Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Should I be using a toner?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
skinprofusion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:00 am      Reply with quote
Hello all,
I've heard by a few people that a toner should be used after you wash your face, and others say it's just a waste of time, What does a toner do? should i be using one, and if so what kind(very sensative skin). I just wash my face a put my everyday creams on, and at night Retin-A. Thanks for your help
Krys Very Happy
Gucci
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:31 am      Reply with quote
Hi

I always use a toner and have extra sensitive skin.

I remember being told years ago that if you dont cleanse and tone you might as well not put any other products on your face.

I always use the Gatineau serenite cleanser and toner (no alcohol).

If I cleanse and tone morning and night, my skin is far smoother and cleaner, also my products go on easier. If I dont my skin is kind of rough, doesnt feel soft etc.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:01 am      Reply with quote
I'd heard that toners were a waste of time too, but I must admit that using pure rosewater makes stuff stick better. Trouble is, with all the junk I put on my face these days, I often forget Confused

Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:49 am      Reply with quote
From what I understand a toner helps you remove any last traces of makeup that your cleanser missed, and also helps return your skin to the right pH level (I hope I'm not confusing this). Different toners do additional things as well. So you could have some that add a bit of moisture to the skin, some that exfoliate your skin (e.g. contain AHAs), or some that help normalise oil production.

In my opinion, looking at just a "normal" toner without AHAs or any funky ingredients, I don't think it's necessary. I still use one though because I like it and find that it makes my skin feel nicer.

Mabsy
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy...

You're right about the toner returning the skin to the proper pH. It seems to me that if that's all it did, that would be plenty of reason to use one. If I understand correctly, cleansing the skin changes the pH and most of the purpose of the toner is to return it to the proper pH.

For me, I use a toner that has aloe and it feels very refreshing and soothing. It does remove any traces of makeup that cleanser didn't get.

In the morning I cleanse and tone and use a serum and light moisturizer. Because I work from home, I don't always apply makeup and this routine gives my skin the proper protection. If later in the day I go out and need makeup, I just swipe a cotton pad of toner over my skin and re-apply moisturizer to help the makeup go on smoother.

One thing I do have to watch is that some toners (probably too strong) make my nose and the area on either side of the nose look red. Everytime I see this happen, if I change toners, it goes away. The one I'm using now that contains aloe is working great!

JUDY

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
I believe toners are used to level your pH. However, most topical treatments require that your skin be within 2.5-4 pH levels in order for it to be effective (i.e. topical C) and a toner does that. The problem is that how does one know what pH unless it says so in the bottle? Most labels don't even tell what pH is required to make your treatment fully effective.
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
Really, once you wash off the cleanser, your skin is within fractions of it's normal pH level, which is in the neutral range in and/or around 7.0. Most soaps (yikes!) and cleansers are on the acidic side, and tap water is usually pretty basic. So once you rinse off your cleanser, they neutralize to close to where you should be on the pH scale.

Toners also act as astringents to cleanse even deeper and open up pores to accept either a topical treatment, or your mositurizer.
skinprofusion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
JudyMarshall wrote:
Mabsy...

You're right about the toner returning the skin to the proper pH. It seems to me that if that's all it did, that would be plenty of reason to use one. If I understand correctly, cleansing the skin changes the pH and most of the purpose of the toner is to return it to the proper pH.

For me, I use a toner that has aloe and it feels very refreshing and soothing. It does remove any traces of makeup that cleanser didn't get.

In the morning I cleanse and tone and use a serum and light moisturizer. Because I work from home, I don't always apply makeup and this routine gives my skin the proper protection. If later in the day I go out and need makeup, I just swipe a cotton pad of toner over my skin and re-apply moisturizer to help the makeup go on smoother.

One thing I do have to watch is that some toners (probably too strong) make my nose and the area on either side of the nose look red. Everytime I see this happen, if I change toners, it goes away. The one I'm using now that contains aloe is working great!

JUDY
Ok what if your cleanser is soap free, and is ph balanced, then is a toner needed, Exclamation
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy, my dear, that is a VERY good question. hmm And, I'm not sure there is a simple answer.

As someone else said, some water is very basic (low pH), but other water is not. For instance, my water is well water and is very alkaline (high pH). So, the pH of your water will be a factor. And as someone said, different cleansers and creams have a different pH. I'd say that if the product doesn't specify, then you'd almost have to figure it out by trial and error. Try using a toner and see how that feels and looks; then try not using one and see how that is. Most of the time, your skin will tell you if what you're doing is working or if it isn't.

I'd also say that if your cleanser is pH balanced, then you have a better chance of not needing a toner than someone whose cleanser does not specifiy pH balance.

JUDY

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
traditionally a toner was a step that had to be done and was [and still, typically is] an alcohol that removed oil that remained on the skin from an oil based cleanser. The oil isn't removed from using water .... that's why some cleansers are also "tissue off".

So, if you don't use an oil based cleanser, you don't need an alcohol based toner.

however, I use a botanical based toner as an extra hydration step and to give my skin an even surface.
Mabsy

Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:46 am      Reply with quote
I just use it 'coz I like it Embarassed I never really thought too deeply about the chemistry or logic of it to be honest. It just makes my skin feel nice - therefore I buy it Very Happy
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:38 am      Reply with quote
FYI basic is the same as alkaline. A solution is either basic (alkaline) or acidic. Acidic is low pH, and basic (alkaline) is high pH.
nikkigardens
5% products discount

Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
skinprofusion wrote:
Hello all,
I've heard by a few people that a toner should be used after you wash your face, and others say it's just a waste of time, What does a toner do? should i be using one, and if so what kind(very sensative skin). I just wash my face a put my everyday creams on, and at night Retin-A. Thanks for your help
Krys Very Happy

Hi skinprofusion,

to answer your question, toners are used to get rid of dirt, oil, make up and other residues not removed by soap or skin cleanser. They are also best if you have sensitive skin since they are free from alcohol.

I use toners only during the night before i hit the haysack. My daily cleanser is cetaphil, but it seems to be too mild to get rid of my make-up fully so i follow it up with Nivea Moisturizing Toner. In the mornings though i don't use it since sleeping over night did not expose my face to any kind of dirt so i just cleanse with cetaphil, and moisturize with Aveeno moisturizer with UVA and UVB protectants.
nikkigardens
5% products discount

Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
JUDY[/quote]Ok what if your cleanser is soap free, and is ph balanced, then is a toner needed, Exclamation[/quote]

Cetaphil is also soap free and is very mild skin cleanser. You may opt to use toner if you believe that your skin has not been completely cleansed of oil and grime. I use toners after cetaphil to fully get rid of make-up.
Dabawenya62
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hi All!

Since I was a teenager I always use Toner to extra clean my face. With a normal to oily skin before, I would use Astringent which i think has a slight alcohol content, but now that my skin has change to somewhat dry/sensitive, I've been using a non-alcohol ones or that would say for Sensitive skin.

It seems that using Toner after cleansing your face just makes it more cleaner and supple.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know anymore you guys, Thanks for answering to the post, just seems like everytime i use a toner even if it's alchol free, and for sensative skin, all that rubbing makes me red, Sometimes I just like spraying water on my face, feels very cooling, But who knows if it's ph balanced Idea
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
Actually, toners can be sprayed on, splashed on with your hands, or applied with a cotton pad.

Not sure what you mean by "all that rubbing". When I use a cotton pad, I just lightly swipe it over my face and neck, no rubbing.

I have used a toner that was in a spray bottle and I like that, but it wasn't a fine enough mist spray, so after spraying it on my face, I felt I still needed to rub it over my face with my hands or a cotton pad to evenly distribute it. Also, I'm not sure that you don't waste some toner by spraying.

The probably disadvantage of rubbing it with your hands is that if you have anything on your hands, it could be transferred to your face. What I mean by that is someone could have used some other product and some residue might still be on your hands... or some oil might be transferred by your hands. I guess I think the less you touch your face with your hands, the better.

If you can find a bottle that sprays a fine mist, that might be your preference. Just mist your face and let it dry.

JUDY Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:51 am      Reply with quote
http://www.beautydeals.net/shop/list.html?categ=159 Have any of you guys tried this?
Mabsy

Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:59 am      Reply with quote
skinprofusion - yes I use the Evian spray in summer to freshen up on hot days or just when I'm feeling tired. It is quite nice but I wouldn't really say that it's a toner though...
skinprofusion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:17 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
skinprofusion - yes I use the Evian spray in summer to freshen up on hot days or just when I'm feeling tired. It is quite nice but I wouldn't really say that it's a toner though...
Thanks Mabsy, I went to the Evian website thinking it might be on there, but all i saw was drinking water, hehe. Thats funny that it doesn'say it's a toner I guess it's just Evian water. Confused
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
I have a tiny atomizer that I keep in my purse with rosewater in it. I love to mist my face in the summer to freshen me up in the middle of the day. Nothing like the essence of fresh rose to scare away the summer smells of dog poop and hot garbage cans. Rolling Eyes
Miss Shoes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
me too!!!!!!!
I love Rosewater and I also keep one in my fridge. So when I get home after a long, hot day I just open the door and reach for the rosewater. A few cool mists and I feel so refreshed Drool .

I use a toner on a cotton pad after I cleanse and then I spray with rosewater a few minutes later. Rose is very calming & soothing so you shouldn't have a problem using it
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:25 am      Reply with quote
Oooooh! Miss Shoes, what a good idea! I'm going to put a bottle of rosewater in my fridge too. That would be great coming home from work!
I put my eye creme in the fridge for a while (you know how they tell you to do in InStyle), but I would forget to take it upstairs at night, and then you have to take it back down to the kitchen before bed. Too much trouble! Rolling Eyes
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:50 am      Reply with quote
I use Aveda skin firming toner. After cleansing I spray on and rub gently in. I also use it during the day to freshen my makeup. When I use a toner it seems my skin feels much softer.
Myra

Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
Toners hydrate your skin cells, moisturizers protect from the outside environment. I love Jurlique's Rosewater Freshener. You can use it over make up as well. Also the aromatherapy benefits of rose are great. It balaces and harmonizes. Great for de-stressing. The more the skin cells are hydrated the smoother your skin (plumper at a close up look). I carry a small one in my purse then a full size at home. (ok, I admit it, I'm a product junkie). I get all my beauty stuff at http://www.saffronrouge.com - they have the two sizes.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:38 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |