Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

insect repellent for everyday use
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
I'm going to be in Nepal for 3 months and will require an insect repellent for daily use. Thus I'd prefer something without Deet, and something that isn't too oily or smelly. I'm going to try using the dryer sheets, but I want a spray/lotion as additional protection. Any suggestions?
angel06
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:15 am      Reply with quote
I am also looking for insect repellant esp for tick. My husband works in the forest so he is exposed to this type of insect. I am looking for natural and yet effective. Thanks.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
Intake of B-Vitamins (insects hate the taste) and citronella essential oil added to moisturiser.
Also try to go on a sugar/refined food free diet before a week before you go away, again this makes you less tasty.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
I've heard a lot of good things about the one from Burt Bee's. I've not used it yet but it's gotten good reviews on this board. Deet free.

5% products discount

Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
angel06 wrote:
I am looking for natural and yet effective.

I understand the desire to stay away from toxic chemicals. I try to eat organic foods, don't ever use lawn care pesticides, and use boric acid instead of conventional pesticides for cockroaches; however, when it comes to insect repellents you are looking at a risk-risk trade-off. You have to weigh the risk of the likelihood of the insect-borne disease with the inherent risk of using the pesticide.

It really depends on the risk conditions in the environment and the underlying health of the user.

When my 16 y/o daughter was in Mexico this summer in an area where malaria is endemic, we discussed the risks and decided to use a 33% DEET product. (We wouldn't have been using DEET if she were 6 and going to Minnesota.)

If you decide to use pesticide, please look for an EPA registration number which means that the US Environmental Protection Agency has done a risk assessment and determined that the product poses no undue risk when used as directed. Most importantly, when you a pesticide you need to follow the directions for use EXACTLY. If the product says use a specific amout or to wash hands after use- you must do that to assure your safety and the effectiveness of the product! All the risk calculations are based on users reading the label and using the product as directed.

You might find the following site on insect repellents interesting.
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/health/mosquitoes/ai_insectrp.htm

(I do work for the EPA pesticide program.)
damblues
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:42 am      Reply with quote
Yvetteski wrote:
angel06 wrote:
I am looking for natural and yet effective.

I understand the desire to stay away from toxic chemicals. I try to eat organic foods, don't ever use lawn care pesticides, and use boric acid instead of conventional pesticides for cockroaches; however, when it comes to insect repellents you are looking at a risk-risk trade-off. You have to weigh the risk of the likelihood of the insect-borne disease with the inherent risk of using the pesticide.

It really depends on the risk conditions in the environment and the underlying health of the user. http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/health/mosquitoes/ai_insectrp.htm

(I do work for the EPA pesticide program.)

I totally agree. In a family of doctors, they all recommend the usage of the DEET based repellant when we do outdoor events together. The mosquito is the state bird, ticks are everywhere and do not even get me started about chiggers. It is funny when we show up at an outdoor event there are usually 6- 7 cans, lotions, sprays that have been brought and it is a community repellant fest. Of course, it depends on the event - if we meet up at an outdoor cafe - we are not going to douse ourselves in deet. If we go to Michael's dad's place and are hanging out by the pond or riding 4 wheelers in the back acreage - we douse ourselves.

Thanks for the link.

Deb
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
michelec wrote:
I've heard a lot of good things about the one from Burt Bee's. I've not used it yet but it's gotten good reviews on this board. Deet free.

I've got this spray along with California baby spray due to good reviews and being natural and deet free, but have not used either of them yet. But I can comment on the feel of them on my skin as I did a test patch on my leg to see whether Im allergic to it and cos the Burts Bees is 60 something % oil, it did feel very greasy and has a strong fragrance to it, but it went away after 15 minutes, whereas the California baby's one was lighter and felt very refreshing and cool on my leg. I might consider using the California baby on around my face, in the neck area, but definately not the Burts Bees.

I guess by the time I have used them, you wont be needing the insect repellent sprays but I will update once I come back!

HTH
yy

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
When I'm at home (southern ontario) if I use a bug spray, I usually use something containing DEET. However, this is when it's occasionally used for random outdoor events, and only 1-2 applications for the whole day.

While in Nepal, I'd have to wear bug repellent ALL day, EVERY day. Knowing the associated risks of DEET, such high use for 3 months cannot be good! I'll be using a DEET bug spray on treks in jungle type areas, however for everyday use in the village, I'd prefer something more natural.

I've looked into the Burt's Bee's one, but some people have complained about its oily texture. Due to my already oily complexion, as well as diminished access to proper cleaning, i'm afraid this might be a bit too much for my skin.
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried the Repel brand of insect repellents?

Also, anyone know a retailer in Canada that carries it? I've been to a few health food stores, and they only seem to carry 'Buzzaway' and the BB's insect repellents.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:19 am      Reply with quote
I take brewers yeast every day and its supposed to ward off bug bites(they dont like the taste of you)I notice when everyone else gets mosqitoe bites I never do!
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:25 am      Reply with quote
Hi Hanna

I said I will update you on the BB insect repellent, so here's my feedback on it.
It works...but the smell is too strong, cos when I apply it, everyone around me wrinkles their nose and ask what is that SMELL!? Whilst it wards off some of the insects, as I did get a few bites, it was considerably less than previous years.
BB is an insect repellent oil spray so it is very oily, but if you dont apply moisturiser then this acts as one too! However, cos my arms are so greasy, sometimes colour from the shopping bags come off me Mad

Even though I had the California Baby's spray, I havent used it as the BB lasted me the whole 3.5 weeks. But when I tried it, it definately is not as strong smelling as BB and a lot less oily too.

HTH

Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:59 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |