Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Avocado oil getting rid of keratoses (brown spots)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Cadia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
BluesHeart wrote:
I bought two, 2 ounce bottles of the Avocado oil from GOW. I think because I'm used to different oil blends, the avocado smelled different, not bad or rancid, just different.

I also got mine from GOW and that was pretty much my conclusion too Smile
MBGirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
Really, the easiest way to find out if your avocado oil is rancid is to simply TASTE it!!
MBGirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, I think I did mention a while ago where I bought my avocado oil, but it may have been in the other thread about avocado oil. I buy it at Whole Foods Market, in the salad oils section. It is the Virginlands brand and it comes in an opaque black bottle.

I'm told that not all Whole Foods stores carry this brand, some stores carry the refined, expeller pressed Spectrum brand instead. My suggestion would be to special request Virginlands brand if your closest Whole Foods Market doesn't carry it. Since it is indeed a brand carried by the WFM company, it shouldn't be a huge problem for your local WFM to get some in stock.
Cadia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
MBGirl wrote:
Really, the easiest way to find out if your avocado oil is rancid is to simply TASTE it!!

You might have written it earlier, but I have no clue how it's supposed to taste when it's gone bad. I hate the taste of oils in general and this was no exception... Tasted pretty much just like oil though.
agee
5% products discount

Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
Has anybody used avacado oil for brown spots on the hands? The spots on my hands are not raised, just flat and brownish. Would like to hear if anybody has had success in these type spots lightening with AO.
MBGirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:16 am      Reply with quote
I've been fortunate in that I've never tasted rancid avocado oil before; my avocado oil has always been fresh. However, rancid oil (I've tasted spoiled olive oil) has a metallic, unpleasant tang to it. The more rancid an oil gets, the worse it tastes, to the point of being downright vile. If you'd tasted bad oil, you'd know it! Very Happy

Even if you dislike the flavor of oils, you have in your life consumed plenty of unspoiled oils, in fried foods, snacks, etc. While the taste may not appeal to you, it probably wasn't extremely offensive either. Bad oil tastes offensive. Unspoiled avocado oil barely has a taste, and it is very mildly nutty. To compare, olive oil has a much stronger, more pronounced flavor. The flavor of unspoiled avocado oil is subtle.
Cadia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
MBGirl wrote:
I've been fortunate in that I've never tasted rancid avocado oil before; my avocado oil has always been fresh. However, rancid oil (I've tasted spoiled olive oil) has a metallic, unpleasant tang to it. The more rancid an oil gets, the worse it tastes, to the point of being downright vile. If you'd tasted bad oil, you'd know it! Very Happy

Even if you dislike the flavor of oils, you have in your life consumed plenty of unspoiled oils, in fried foods, snacks, etc. While the taste may not appeal to you, it probably wasn't extremely offensive either. Bad oil tastes offensive. Unspoiled avocado oil barely has a taste, and it is very mildly nutty. To compare, olive oil has a much stronger, more pronounced flavor. The flavor of unspoiled avocado oil is subtle.

Thank you, MBGirl! I sort of guessed I would have known, but being so inexperienced with oils, I just wanted to make sure... Very Happy

Mine is good then Smile
chuck
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
I have been trying to find this post for 2 weeks now ,thank you for posting so it moved up. I went to the US and found this oil and I couldn't remember which one to by refined or unrefined ,I picked the right one !! My old skin love this stuff ,and very good price as it's sold for cooking not cosmetic ,don't tell them or they will charge 100 of $

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
Do you think other oils might work that have the same vitamins? I already have grapeseed, almond, jojoba oil. I don't know if I am going to buy a bottle of avocado oil yet.

I saw on PBS that avocados are good for men to prevent prostate cancer.
chinachatters
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
agee - yes, I use avocado oil fades the freckling, but not by itself. You have to keep the sun off your hands with sunscreen and/or gloves when you're driving or the spots will darken again.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
I've used avocado oil before - from the grocery store - as a body moisturizer. However it always left a slight green tint to my skin. How do you avoid this? Do you have to get the refined stuff that is colorless?
MBGirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:47 am      Reply with quote
The green tint is usually only noticeable when I first apply the AO, and then the oil sinks in and the mild green cast disappears. You can use the golden toned refined AO instead, but it won't be nearly as regenerative to the skin, just moisturizing.
Aimee3
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
I just bought avocado oil today and can't wait to try it. I went to 3 different stores (health food store 1st, regular supermarket 2nd, and Whole Foods 3rd) and they all had the exact same brand "spectum" cold pressed but still refined. The health food store near me was the worst...only like 3 different kinds of oils on the shelf, and way over priced.
Will post results as soon as I see them! Wish me luck!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
[quote]I've used avocado oil before - from the grocery store - as a body moisturizer. However it always left a slight green tint to my skin. How do you avoid this? Do you have to get the refined stuff that is colorless?[/quote]

Put it on after a bath and rub it in completely (not vigorously). I use avocado oil from the salad dressing department in the grocery store, too.
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
Is expeller pressed better than cold pressed?
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:32 am      Reply with quote
Au contraire! Expeller pressed oils are "squeezed" out, but sometimes the expeller operates so fast that it heats the oil up to a pretty high temperature. This can destroy some of the vitamins and nutrients. Cold-pressed oils are also run through a type of expeller, but the temperature is carefully controlled (I believe the oil has to stay under about 110 degrees Farenheit).

I got this info off of some EDS-plugged site -- I think it was Mountain Rose -- so you could always Google around for more info if you're curious. Smile

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:15 am      Reply with quote
MBGirl wrote:
I use cold-pressed unrefined avocado oil (it is deep green colored, not the golden colored refined version) on my face, and I too have large pores and oily skin. I've not had a problem at all. The avocado oil has actually helped keep my skin breakout-free, and it has made my pores much smaller and less noticeable. It also helps heal any break-outs or irritations much faster. As well, my sensitive skin is less ruddy, less red and less inflamed. I love this oil!

Do you use the oil at night or morning?
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:18 am      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
I just bought some and am really exited to try it. I hope everyone will check in with any results/non results.

I massaged my face with this oil last night as I was having a bath, and I must say my skin looks very hydrated and smooth today!

Catski, would you please update us on your results from using the avocado oil to lighten the spots?
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
Question about avocado oil sold at whole foods: It says Cold Extraction and Extra Virgin. Is that the same as Unrefined Cold Pressed?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
ruk1 wrote:
Question about avocado oil sold at whole foods: It says Cold Extraction and Extra Virgin. Is that the same as Unrefined Cold Pressed?

I think so. And it's whole foods- it's unlikely to be otherwise.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
ruk1 wrote:

Thank you. I could not remember the brand but the bottle looks to be dark opaque as MBgirl mentioned in her earlier post. (I just saw it.) I am going to get it. I picked up the wrong one Spectrum brand and will have to exchange it.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
ruk1 wrote:

Just a point of clarification -- cold pressed is a bit different than expeller pressed, and almost any oil you buy in a cooking section is going to be the latter. Cold pressed means that during the (yes, expeller-based) extraction process, the oil is not allowed to heat up past a certain point (generally below 110 degrees F, I think). This means that more of the vitamins and minerals are preserved.

Expeller-pressed oils are often heated to such a high temperature that some of the most beneficial compounds are rendered useless -- at least for most skincare purposes. Sadly, Whole Foods and other grocery stores focus more on culinary oils than cosmetic ones -- thus, most oils you'll find there are expeller-pressed (or even extracted via solvents, yech).

IMO the best place to buy cosmetic oils is Mountain Rose Herbs. They have a fab selection, and many of their oils are cold pressed and organic to boot! Just to give you an idea, the expeller-pressed avocado oil from New Directions Aromatics is pale, pale yellow and runny, whereas the cold-pressed organic avocado oil from Mountain Rose Herbs is a thick, viscous dark green that's nearly opaque. And it contains a LOT more of those good skin-friendly compounds!

Anyway, hope this helps -- I tend to prioritize based on price and what I'll be using the item for. For example, I'm much pickier for facial blends than I am for body or hair blends. (Though to be honest, it takes me so long to get through my oils that I should just start using the good ones for everything!)

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
SusanM

Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:03 am      Reply with quote
nette wrote:
I can't believe I'm just seeing this thread again- weeks of computer disaster after I posted my success with the avocado oil.

Anyway, michelc asked what prompted me to try this for keratoses and the truth is, I didn't really try it for that. I was just trying to use something for aging skin, never figuring it would do anything to my little brown dots. A nice surprise.

Now I want to try it out on my face, which I've been chicken to do. I have big pored, oily skin on my face with lots of redness. A retinol product from neutragena has been plumping up the wrinkles but leaving me ruddier. What a trade-off. I'm tempted to try the a. oil- anyone had bad breakouts with it? I already use it on my hair, and after years of bad box dyes, I think that's what brought my hair back.
Am I brave enough to try it on the face?

nette
I just saw this post and I wanted to ask you if your seborrheic keratoses are all gone now?
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
Avocado oil is one of my top 3 favorite carrier oils/butters out of the almost 20 carrier oils and butters that I've tried.

I noticed a significant improvement in skin hydration, tone, and complexion, both immediately and progressively accumulating over a 8-week period.

I had put avocado oil on one side and shea butter on the other in order to control for other lifestyle factors, and the former had much more of an impact on my skin.

So I definitely love it, too Smile

Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
Avocado oil is one of my top 3 favorite carrier oils/butters out of the almost 20 carrier oils and butters that I've tried.

I noticed a significant improvement in skin hydration, tone, and complexion, both immediately and progressively accumulating over a 8-week period.

I had put avocado oil on one side and shea butter on the other in order to control for other lifestyle factors, and the former had much more of an impact on my skin.

So I definitely love it, too :)

Thank you for answering! Did you have seborrheic keratosis, too? I am trying it on my face, upper arms and also on the SK's. I have tried so many things for the SK's and I was hoping to hear if anyone else had success.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:02 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |