Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Gray hair!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Dabawenya62
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
Here's my dilemma... I'm in early 40s but the last 10 years, have been seeing my gray hair coming to a full gray hair. Of course I've done coloring my hair, like every 2 months but since I wash/shampoo my hair twice a day (morning and evening - and can't leave the house without taking full shower nor can't sleep at nite without taking one as well). I'm sick and tired of either coloring it myself or going to my hairdresser, which of course, cost more than doing oneself.

So here's my question(s), does anyone there has a great solution, aside from coloring your hair of couse and letting my gray hair grow (yikes!)...

Also, is it really true or just a myth that once you've colored your hair, your gray hair will grow faster than it supposed to be and it may affect your eyesight too? Any one?

Thanks

Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
At nearly 30, and with blonde hair, I haven't seen any grey hair yet, but I do have highlights throughout, and know all-too-well just how costly it can be to maintain any type of color consistancy.

You may want to try using a color enhancing shampoo. This may prolong the life of your color, as well as temporarily camoflage the greyish roots. The best brand that I know-of is ARTec shampoos. They have the heaviest pigments, and for extra enhancement, try the following: shampoo with appropriate shampoo, rinse, lather-through ARTec color enhancing shampoo, place shower cap over head, and leave for 5-10 minutes. Rinse, and then condition with appropriate conditioner.
Dabawenya62
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mabsy,

Is ARTec Shampooes can be bought only online or are they available in local grocery stores or from Hair Salons or Beauty Shop stores?

How about Henna, has anyone tried it before? Thanks.

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:25 am      Reply with quote
Um... that question is for Caspers Mum right? I hope so 'coz I don't know the answer to it! Embarassed Laughing

I was actually going to suggest Henna. My mum used it for many many years (though not recently for some reason). She's always said good things about it. I think Henna is supposed to be gentler on your hair than hair color and you can also add green tea instead of water when you make it up (which helps somehow but I can't remember how - might have to do a search on that). And yes, use a color enhancing shampoo or get thee a shower cap (I love my Bloom shower cap!) and see if you can get used to "almost full" showers sans the hair getting wet Smile

I haven't heard anything about hair growing faster if you color it or it affecting your eyesight. Sounds a bit iffy if you ask me.... Smile All I get when I color my hair is hair that is nowhere near as healthy as when it isn't being colored.

Mabsy
Dabawenya62
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
Um... that question is for Caspers Mum right? I hope so 'coz I don't know the answer to it! Embarassed Laughing

I was actually going to suggest Henna. My mum used it for many many years (though not recently for some reason). She's always said good things about it. I think Henna is supposed to be gentler on your hair than hair color and you can also add green tea instead of water when you make it up (which helps somehow but I can't remember how - might have to do a search on that). And yes, use a color enhancing shampoo or get thee a shower cap (I love my Bloom shower cap!) and see if you can get used to "almost full" showers sans the hair getting wet Smile

I haven't heard anything about hair growing faster if you color it or it affecting your eyesight. Sounds a bit iffy if you ask me.... Smile All I get when I color my hair is hair that is nowhere near as healthy as when it isn't being colored.

Mabsy

Ooops.. yes it was meant for Caspers Mum, I've been going back n forth with the different thread - my apologies.

Thank you for your reply. Today, I colored my hair and bought the ARTec Kiwi Shampoo and Conditioner and will use for the next 2 weeks and the other ARTec Shampoo (Walnut) once/twice a week and we'll see what happen if my color lasts before my gray hair roots start coming out again.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:22 am      Reply with quote
I'm seriously thinking of stopping colouring my hair and just letting it go natural. My friend has done it and the grey actually looks good

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
I'm seriously thinking of stopping colouring my hair and just letting it go natural. My friend has done it and the grey actually looks good

I've been trying to do that too! Trying to prolong as much as I can to see if I can get hold of myself not to colour my hair, unfortunately, I can't... Sad And whenever I start seeing my gray roots on my center part of head and the side burn, I just want to color right there and then, because it looks like a halo whenever I see myself on the mirror... Until there's a "Miracle" solution, guess I'll have to colour my hair.

Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
Dabawenya62 wrote:
Hi Mabsy,

Is ARTec Shampooes can be bought only online or are they available in local grocery stores or from Hair Salons or Beauty Shop stores?

How about Henna, has anyone tried it before? Thanks.

You cannot buy ARTec products in grocery stores. These can be found in hair salons, or professional beauty supply stores. If you see these products in grocery stores, do not buy them, as they are not authorized by ARTec, and are probably diverted product! Mad

As for Henna: never tried it, but have heard that it's: messy, very concentrated, and can make the hair coarse. However, if you're not wanting to color your hair on a regular basis, why bother with Henna either? Same sort of maintainance, and your regrowth will show just as quickly! Why not try highlights with your color?
Caspers Mum

Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
Ooops.. yes it was meant for Caspers Mum, I've been going back n forth with the different thread - my apologies.

Thank you for your reply. Today, I colored my hair and bought the ARTec Kiwi Shampoo and Conditioner and will use for the next 2 weeks and the other ARTec Shampoo (Walnut) once/twice a week and we'll see what happen if my color lasts before my gray hair roots start coming out again.[/quote]

Let us know how you do with the ARTec "Black Walnut" shampoo. Exclamation
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:23 am      Reply with quote
I can use many dyes as I'm allergic but I do use henna (noir from lush) not as often as I should because it takes about 30 mins to apply at least one hour but often I leave it longer for it to dry out, and at least 30 mins washing it out. So people I know leave it on overnight! I have longer than shoulder length thick hair so I guess if yours is shorter or finer it wouldn't be such a big job.

When I'm done it leaves it a lovely black with blue tints and a great shine, one word of warning with the grey, do strand test, this is really important with henna because you don't want your hair turning green.

I've been going grey since I was about 15 Crying or Very sad being dark I think you notice it more.

Aveda colour shampoos and conditioner I like to help prolong the colour.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:18 am      Reply with quote
just off to boots to get some more 666 Laughing

Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:27 am      Reply with quote
Eve,

"Lush" as in the shop that makes the different types of soaps, masks etc? Or is that some other brand you're talking about? It sounds tedious but I'd like to try it....

Mabsy
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:04 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mabsy,

Yes it's that Lush I mentioned before Very Happy I guess it's a store and a brand. It is time consuming but the effect is nice.
Mabsy

Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:47 am      Reply with quote
Thanks! Smile

Shall pop in next time I go past one and investigate this.
Mabsy

Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:40 am      Reply with quote
Ok Eve, if I get green hair today I am holding you responsible! Laughing

I went past Lush this afternoon and remembered your post so I popped in to have a look. Half an hour, and $60 later, I came out with a few goodies. Henna being one of them. Here I am sitting in front of my laptop with Bebe Caca Marron on my hair....

I must say that I thought the name of the henna was rather odd. I didn't quite understand why any sell-able product should be called "Caca" until I ground this up and mixed it with water. Then I figured out that the name was actually quite befitting Laughing

The application was messy as and I am half expecting to end up with stained skin for quite some time (don't they use henna for temporarily tattooing skin? Confused). I really hope I'm wrong though and I'm still praying that I applied it evenly... Fingers crossed!

Mabsy

ps. I much prefer the smell of this to the normal hair colours.
Medusa
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
How is your hair color? Smile

It can be so messy using henna. Many ppl dont like the smell of henna but I it! Henna can be used as body art/tattoo it last approximately 2 weeks, depends on the quality of the henna and it can also be used to colour hair.
I have brown hair and I like to have dark red/brown hair so instead of water i mix henna with vinegar. I know Rolling Eyes it smells yukky but it just leaves your hair so smooth and silky gives me that dark colour. Cool

Oh yeah to protect your skin while coloring the hair put vaseline on the surrounding skin and you might be saved from staining your skin. Wink

Medusa
Mabsy

Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:42 am      Reply with quote
The color turned out really nice! I didn't have any problems with henna staining my skin either. I ended up leaving the mixture on my hair for about 3.5 hours and then it probably took me another 20 minutes to rinse it all out. It's not the easiest thing to apply, but I have pretty short hair so it wasn't too bad.

Vinegar sounds interesting. I added tea and a raw egg to mine. What other things can you mix it with and what are the different effects you can get from it? I heard you can add lemon juice as well.

Bottom line --> I'm happy with the outcome and will do this again. Though I have just realised that having used henna now means that I am unable to use any haircolor with ammonia or HP for at least the next 6 months. Oh well....

Mabsy
Dabawenya62
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:05 am      Reply with quote
Good for you Mabsy! Unfortunately USA doesn't do or sell Henna here, I heard! My sis-inlaw did say that once you have Hennaed your hair you may have to wait at least 1 year to use any hair coloring to it, but the Henna's result are quite better and stays a bit longer than coloring it.

Question: Did you do it yourself? or did you go to a hairsalon? Leaving it for 3.5 hrs. wow I must say you have lots of patience in there...

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:38 am      Reply with quote
Dabawenya62, I know Lush carries "Hair Henna" products and they do have a store in downtown S.F. Plus it's available on-line. I've also seen henna products in some beauty supply stores as well.

HTH
Caspers Mum

Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:49 am      Reply with quote
Henna should be available in health food stores and at Body Shoppe in the States.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
I used to henna my hair....fantastic results, but like sitting with a cowpat on yer head for half a day Rolling Eyes

....also some people (not me!) found that prolonged use badly dried their hair out

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
WhiteLotus wrote:
Dabawenya62, I know Lush carries "Hair Henna" products and they do have a store in downtown S.F. Plus it's available on-line. I've also seen henna products in some beauty supply stores as well.

HTH

Thanks, White Lotus. I'm browsing the net and found one website base in Florida HENNA and they carry different kinds of Henna. Might check them out. My neighborhood Beauty Salon here doesn't carry them, so I'll probably check Sally's too, if they do.

Thank you ladies, great suggestions, great help! More power to this forum!

Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:43 am      Reply with quote
Dabawenya62 - I did it myself. I went to Lush and bought a block of it after a rec from Eve. I ground it up, mixed it with tea and raw egg (yum yum!) and applied it to my hair. It was rather messy and it does NOT look pretty. It wasn't bad though. You basically apply, wrap your hair in plastic and then wrap a towel around it as well and just go about your business for the next few hours. It was a pain to wash out though.

Two things I noticed:
1) mu towels get a slight yellowy tinge to them when I dry my hair (leftover henna?)

2) Unlike with normal semi-permanent hair color I use, when I was rinsing it out I only saw about 3 hairs go down the drain. Normal semi-permanents make my hair really weak. When I am washing it out there is at least 30 hairs going down the drain while rinsing off the color. I did start using Nioxin shampoo which might have strenthened my hair a bit, either way I was impressed.
Dabawenya62
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:44 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
Dabawenya62 - I did it myself. I went to Lush and bought a block of it after a rec from Eve. I ground it up, mixed it with tea and raw egg (yum yum!) and applied it to my hair. It was rather messy and it does NOT look pretty. It wasn't bad though. You basically apply, wrap your hair in plastic and then wrap a towel around it as well and just go about your business for the next few hours. It was a pain to wash out though.

Two things I noticed:
1) mu towels get a slight yellowy tinge to them when I dry my hair (leftover henna?)

2) Unlike with normal semi-permanent hair color I use, when I was rinsing it out I only saw about 3 hairs go down the drain. Normal semi-permanents make my hair really weak. When I am washing it out there is at least 30 hairs going down the drain while rinsing off the color. I did start using Nioxin shampoo which might have strenthened my hair a bit, either way I was impressed.

Thanks Mabsy. I'll check Lush in San Francisco (an excuse for me to go to the City) White Lotus mentioned they have a store there.

What's the green color result I've read above? Did you have to check a strand before doing it or you just went ahead and do it? When i start coloring my hair years ago, never did those check strands thingi, just crossing my fingers that I won't have green color or other color other than the color I intended to have.

Well, it looks like I have to have an all day affair doing Henna on my hair, so I'll make my own appt to myself to do this and not to go anywhere. Having to wait for at least 3 hrs or so while Henna is on my hair, well I can do a lot of home chores in those hours. Smile

When you say "mix with tea" is that with dried tea or tea as in you boild a water and put tea in it? Sorry I have to ask specific questions here.

Also when you washed/rinsed your hair, was the Henna very very muddy/thick to rinse off? Is that why you mentioned it's a pain to wash them off?

Lastly, my last hair color was Aug. 6th so I assume that I will have to wait 6 weeks before I can do the Henna, what do you suggest? Thanks again...

Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:02 am      Reply with quote
Actually, your sister in law is right. It is about a year that you have to wait before/after using henna and normal hair color that contains ammonia or peroxide. The green color that people get (or the completely burned hair that snaps off at the roots) is a result of using henna without waiting the necessary amount of time before/after using normal hair colour with the afore-mentioned ingredients. I've read some absolute horror stories about what happens to some people's hair if they don't "do their time". So please consider that and DO a strand test if you are not sure.

I didn't do a strand test but I was fairly certain that I was not using ammonia based colourants. The Wella I use does not contain ammonia (or peroxide), plus I haven't used it for ages anywway.

I mixed it with tea (as in a very hot cup of brewed tea) and then followed that with an egg. For me, the difficulty in rinsing it off was not because it was muddy (it's not really) but because you have sand-like particles in your hair. Now we all know how hard it is to wash sand out of our hair right? That's why it took a while.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:24 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |