Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Can I use glycerin as a moisturizer?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
xxndnromeoxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:49 pm      Reply with quote
CVS has one too, it's really cheap too.

According to this:

http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acne_dete...e/printable.htm

It has a 0/5 comedogenic and 0/5 irritability rating. Every single moisturizer I've seen has a really comedogenic ingredient, or few (and always clog my pores badly, no matter how gentle and non comedeogenic it says it is. This one seems pretty good for dabbing on to minimally dry skin after washing.

Has anyone tried it? How did it go?

It seems like the ultimate moisturizer. I don't know if it's bad for skin or something so I am asking but it says "
* A valuable aid for chapped skin." so I am assuming it should be good to minimally use on the face and dab on to dry areas too.

So let me know if you've tried it. I am thinking about diluting it in water as it says, and then dabbing it on my dry areas of my face.

Will it absorb in or is it bad for skin?

Thanks Smile
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:49 am      Reply with quote
I mix 10% glycerin with bottled water (no distilled avail near me) and I find that to be ok. But I have very weird dry/acne prone skin and compared to other moisturisers I have tried - just as effective, if not better due to the lack of irritants.

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:03 am      Reply with quote
I am not sure but I always found it in the top of moisture ingredient.
John C. Hill
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:20 am      Reply with quote
Yes, but there are tips on how to use it as a "moisturizer". By definition, glycerin is a "humectant". That means it has the ability to draw moisture (water) to itself. It just LOVES water as a matter of fact! That's why you need this tip. Cuppre is right, dilute it down when using it as a moisturizer. I think maybe just 5% glycerin diluted in 95% water would be better, and then rub that on the skin and leave it in place.

One company that uses this to their advantage in a "24 Hour Moisturizing Lotion" is Gold Bond Ultimate Healing. They use Glycerin, combined with an ingredient that my main employer sells called "hydrolyzed jojoba esters" and this REALLY draws moisture to the skin. It really works...even better than glycerin alone according to our studies.

If you were to use pure glycerin on the skin, it would literally draw the moisture right out of your skin! It would literally dry you out. So you need to use a very dilute amount so that it simply draws moisture from the air to your skin and hydrates it.

As an example of how pure glycerin can draw moisture right out of your skin.... If anyone has tried some of the novelty cosmetic formulas for enhancing sexual experiences such as "Heating Lotions" and "Lubricants that Heat", etc. They are almost pure glycerin. And, the process of drawing water out of the skin actually gives a heating feeling at the point of application.

Cosmetic Science is cool isn't it....?!
Cool

John

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:47 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for your responses,

I should then dilute it more so than just 2 to three parts. However, even though it says it is non comedogenic do you think it can cause any problems with acne prone skin if used correctly in the right amount of moisture?

John, great read! The last part was fairly interesting! Laughing
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:13 am      Reply with quote
xxndnromeoxx wrote:

I should then dilute it more so than just 2 to three parts. However, even though it says it is non comedogenic do you think it can cause any problems with acne prone skin if used correctly in the right amount of moisture?

I think the best way is by trial and error. I have to use a smaller ratio than that or it clogs my pores. And I am not acne prone. Smile

hth
montrealgal
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:58 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |