Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Supplements for Stress/Grief - help please
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:38 am      Reply with quote
Hi,
Can anyone recommend supplements to try to offest the physical impact of stress etc?

In the last two years my OH has been made redundant twice and suffered depression - I had to be strong for him, at the same time I have been under extreme stress at work due to a colleague who has anger issues, has threatened me and a management chain who seem disinclined to do anything positive to resolve the issue. With all this going on I have soldiered on, though exhausted and recently its been making me feel quite ill but I've kept going in the hopes things woudl improve (which to some extent they did as OH now in good job and much happier). Through all this I have had my horses but my one horse Mai has been my sanctuary. I have had her since she was two years old and a sad poorly little horse who everyone told me I was mad to take on but she proved to be my horse of a lifetime.

On thursday morning I went to the yard where she was kept to do morning checks and found her with a broken leg - it was a catastophic injury and I had to say goodbye as nothing could be done. She was 11.

I am bereft, like part of me went with her and I dont know how to cope.

I am trying cope though, but I have no appetite and can't sleep although I am trying to eat - I just feel like I've got to my limit and can't take anymore - I am exhausted and heartbroken. I'm taking Bach rescue remedy, Kalms (a natural herbal remedy for stress) and a womens multi vit.
But I know all this cant be good for me or my health - is there anything else I can do /take to try to offset the physical isues until I can pull myself together.
Thanks

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:13 am      Reply with quote
Luicia, I am sorry to hear you are going through such a hard time. I really can't offer much advice, but that a close friend was dealing with depression and found St. John's Wort (both pills and tea) to work really well for him, rather than prescription meds. And I'm really sorry to hear about your horse Mai. 11 is young for a horse so to have to say good bye to her much have been devestating.
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:46 am      Reply with quote
Thanks - people think its silly because she was 'just' a horse but I am truely devastated.

To the world a horse, but to me the world.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi Lucia, hugs to you. I think if you're not sleeping and you've lost your appetite it might be time to see a doctor. I've lived with family that has suffered from depression and it's amazing what medication can do. If you really don't want to go that route, I'd suggest taking up yoga and meditation. it'll relax your whole body, and make it easier for you to sleep. I would be careful taking St. John's Wort if you're on birth control of any kind-- it's been known to interfere with its effectiveness.

Hope you're feeling better.
melanie haber
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:07 am      Reply with quote
Lucia, I am sorry about everything.

My first recommendation is a strong B-Complex. Or at least some b-6 and b-3. Second to that I would add fish oil. (I take Fisol capsules, which have an enteric coating.)

I hope things stabilize for you soon.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:17 am      Reply with quote
Lucia,

My deepest sympathy on the lose of your beloved Mai. It is so hard to have to say goodbye to someone you love so much.

Lucia, please be gentle with yourself. Allow yourself to grieve. What you are feeling is so natural and necessary to come out on the other side.

The best thing you can do for yourself is talk. Get your feeling out. It is best if you have a close friend that you feel comfortable saying anything to. Be sure that the person you talk to is a good listener and never makes you feel that your thoughts and emotions are not valid. Feelings are neither right nor wrong...they just are.

Second best to a friend is writing. Keep a journal and write whatever you choose (positive to negative). I am glad that you let your EDS friends know what is going on.

Try to eat Lucia. Even if you make yourself eat some fresh fruits and lots of water. Once you get your strength back perhaps you can get out there and walk. Exercise is a great release for emotional pain. Don't forget to cry if you feel like it.

Don't hesitate to talk to your doctor. There are times that a little medication can greatly help overcome (so one can deal with) emotional pain.

My very best Lucia for better days ahead.

Winnie

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Lola Moroney
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:40 am      Reply with quote
So very sorry to hear of all your sorrow and I totally agree with some of the other forum users do not be alone and talk to a friend or your doctor people understand and I have lost animals but to me they were part of my family so all horse/pet owners understand.
Have not much advice to offer just had to say I am thinking of you
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks guys - just don't know what to do with myself at the moment. Sad Crying or Very sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
Lucia wrote:
Thanks - people think its silly because she was 'just' a horse but I am truely devastated.

To the world a horse, but to me the world.

You are a wonderful and sensitive woman.I think most of us understand your love of your horse.
My first thought was increase those B vitamins and give yourself hugs.You are under such stress right now.Winnie gave some very good advice as well as others here. Dont listen to those that are full of toxic negativity. You are in prayers and thoughts of healing.
God bless you
Linda Pray
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks guys... Crying or Very sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
Lucia I too am sorry to hear about your beloved horse - as a pet owner, I fully sympathise with your feelings of loss. Combined with the other feelings you describe, I would urge you to see your doctor and get some medication. I've been on anti-depressants twice in my life for short periods (6 months at a time) and can honestly say without them, I'd have been a basket case! St. John's Wort and other natural remedies are wonderful when you feel "a bit off", but there's nothing like 50mg of Zoloft once a day to perk you right up Very Happy .

Best of luck Lucia
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
anya wrote:
Lucia I too am sorry to hear about your beloved horse - as a pet owner, I fully sympathise with your feelings of loss. Combined with the other feelings you describe, I would urge you to see your doctor and get some medication. I've been on anti-depressants twice in my life for short periods (6 months at a time) and can honestly say without them, I'd have been a basket case! St. John's Wort and other natural remedies are wonderful when you feel "a bit off", but there's nothing like 50mg of Zoloft once a day to perk you right up Very Happy .

Best of luck Lucia

I have to say I agree with this, while I dont always think that RX drugs are the only answer (Winnie gave great advice on other things) they can really help, especially at difficult times like this--and dont have to be a long term answer. Cymbalta is a truly wonderful medication and has really helped some people I know, myself included. Whatever you decide to do please take care of yourself and feel free to vent here.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
anomaly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
Just don't take St. John's Wort and Zoloft at the same time. It can cause a pretty terrible reaction.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:35 am      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone - Am going to see if I can get an appointment to see my Doc this week.
x

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:33 am      Reply with quote
Oh Lucia, I am so sorry about the loss of your horse. Only people who have pets can understand that a beloved pet is much more than "just an animal". When a being, any being, is woven into the fabric of your life, it's a grevious loss when they pass.

You've been given a lot of great advice already. First and foremost, allow yourself to grieve; it's important to acknowledge how much she meant to you. Only after that will the void begin to fill; it'll take time, but you WILL be able to think about her without crying. I'm a strong advocate of herbal remedies, but do be careful of St. Johns Wort. It can be effective in small doses, but it can also interact with other medications you may be taking. Some other effective herbals that can help also include valerian, ginger and passionflower but they are not overnight treatments.

I like Winnie's idea of writing and talking. When I lost my father at 8 years old, I began a letter to my father and somehow never stopped. Whenever anything of great moment happens to me good or bad, I write for my own eyes only. It's a way of talking and really helps with the grieving process.

If all else fails, by all means talk to your doctor; for a short time I took a small dose of anti-depressants and it really helped me with my PMS. Unfortunately, it also tamped down my artistic passion, I didn't feel like painting or drawing, so I stopped [after consulting with my doc]. That's when I started taking herbals to deal with the emotional moodswings I get before my moontime.

Good luck and big hugs,

athena

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:27 am      Reply with quote
Thankyou.
x

Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:34 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |