Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I'm Getting Old
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
vegas gal
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
So I'm sitting here at the computer and decide to put on the sirius radio and listen to the 70's station...now I'm getting all teary eyed and nostalgic. Right now they are playing Earth Wind and Fire " Way of the World". I miss those days when life was so much easier. No computers Shock , no cable tv Shock . Just going along finding yourself without info overload...Oh I'm 48. What do you miss?
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
Common sense. Razz

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
vegas gal
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
Now lets all dance to Barry Whites "Can't Get Enough of your Love Baby" Dancing
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
How about some Al Green? Wink

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
I can tell ya what I don't miss,
8 track cassette tapes!! LOL

Life seems to immulate top volume. Noise seems to come at me in every direction. It doesn't help that I live near a Master Jet Base, Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
I suspect everyone waxes nostalgiac "when things were simpler", but I don't think it's EVER simple to be a human being. Every epoch, every era and generation has it's own set of problems.

I'm afraid to confess that I tend to suffer from "generational" superiority complex and think my generation has a better understanding of the differences between freedom and "entitlement". I'm SOOO very glad I'm not a child of this generation.

When I was a kid we grew up watching The Pink Panther, Wonder Woman, The Bionic Woman and Looney Toons. We played outside all day, climbed trees, rode skateboards, built our own bike ramps and actually jumped over our friends laying down on the sidewalk and built our own toboggans out of intertubes to slide down the hill when it snowed. We did all this without worrying about lawsuits or broken bones. It was accepted by us and our parents that yes, you just may get hurt, but get over it will ya? Laughing

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
Common sense. Razz

Laughing touche!

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:

I'm afraid to confess that I tend to suffer from "generational" superiority complex and think my generation has a better understanding of the differences between freedom and "entitlement". I'm SOOO very glad I'm not a child of this generation.

Preach it sister! It really annoys me to see all these teens and young adults walking around with this chip on their (over-privileged) shoulders, expecting EVERYTHING to be done for them--just because. I may be 26 and technically a part of this generation but I at least know the value of hard work, let alone cause and effect. Wink

vegas gal
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
I suspect everyone waxes nostalgiac "when things were simpler", but I don't think it's EVER simple to be a human being. Every epoch, every era and generation has it's own set of problems.

When I was a kid we grew up watching The Pink Panther, Wonder Woman, The Bionic Woman and Looney Toons. We played outside all day, climbed trees, rode skateboards, built our own bike ramps and actually jumped over our friends laying down on the sidewalk and built our own toboggans out of intertubes to slide down the hill when it snowed. We did all this without worrying about lawsuits or broken bones. It was accepted by us and our parents that yes, you just may get hurt, but get over it will ya? Laughing

So true..how I miss those days....My husband and I were just talking about how the music back in the 70's was real music not this crap that's put out now lol. My folks said the same thing about my music. Oh and I was a dirty teenage hippy, a real hippy Very Happy ....I remember arguing about the Vietnam War with my dad ( I wasn't a teen yet) He was ex-navy, boy did I piss him off. Make Love Not War...
hardtohandle

Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
One thing I really miss is being able to go to a restaurant or a doctor's office or a store and not have 17 cell phones go off.
Mine goes off too occasionally but some people just can't seem to function without being on them 24/7
Boy do I sound like an old lady Laughing

And I don't miss 8 track tapes either. Rolling Eyes
Debster1000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
I miss calling up a company and actually talking to a person, not a machine.

I miss 70's music too - Thank goodness for remastered CDs.

I also don't miss those darn 8 tracks.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
Ya, 70's and early 80's rock is truly the best era in rock. And those album covers? Truly outstanding! Laughing

Jala
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
Love music from the 60s & 70s! Today I was in store that was playing Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass over the speakers, and I started tearing up. My father used to play this album when I was little and me & my sisters would dance to it. Aah, memories...

I really miss the water balloon fights we used to have on hot summer days. There was also the garbage bag thing the boys would do Bad Grin They would take one of those big green garbage bags and fill it with water from a garden hose--just enough so it wouldn't burst. Then they would choose which girl was going to get it---chase her down and hold her while they dumped the bag of water over her. This usually resulted in the chosen girl standing in the middle of the street with a soaking wet see-thru shirt and a bunch of 12 y.o. boys gawking wildly

I remember my best friend, who developed very early at about age 10, being very wet that summer Laughing . I, being named a member of the IBTC by the same boys, remained very dry Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
I love taking trips down memory lane as well....playing "Kick the Can" with all the neigborhood kids, riding bikes everywhere, rolling down the huge hill up the street, walking everywhere to meet up with friends...sigh....

Ah, and the music - never duplicated. When my daughter was recently listening to a band called Gym Class Heroes (or something like that) they sampled Supertramp's "Take a Look at My Girlfriend" (not sure if that was the name) so I just kind of started singing it without thinking about it and she says "mom, how do you know the words to this song?" And I'm like, "honey, this song was out when I was a kid and a way better version of it too!"

How come it is that I can't remember what I did yesterday, but if a song comes on in the car that's from "my generation" I just start singing every word???? Where do we store THAT info? The song in particular was Reelin' in the Years by Steely Dan.....and I just cranked the radio and sang my little heart out!!!!

Waaahhh...I'm all verklempt thinking about those lovely days of yore!

Maria Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
Sex...drugs and rock n roll !
Laughing
just kidding
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
Jala, IBTC made me snicker! Laughing

The company I work at is pretty conservative, so we only get an easy listening station in our cafe. Except for early in the morning! Yesterday, we were gettin' down to The Commodores singing "Brick House". I love - from the 70s. I listen to Heatwave alot nowadays, and like Mariav, I roll up the windows, crank it up and sing along!

I miss roller skating rinks. Rolling Eyes

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
Know what i miss? Beside the great music (before Rap) I miss being able to call a company and be able to speak to a living, breathing human being!! It was also nice not having to wait on "hold" for an hour! Yep,those were the good old days in many respects.

What really gets me is that the young generation (except for you, Vonstella) all think that they have to have a job that they ABSOLUTELLY LOVE!!!!!!! and if they don't they'll just quit. Now being perfectly honest, I don't believe there's a whole lot of people out there who REALLY love their jobs! You get a career/job and stick with it because you need to pay the bills! Talk about a sense of entitlement!
lselbach

Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
I miss being able to watch television without drug ads. I'm particularly nostalgic for television without ads for Maxoderm (my 9 year old runs from the room with his hands over his ears!), and condoms. I'm no prude, but whatever happened to the family hour?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
I must say I miss a sense of personal responsibility for one's life and choices, which I'm seeing a deficit of everywhere. When I was young, if you goofed up, got in trouble, got hurt in some stupid way, well, it was probably (most likely) your fault! These days many 'kids' (generally under 25, IMO but often far older in terms of maturity/lack of!) expect things to be given to them, like a sense of entitlement. And expect to be excused, forgiven, glossed over when they exhibit some horrible error in judgment. My own personal in this area rant comes from an experience in the past few days involving my husband's step-granddaughter ... the daughter of his step-daughter... she's 20, has a baby, married to a deadbeat already, sorry to be harsh, but that's the way it is. She doesn't really have a personal relationship with her 'grandpa' but you can bet she calls him for money when she's in a bind. (gee, why doesn't your husband get a job?!?!) Anyway, she crashed her car and thankfully is OK, but calls Grandpa to ask him to get her another one. All right, he's willing, he looks around, checks out cars for a few days, test drives some, and finds an older one (1992 Toyota) in good body shape, runs great, new tires, kept up well mechanically, low mileage ... all the safety stuff a guy would look for. Just when he thinks he's done a good deed, she calls and tells him, well, no thanks, I don't really want that one. I mean, HE'S PREPARED TO BUY HER THE FREAKING CAR and she doesn't think she'd look good driving it.

That kind of thing just makes me cuckoo. Seriously. Better believe it, she's on her own in finding & buying her own car!
Jala
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
I especially cannot stand the Vi*gra commercials Rolling Eyes

nadjazz wrote:
Jala, IBTC made me snicker! Laughing

nadjazz, you're familiar with the IBTC? Perhaps a member at one time?? Eh? Or were you one of the "blessed" ones Laughing

Does anyone else miss being able to ride a rollercoaster without feeling like you've been whiplashed afterward? Or even just the Teacups & Saucers without turning green Confused

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
I remember when stores first started using those scanners and thinking how am I gonna trust those new fangled computers...Now when calling and getting that automated person saying "Ok, I think I can help you, let me ask you a few questions first" Noooo I want a real person and I just keep hitting the 0 button. I want to live in Pleasantvill (sp), where no one knows what is beyond Main St Very Happy .
Shylass
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
I know what you mean about this generation. I'm 27, and even I'm disgusted! Even my husband is scratching his head and wondering what happened. My grandparents were brought up during the depression and had a big influence on me. I can't believe the things that I see on television half of the time. Now a days, you can be famous for nothing more than being rich, idle, and slutty. Whatever happened to young girls being expected to be LADIES when they grew up? What happened to wearing descent clothes instead of showing EVERYTHING?

My brother went to live with his father after the divorce, and didn't send as much as a Mother's Day card in years. After he turned 18, he called my mother expecting her to mortgage her house to buy him a truck because he wanted one. He then called me and told me that he wanted to live with me. From what I understand, he had no plans for schooling or a job. He just expected me to take care of him! Can you believe that? I promptly told him where he could shove that idea and not to bother our mother either.

This is what my generation has become. It's sad, but true. I guess what I miss most is people not being as selfish. I miss the days when kids were expected to get summer jobs to buy their first used car. And most of all, I miss when we were supposed to respect and value our elders.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
I miss the feeling of security.
Everyday we see violence.
Who ever thought school shootings,911,Rapists and Pedophiles being released from jail would become so normal.
They say we can change the world.
Linda
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:11 am      Reply with quote
I miss the music as well,esp. 80's.
ALso, we used to play outside with our friends all day, from morning till night, (no video games, maybe the occasional Atari , lol!)
No cell phones or texting as well.
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
Gosh you guys have said just about everything I was thinking and/or feeling!!! One more thing I need to add that I miss:

Riding my bike everywhere, that is until I could drive. Smile

And I never worried about someone stealing my bike either!!

Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:59 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |