Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

So what happens if I don't squeeze?Talk me out of it. (rant)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
michelec
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
I've been PMing with another EDS member about the issue of squeezing and picking. Trying to support each other. After being good for two days I washed my face one night and saw the usual tons of white bumps. I went crazy on them. Now, what would happen if I really did leave them alone and didn't pick? Well, I know that I would have less chance of scarring and less of a chance of it getting infected and becoming a great big pimple. But, I also know that I would be walking around as an adult woman with bumps all over her forehead and temples.

I think that for the number ones that I squeeze, only about one per week progresses to something nasty. Maybe that's not such a bad deal. I once tried on a vacation to completely leave the bumps alone. I think it was the sunscreen on the vacation that was making them worse. But, I didn't squeeze for a week. My forehead and temples looked absolutely insane. There were so many bumps that my husband and kids commented on it and when I got back from the vacation it was a squeeze -fest.

Now, I am even desperately using Retin A (even though I much prefer natural products) but is taking for ever for these bumps to go away. So in my mind, it is maybe worth the risk for the squeeze fest. If I wash my hands and use tissue and all of that. The problem is that once I get in the habit of doing it at all, I eventually find myself going for a squeeze on my hands aren't even clean. That is probably when it gets ugly.

Finally, one big question is, how long does it take for the bombs to go away without squeezing and where does that gunk eventually go?

Whew, thanks for listening/reading.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
I find that when i dont squeeze (i KNOW how hard it is to not) that the pimple goes away quicker .. i just put a dab of tea tree oil to dry it out and then it goes. The ones that i have squeezed have left me with stupid red marks. They have faded somewhat and no one else notices, but I do.
LL
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hi michelec:

I, too, am a terrible picker. I've struggled with my skin for most of my life--granted I have had periods of time where my skin was clear because of antiobiotics. I don't have alot of acne, but whenever I feel one creeping up, I have this urge to pick. Plus, the acne that I do have is very deep so I dig into my skin and evitably cause scarring. I always hate myself when I end up with a huge open sore from a small bump that I couldn't leave. At the same time, I have also had some pimples where extraction was really easy and painless and had I left it, I would have had a bump. I totally know the dilemma you are going through.

I'm trying so hard not to play around with my face too much but it's a struggle. I'm don't think that I've really given you any advice, but I do want to let you know that you're not alone.

Cheers.
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
It is so hard for me to leave a zit alone. I know I should,but,it stands out begging to be squeezed.
Now, I have this milia on my eyelid by the tear duct.That sucker drives me crazy,but it is so close to my eye.
Take care
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
If you really have alot of bumps, you may need an oral antibiotic to get everything under control. A couple of months ago, I would not have given this advice, but I was spending at least 30 minutes every evening, digging at my face in my 10X mirror. I went to my dermatologist to get my forehead injected with Botox and he gave me 2 months of Doxycyline. Within a week, my face was clear and all those bumps were gone.
I can't tell you not to pick....if I had a bump, I'd have to pick it. So maybe its time to get rid of the bumps???

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
have you tried using a salicylic acid treatment in conjunction with the retin a? I find it really works. I like to use a 2% cream (I don't find that the cleansers with SA do much).

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks waffle. I think you are right that a BHA is the thing that really "scrubs" the pores. That's the word that's always for BHA's

I'm just waiting to be stable on the Retin A, meaning no irritation. Because I once did the Retin A and the BHA together and it was too irritating.

But it truly seems like the bumps are always there no matter what I do. It's like it runs in the family. My brother died 6 months ago in a car accident. (Tomorrow makes 6 months exactly). When we got to see his body, he look much better than we thought he would, considering the accident. But we all commented that he, poor thing, died with bumps all over his face. He never did get it under control. I have to admit that the bumps have been worse since then. My daughter even said it seems like his acne was transferred to me. I'm not sure about that part. But I'm willing to believe my stress and grief has made it worse.

I would think about the antibiotics, but I'm not crazy about the idea. Plus what I have is bumps. So I'm not sure it's a bacteria thing. I think bacteria only gets in when I squeeze.

It's an ongoing saga. I'm hoping the RetinA, over months will get at it.

PS - anyone looking at Oprah tonight? - laughing yoga?? Man that is rich.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:50 pm      Reply with quote
michelec- my heart goes out to you. my skin also went completely crazy this year possibly due in part to grief; its been a bad year for my family.
i, too, am a squeezer/picker but am trying to control myself now that my face is LITERALLY covered in the post-acne red mark scars!!! i should take a picture to document how awful it really is (worst in my life) but i feel like i dont want to evidence of it around when my skin eventually goes back to normal...
anom
5% products discount

Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:13 am      Reply with quote
THanks for making my day, I had a great old laugh reading all these posts!!

I too am a picker. If I don't squeeze my blackheads they usully turn into cysts. So part of my daily routine is squeezing all the blackheads/whiteheads I can find. I was always told 'not to pick' but I find that picking clears my skin.
alilicious
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:02 am      Reply with quote
MicheleC,
My most sincere condolences on the loss of your brother. My mother died 3 years ago and we were extremely close. The grief you feel can be overwhelming, but it will start to feel better day by day. Mine took about a year to not feel raw pain everyday and at 2 years life started to feel normal again... in a different way. My skin was also a total mess during and after this time and that has gotten much better as well and I know yours will too. I pray that peace fills your heart and mind... my heart goes out to you.
Ali

Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:46 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |