Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Review::: NARS Albatross highlighting powder
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ladies, I realize I haven't done a review in a long time. So here's one for my latest makeup purchase which I'm extremely happy with- Nars Albatross highlight powder. HG highlighter for me. I've been on a long tedious search for an everyday cheekbone/browbone highlighting powder with NO glitter. It has to be a powder because I'm oily, and it has to have no glitter because I work in a professional environment. This is the ideal highlighter for me because it is a beautiful gold shimmer which looks like a soft metallic sheen on my skin, the lit-from-within glow which is non-greasy and most importantly non-glittery. I always finish off my look with this on top of blush. Lasting power is superb and price is good (Cdn$27) considering the amount. It comes in the same-sized black rubber case as all of Nars' blushes. I will repurchase this because it gives me the exact effect I want and i haven't been able to find any other highlighting powder that is shimmery sans glitter (strike-outs with MAC msf, MAC iridescent powders, BE all over colors, BB shimmer bricks, Stila all over shimmer powder, MUFE shine on & star powders, Guerlain meteorites, Smashbox soft lights...just to give you an idea of how much $ i've wasted). If you're looking for a powder highlighter to make you look like a vision of health, I strongly recommend this. In the corners of the eyes, it makes you look more awake and on cheekbones it gives the quintessential J.Lo glow. A+

violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:15 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review. I like a nice highlighter, too. You know what I found that works-- no glitter, just shimmer. Wet n'Wild eyeshadow in creme. I pat it along my cheekbones up to my temples with my fingertips, and it looks great.
zizi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:54 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review. It souunds exactly like what im looking for. I like the "glow" effect but find the BB Shimmerbricks too shimmery, glittery. Look forward to trying this! Smile
guntz
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:09 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your review.

I am making a decision whether I should buy it or not, but now I know why I shouldn't try?
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:57 am      Reply with quote
dollbird, thanks for the review. This sounds awesome. How would you compare it to the LM Secret brightening powder though? I sometimes use a little bit of that under my mineral make-up and I'm realtively happy with it. TIA.

Cat
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
Cat, I'm sorry i don't think i'm the best person to give you a comparison as i've never tried the LM powder. To my understanding LM is a loose finishing powder that gives an overall brightening effect while Albatross is more of a highlighter in compact powder form to impart a golden glow on select areas such as cheekbones (I wouldn't use it all over). If you're already happy with your LM powder I don't mean to spark another lemming Razz
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:40 am      Reply with quote
dollbird wrote:
If you're already happy with your LM powder I don't mean to spark another lemming Razz

No, dollbird, you certainly don't!!! Bad Grin but can you stop the moth from flying into the flame?.... Laughing Hugs.
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for the review!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
I absolutely love this highlighter as well. I went in to buy "Orgasm" and the SA tried Albatross on me as well. I fell in love with it instantly. I have deep golden skin and it doesn't look chalky on me at all (like I thought it would). One more use for this great product is a highlighter just under your brows or to brighten your eyes use a small amount on the inner corners of your eyes- instant glowing fresh face!
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:54 am      Reply with quote
I stopped by a counter last week and fell in love. It's everything dollbird said it is and more. I am told I look "healthy". Wo-hoo!!
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:
I stopped by a counter last week and fell in love. It's everything dollbird said it is and more. I am told I look "healthy". Wo-hoo!!

please don't tell me you didn't buy it Pray
daydreamingda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:34 pm      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:

Hi Agent OO-CAT,

Can you tell me how does it compare to the LM Secret brightening powder then? since i've been using the LM... and now so tempted to try NARS!! Cool
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:45 am      Reply with quote
Hi daydreamingda,

Sorry for the delay. It's different from the LM Secret brightening powder. I have the #2 (the yellow one) and you can see the powder faintly on my face. I can't see the Albatross but it gives that awesome glow (that appears from within). I am more in love with it everyday and send dollbird good vibes every day when I use it. Albatross and my Mac angled brush are now my most prized possessions and I fly carrying them in my bag in case my luggage gets lost. You can use it on top of your cheekbones, as a brow highlighter..I haven't used it all over yet but I'm pretty tempted.

Cat (in love)

THABK YOU dollbird!!!!
daydreamingda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:43 am      Reply with quote
sounds great!!! i think i will try to get one over the weekend!

Many thx, Agent OO-CAT!!

and btw, happy shopping (EDS coupon)!!! Wink
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:
Hi daydreamingda,

Sorry for the delay. It's different from the LM Secret brightening powder. I have the #2 (the yellow one) and you can see the powder faintly on my face. I can't see the Albatross but it gives that awesome glow (that appears from within). I am more in love with it everyday and send dollbird good vibes every day when I use it. Albatross and my Mac angled brush are now my most prized possessions and I fly carrying them in my bag in case my luggage gets lost. You can use it on top of your cheekbones, as a brow highlighter..I haven't used it all over yet but I'm pretty tempted.

Cat (in love)

THABK YOU dollbird!!!!

glad to have helped
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:20 am      Reply with quote
Remind me not to read any more raves from you, ok!
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:34 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Dollbird for the info! I really like Nars products and it great to hear that there is a new must-have! Very Happy
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
Do you think this would work on someone in their 40's or is it best for a younger person?

Sis
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:47 am      Reply with quote
What brush do you guys use to apply this highlighter?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:34 am      Reply with quote
Sister sweets, I think it'll work for anybody. It's very very subtle and you can hardly see it on your skin (at least on my skin). I recommend trying it at a NARS counter if you have one nearby. It's not glittery and cheesy at all.

andaman_gypsy, I don't have a special brush for it yet.... The MAC 190 has been recommended. Right now I use my Sephora angled blush brush.
cedar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
I am quite over 40. Smile

I bought this yesterday, along with NARS Desire blush. I needed a treat, so headed off to Nordie's for a little much needed "me" time.

I think that Albatross deserves the raves. It is so gently delicate, not obvious at all. I used a fan brush to lightly dust it on cheekbones and outer eyes. I tapped a little on the inside corners of eyes, and below brow. It gives a nice airbrush effect. If I really learn to master it (it's very simple, but I need to do some experimenting) I might even say it gives a much sought after "candle-lit" effect. This is my new favorite highlighter. It provides a delicate but effective sheen, a glow from within. NO shine, no sparkle, no glitter.

Previous favorite highlighters have been Chanel Blanc Universel (matte highlighting cream), Aromaleigh Pearlescent highlighter (glowy MMU), Clinique Glow light powder (light shimmer, and the only Clinique product I highly recommend). I always love Benefit Eyebright pencil to brighten the eye area.

Products that didn't do anything for me: Guerlain Meteorites, LM Secret Brightening powder. I'm sure there are others.

I now have 5 NARS blushes/highlighters, and really like them all. I think they are top notch quality and I love the packaging because it is sleek, efficient AND practical.

Edited to add, my skin is light to light medium, neutral, normal to dry. And hinting at mature.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
cedar wrote:
I now have 5 NARS blushes/highlighters, and really like them all. I think they are top notch quality and I love the packaging because it is sleek, efficient AND practical.

ITA, their packaging is great, my son managed to dig out the center of my blush with his finger and throw the compact several times onto a hard surface, the blush is yet to crack or break. If it can manage to pass the toddler test, then I'm sold!

I might just have to test drive the Albatross this weekend, I always love a good highlighter. Will report back.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Cat and Cedar - Can either or any of you recommend a fan brush? I must have 30 brushes but not one of those!
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
Sweets- re: fan brush - try any art supply store. You'd be amazed to see the array of brushes for cheaper than Nordies.
And welcome back Cedar! Haven't seen ya around these parts for a while!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
Sister, I was going to provide a link to show you mine, but it seems Aromaleigh no longer carries it. I bought it a few years ago. Anyway....brush preferences seem as individual as people. I did see what looked like a nice Sephora brush yesterday. I also like some LM, Chanel, MAC brushes. I'm sorry I'm not more help. I think Stila gets good reviews.....I'm sure more members will chime in here to help.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:27 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |