Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
microfiber washcloths under a dollar
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
existential lady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
Face cloths in the automotive department???!!! How do you know they don't have some nasty chemicals in them? I would be afraid to put them near my face. Just like plastic bags, not all are food quality, you can't reuse just any bag for food. I am going by my gut here. Any chemist types here have an educated opinion?
JJcookalot

Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:46 am      Reply with quote
In doing some research on these wonderful cloths they say that they can get rid of "milla". Has anyone had this success?
Has anyone used the cloths from PSF yet?
I can see another order brewing.... Very Happy
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:35 am      Reply with quote
JJcookalot wrote:
In doing some research on these wonderful cloths they say that they can get rid of "milla". Has anyone had this success?
Has anyone used the cloths from PSF yet?
I can see another order brewing.... Very Happy

I have not ordered the PSF cloths yet. The price is excellent. I see an order coming soon. Smile I am confident that Darren at PSF did a lot of research on cloths before he starting selling them.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
existential lady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:46 am      Reply with quote
Winnie, where on EDS are the PSF cloths? I can't find them. TIA
JJcookalot

Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:24 am      Reply with quote
The clothes are on the PSF website - tried to link website but I am a newbie Embarassed
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
existential lady wrote:
Winnie, where on EDS are the PSF cloths? I can't find them. TIA

EDS does not seem to have them yet. Once on PSF go to accessories on your left:
www.pureskinformulations.com

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Mischa
5% products discount

Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
kylala wrote:
I have used the clarisonic and the micro fiber cloths. The absolute best thing I have ever cleaned my face with is the micro fiber cloth that NCN sells. My skin looks so much better since I bought mine. Believe me, I don't rave about much.

Same here, I had never used one before until I ordered mine from NCN when I started the whole CP regime. I love my micro fiber cloth too.

5% products discount

Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:11 am      Reply with quote
Whether your microfiber cloth used to clean your face comes from the automotive department or a high-end cosmetic counter is not very relevant. What’s more important to look for when purchasing a microfiber cloth is the content and construction of the fabric.
When a textile manufacturer creates a fabric, they don’t determine the end use of the product. The same fabric can be used for a washcloth or a car detailer. It’s all in the marketing. Marketing creates terms such as “dermal grade” to make you think that there is a difference with their product. I’ve worked with textile manufacturers and have happily bought my face cloths from the automotive department and recently found excellent washcloths at my local hardware store for a reasonable price ($2.00 each). I ordered 30 because I use a fresh washcloth every day. (I’ll explain how I use and care for them in the next post.) In response to the reader who was concerned about chemicals on cloths purchased in the automotive section, I haven’t seen this to be the case. If they were to pre-treat it with a cleaning agent, then it would have to be clearly labeled on the package. In fact, if you’ve never been around a car enthusiast, then trust me when I tell you that they are more fanatical about the cloths that touch their “babies”.

What makes one microfiber cloth better than another? Consider how sheets can vary in quality based on the threadcount, material and weave. A microfiber cloth is basically a fabric with fiber strands less than one denier. To put this into perspective, a human hair is approximately 20 denier and a good quality microfiber is .01 to .02 denier. These extra fine fibers are what give microfiber its incredible, silky soft feel.

Microfibers currently being produced are constructed from one or a blend of the following synthetic materials: acrylic, nylon, polyester and rayon. When looking for a good face cloth, you should look for a blend of 80% polyester/20% nylon (also called polyamide) or even better, a 70/30 blend. Cheaper products may use more polyester because it is less expensive than nylon.

Many microfibers are constructed with a nylon core wrapped with polyester. This blend gives the microfiber its unique characteristic of being able to pick up both water and oil. To further enhance its effectiveness, the fibers are split down the core creating wedges that form a star or snowflake-like pattern. These wedges help to pick up and trap even more dirt. This is an expensive process performed by costly equipment and best done in a clean room environment. Many cheap fabric manufacturers skip this step entirely.

A good quality cloth doesn’t necessarily have to have split fibers. Another very important component to consider when evaluating the quality of the cloth is how the fibers are woven. Different weaves are better for different applications. For example, a terry cloth texture is very good for picking up dirt and buffing while a waffle pattern (pique) is good for absorbing a lot of water, thus good for drying.

The density of the fabric also affects the quality of the cloth. Some of the best microfiber cloths have up to 225,000 fibers per square inch (typical range 90,000 – 225,000). The more fibers, the better absorbency the cloth has. Keep in mind though that a better quality face cloth should be dense, however you do not want a too heavy or thick pile cloth because it will be too hard to wring the water from.

Color can actually affect how soft a cloth feels. This is probably due to the different chemicals used to obtain different colors and the temperature used to treat the fabric during the dying process. When I purchased the washcloths from the hardware store, I ordered the yellow and light blue, but not the green. I’ve read that lighter colors are typically softer which would make sense because darker colors require a higher temperature during the dye process, which could damage the extremely delicate fibers.
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Kara, that was very informative.

Kimberly
kara8675309
5% products discount

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:29 am      Reply with quote
Once you understand how a microfiber cloth is constructed, then you can clearly see that the benefits of using microfiber is not just hype, there’s actual science to explain the superior cleaning properties of microfiber. In fact, an early adopter of this cloth was used by the semi-conductor industry to be used in clean rooms during the manufacturing of microchips. If the semi-conducting manufacturers rely on microfiber cloths with no cleaning fluid to pick up all of the dust in their clean rooms, imagine how well it can clean your body and house!

I’ve found that it is best to completely wet the washcloth and then wring the excess water. When removing makeup or using it to slough your body, it’s best to use strokes in one direction, and continuously move to a clean section on the cloth. This way you do not redeposit any dirt back onto your skin. Sometimes I place the cleanser on my body and other times I put it on the washcloth.

Since using self tanner, I have found this to be the only effective exfoliator. In fact, I am now experimenting with different cleaning products to clean the debris left in my bathtub. (I know it’s gross, but any suggestions would be appreciated.) I found that the microfiber cloth is so good at attaching and lifting dirt from your skin that it is actually quite tiresome to use the cloth on your entire body because it sticks to your skin (kind of like trying to rub a rubberband on your skin). So I don’t exfoliate my body every day. I also find that it’s easier to use if I wrap the washcloth around a hard disk that fits in my hand. The disk works on the same concept of how sandpaper is easier to use with a sanding block. I hope this makes sense. I also find that using a microfiber cloth with oil and a vigorous scrub can clean up tanning mistakes on ankles and other places that are not so sensitive. Yes, it is very easy to over exfoliate with these cloths.

I also use a microfiber cloth to apply my liquid self-tanner. I took an automotive sponge and cut it in half and sewed closed the exposed edge. I’ll use circular strokes when applying tanner because I want to buff in the tanner. (Thanks to the many recommendations from this forum.)

Because these cloths are so effective at cleaning your makeup and skin, you’ll find that they quickly fill up with dirt, which is hard to remove manually. This is why I bought 30 washcloths because if I can visually see all of the dirt in the cloth, I am sure that there’s bacteria trapped in the cloth also. If you want to hand rinse your cloths, it is best to immerse in luke-warm water with soap.

Microfiber cloths can be machine-washed and in my opinion does a better job than I can. The trick is to only wash and dry microfiber with other microfiber products. This is another reason why I have so many cloths. I want to make a full load. Think of all the lint that comes out in your dryer. If you throw your microfiber cloths in with your regular laundry, than those 221,000 fibers per square inch are going to get clogged with lint from your laundry. Also, when washing microfiber, be sure to use cold to lukewarm water and a liquid and/or low sudsing detergent. The dryer should also not be set on high heat. Heat damages the fibers causing them to shrink and lose effectiveness. Do not use fabric softener or dryer sheets. The microfiber will trap the softener and will render the fabric useless at absorbing water.
autumnApple
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Kara for sharing such nice detail and knowledge of the microfiber cloths. I did learn a lot! I guess I don't "have to" buy the cloths at cosmetic stores.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
I bought both the 12 cloth and a pack of large microfiber cloths at walmart....they are identical just larger and more for your $$$$...they were in the kitchen towel section.
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Guys, I use a nice scrub on my face a.m. and p.m.. Do you think I'd get additional benefit from these cloths? Thank you! Think
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:06 am      Reply with quote
Thanks KAra I love these cloths and have many. I do like to wash them in the machine often because they pick up dirt so well.I find it doesn't come off well unless I rub soap directly on any discolored spots. I also like light colors but for a different reason, I want to see the dirt on them so I acn spot treat it.

I can't see the automotive cloths being coated. with any chemicals. That would be an extra cost step and possibly reduce the surface area so they would have no incentive to do it.

I'd like to have thread count etc. but I haven't noticed any detailed info on the packages I have purchased.
k! (orangewasabi)
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:33 pm      Reply with quote
ummm, gosh I feel stupid asking this but . . .

the microderm towels I have are different on each side.

one side is fluffy/looped and the other has a definate nape.

which side should I use on my face?
kara8675309
5% products discount

Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
Mars - I've found microfiber cloths to be better at exfoliating and removing makeup than regular facial scrubs. You can also use them for your entire body which would be more economical because you can constantly re-use the cloths. Perhaps you should start with just one. If you don't like it, then you can always use it as a cleaning rag; but I'm pretty confident that you'll probably end up buying lots more for all of your cleaning needs.

Sharky - Unfortunately, I cut off all of my tags/labels immediately upon opening them so I can't tell you exactly what were written on mine. I do know that all clothing manufacturers are required by law to have labels on all of their products with the fiber content. I am guessing that towels, sheets, blankets, etc. would also classify, but I'm not positive. You might not find the content written on the outside packaging, but you should be able to find the content written on those small white tags sewn into the seam of the item.
kara8675309
5% products discount

Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
sharky - I just realized that you were asking about thread count. Thread count would be harder to find because this is something that is not required to be stated on labels by law. Obviously, a high quality cloth would probably want to advertise the high thread count because it is a selling point, but then this probably means that you are going to have to pay more for the guaranteed quality. If you are looking for a deal, your best bet is probably searching on the internet from suppliers who give you this info. Sometimes suppliers will list weight vs. thread count. This is another way of identifying a good quality cloth. If you were to compare two cloths of similar weave, nap and size, the one that weighs more is denser and most likely also higher in thread count.
kara8675309
5% products discount

Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
k! - The side with the longer piles or loops should be able to hold more water, so would be better for drying or picking up general debris. The shorter side should be better for polishing and scrubbing.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
I know other people have chimed in about this, but I just have to share: I found a pack of twelve baby washcloths on sale for three dollars at TJ Maxx. They actually say "got milk?" on the labels, and they came with a rattle, but whatever. Laughing

They're super-soft, TINY (about four inches square), and come in two shades of pink plus white. I love them because I can use one every day to make sure it's clean and not really run out, and they're all cotton so I can bleach them to make sure they're clean. And hey, free rattle! Very Happy

For what it's worth, there were MANY other brands of multi-packs of baby washcloths, all for under $5, and packs of at least eight and sometimes up to 20. I liked these ones the best, but there were so many and all on clearance, I may just buy some more. SO cheap. I wish I'd never paid $15 for a Jane Iredale Magic Mitt!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
Cadia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
I wish I'd never paid $15 for a Jane Iredale Magic Mitt!

I agree. Those were waste of money. No magic and no free rattle either Laughing
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2012 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
Reviving this thread...

I am looking for a microfiber wash cloth that I can use without cleanser, I would probably use it every other day.
I need something gentle, and I have been considering the Jane Iredale magic mitt, but the reviews on EDS are not encouraging... What other brands should I look into? I do not want to damage my skin layer, just remove make-up, dirt and dead skin cells.

TIA!
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 18, 2012 6:32 am      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
I know other people have chimed in about this, but I just have to share: I found a pack of twelve baby washcloths on sale for three dollars at TJ Maxx. They actually say "got milk?" on the labels, and they came with a rattle, but whatever. Laughing

They're super-soft, TINY (about four inches square), and come in two shades of pink plus white. I love them because I can use one every day to make sure it's clean and not really run out, and they're all cotton so I can bleach them to make sure they're clean. And hey, free rattle! Very Happy

For what it's worth, there were MANY other brands of multi-packs of baby washcloths, all for under $5, and packs of at least eight and sometimes up to 20. I liked these ones the best, but there were so many and all on clearance, I may just buy some more. SO cheap. I wish I'd never paid $15 for a Jane Iredale Magic Mitt!

I use these too. I think mine came from Babies R Us or Target but I used them on my babies in the tub. Now my babies are 8 and 10 and I use them on myself every night. The cotton is so soft and they are nice and thin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 18, 2012 6:44 am      Reply with quote
Fitgineer did you read Kara's lengthy posts? They are very informative and suggest you don't need specific brands but specific properties, and also plenty of cloths. From what I have read damaging your skin is about technique rather than the product, less is more with a microfibre cloth.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 18, 2012 8:06 am      Reply with quote
This is what I use.

http://www.qvc.com/JoeCampanellis-40-piece-12-x-12-Microfiber-Towel-Set-Search-Results.product.V29262.html?sc=V29262-SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-14-_-V29262&catentryImage=http://images-p.qvc.com/is/image/v/62/v29262.001?$uslarge$

I use the pink and blue for my face and the rest are used around the house. When I have used most of them or getting low on the ones for my face I throw them in the washing machine with soap but NO fabric softener. These last forever and are really inexpensive.

I clean up as I go when I am cooking. i.e. pots/pan and anything else that doesn't go in the dishwasher. These cloths will dry a pan faster than you can say "dry a pan". They are also great for dusting and washing windows.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 18, 2012 10:08 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
Fitgineer did you read Kara's lengthy posts? They are very informative and suggest you don't need specific brands but specific properties, and also plenty of cloths. From what I have read damaging your skin is about technique rather than the product, less is more with a microfibre cloth.

I did read it... thank you for pointing that out. I guess I have a hard time believing that any brand would work well Smile
But I'll do some experimentation!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:55 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |