Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How does Vit C help with acne?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:27 am      Reply with quote
Hello all,

And my apologies if this has already been covered but I can't figure out how/why Vit C serum is supposed to help with acne. I understand the anti-photoaging thing but the acne thing?? hmm

As a related aside, may I say that I hate all C/E+ferulic formulations. I've tried 3 and they ALL break me out. GGGRrrrrrrr. Dunno if it's the oil-base or what.

Cat
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:34 am      Reply with quote
I have never heard that they help with acne...most of the post I see with acne prone people are breaking out, thats why I have avoided them in the past, so Im also interested in this...lemme see if I can dig up some info...

Cat-what brands have you used?

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:45 am      Reply with quote
Here is something very interesting about zinc being a great antioxident for acne prone skin.

http://pt.wkhealth.com/pt/re/ijdm/abstract.00004342-200209000-00015.htm;jsessionid=G7mDTJTWwZ9n4wyHJs7lyN1DQLFLjJyRJ79DjvBpcRwQ8vWF3S2g

Still looking for Vit C info...

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
plug-in-babe
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:51 am      Reply with quote
It probably helps with acne scar since it can accelerate skin regeneration.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:56 am      Reply with quote
Hi Vonstella,

I've tried a few brands. The one I like better is Skinceuticals (10, 15 or 20%), NOT C/E+Ferulic (evil!)

Thanks for the link.

Cat
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:57 am      Reply with quote
Thats what I thought too, however, it also seems to trigger acne in a lot of people, not sure if its the base or the actual Vit C. I do know that if I eat too much citrus fruit or drink a lot of OJ I will break out soon after. Could be the champagne in the OJ though... Cool

vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:58 am      Reply with quote
Do you not break out from the Skinceuticals?

Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:12 am      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
T Could be the champagne in the OJ though... Cool

No, Vonstella, the champagne in the OJ is what stabilizes everything. In fact every morning routine should start with some champagne!!!

No, the Skinceuticals (except for the ^%#!! C/E+F*&^%!!) has been good. No breakouts. The 15% *seems* (and I don't know how to explain this better)the best.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:59 am      Reply with quote
If you're acne prone, perhaps consider the MyChelle Perfect C serum. It's supposed to be formulated towards those with acne.www.mychelleusa.com. You can buy samples to try. They are currently having 15% off for acne products this month (includes the C serum). I have tried both this and Skinceuticals CE Ferrulic. I liked the feel and finish of the MyChelle one better (it's less sticky after application and also has less of a smell than the Skinceuticals CE Ferrulic). The effect for me is about the same for both. The MyChelle one has witch hazel, for those who are averse to alcohol in their products. But my skin is a bit on the oily side, so I liked that it dried more matte.
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:27 am      Reply with quote
JM also has C serums for "acne prone" and again, it's supposed to help with the acne... All these claims! Where is my mimosa?
junassara
5% products discount

Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:34 am      Reply with quote
I just thought that would add that when I first started using then Vit C stuff I started to break out but I kept up with it and my skin evened out and the break outs stop...I spoke with a skin care person and they said that the concentration of Vit C in the serum plays a part and your skin needs time with it. Just wanted to throw that in... Ya know I'm just sayin...
leidon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:
If you're acne prone, perhaps consider the MyChelle Perfect C serum. It's supposed to be formulated towards those with acne.www.mychelleusa.com. You can buy samples to try. They are currently having 15% off for acne products this month (includes the C serum). I have tried both this and Skinceuticals CE Ferrulic. I liked the feel and finish of the MyChelle one better (it's less sticky after application and also has less of a smell than the Skinceuticals CE Ferrulic). The effect for me is about the same for both. The MyChelle one has witch hazel, for those who are averse to alcohol in their products. But my skin is a bit on the oily side, so I liked that it dried more matte.

My skin is acneic & I was just curious what makes the formulation in MyChelle & JM better for "acne prone" skin?

combo/acne prone skin/naturally tan-nc 42: HG so far: Pure Minerals Mineral Melt cleanser for OCM, JM bioglycolic cleanser, JM bioclear, EII, Sofina Nuance Up, SK-II airtouch fdn, Vincent Longo lip stain in Baby Boo & My Sunshine, Kevyn Aucoin Apricot Tansoleil blush
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
I don't really know Leidon. Hopefully we'll get an answer soon. I *think* it has to do with more of a "watery" formulation. JM also has a special type of C-molecule (C-ester v/s l-ascorbic acid) - so I assume they dissolve differently and/or are more/less bioactive.
leidon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Cat. Ya know I'm such a product junkie that I just realized that I actually have the MyChelle Vit C. I don't recall it being marketed for acne prone skin though, but that's great news for me.

I've really been wanting to incorporate a good Vit C serum into my routine. I did do a round with Skinceuticals C E Ferulic, but don't remember being wowed by the results. But, I also did not break out from it, which is huge for me. The serum has since turned orange, so I think that it has oxidized & is no longer effective. However, I do vaguely recall reading somewhere that for some reason w/the C+E ferulic the orange color doesn't necessarily mean it has gone bad??

I also used Candy's triple c, but I think the formula may have been too kick ass for my acneic skin b/c I broke out.

I was considering ordering JMs Vit C w/my refill order of bio cleanser & cream, but there doesn't seem to be raves for it over on MUA.

I'll give the Mychelle C a go tonight. At this point I just want to incorporate a Vit C that won't break me out. If it doesn't work for me, I think I'll just stick with Skinceuticals c e ferulic.

combo/acne prone skin/naturally tan-nc 42: HG so far: Pure Minerals Mineral Melt cleanser for OCM, JM bioglycolic cleanser, JM bioclear, EII, Sofina Nuance Up, SK-II airtouch fdn, Vincent Longo lip stain in Baby Boo & My Sunshine, Kevyn Aucoin Apricot Tansoleil blush
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
Since you have the MyChelle serum, you might as well try it. It has different base to some of the other formulations. I think some people mentioned that butylene glycol or propylene glycol in some of the other Vit. C serums was the ingredient that provoked outbreaks for them. Anyway, you didn't break out on Skinceuticals CE Ferrulic and that is one that is reputed to be most likely to do it on acne-prone people due to the Vit. E component as those people said there were OK on the ones with just the C without the E. Everyone's skin is different, so you won't know until you have tried it for yourself.
Uno
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:50 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe you can try SkinMedica, it is silicon-based and is much less oily than many other brands.

I too found Vit. C does not help my acne... but it helps fading the marks.
melanie haber
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:47 am      Reply with quote
Some wild guesses:

Perhaps for some the C has an anti-inflammatory effect

It helps the immune system, perhaps even locally

It aids in healing

For some, applying the C might have been what changed their skin ph to a less hospitable climate for acne germs (if their weren't using low ph toners already)
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:19 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the guesses and suggestions. I think it fades old scars, mostly.

I too have heard a lot of raves about SkinMedica and am curious about it.

Leidon, let us know about the MyChelle. I'm still toying with the idea of trying the JM C-ESTA. After all, I use the cleanser, bioglyclear serum and Transformation cream. I like the idea of not waiting. I know people are not bowled over by JM C-serums but maybe they have to be part of the whole regimen. Then again, sounds like a good marketing ploy.
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:44 am      Reply with quote
P.S: EDS made these recommendations for more watery C serums:

Obagi Professional-C Serum 10%, Cellex-C High
Potency Serum, Kate Somerville Total Vitamin Antioxidant Complex, or Valmont Infinite Radiance Essence Skin Illuminating Serum.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:04 am      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:
Thanks for the guesses and suggestions. I think it fades old scars, mostly.

I too have heard a lot of raves about SkinMedica and am curious about it.

Leidon, let us know about the MyChelle. I'm still toying with the idea of trying the JM C-ESTA. After all, I use the cleanser, bioglyclear serum and Transformation cream. I like the idea of not waiting. I know people are not bowled over by JM C-serums but maybe they have to be part of the whole regimen. Then again, sounds like a good marketing ploy.

I think Jan Marini line is an excellent choice for acne prone skin. IMO Vit C not so much helps acne but skin health in general. The younger you start using Vit. C the nicer your skin will look when you get older. My Derm recommended Cellex C to me over 20 years ago. Cool Since I have changed brands but always have used a C serum.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:09 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Winnie. There are so many brands, so many formulations, it's all somewhat confusing. I think I will bite the bullet and go with JM. I won't know till I try, right?! Laughing
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:20 am      Reply with quote
Cat, I have oily skin and the wrong kind of anything will clog me up like a load of laundry stuffed in the toilet. Laughing

I'm currently using Cellular Skin RX - it's a nice, smooth watery formula; just a few drops will go a long way. I also have a sample of PSF's new formula and it goes on very nicely as well. I have yet to see any differences from using it, however and perhaps I won't but I do like the concept of feeding my skin with antiox...

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:34 am      Reply with quote
athena123, you crack me up!!! Laughing
leidon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:21 pm      Reply with quote
I'm going to try the MyChelle C tonight. Just so afraid to cause another breakout. Loving that my skin is almost completely clear of acne. I also started incorporating Obagi (clear,blender,sunfader) into my JM routine this week to help w/fading my acne scars. But I really do need to incorporate a Vit C into my regime as well. So, like you said Cat, won't know til ya try. If it breaks me out I will try JMs.

Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
I make my own Vit C, and haven't noticed that it causes any breakouts. Maybe you should try to DIY!!

Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:55 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |