Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

emu or jojoba?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
I'm looking to get a moisturizer for my trip and am now beginning to find more natural products that my skin LOVES (pearl cream and now the Thayer's rosewater/witch hazel toner, even the BB's orange facial cleanser)

After reading countless posts, it seems as though most of you girls are using emu oil or jojoba oil to moisturize. I have acne-prone skin, which is still on the oily side (but MUCH better after starting pearl products Very Happy )...for those who've tried both oils, which would you recommend?

I am semi-leaning towards jojoba since it's plant-based, and I could also use it with some castor oil to try OCM in place of BB's oil cleanser.
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
I think jojoba oil will be better for oily skin for its ability to break down sebum in plugged-up pores.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
iaimei wrote:
I think jojoba oil will be better for oily skin for its ability to break down sebum in plugged-up pores.

I second jojoba for oily, acne prone skin.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks iaimei and Winnie! I'll pick up some jojoba tomorrow!

Edited to remove DIY Business information. Member notified in regard. Thank you
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Hannah, as another oily girl I can't recommend jojoba oil enough. Not only for cleansing and makeup removal, but for light moisturizing. Camellia oil is another option for adding moisture, but it's not quite as versatile as jojoba is.

HTH

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
violent violet
5% products discount

Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:53 am      Reply with quote
Why not try a light oil like Evening Primrose oil that is also very rich on GLA, or grapeseed oil which is high in vitamin E and has a very light texture? Or hazelnut oil which has astringent properties? All of these can be diluted with jojoba oil to keep them from going bad too quickly.
There are tons of different vegetable oils with different properties, so you might want to try some different ones to find out what's best for your skin. Smile
Jira
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:50 am      Reply with quote
raised my hand for jojoba wave
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:27 am      Reply with quote
I have a question for you folks who are all for the jojoba, though - I keep reading that while it's good for loosening skin plugs since it's so similar to sebum, it's also prone to clogging pores because of that. For that reason, I've steered clear of using jojoba on my face since I'm very congestion and breakout-prone.

Do you guys think this is a bad idea? Should I start trying jojoba for facial stuff? I'm so paranoid about making my acne and blackheads WORSE, but if this worked, I'd be on Cloud Nine.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:51 am      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
I have a question for you folks who are all for the jojoba, though - I keep reading that while it's good for loosening skin plugs since it's so similar to sebum, it's also prone to clogging pores because of that. For that reason, I've steered clear of using jojoba on my face since I'm very congestion and breakout-prone.

Do you guys think this is a bad idea? Should I start trying jojoba for facial stuff? I'm so paranoid about making my acne and blackheads WORSE, but if this worked, I'd be on Cloud Nine.

I am VERY prone to clogged pores and have not had a problem at all with the jojoba oil. In fact, my bottle says "ideal for conditioning healthy skin without clogging pores."
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:53 am      Reply with quote
I say jojoba as well....i hate the idea of emu coming from the bird!
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:59 am      Reply with quote
I second Diana and Olivia's take on this. I've been using jojoba oil in my hair for years; not until I heard about the famous OCM method here on EDS did I realize it could be used on my face as well. If I'm getting extra plugs around my nose, I'll rub in some jojoba oil after removing makeup. The similarity between jojoba oil and human sebum is what does the trick.

I've successfully used grapeseed oil on my face as well, but jojoba has worked the best for me.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:06 am      Reply with quote
Wow, I'll have to re-think my jojoba stance! I'm just so paranoid about stuff that might break me out, but I could really use something to help with blackouts. I'll pick some up soon. Thanks for the feedback!

And I, too, am grossed out by fat from a bird. If I'm hesitant about using *lanolin* on my skin, no WAY am I using *emu*.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:27 am      Reply with quote
I vote for jojoba too. I've been hesistant to use it as I'm acne-prone but it has actually helped. I've tried emu and it kind of sits on my face and doesn't do much.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:35 am      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
Wow, I'll have to re-think my jojoba stance! I'm just so paranoid about stuff that might break me out, but I could really use something to help with blackouts. I'll pick some up soon. Thanks for the feedback!

And I, too, am grossed out by fat from a bird. If I'm hesitant about using *lanolin* on my skin, no WAY am I using *emu*.

Yah, while I'm an omniverous kind of gal when it comes to my diet, I draw the line at rubbing animal fat on my face and stay away from using any kind of animal products [except beeswax,silk and pearl] in my skincare. There may be some who break out from jojoba, since there are exceptions to every rule, but jojoba is LEAST likely than anything else to break out you. And if it does, then use it on your hair! Laughing

ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, I can always find a use for emollient oils - especially since I have dry body skin, dry hair, and dryness-prone skin! Grease me up! Laughing

yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
I've never used emu oil but I'm using jojoba oil at the moment...all thanks to qisme as she was the one that got me wanting to try it out in the first place.
I'm having great success with the jojoba oil (I stopped using it for a while then went back to it a week ago). It doesnt clog my pores but I got to say that I tend to use more than I need sometimes cos I cant feel it on my skin AND I pour too much out of the bottle.
After using up my Burt's Bees orange essence facial cleanser, Im hoping to use the jojoba oil as a cleanser as well.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
yeahyeah wrote:
After using up my Burt's Bees orange essence facial cleanser, Im hoping to use the jojoba oil as a cleanser as well.

Ooooh, keep me updated in comparing the two methods! I've been using the BB's and liking it, but am quite interested in OCM too
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
Will do...but it will be a while cos I've still got a full tube of the BB. I used up the samples of BB then got the full tube last week! Then just the other day, I read that jira i think uses 100% jojoba oil to cleanse her face.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't picked up my jojoba yet since the health foods store I went to was out of 1oz and 2oz sizes. I was wondering, what is the shelf life of the oil? If I can't find anything smaller than the 8oz bottle, I might just get it and slather it on everywhere Laughing ! I'm excited to try OCM as I've been having great results using BB's orange essence facial cleanser

Thanks for all the replies ladies! I was really torn since both oils were so highly raved about, but it seems the votes have been unanimous for jojoba! I figure I'll try jojoba before trying others such as rosehip.

Just a question in general, if jojoba is similar to sebum, how does it not cause blackheads itself?
hannahwebbo
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:55 am      Reply with quote
Ive been interested in using jojoba oil aswell as ive heard so many people use it.

Could anyone tell me if i just buy a bottle of jojoba oil or do i need to mix it with something or are you using products with jojoba oil in them.

Sorry to be confused but ive only seen people mention that they use it but no one has really gone into detail

Thanks
Hannah
melanie haber
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:50 am      Reply with quote
athena, have you compared the effects of jojoba and camellia oil on your face?
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:33 am      Reply with quote
hannahwebbo wrote:
Ive been interested in using jojoba oil aswell as ive heard so many people use it.

Could anyone tell me if i just buy a bottle of jojoba oil or do i need to mix it with something or are you using products with jojoba oil in them.

I am using 2 drops of straight expeller pressed jojoba oil bought from a health food store.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:45 am      Reply with quote
HannaLee wrote:
Just a question in general, if jojoba is similar to sebum, how does it not cause blackheads itself?

Hanna, the shelf life of jojoba oil is quite long. I buy the 4 oz. bottles at Trader Joe's [Desert Essence 100% organic] for only $7 USD.

A blackhead forms when a hardened plug of sebum is exposed to air [oxidation]. Jojoba oil "melts" the sebum.

HTH

athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:50 am      Reply with quote
hannahwebbo wrote:

Sorry to be confused but ive only seen people mention that they use it but no one has really gone into detail

Thanks
Hannah

Lot of Hannahs in this thread Laughing - I think you'll get different answers to this one as well...

Some use jojoba oil in the oil cleansing method [OCM] by applying a generous amount to the face and then massaging for 5 minutes, followed by a warm water rinse with a clean washcloth.

I'm too lazy to spend 5 minutes rubbing oil on my face; instead, I use a nickle size amount of jojoba to remove makeup, rinse, then a 75/25 mix of castor and jojoba oils [75% is castor oil] around my nose, since that's where I seem to collect a lot of unwanted oil and clogged pores.

Then I like to follow up with a cleanser because I like that squeaky clean feel.

It took me awhile to come up with something that suits me.

athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:55 am      Reply with quote
melanie haber wrote:
athena, have you compared the effects of jojoba and camellia oil on your face?

Hey mel, I use jojoba oil to clean, then a few drops of camellia oil to add moisture after all other actives have been applied. It also gives my MMU something to adhere to.

Camellia oil is supposed to encourage collagen production; whether it's the camellia oil alone, or JB AlphaDermaCE or a combination of the two, some old acne pits I've been hoping to vanish seem to be slowly filling in.

System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:27 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |