Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
I'm in a weird place in my life (advice)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:13 am      Reply with quote
Hi every1 sorry haven't been online much..

I'm in a weird place in my life right now...I make an automatic 8000$ every month (doing hardly anything, thanks to all the investments I made years ago, finally paying off). I want to buy a house & I want to have a kid, but not yet, I'm too young, I'm only 19. I thought about saving for a down payment so I'm planning to automatically save 1/2 of what I make every month . I live in Canada at the moment, outside of Calgary and frankly I want out of here lol..I want to be somewhere warm before winter hits but I don't know where to go.

My question to you is, what would you do if you where me? & is there anywhere you could recommend? I've been thinking about living in hotels a few months & traveling to figure out where I want to put down my down payment for a house..I want to live somewhere warm, near water, English speaking people, not too touristy or run down..
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:02 am      Reply with quote
Hi Daniel. I'm in Canada also (Ontario) and I sure wish I had your problems. Smile I have to give you kudos for making such wise investments at such a young age. I have a 16 year old that has about 10 bucks in his account. Rolling Eyes

Are you thinking of leaving Canada, since you mention going somewhere warm? The reason I ask is that that if you don't have dual * spam *, from what I remember hearing, you would only be able to leave the country for 6 months at a time, then you would have to come back to Canada for a few weeks. I'm not clear on all the details of it but I suggest you look into that and take it into consideration before you buy a house.

I don't really have alot of suggestions of where you should go, since I haven't travelled a whole lot, and of course I have only gone to high tourist areas (Dominican, Orlando) but I have also gone to North Carolina and thought it was beautiful. I would love to go back. I'm sure others that have travelled more can give you better suggestions. But on a side note, I love Canada and would never think of moving. I hope you decide to stay here.
charlibets
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:26 am      Reply with quote
daniel7654 wrote:
Hi every1 sorry haven't been online much..

I'm in a weird place in my life right now...I make an automatic 8000$ every month (doing hardly anything, thanks to all the investments I made years ago, finally paying off). I want to buy a house & I want to have a kid, but not yet, I'm too young, I'm only 19. I thought about saving for a down payment so I'm planning to automatically save 1/2 of what I make every month . I live in Canada at the moment, outside of Calgary and frankly I want out of here lol..I want to be somewhere warm before winter hits but I don't know where to go.

My question to you is, what would you do if you where me? & is there anywhere you could recommend? I've been thinking about living in hotels a few months & traveling to figure out where I want to put down my down payment for a house..I want to live somewhere warm, near water, English speaking people, not too touristy or run down..

Good for you Daniel - you are in very good financial shape for your age, maybe for any age. I don't have a recommendation for location - I don't know if there really is a warm place in Canada, but maybe Vancouver is warmer than Calgary? But I would recommend buying a home, even if it is not exactly where you will end up. Buying something with investment potential is a good use of your money if you find something that will appreciate over the next couple years. Maybe by then you will know where you want to settle and will be able to buy something even nicer by selling a starter home.

Betsy
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
Daniel, it's difficult to make recommendations without knowing how you like to spend your time. Do you like to spend time outdoors or is the urban lifestyle more your thing? If you're a city boy who lands in a remote area, it'll drive you nuts just something to consider.

With that said, I'll give you my dream in hopes it'll spark some ideas. Very Happy

Buy a home on the Oregon Coast. Prices are starting to rise, but then again with the housing bust you may get pretty good deals. Not only are the views absolutely stunning no matter which way you look, you'll have the benefit of both ocean and mountain. Depending upon where you go, it'll be either touristy or local. I lived in Newport for a couple years and really loved it. Temps only get down the the 30's during winter because the Pacific ocean keeps everything temperate. If you want museums, theatre and such Portland [a jewel of a city] is only a couple hours away.

Buy a home in northern Arizona. Prices are lower than here in Socal; you can get a lot of home for your money. Winters won't get nearly as cold as they do up north and you can still get the benefit of all 4 seasons [which I really miss] You'll just have to watch out for wild fires but you'll be close to the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Painted Desert depending upon where you land. I lived in Phoenix for 7 years and would NEVER live there again, I hate living in the desert but I sure do like to visit them! Very Happy

Move to New Zealand or Australia! Although I have absolutely no idea what their immigration laws are.

And in all of these places I mentioned, peoples speak English, unlike Southern CA where English is slowly becoming the second language.

Good luck to you!

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Jala
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
I like athena's idea...moving to New Zealand or Australia Very Happy

Another beautiful place I'd be really interested in visiting is Coronado, California. Is anyone here familiar? I saw it being profiled on one of the travel channels awhile ago, and it's stuck in my mind ever since. It's in the San Diego area and looks beautiful!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Im sure many of us would love to have your problem.
You sound like a very intelligent woman. Athena suggested the Oregon Coast,but if it is in your consideration.Be prepared for rain and more rain,rain,rain.
The Southern Coastal Areas are warmer. Gold Beach, Brookings are small and not as much rain.
I hope you find a lovely place and your Soulmate.
Good Luck
Linda
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
Jala wrote:
I like athena's idea...moving to New Zealand or Australia Very Happy

Another beautiful place I'd be really interested in visiting is Coronado, California. Is anyone here familiar? I saw it being profiled on one of the travel channels awhile ago, and it's stuck in my mind ever since. It's in the San Diego area and looks beautiful!

I have family that lives on Coronado Island CA. What a gorgeous place. We are going there in October for our nieces wedding. I love Southern CA. View slideshow:

http://ecoronado.com/webframe/photos.shtml

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Shylass
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
You might also want to take the cost of living in the area that you're going to choose into consideration. I'm moving to San Diego later this year. I've lived there before and it's fun with lots of things to do, but very expensive. Hawaii wasn't all it's cracked up to be. I thought it was too expensive to be able to do things on a regular basis. So far, my favorite place has been Maine. I get all of the seasons and the people are so nice. Hope this helps.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:40 am      Reply with quote
I can understand how you feel, I think we have all been there.
You are in a lucky position finiancially to be able to do what you want, I think I would hold off buying a house and take a year out to go travelling, explore different places and find somewhere you really like.
Some great place suggestions already Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:11 am      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:
I can understand how you feel, I think we have all been there.
You are in a lucky position finiancially to be able to do what you want, I think I would hold off buying a house and take a year out to go travelling, explore different places and find somewhere you really like.
Some great place suggestions already Very Happy

I'd do the same as rosebud, travel for a while and see if there's anywhere I'd like to throw down some roots for a while.

Actually, I'd swap you in an instant. I'd love to live in Canada! However, I'm not sure you'd want to live in rainy (although surprisingly sunny and warm at the moment) England. Laughing
cahoot
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
So far, my favorite place has been Maine. I get all of the seasons and the people are so nice. Hope this helps.

Ooohh I love Maine, I spent a whole summer there a long time ago, eating lobsters and blueberry muffins( well doing other things too but food always linger my memory... Very Happy ) The place is gorgeous, and they tell me in the fall it's a very romantic place for a weekend getaway, what with falling leaves and breaksfast in bed and a warm fire if it's cold enough. But I hear the winters are very very cold!!

If I were you and am able to, I'd travel. I spent ages 18-24 half way around the world from where I live, studying and (in the holidays) travelling. I really enjoyed that time.My only regret is not travelling more. You could buy the book '1000 Places to go before you die' and go down the list! Laughing
charis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
How about Santa Barbara, Ca. (or Montecito right next door?). If you have the $$$$ that's a great place to be. It's near the water, warm, SUPER mild winters and BEAUTIFUL. It's far away from LA to have CLEAN AIR and not as many tourists (a bit off the beaten path, yet not remote). None of the humidity of the east coast, just nice pleasant warmth and not rundown in the least!
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:30 am      Reply with quote
Very Happy wow thank you all for your replies.

I think there is no easy answer where to live...but one thing is certain, I can't get a morgage because I don't have 3 year employment records (have only been self employeed) so I will just live in hotels and visit somewhere new every month...then when I find somewhere I like forsure, put the money down $.

Santa Barbara, Ca, Coronado Island and Maine are cool suggestions!
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
Turkey is the neatest place I've ever been!
So many different cultures and great food.
cahoot
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
sharky, i love turkey too!! well i've only ever been to istanbul but love it love it love it!! turkish delight anywhere else just doesn't taste the same! (well i guess the fact that i went there with the love of my life played a part too haha) Laughing
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:27 am      Reply with quote
i love living in Vancouver. The winters are not too cold and the summers are not too hot... if you don't mind the rain.
The scenery is great, we have the ocean and mountains. The price of living is expensive here though, but it looks like your financially fine.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
daniel7654 wrote:

Kerala, India.
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
Daniel put a backpack on your back, fly to Europe, get a Eurorail pass, stay in youth hostels and see a bit of the world outside of N. America. Believe me, you will have memories that will last you a lifetime, you will make new friends of different cultures, you will broaden your horizons much more than if you confine yourself to N. America and when you get back, then you can decide where and what you want to do. Been there, done that and don't regret a minute of it Very Happy
Jala
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
Winnie wrote:

I have family that lives on Coronado Island CA. What a gorgeous place. We are going there in October for our nieces wedding. I love Southern CA. View slideshow:

http://ecoronado.com/webframe/photos.shtml

Yes, yes! That's the place! Looks like such a nice place to live...if you've got the $$$$!

Good luck and have fun in wherever you choose to go, Daniel!

Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:32 am      Reply with quote
Ever thought of going to Hawaii. It is a great place with warm, tropical weather and some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. People are very laid back and friendly and despite being in the middle of the Pacific, there are actually a lot of things to do. I have to admit though, the cost of living is a bit high.
mariepop
5% products discount

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:00 am      Reply with quote
Tough decision Daniel! I would wait and have more money for my dream house and make it my goal not to answer those sharks for a mortgage.

I've read a book called "take your money and run" by Alex Doulis. He was living in Toronto and left for a much warmer place in the sun and he explain how he did it. One of the first things to do is to "protect your asset" so no one can seize it and he wrote if he had stayed, he would have been much poorer. You can "google" it!

There are over 100,000 Americans every year that are leaving US for Canada, for our health system, but at 19 and healthy, you don't have to worry about that. Very Happy and when having $$$ it's not important where you live, you can afford to be sick Shock

In USA there are some states you cannot invest outside of the state you live in, (if my memory is good, I think Virginia is one of them, maybe someone can confirm but Virginia is not warm enough Bad Grin ) and it is becoming harder to invest off shore but not for the rich ones which their wealth & residency are already outside the country. I.e. Madonna, Bono...to avoid paying taxes or at least to minimize. Maybe you should concentrate to do like them, find a way not to give to the government all your monies & interests you do on your investment. You probably are ahead in this matter.
When I have started to travel and see what's going on outside Canada, I now appreciate more where I live (Ottawa) I prefer the cold to tornados, hurricanes, floodings and earthquakes... pretty scary things to go through. I've just realized...lately we are getting some too! It's also nice to take few weeks off to be on a beach in a warm foreign country and meeting & making friends with different cultures. It has enrich my culture but empty my wallet Cool
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
Smile Hi everyone

I thought I would post an update. I decided not to go ahead with travel - instead I purchased a mid-range house near a beach where I live. I'm renting it out now to pay down the morgage and staying in a seperate guest suite on the lower level.

I think this was the smartest plan, as this way I will have my own place incase my investments crash and have extra money once the morgage is payed off to travel (roughtly a year to go)... Cool
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |