential lady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
So, MBGirl, where do you get yours? Or did you say and I missed it. Ginnielizz and I got some from Mountain Herbs and it is very green. I haven't opened mine yet, as I still have a little of the old one that I got there which was the gold-colored and did not say organic on it like this avocado green does. Will let you all know what difference, if any, I see.
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
I bought two, 2 ounce bottles of the Avocado oil from GOW. I think because I'm used to different oil blends, the avocado smelled different, not bad or rancid, just different. I felt the same way about Argan oil. For reasons, I can't understand I don't find the avocado or argan oils to be moisturizing to my face. I think I must be alone with this. LOL. I think smells are so subjective that I never pay much attention if someone says "this smells awful" Many people LOVED the smell of the Caudalie Beauty Elixer and I almost gagged twelve hours after application while washing my face.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:41 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |