Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Favorite Magazines?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Caspers Mum

Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
A couple of years ago, I had to move out of a condo. that I'd been in for five years. Of course, whenever one moves, it is natural that many things get tossed-away, recycled, or brought to the Salvation Army. I had about six months' worth of accumulated magazines to give away & recycle. The amount of money that I waste on magazines isn't alarming, but when I think of where I could spend my money more wisely, I give myself a momentary kick in the arse. And then I go out and buy ... more magazines! Embarassed

This is one of my weaknesses, and though I'm not nearly as indulgent as I once was, I still like to get weekly and monthly fixes of a few particular magazines. Namely, [/i]People (weekly) and Cosmopolitain (monthly). I usually buy U.S. Cosmo, but the U.K. version is so much more fun, and ... naughty Wink It also has a much bigger price tag though. It's truly insignificant dribble to read, but for pure escapism, this is my weakness. Sometimes, I will buy Glamour, Allure, or fitness magazines. Usually, I just stick to the basics. My after-work Fridays often consist of going to the newsstand to buy one (or both) magazines, popping-into the near-by pub by my apartment (The Regal Beagle Very Happy ), and slowly sipping a beer as I ignore the world around me, and lose myself in the pages of a magazine. Note: if I happen to be reading Cosmo, this tends to attract attention from some men; they're always curious about what the scandalous contents might be. rofl
Kiwigirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
OMG! why didn't i think of this thread!
i am known among my friends as a total magazine-aholic, and that's saying something. there's some statistic that New Zealand, per head of population, has the highest magazine readership in the world! and for a country of just 4million we have LOADS of titles, lots imported from Australia, UK and America, but loads of NZ titles too!

anyway, back to my obsession... my latest favourite mag is marie claire, it's the australian version, but i like it because it has a mix of fashion, beauty, and really good stories.

i'll occasionally buy cheapy mags like New Weekly (Aust) or who (weekly from Aust), and i also subscribe to The Listener (which is a NZ magazine that is kind of current affairs, political comments, reviews etc., very well respected), Donna Hay Magazine (which is a fantastic Australian cooking mag - I love to drool over the pictures), i have also been known to dabble in InStyle (quite often), She, New Woman, Cleo, Cosmo (all less often, i feel as though i have to get value for money and not sure if they offer that), fitness mags, anything really! i have almost no brand loyalty!!!

my sister is a real Women's weekly type of girl, which is okay, but i have a thing about the paper of proper monthly magazine - there's nothing quite like the feal of shiny, glossy magazine paper between your fingers...

my one embarrassing subscription is to this trashy sort of mag thing called 'Real life crimes', which i get every month - but i can say it is work related as i work in the criminal justice field!

i totally sympathise about the problem of old magazines, i can't bear to put them out with the recycling (seems like giving away from friends) and i have a few favourites that i've kept (one particularly is a vanity fair from like 5 years ago with brad pitt on the cover *swoon*). i moved flats about 2 years ago and have to go through the separation process *sniff*, most i gave to my sister who works in a hospital so she put them in the staff room for people to read, i love passing on the love!

hmm, thinking about it, there might have been a new Marie Claire out by now... *run to shops*
siri
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:16 am      Reply with quote
OMG I am a total Magazine Junkie.. And because American and English magazines are very expensive here (over US$10, sometimes US$20 an issue) I subscribe for a lot of them, it is cheaper, even considering the shipping costs. Allure and Marie Claire are my favourites for skincare and makeup. For fashion I like Elle. I am almost embarrased to reveal this (I don't think anyone besides my husband knows this..), but here is my list of monthly must-haves:

US Marie Claire
UK Marie Claire
US Elle
UK Elle
Norwegian Elle
US Shape
US Fitness
Swedish Fitness Magazine
UK New Woman
US Harper's Bazaar
US Allure

These are just the fashion/beauty magazines, I also love interiour decorating magazines.. Mostly from US. I also have variuos other Norwegian magazines for subscription, som weekly ones and some monthly. I also get a lot of scrapbooking magazines from the US, that's my new hobby (scrapbooking) Very Happy

I have always loved magazines! I always look through it quickly first, maybe stopping at the most interesting articles, and then I go through it again. And again Smile If only I had spent this time on studying.. But I need breaks during the day and I don't watch TV, so I don't think I spend too much time reading magazines.

Smile Smile
Gucci
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:11 am      Reply with quote
MMMmmm yes England is known for its ridiculously high prices!!!

I have delivered monthly Football Italia YES I am a woman!! Laughing I just love Italian Football. My hero's are Juventus and I also go to Amsterdam whenever the Dutch National Team play, They are fantastic. Dancing

I also buy some of the gossip magazines, like Now and Hello and OK, but thats about it really.!!

At work we tend to all buy different magazines and share them!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:34 am      Reply with quote
I've really cut down on my magazine * spam alert *.

I've stopped buying music magazines (NME, MM,Q etc) & the womens mags, Boxing News, Martial Arts Illustrated, Combat. Now I buy if there is something I specifically want to keep.

My shop now consists of

Boxing Monthly
Private Eye (like a UK version of The Onion)
Yoga Journal
Mabsy

Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:27 am      Reply with quote
Laughing I don't feel so bad now!

Aus Vogue
Aus Harper's Bazaar
Aus InStyle (sometimes)
Aus Marie Claire (sometimes)
Aus Shop Till You Drop Embarassed
US Allure
SPC
T3
Time
Aus PC Authority Embarassed

Only problem is that they often come in the same week Confused I have four sitting on my desk at the moment and have not had any time to read them during the week Mad

Mabsy
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:40 am      Reply with quote
yep, just as you get paid a chunk of money goes to the magazines
sab
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Just wondering if there's any members from Europe (continental part like Germany or Austria). Well, some time ago when i visited Austria, and grab a copy of those big name magazines like cosmopolitian, elle in those petrol station's store... wow they are very slim unlike those from US or UK which are normally quite chucky. Frankly speaking i don't understand what they are talking about inside the mag, but from the pics they are more simple and give me a more down-to-earth impression.

Well, I really enjoy reading Japanese magazines like nonno, JJ's. They are really fun to read even though you donno much about the language. There are tons and tons of updated info, new cosemtic, new fashion.

Not sure this happen in your place. Well, in Hongkong free gifts come along magazine is a must. Mostly are bags, scarf and tees. Some of the gifts sometimes are quite attractive like product sample. The most crazy one i can recall was CDML. End up with queues. hahaha... Laughing

As a fan of Cosmo, I really have no clue why Singapore do not have it's own publication. Izzit too gross for the content?? I don't think so. I really enjoy reading it. Now i don't buy any hard copies (oversea one are super expensive here Crying or Very sad ) so I read online.
siri
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:14 am      Reply with quote
Here in Norway the magazines, like Elle, are much slimmer, yes, than the UK or US versions. This is because there is much less advertising and there are also fewer articels. Lots of fashion pages, though.

I hate the free gifts from these magazines.. Bags, beauty bags, flip flops.. Why include them when the quality is so bad. I love samples, of course Smile There was one gift I remember, a wide toothed comb which I used for 8-10 years (!), it was perfect for distributing deep conditioner Smile Smile
celine13
5% products discount

Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:23 pm      Reply with quote
InStyle, Instyle, Instyle!!!!

This has to be my ALL time favourite. Even thought it costs AUD$12.30, the fact that I re-read and re-read them, I think it's worth it!

PS: American version only please!!
Mabsy

Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:08 am      Reply with quote
Celine - I was kinda surprised about how enthusiastic you were about the InStyle until I got to the price and thought "hang on, that's not right" and then I read the last line in your post Laughing I've gotta check out the US one then, the Aus one always disappoints me.
Dabawenya62
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
InStyle magazine - like it but I always hate their cover... Beautiful women and very air brushed too...

Maxim - yah yah yah.. it's a men's mag but hey I like their fun articles in there... Smile

People - well I just want to read the Entertainment news... and their cross word puzzle...

PET PEEVES on Magazines: Those inserts, hate them truly with passion... oh well! Rolling Eyes

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 13, 2007 10:26 pm      Reply with quote
'Shop Til You Drop' is great!
babybelle
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2007 11:09 am      Reply with quote
My faves are:

Instyle (US)
Real Simple (US) - such a great magazine for the OC organized freak!
Lucky (US) - a magazine about shopping. They regularly offer price breaks and special deals through online and local boutiques. I have gotten such great deals through this magazine! I'm hooked!
Dwell (US) - this is a beautiful magazine to collect. about modern home design and living.
Rolling Stone (US) - best magazine in the world.
lbianca
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2007 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
I don't buy any magazines at all!
I used to be a mag junkie. I bought Cosmo, Bazaar, Vogue, Elle, glamour and many others, every month. Sometimes I bought different versions of a mag (French/British Vogue). I stopped cold turkey and it wasn't a money thing. I realized they kept recycling the same crap over and over again. Also, they seemed to get stupider as time passed (or I became wiser Laughing). I don't miss them one bit.
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2007 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
I really like Allure mag, also Instyle and NewBeauty magazine.
(sheepishly admit to STAR and US magazine as well, love the trashy tabloids, lol!) Smile
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2007 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
lbianca wrote:
I don't buy any magazines at all!
I used to be a mag junkie. I bought Cosmo, Bazaar, Vogue, Elle, glamour and many others, every month. Sometimes I bought different versions of a mag (French/British Vogue). I stopped cold turkey and it wasn't a money thing. I realized they kept recycling the same crap over and over again. Also, they seemed to get stupider as time passed (or I became wiser Laughing). I don't miss them one bit.

yes!i totally your point! i also do it! Laughing
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2007 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
I like Allure, InStyle, Fine Gardening, Nat'l Geographic, Time, Self, and People StyleWatch.

(and Life & Style Shhh )

I have 3 young kids, so it's easier to read a couple of pages in a mag than getting into a book.

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2007 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
iv never ever been completely loyal to any mag i.e. buying it religiously every month.

i usually buy a stash of it when i know im going on a hol and on a long haul flight. but every now and then i check out the mag section of the supermarket to flsik thru a few or see theres any free gifts with it

i buy mainly glamour or cosmo and sometimes grazia, instyle and heat (ALL UK versions...theyr expensive as they are!)

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2007 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned O magazine yet. Rolling Eyes

I was seriously addicted to purchasing LOTS of mags from grocery store checkout line. I finally stopped doing that to subscribe to just two: O and Fitness.

Every once in a while, I will indulge in Instyle or Allure.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2007 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
I enjoyed the "2" magazine - one aimed for couples - lots of fun articles to read.
Cuddles
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2007 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
Real Simple
Shape
Washingtonian
alice~in~wonderland
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2007 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
Cooking Light
Fine Homebuilding (they're my SO's, but I like em too!)
tinakiss
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 15, 2007 3:13 am      Reply with quote
Glamour (UK)
Grazia(UK)

I commute from Scotland to England every weekend so I don't know where I'd be without these magazines to make commute more interesting Rolling Eyes

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 15, 2007 3:21 am      Reply with quote
I really like People Magazine's Style Watch that they come out with every few months
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:27 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |