Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Makeup that won't make scars look worse?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Amberamber
5% products discount

Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
Can anyone recommend a foundation or powder that 1) won't make my EXTREMELY sensitive, acne-prone skin break out, and 2) won't make my rolling acne scars look terrible in fluorescent light? I've tried Jane Iredale pressed powder and although it doesn't make me break out and I look good in normal light, my God, put me in fluorescent light and every scar is highlighted to a horrifying degree. (I found this out sitting in the hairstylist's chair, and never wore it again. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, and kept looking back and forth from her face to mine to confirm that it was the makeup and not just the lighting.) Thanks for any help you can offer!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
Amber you poor dear, I feel your pain! Actually, IMO the first step is to start getting rid of those scars, then you won't need to cover them. I have had amazing success using the Naturderm line of products. Check out this thread for my before and after pictures, as well as to find out more details about my routine:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=25092&start=0

Honestly, when I started using the Naturderm products I saw serious results in just a week, so I hope they can help you too! However, since some of your deeper scars may take some time to fade, the next step is finding a good foundation that won't break you out. I wear Alima and I find it works really well and gives a really natural finish. Alima offers so many shades that it's easy to get a good match and cover your scars more naturally. However, to really make your scars disappear I would recommend following whatever foundation you use with Alima's concealer on your scars. Alima's concealer has never caused clogged pores and actually helps my blemishes heal more quickly, and the coverage is really great. Just dab it on with a little brush and then blend! HTH--- please keep us updated!

5% products discount

Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Liz. My scars are much worse than yours after years of cystic acne--I actually should have laser resurfacing but so far I'm too chicken. I will definitely look into the Alima.

Do you mind if I ask--I read in one of your posts somewhere that you were put on anti-androgen drugs at one point. Was this spironolactone?
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
Amberamber wrote:
Thanks, Liz. My scars are much worse than yours after years of cystic acne--I actually should have laser resurfacing but so far I'm too chicken. I will definitely look into the Alima.

Do you mind if I ask--I read in one of your posts somewhere that you were put on anti-androgen drugs at one point. Was this spironolactone?

I hope you like the Alima, Amber! Even if your scars are worse than mine (although it's hard to imagine--- before I got on prescription meds my scars were even WORSE than in that before pic! Shock ), I think that the Naturderm line, esp. the CHrysalyx and EpidermxII could be of some help to you, so you might consider trying them before taking the plunge for laser resurfacing.

And yes, I'm on spironolactone/aldactone-- you have a good memory! Are you on this too? I have mixed feelings about this stuff--- on the one hand it has really helped my acne, however, I've been having a hard time finding the right dose where it won't make my periods weird and irregular. Confused

5% products discount

Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
(Maybe we should be PMing since this is pretty off-topic, but I was really interested in your passing reference to this drug so maybe someone else will be, too.) I tried taking spironolactone twice before but both times I had to quit because it gave me absolutely agonizing stomach cramps. I almost missed my cousin's wedding because I spent the night before doubled up in agony in the hotel room. I was so disappointed, because this drug not only really helped my acne, but also helped reduce excess body hair--although that problem seems to be going away by itself now, for some reason. Obviously my problems are all hormonal.
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
I've tried MMU, but I found it just highlighted roughness in my complexion. Even having improved my overall texture the last few months, MMU doesn't help with large pores and pitted scars.
I've resorted back to liquid foundation after years of using MAC's studiofix alone. I liked the Pout Radiance foundation as it provides good coverage, and sort of dries to a powder finish so it looks more natural. The only drawback is their colour selection is quite limited, so it may be an issue finding a colour match. Also, it's expensive (depends where you are though, I've checking Sephora, and in Canada its $48, whereas its $30 in the US).
Cargo's foundation is nice as well, but I found it a bit 'sticky', but it did help with minimizing uneven skin texture. I wasn't a fan of the packaging though (the one that comes in a juice bag)

I've also on a whim picked up a bottle of Neutrogena's skin-clearing foundation, and I think I even prefer this to the pout! It contains some salicylic acid, but I doubt that it's actually doing anything to help clear my skin, but it hasn't made me breakout either (and I have very acne-prone skin for the most part). Its also cheapest, so even better for me Very Happy ...too bad I have to pick it up from the US though, hopefully canada will carry it soon!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |